Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Better put backflow preventers on the hot/cold feeds to the shower if you intend to do that... unless you want the toilet filling with warmish water and the sink valves both having a mind of their own. Much like electricity, water takes the easiest path, if that means through the water heater, up the hot pipe, through the shower hot valve, and through the shower cold valve to the sink cold valve for 50% hot/cold coming out the cold valve, so be it.

E: more specifically you will always get some flow from each source, according to its supply capability and the restriction on the wire/pipe from it to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I always wondered how we occasionally ended up with hot water in the cold water lines in my college dorm. That makes sense, there were a number of older sinks and showers in the building with separate hot/cold controls that assholes probably plugged up from time to time.

drat was that ever weird when some jackass opened the windows in the middle of winter so the bathroom was cold but the toilets were full of hot water.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

wolrah posted:

I always wondered how we occasionally ended up with hot water in the cold water lines in my college dorm. That makes sense, there were a number of older sinks and showers in the building with separate hot/cold controls that assholes probably plugged up from time to time.

drat was that ever weird when some jackass opened the windows in the middle of winter so the bathroom was cold but the toilets were full of hot water.

They might have just mixed the hot in to keep pipes from freezing.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

That would be a reasonable enough explanation, but it happened in the warm months too.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

wolrah posted:

That would be a reasonable enough explanation, but it happened in the warm months too.

"Let's play around with the plumbing every 6 months in order to save the University on water heating bills" said no maintenance guy ever

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

That doesn't work terribly well - it really doesn't extend the time all that much more.

It's easier to keep the water moving, which I imagine it does quite well in a dorm unless it's a holiday where most people have gone home.

This is more likely to be good old fashioned "ain't broke enough to bother fixing."

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Year round warm water is a sign that somebody did the cheap route with a recirculating pump and used the cold line patched into the hot at the end of the system.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Arrath posted:

Good god it must take an hour to get the temperature just right.
This is what every bathtub in Raccoon City must look like.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Slugworth posted:

This is what every bathtub in Raccoon City must look like.

:golfclap:

E: hot, cold, pressure, shower/tub faucet switch... drain?

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

NancyPants posted:

E: hot, cold, pressure, shower/tub faucet switch... drain?

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Hot water, cold water, bath oil, beer, and whiskey, all from the same tap.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I just remembered......if this is one of the old apartments in the Rockaway beach area - they actually had a salt water tap in the tub. That could explain one of them, as well as kinda fit in with the obvious age of the fixtures/tub.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Motronic posted:

I just remembered......if this is one of the old apartments in the Rockaway beach area - they actually had a salt water tap in the tub. That could explain one of them, as well as kinda fit in with the obvious age of the fixtures/tub.

:psyduck:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Motronic posted:

No, this presents more questions than it answers. Why would you want a saltwater tap? If you must be seawater grody, why wouldn't you just buy a box of Morton's?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
:cthulhu:

Rockaway is like 2 towns down the coast from Innsmouth.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NancyPants posted:

No, this presents more questions than it answers. Why would you want a saltwater tap? If you must be seawater grody, why wouldn't you just buy a box of Morton's?

It was a 40s/50s thing. As it was told to me people thought salt water was "restorative", and many of those apartments were intended as old folks/retirement communities. If they couldn't get to the beach and in the water, they could take a bath in the same stuff in their own home.

A bit of research now: I may have misremembered, or this happened on Brighton beach as well.

quote:

The buildings originally fronted directly onto the beach (until other houses were built behind them in 1950), they had salt water taps for the bathtubs, bringing the ocean right into your apartment. The separate stall shower had 5 shower heads controlled separately.

http://forgotten-ny.com/2010/01/brighton-beach-brooklyn/

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Interesting. It doesn't explain the lack of symmetry though. For some reason that's bothering me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, that kinda bothers me too.

Maybe it makes sense with the shower head layout or something......I haven't been able to find any other pictures.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Motronic posted:

It was a 40s/50s thing. As it was told to me people thought salt water was "restorative", and many of those apartments were intended as old folks/retirement communities. If they couldn't get to the beach and in the water, they could take a bath in the same stuff in their own home.

A bit of research now: I may have misremembered, or this happened on Brighton beach as well.

http://forgotten-ny.com/2010/01/brighton-beach-brooklyn/

Makes sense, the way you say it. Do you just know everything about everything? :science:

If it's for restorative cures, prob a good thing they didn't go with mercury or some irradiated liquid, huh?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

NancyPants posted:

If it's for restorative cures, prob a good thing they didn't go with mercury or some irradiated liquid, huh?

Oh they did those too.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Safety Dance posted:

Oh they did those too.

