Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

psymonkey posted:

Have you been getting green drops from dungeons at all? That's usually where the more unique looking outfits come from.

Alternatively, just wait until job level 45... :D

Are those the pink equipment? I haven't gotten any my level but I did get a few from greed rolls after doing the low level dungeon group. But they were so weak by the time I got them that I haven't put them on. I guess I'll just have to keep looking plain until 45 then its fashion time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Velveteen posted:

Are those the pink equipment? I haven't gotten any my level but I did get a few from greed rolls after doing the low level dungeon group. But they were so weak by the time I got them that I haven't put them on. I guess I'll just have to keep looking plain until 45 then its fashion time!

Pink are basically drop versions of crafted items, greens are generally unique looking sets

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.

Velveteen posted:

no, the pink ones are pink drops, the green ones are green drops D:

Pink drops are just better versions of normal, craftable gear. Green drops are actual unique dungeon specific items.

e: fb

psymonkey fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 24, 2015

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Monk is in a great place. They didn't change a whole lot in terms of playstyle, but instead got a lot of QoL stuff. You can change forms without a target or blow your greased lightning stack on a big attack so losing them doesn't hurt so much. And it's a kamehameha.

Just got to 60 and finished MSQ on Monk. Really curious on how much some of the stuff will get used in endgame content, and the 58 move being a weaker invigorate feels slightly underwhelming even though it does mean I can have both, but form shift is amazing and elixir field gives us a little bit more aoe and has high enough potency to be good even on single targets.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

The biggest problem I've had with Chrysalis is that the most popular video for it (MTQ) doesn't mention the increased damage debuff that gets put on everyone before the meteors.

So you seem to get a lot of people that watched the guide and don't know what to do there, or people that didn't watch it and are never told about it from people that watched the guide.

This is compounded by the fact that a lot of new people are in there each time lately to finish the MQ.

Any group where I took a few seconds in chat to explain not to go through the tear until the debuff wears off has been a breeze.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Heavensward is really drat pretty.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

:agreed:

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Stormgale posted:

Very mobile, lots of instant cast and planning around/limiting RNG and planning with cards.

Cool, sounds like my bag then.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
Can someone explain the new gathering stuff to me in terms a child could understand? Is it actually possible to make decent money now?

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Paging Vandes

Do I save all cooldowns on DRG and use them together or just pop them on CD?

I know you at least used to save Ls for B4B

E: sorry, LS not PS

Doublestep fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 24, 2015

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Doublestep posted:

Paging Vandes

HT -> BL+BFB -> ID -> StrPot -> Dis -> IR+BotD -> CT -> PS+GK -> 4th -> Jump -> Phleb -> DFD/SSD -> TT -> DFD/SSD -> VT -> LegS+LS -> FT -> 4th

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Yeah I know the opener im just trying to figure out if I should be holding IR until B4B is back up later in the fight

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Is excal opening at all these days? I have a pal wanting to come over

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?

Doublestep posted:

Paging Vandes

I save all my damage cooldowns for the really big damage combo with BfB and LS, but I use Jumps basically whenever it's up since they shortened the cooldown.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tarranon posted:

It's probably still open early in the morning and other off peak times.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Finished the MSQ so I can finally read this thread again. Figured I would throw out some thoughts on the leveling experience sans plot.

The easy part is that the MSQ was insanely cool. Easily the best FF in years, no question. Now on to the tedious.

The leveling experience here was not good. As incredible as the MSQ is, the zone quest lines in the first 4 areas are not. The questing just feels awful after coming off the Witcher 3. The Churning Mists in particular is the singular worst questing experience I have seen in years. A bigger pile of incredibly basic questing I have never seen. It probably wouldn't have bothered me so much but the zones are really obviously designed with flight in mind and ground mounts are a huge afterthought. In particularly that meaningless wall on the West side of Tailfeather that forces you to trudge northward a fair bit and then loop back around to get to the entire other side of the zone is awful. Not to mention the 3 camps they send you to 4 or 5 times that all require running around cliffs. The balance of HW fates is really questionable as well. If I have my chocobo out then they are no problem but since that precludes me from being in queue I will be surprised if I ever do any fate grinding to level up other jobs. The last 2 zones were actually really well done thankfully, which is why I was so mad when I kept getting dragged into the older zones. I still can't believe I got a quest at 59 that sent me back to the churning mists. Also I ran out of quests 3 or so times and had to grind some low level dungeons, which was okay because...

Dungeon design is fantastic. The first one is a bit plain but every one after that just keeps getting better and better. The trials are also incredibly excellent. Other than my 90 minute queue times the first couple of days I have nothing but praise for their dungeons, although I haven't done any of the expert ones yet.

