Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Irish Joe posted:

Granted. Anita Skarkeesian is like a vegetarian protesting at a Kentucky Fried Chicken. The proper response is to point and laugh, not stab her with a plastic spork.
Only gamers would have a problem basically being told the Bechdel test fails at almost every video game ever. That's also sort of my issue with Sarkeesian's level of criticism is that it never rises above the Bechdel test level with some basic undergrad level analysis; I find her specific criticisms evaluating specific texts really poorly handled or poorly researched. But again that doesn't excuse the disproportionate amount of vitriol at her. If anything it's video game culture's fault for placing way too much emphasis on someone's identity with playing video games that they can't even shrug off the most limp wristed criticisms a media as a whole. But there isn't a whole lot of thoughtful criticism in that sphere anyway, so any that show up is like a puddle in a desert.

At this point even a low tier AV Club tv reviewer has more insight and critical thought in what they're writing about than any long-winded thoughtpiece about video games culture from pretty much any games writer ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sarkeesian is trying to inform dum dums who don't know any better, not give you a phd lecture.

Also, you're responding to Irish Joe.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Why do goons/internet nerds not like Nick Pizzolatto? I remember there were people last year saying that they loved the first season despite the writing, which makes no sense to me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sober posted:

Only gamers would have a problem basically being told the Bechdel test fails at almost every video game ever. That's also sort of my issue with Sarkeesian's level of criticism is that it never rises above the Bechdel test level with some basic undergrad level analysis; I find her specific criticisms evaluating specific texts really poorly handled or poorly researched. But again that doesn't excuse the disproportionate amount of vitriol at her. If anything it's video game culture's fault for placing way too much emphasis on someone's identity with playing video games that they can't even shrug off the most limp wristed criticisms a media as a whole. But there isn't a whole lot of thoughtful criticism in that sphere anyway, so any that show up is like a puddle in a desert.

:agreed:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

IRQ posted:

Sarkeesian is trying to inform dum dums who don't know any better, not give you a phd lecture.

Also, you're responding to Irish Joe.
Ironically Irish Joe is not even the worst of what depths of depravity "gamers" can go. Sad days indeed.

savinhill posted:

Why do goons/internet nerds not like Nick Pizzolatto? I remember there were people last year saying that they loved the first season despite the writing, which makes no sense to me.
Umm, there was a Variety interview a while back (I think?), I'd like to think it was right after S1 finished airing, and he seemed like super pretentious and self-aggrandizing or something. I can't recall entirely as I think I just skimmed that interview but that's sort of the sentiment I was getting.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Sober posted:

Only gamers would have a problem basically being told the Bechdel test fails at almost every video game ever.

I think most gamers believe the Bechdel test shouldn't be applied to video games because, like sports, video games are about competition and overcoming challenges; not accurately portraying human relationships. For instance, no one sits down to play Doom hoping to watch a conversation between two women that is not about a man (one of the elements of the Bechdel test), and its unreasonable to call people who enjoy Doom misogynistic because of that. There is a time and place for all things. The View is a good time for women to shoot the poo poo, and Doom is a good time to kill demons with giant fuckoff laser weapons.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

So I watched the pilots of The Brink, Ballers, Killjoys, and Jonathan Strange... expecting at least one of them to be completely unwatchable

Not that any of these are, as of yet, the best TV I've ever seen, but I'm now interested in all of them... for the time being.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Jon Do posted:

So I watched the pilots of The Brink, Ballers, Killjoys, and Jonathan Strange... expecting at least one of them to be completely unwatchable

Not that any of these are, as of yet, the best TV I've ever seen, but I'm now interested in all of them... for the time being.

I got a kick out of The Brink. I was concerned that Robbins would be playing Bob Roberts again, and he’s not.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

precision posted:

It truly boggles my mind that there aren't more Popeye's in America. I don't care for much fast food but Popeye's is really good.

They have Bojangles...which is a poor Popeye's knockoff :colbert:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Postal Parcel posted:

Bojangles is a special place where you can physically purchase heart disease and diabetes.
Isn't Popeyes based out of America? There are plenty of Popeyes depending on what state you're in. One of the things I miss about Maryland.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There are lots of Popeye's in Florida, but not so much in some other states.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Postal Parcel posted:

Bojangles isn't a Popeyes knockoff you doof, they're known for their biscuit sandwiches.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I'm lucky enough to have a Popeye's nearby. Great food, but maybe a little too rich for me. Like, I got to try the pancake-battered chicken tenders they were offering for a limited time...I wanna say last year?

Anyway, I got halfway through my second tender before I heard a voice inside my chest cry out "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DP!"