Huh, my grandma used to have a bottle of that stuff in her house that she'd put on us whenever we got scratched or something.

Glad I didn't get injured very often while I was there. And that she only had one very small, very old bottle.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

NancyPants posted:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Safety Dance posted:

Oh they did those too.

Keep in mind that radium got to be a marketing buzzwork along the lines of, I don't know, quantum or something. Companies would slap it on random-rear end products that in no way contained radium.

And also, y'know, on products that actually contained radium.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

TVs Ian posted:

Huh, my grandma used to have a bottle of that stuff in her house that she'd put on us whenever we got scratched or something.

Glad I didn't get injured very often while I was there. And that she only had one very small, very old bottle.

Hell I got that on all my minor scrapes growing up. It's chemical makeup is mostly not-mercury, and the usual solution is only 2% like it says on the bottle.

Also, still available most countries outside the US, Germany and France since it's wicked cheap and effective.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merbromin

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Safety Dance posted:

Oh they did those too.

Note that the US, France, and Germany are basically the only countries in the world where that's not available OTC. It's actually a really good topical antiseptic, especially for burns, and the FDA's removal from the GRAS list was more "better to be safe than sorry" than it was because anyone's ever gotten mercury poisoning from proper application of the stuff.

Good article here, although it is definitely :nms: and probably :nws: on account of images of burn victims: https://ispub.com/IJS/21/2/5354

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NancyPants posted:

Do you just know everything about everything? :science:

Yes.

Except all of those things I don't know.

(I like a lot of seeming random stuff and history so I have seemingly ridiculous knowledge about stuff when I volunteer knowledge......start expecting me to respond to everything and you'll see just how dumb I actually am)

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Counting down to kastein coming back in to rant about non-approved discussion in this thread.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I thought I was in the PYF Dangerous Chemicals thread or PYF Failed and Obsolete Technology for a bit. They both tend to veer into discussions like this occasionally.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Motronic posted:

Yes.

Except all of those things I don't know.

(I like a lot of seeming random stuff and history so I have seemingly ridiculous knowledge about stuff when I volunteer knowledge......start expecting me to respond to everything and you'll see just how dumb I actually am)

Know-er of all things... I posted this in the Fix it Fast thread but haven't gotten an answer...

"I have a small creek that runs behind my house. It floods pretty bad, and this year has been terrible. Didn't flood my house but has in the past. Though I have heard stories of flooding house further down stream this year.

I came home today and there are pink flags in my neighbors backyard, a couple on the creek edge and maybe another 5 or so in the corn field on the other side of the creek. They seemed to have no rhyme or reason as to their placings relative to each other. Meaning they didn't form a straight line, or seem to indicate any kind of easement etc. It seemed pretty random, but I'm sure it's not.

On one flag on the creek edge was written the following...

D/V (or Div)
Cut - 0.35

I'm guessing they are going dig the creek out to better handle the amount of water we have been getting.

If you can tell me more about what I may be seeing that would be great.

EDIT: Added more info in the other thread.

FrankeeFrankFrank fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 23, 2015

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Why not ask your neighbor? Or if the county did it you should have some contact info.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

WeaselWeaz posted:

Why not ask your neighbor? Or if the county did it you should have some contact info.

The neighbor is my uncle but he hasn't been staying there lately so he has no idea what's going on.

Yea I could probably make some calls. I'm going to see if they come back today and plant more flags.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

WeaselWeaz posted:

Because goons always post on the internet first.

In the process of buying a house that's old and during our search process this thread gave me a lot of stuff to look out for so thanks everyone.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

They're gonna take a third of a foot out (Cut of .35) uh, for a diversion? Maybe?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Friends of mine bought some unimproved property and are totally convinced they're gonna build an awesome off-grid commune. The pictures are starting to hit Facebook and it's looking promising.

"water tower"

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
It's not somewhere in Hawaii is it?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

I thought I was in the PYF Dangerous Chemicals thread or PYF Failed and Obsolete Technology for a bit. They both tend to veer into discussions like this occasionally.

Provide links, please?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Chemicals: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3602006
Technology: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495621

quote:

unimproved property
That's the first time I've come across that phrase and I love it, especially in context. "It's unimproved and your water tower isn't helping."

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Javid posted:

Friends of mine bought some unimproved property and are totally convinced they're gonna build an awesome off-grid commune. The pictures are starting to hit Facebook and it's looking promising.

"water tower"

450+ pounds of water on a structure not set into the ground. What could possibly go wrong?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

And built from driftwood, by the looks of it.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Are those 1x4s "sistered" together for the posts?

Surprised it isn't built out of pallet wood...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

kid sinister posted:

What the hell is going on there?

Some are for volume, some are for tone.