Lastly since nobody has talked about it, I leveled as a ninja. On the whole, I give the HW changes to the class a big ol' meh. Sticking the positional requirement on aeolian instead of dancing edge hurts while soloing but doesn't matter in groups so it's nothing more than an annoyance. The threat skills are neat but also really dull and I don't feel like they provide particularly valuable utility. Even the most mediocre tanks I ended up with had comfortable threat leads. I can mostly use them to cover for bad play in dungeons (like a tank leaving a ranged npc out of the AE pile) or trick monsters into attacking my chocobo. I really wish smoke screen was something else though. Dream within a Dream and Duality are both solid skills that just don't really spice anything up. Another off GCD damage skill is welcome, especially with the damage it does, but it's not really going to change anything. Same with Duality. Just more stuff to cram into the 10 second window after trick attack. Armor Crush is the only thing remotely close to a game changer and I am a huge fan of it but it already fucks me up when I get sync'd down to a level where I don't have it. It's still really nice though and definitely a fair trade-off for the sheer damage of Aeolian. If nothing else I am more consistently going into fights with Ninjutsu up so I can get better usage out of Kassatsu. My only wish would be to swap the animation of this with dream within a dream because that animation kicks rear end and it is a shame that it gets cut short a lot due to being off-gcd. My LB3 is cool as hell, no complaints.

My parses seem to indicate that my damage is ok, which I have found surprising. It felt like complete dogshit in the opening days. At any rate, compared to the cool things war, drg, and mnk got I am feeling pretty jealous. I should probably just be happy I didn't get the "cool things" brd got though.

TL;DR: MSQ rules, other quests drool, dungeons are the best they ever have been and nin is ok but I might switch over to drg.

Edit: Almost forgot; the music is so good holy poo poo. I really want to know who did most of the work on the music in the great library.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 24, 2015

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Tarranon posted:

when I first started I was under the impression that when SE says whether servers are open updates at X time, servers only change whether they're open/closed at those times, but that's not true. Tell the guy to make his character, save the template, and for the next couple days try to get in every five or ten minutes while getting ready for work in the morning.

Unless you mean this person wants to transfer in which case I don't know if that works the same

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Failboattootoot posted:

At any rate, compared to the cool things war, drg, and mnk got I am feeling pretty jealous. I should probably just be happy I didn't get the "cool things" brd got though.

TL;DR: MSQ rules, other quests drool, dungeons are the best they ever have been and nin is ok but I might switch over to drg.

I'm actually considering leveling Ninja all the way up from 30 as my DPS class, because it seems solid. I think the enmity skills will see a lot of play once raids comes out; Smokescreen seems like a good idea to cast on a healer when the boss jumps out of the arena for an extended period of time, but healing aggro will still accrue like can happen on t9. Shadewalker seems useful during add phases or precast for a tank swap.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
So, I hit 60 SCH. I'll be honest here, before Heavensward launched, I was worried, since the new abilities were massively underwhelming on paper. Thankfully, that was misplaced.

Indomitability is amazing, and helps shore up the one glaring hole in SCH's toolset. Broil lets me hit things harder, and I ain't gonna complain about that. I haven't gotten much use out of Deployment Tactics, but that's more because there aren't really many fights that require it yet.

Emergency Tactics I was originally down on, but I've warmed up to it, since it's nice on fights with a lot of AoE, like the final boss of the level 57 dungeon. Dissipation... well, I think it needs some changes. Either a potency buff, or not forcing me to blow a Swiftcast and 20% of my MP every time it ends.

Also, final boss was absolutely amazing, easily one of my favourite fights in the game. The dev team have really improved in leaps and bounds, and it's easy to see.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

Can someone explain the new gathering stuff to me in terms a child could understand? Is it actually possible to make decent money now?

I was wondering this as well, I've got a 50 MIN and I desperately need dosh

(level 6 BOT and level 1 FSH though :saddowns:)

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Send help

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The Ninja aggro abilities seem heavily underrated. They can be used to make add management a lot easier or they can be used to increase tank dps. Just doing some napkin math, instead of:

Halone - Goring - Royal Authority - Royal Authority

You can do:

Goring - Royal Authority - Royal Authority - Goring

At the pull within your Fight or Flight, assuming you start with Shield Lob + Circle of Scorn + Spirits Within. That's a free 322 (assuming Shield Oath and Fight or Flight stack multiplicatively) potency just for pressing one or two buttons.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
If you bought the physical PS4 version of Heavensward and had trouble redeeming it in time for launch, you are entitled to one free fantasia.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Doublestep posted:

Yeah I know the opener im just trying to figure out if I should be holding IR until B4B is back up later in the fight

use them on CD, no reason not to

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Someone here in a hunt linkshell with invite abilities or can point me towards a name for invites? Would love to get myself and a couple people from my static in. I miss guildworks and the effortless hunt farming.

Alternatively is using TS a thing / what is the info for it?