I finished that tender (naturally uttering "Yes, Heart...for the love of God!" as I did so), but didn't have the strength for the rest. It was kind of impressive.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

pancake-battered chicken tenders

:eyepop:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can get some really good buttery biscuits at Popeye's. The jambalaya is also really good and not much worse than the ones you get at restaurants.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Sleeveless posted:

Judging by the fact that the first three episodes of this season have been like 80% Hannibal or Will staring off into the middle distance while ambient noise plays I'm pretty alright with a cancellation looming over Fullers head to remind him to not keep it completely lodged up his own rear end in a top hat.

Besides, now his schedule is freed up so he can spend more time making sure American Gods actually lives up to the premise unlike the book.
Hey the book was great, Neil Gaiman just has a problem with making an actual ending for his stuff though.

precision posted:

There are lots of Popeye's in Florida, but not so much in some other states.
The only Popeye's I know in the Pittsburgh region is in Wilkinsburg so I am never going there because nothing is worth to stick around Wilkinsburg. (granted Pittsburgh ghettos are tame compared to say Philly and Baltimore, but still)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

achillesforever6 posted:

The only Popeye's I know in the Pittsburgh region is in Wilkinsburg so I am never going there because nothing is worth to stick around Wilkinsburg. (granted Pittsburgh ghettos are tame compared to say Philly and Baltimore, but still)

There are a handful of others. One across from the North Shore, one in the South Side, one on Pitt Campus, and one is North Versailles.

There used to be one at the Homestead Waterfront, but it closed down years ago.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

achillesforever6 posted:

Hey the book was great, Neil Gaiman just has a problem with making an actual ending for his stuff though.

Unfortunately, Bryan Fuller and the creator of "Kings" offer no precedent for whether or not they know how to craft a successful, planned ending to a show.

There is precedent there for the show being great, though.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

bull3964 posted:

There are a handful of others. One across from the North Shore, one in the South Side, one on Pitt Campus, and one is North Versailles.

There used to be one at the Homestead Waterfront, but it closed down years ago.
Is that Popeye's out in NV by the Phoenix Theater? (Which I found is a pretty nice since it was kind of a dump when it was a Destinta, much cheaper than my Monroeville Mall Cinemark which is nice)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

achillesforever6 posted:

Is that Popeye's out in NV by the Phoenix Theater? (Which I found is a pretty nice since it was kind of a dump when it was a Destinta, much cheaper than my Monroeville Mall Cinemark which is nice)

Close, it's at the intersection of 30 and 48. Where the Wendy's used to be.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

less laughter posted:

Grace and Frankie is going to win the Emmy for best opening credits. Plus a whole bunch of other Emmys since it is Emmy voter catnip, but the opening credits one will be the only one that is deserved since it is an utterly mediocre show in every other regard.

Aw. I like it. But, that theme song is excellent therapy for the end of Reservoir Dogs.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
re: True Detective s2 premiere, it's certainly not a total piece of crap like people would have you believe but there was very, very little in it I found interesting. Farrell's performance and the cinematography/music were killer but the writing was absolutely terrible. I know the first season was pulpy as hell and not at all as philosophical/meaningful as people liked to pretend, but it was a drat sight better than this season's weird attempt to seem X-Treme. And Vaughn? Forget it. He literally objectively cannot do this role. There's one line where he has to say this thing about "I ain't jerkin' off in no cup" and it's not a great line but the right actor could definitely sell it but Vaughn, being not the right actor, sounds like a loving idiot. And I don't think his facial expression changed once in the entire episode except for when he raised an eyebrow after seeing a hot girl.

Also from the premiere the sexism issues are nowhere close to being fixed but that's a whole other kettle of fish I don't want to be getting in a debate about rn.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DivisionPost posted:

I'm lucky enough to have a Popeye's nearby. Great food, but maybe a little too rich for me. Like, I got to try the pancake-battered chicken tenders they were offering for a limited time...I wanna say last year?

Anyway, I got halfway through my second tender before I heard a voice inside my chest cry out "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DP!"

I finished that tender (naturally uttering "Yes, Heart...for the love of God!" as I did so), but didn't have the strength for the rest. It was kind of impressive.

Eating 15 Pancake Battered Chicken Tenders - Half a Star.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

it's certainly not a total piece of crap
. . .
there was very, very little in it I found interesting
the writing was absolutely terrible.
weird attempt to seem X-Treme
Vaughn literally objectively cannot do this role
the right actor could definitely sell it but Vaughn, being not the right actor, sounds like a loving idiot
the sexism issues are nowhere close to being fixed

It certainly sounds like a total piece of crap from your description.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

Bojangles isn't a Popeyes knockoff you doof, they're known for their biscuit sandwiches.

Okay man, whatever you say.
(Popeyes is still better)

To anyone keeping abreast of average tv ratings, what's the current standing between networks? My guess is, in order from best ratings to worst:
CBS
ABC
NBC
FOX
CW for being CW

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Postal Parcel posted:

Okay man, whatever you say.
(Popeyes is still better)

To anyone keeping abreast of average tv ratings, what's the current standing between networks? My guess is, in order from best ratings to worst:
CBS
ABC
NBC
FOX
CW for being CW

Hilariously, the CW is actually beating FOX/NBC occasionally.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Irish Joe posted:

It certainly sounds like a total piece of crap from your description.