KoB
May 1, 2009
Hit 60 last night on my very last sidequest, got my first Law. Ready to play the real game now :getin:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

My limited gathering experience post-50 is going out to Western Highlands on FSH with both of the normal leves and 10-allowance leves, cloudfishing at the end of the river to 51, then fishing through two full stacks of the level 51 bait. By the time I got back to the levemete and turned in two of the leves (I never caught the other fish needed, because apparently they're in the Forelands), I had burned out all of my bonus XP and was halfway to 54. Even without bonus XP, it seems easy enough to level just by gathering things. The equipment reward from the level 53 FSH quest didn't beat out my melded Forager's, though.

Also the new FSH actions at 51 seems neat. I swapped in all of my BTN/MIN jewelry, and using Patience + Powerful Hookset I was able to catch two of three HQ fish needed. With my current GP I can fit in four PH before I run out, but I can also see people using it then popping a cordial to spam it.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I have a stack of 90 cordials, I can't pop them fast enough. Ephemeral nodes are best for leveling since you should be able to get over 200k+ exp off of each by making collectables even at 51, but there's the opportunity cost of actually harvesting the stuff.

For both gathers and crafters the first real big upgrade is 53 offhands, 52 mainhands are about the same as supra I think, worse than lucis. I'm pretty sure melded 53 gear is better than forager/artisan, but I do think you'll have to meld it, I haven't crafted them yet to see what the HQ values are and I'm not sure what the stat caps are either.

Algid fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 24, 2015

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Algid posted:

I have a stack of 90 cordials, I can't pop them fast enough. Ephemeral nodes are best for leveling since you should be able to get over 200k+ exp off of each by making collectables even at 51, but there's the opportunity cost of actually harvesting the stuff.

For both gathers and crafters the first real big upgrade is 53 offhands, 52 mainhands are about the same as supraI think, worse than lucis. I'm pretty sure melded 53 gear is better than forager/artisan, but I do think you'll have to meld it, I haven't crafted them yet to see what the HQ values are and I'm not sure what the stat caps are either.

I haven't tried gathering as a collectable yet. Is there an XP bonus for doing it?

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Moldy Taxes posted:

I haven't tried gathering as a collectable yet. Is there an XP bonus for doing it?

You get a bonus from turning them in if they are of sufficient quality. It's also how you will get Scrips to buy the gathering and crafting gear and master books.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Majumbo posted:

You get a bonus from turning them in if they are of sufficient quality. It's also how you will get Scrips to buy the gathering and crafting gear and master books.

Ah, I was thinking making/gathering collectables was completely useless until you could get scrips for them, but this sounds ace.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah I gotta say a lot of the sidequests were frustrating and/or boring as poo poo, and there were so many of them and they each contributed so little to my XP bar. Fortunately that's all over with, but it's definitely not HW's strong suit.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Gathering is worth it since it's actually better than leves, a gathering leve at 51 is something like 120k, one ephemeral node should be over 200k. For crafting its not really worth it since one turn in might be around 1/3 of a leve.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah I gotta say a lot of the sidequests were frustrating and/or boring as poo poo, and there were so many of them and they each contributed so little to my XP bar. Fortunately that's all over with, but it's definitely not HW's strong suit.

Side quests are kinda weird. I'm personally trying to do them when they make sense. If I can fairly quickly go out and finish up 4-5 of them then it's worth my time, otherwise dungeons are more entertaining and you can get some good drops.

I'm only 54 though, should hit 55 tonight.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The sidequests are fine until you get stuck in moogle hell for hours on end in the churning mists. I did like 30 of them last night and I think I'm going to end up having to do dungeons to get my level anyway.

Oh well, the 52 and 54 dungeons are fun anyway, and they have so much loot now. I'm glad that non boss coffers are worth picking up now.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I really could not disagree more. The ones without pictures were pretty bog-standard yeah, but the ones with pictures (which were ones that kicked off an entire mini story arc) had pretty entertaining characters in them. Mogleo will never not be my hero.

Also, since I've been doing sidequests, I've not run into this leveling wall a lot of people are complaining about.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

If you want a laugh whenever it's prime time you can park yourself near this pack of mobs and watch new players zone in for the first time, wander around looking at everything, aggro all of them and get instantly murdered.

It's the best glitch and I hope they never fix it.

Kaebora
Jul 12, 2006

Be careful of forgetfulness. Your lucky color is...blue?
I've hit small walls, but the Roulettes really help - I think all together they're worth at least a 1/3 of a level if not more?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Meiteron posted:

If you want a laugh whenever it's prime time you can park yourself near this pack of mobs and watch new players zone in for the first time, wander around looking at everything, aggro all of them and get instantly murdered.

It's the best glitch and I hope they never fix it.

Skybear has also returned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
lldr is like a level for a really long period of time ime

• Locked thread