Pretty visuals and music can cover up a lot and at least it ain't generic. I like something with enough trashy moments to make me laugh as opposed to something that doesn't entertain me in the slightest, so I got enough out of it without actually finding it good.

I didn't even get onto Rachel McAdams' character - the first major female character to get any development in this show and it's "acts quite masculine" - and the scene where her Dad just spells out her character's entire motivation for the audience.

I've seen a few people say they preferred this to the s1 premiere so I went back and watched that and it's a thousand times better. The characterisation is far better, the case is more interesting, and the actors sound far more natural saying the Nicky P dialogue.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

Hilariously, the CW is actually beating FOX/NBC occasionally.

To be fair the shows that CW beats are usually ones on their way out as it is.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Postal Parcel posted:

CBS
(massive gap)
ABC - has as many moderate successes as it does massive failures
FOX - strictly by virtue of having the leviathan Empire in its ranks
CW - In terms of relative success, naturally. the big 4 atings have dropped to the point that there's crossover with the CW's heights.
NBC - remains a dumpster fire that will almost certainly be rebranding soon without comedy beyond SNL and mid-season/summer shows

Party Plane Jones posted:

To be fair the shows that CW beats are usually ones on their way out as it is.

yeah like Hannibal :getin:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I wish the CW would bring in Constantine. :(

The IP even belongs to DC Comics!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
lol if you buy fast food that isnt tacos ever

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

NBC does fine when it shows football, hockey or televised talent competitions. Nobody watches anything else, regardless of whether it's really good or bad.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

I didn't even get onto Rachel McAdams' character - the first major female character to get any development in this show and it's "acts quite masculine" - and the scene where her Dad just spells out her character's entire motivation for the audience.

Isn't she playing a cop? How feminine is a cop going to be?

"Excuse me, sir, I'm sorry, but I'm going to arrest you if that's okay. I'm so sorry, please put your hands behind your back. Does this hurt? How are you feeling? You have the right to remain silent, but I'm here to listen if you feel like sharing your feelings."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Once Law & Order: SVU goes off the air, football, hockey and talent competitions is all they'll have. Maybe an occasional Olympics, too.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

CBS
(massive gap)
ABC - has as many moderate successes as it does massive failures
FOX - strictly by virtue of having the leviathan Empire in its ranks
CW - In terms of relative success, naturally. the big 4 atings have dropped to the point that there's crossover with the CW's heights.
NBC - remains a dumpster fire that will almost certainly be rebranding soon without comedy beyond SNL and mid-season/summer shows

yeah like Hannibal :getin:

Wow, NBC has been hitting that low? I mean, I understand CBS being miles ahead and ABC being next, but CW beating out NBC is hilarious.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

Isn't she playing a cop? How feminine is a cop going to be?

"Excuse me, sir, I'm sorry, but I'm going to arrest you if that's okay. I'm so sorry, please put your hands behind your back. Does this hurt? How are you feeling? You have the right to remain silent, but I'm here to listen if you feel like sharing your feelings."
That would probably be a pretty effective interrogation technique.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
American Odyssey is drat good TV, Your woman is a having some Jack Bauer days.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So starting in July you can add Showtime streaming to your Hulu sub for $8.99 a month. There is nothing in the article about if that content is going to have ads in it, but if I had to guess.... Hulu is getting a lot of licensing coups and starting to pull ahead so we should probably figure out a way to destroy it before it becomes the premiere streaming source because gently caress HULU AND THEIR AD MODEL. Like every time hulu wins a streaming license I'm like "great, guess I'll never see that show ever". I dunno if it's like this for yall, but I absolutely cannot binge watch poo poo on Hulu because of the ads.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

zoux posted:

There is nothing in the article about if that content is going to have ads in it, but if I had to guess....

Then you guess wrong.

Directly from showtime

quote:

You'll be able to stream current and classic SHOWTIME Original Series, hit movies, live sports, exclusive documentaries and comedy specials. Watch when they first premiere or catch up on old favorites – always commercial free!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

zoux posted:

So starting in July you can add Showtime streaming to your Hulu sub for $8.99 a month. There is nothing in the article about if that content is going to have ads in it, but if I had to guess.... Hulu is getting a lot of licensing coups and starting to pull ahead so we should probably figure out a way to destroy it before it becomes the premiere streaming source because gently caress HULU AND THEIR AD MODEL. Like every time hulu wins a streaming license I'm like "great, guess I'll never see that show ever". I dunno if it's like this for yall, but I absolutely cannot binge watch poo poo on Hulu because of the ads.

Showtime doesn't have commercials. that's the whole point.

• Locked thread