Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

CPL593H posted:

Make sure your tracking force is set properly because that can cause the stylus to jump right out of the grooves. If that's not the issue it's entirely possible that the record is just a bad pressing.

do this. when i got my first turntable i had it set really light and everything played perfectly except a sigur ros record and putting the weight up to its proper setting fixed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
http://amzn.com/B00OPEYLPC

It doesn't have any adjustment for tracking force, it's as cheap as turntables get. It's just a beginner model to see if I even like the format.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Hatter106 posted:

It doesn't have any adjustment for tracking force, it's as cheap as turntables get. It's just a beginner model to see if I even like the format.

You probably should get a better turntable. It looks like the platter is less than 12 inches, which means your 12 inch records aren't really getting full support. I tried out a turntable with that setup, and on the albums I tried, the tracks on the outer edge sounded like they were warping.

Now, I don't know what other records you're listening to, but given the music Daft Punk makes, I wouldn't be surprised if RAM is cut a little hotter than some of the other records you're listening to, and that can make tracking it a bit harder.

You're getting what you're paying for here, and you're getting cheap poo poo. Until you try a better turntable, I can't say it's the pressing. The thing is, you can get a pretty decent turntable for not a lot of money.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Hatter106 posted:

Your problems are almost 100 percent guaranteed to be that turntable. Has it had any better results with other records? Anything cheaper than the AT-LP 60 (normally $75-100), or anything cheap enough to have its own speakers, is going to wreck records after a few spins, and even then, the LP 60 is a starter/testing the format model. Crosleys, Jensens and everything along that price range are really just roadblocks that'll prevent people from getting into the hobby, they're so cheap because they cut a bunch of corners during production to keep costs down and sell more over time. If you're serious about giving vinyl a shot, you need to commit to something at least as expensive/quality as the LP 60, and even then your copy of Discovery might not be Aerodynamic (sorry) enough to play well due to the damage your first player may have already done.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Wasn't there some old trick where you put a dime on the head to increase the weight or am I making things up?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
SL 1200 headshells have an extra weight that you can screw on to increase tracking force, but yeah a dime or penny or whatever.

I have also had some new records that were dirty as hell but that manifests more as crackles and less as skipping.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Anyone else pick up a copy of the new Stone Roses s/t reissue? Supposedly it was remastered from the original tapes (by whom I'm not sure) and was put out by light in the attic. To my ears, it sounds fantastic, and the packaging is pretty great too.

fac53
Oct 22, 2002
At last! A dead star!

Barry posted:

Anyone else pick up a copy of the new Stone Roses s/t reissue? Supposedly it was remastered from the original tapes (by whom I'm not sure) and was put out by light in the attic. To my ears, it sounds fantastic, and the packaging is pretty great too.

Haven't gotten it yet, but was planning on it. I have some unofficial 2xLP bootleg that sounds okay, but I'm sure this new one is way better.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I've decided I want to collect records and listen to them on a sweet, sweet hifi system. I spent the afternoon putting together a discogs wishlist based on my certainty that I would win the Euromilions. Top of the price list was Trip Thru Hell by C.A. Quintet (only €1,990 for an original VG+/VG copy. A sealed copy was sold by a band member on EBay for $5656.) Bottom was Switched on Bach by Wendy Carlos for about €0.99.

I won €8 in the Euromillions which will get me a copy of Rory Gallager's 1974 Irish Tour LP, Steppenwolf's Monster, Leonard Cohen's first album (which I think my mother has somewhere) or Rainbow Rising.

I think I'll put that €8 in a jar to save up for the hifi system I need first.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Mrenda posted:

I've decided I want to collect records and listen to them on a sweet, sweet hifi system. I spent the afternoon putting together a discogs wishlist based on my certainty that I would win the Euromilions. Top of the price list was Trip Thru Hell by C.A. Quintet (only €1,990 for an original VG+/VG copy. A sealed copy was sold by a band member on EBay for $5656.) Bottom was Switched on Bach by Wendy Carlos for about €0.99.

I won €8 in the Euromillions which will get me a copy of Rory Gallager's 1974 Irish Tour LP, Steppenwolf's Monster, Leonard Cohen's first album (which I think my mother has somewhere) or Rainbow Rising.

I think I'll put that €8 in a jar to save up for the hifi system I need first.

Or you could get 8 copies of Switched On Bach.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mrenda posted:

Top of the price list was Trip Thru Hell by C.A. Quintet

That's an ok record iirc but not amazing or anything.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Mrenda posted:

Words about records

Send the money to me and I will hand curate you some collections of records. Ignore the "good will: $0.50" stickers, those are there to fit the aesthetic I'm going for with my service.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

A human heart posted:

That's an ok record iirc but not amazing or anything.

It's not even worth €50 if you're going by just the music.

And records will be really expensive for me, if the way Irish people sell the rest of their old stuff is anything to go by. I've been trawling through places for cameras and the vintage tax is well and truly alive. Stuff that goes for €25 online I've seen regularly for sale for €50.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mrenda posted:

It's not even worth €50 if you're going by just the music.

And records will be really expensive for me, if the way Irish people sell the rest of their old stuff is anything to go by. I've been trawling through places for cameras and the vintage tax is well and truly alive. Stuff that goes for €25 online I've seen regularly for sale for €50.

Well to be fair, if they live in Dublin they probably need that €50 to pay for a round of 3 drinks at the bar ;)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm still new to Vinyl and got very frustrated last night trying to play Jack White's Lazaretto (from the Amazon B1G1!) and kept thinking I got a bad press or my ancient turntable was finally calling it quits. Turns out that side A you start the needle in the middle and it moves to the outside versus conventional usage.

I felt like a complete dummy.

Great album though.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

TraderStav posted:

I'm still new to Vinyl and got very frustrated last night trying to play Jack White's Lazaretto (from the Amazon B1G1!) and kept thinking I got a bad press or my ancient turntable was finally calling it quits. Turns out that side A you start the needle in the middle and it moves to the outside versus conventional usage.

I felt like a complete dummy.

Great album though.

Looks like there's a bunch of gimmicks on that one:

amazon posted:

Over the past five years, Jack White & Third Man Records have brought to life many ideas that were new to the century-old vinyl format. Continuing that grand tradition, the Lazaretto ULTRA LP contains many incredible bold innovations:

-180 gram vinyl.
-2 vinyl-only hidden tracks hidden beneath the center labels.
-1 hidden track plays at 78 RPM and 1 plays at 45 RPM, making this a 3-speed record.
-Side A plays from the inside to the outside of the disc.
-Dual-groove technology: plays an electric or acoustic intro for "Just One Drink" depending on where needle is dropped. The grooves meet for the body of the song.
-Matte finish on Side B, giving the appearance of an un-played 78 RPM record.
-Both sides end with locked grooves.
-Vinyl pressed in seldom-used flat-edged format.
-Dead wax area on Side A contains a hand-etched hologram by Tristan Duke of Infinity Light Science, the first of its kind on a vinyl record.
-Absolutely zero compression used during recording, mixing and mastering.
-Different running order from the CD/digital version.
-Utilizes some mixes different from those used on CD/digital versions.
-LP includes MP3 download insert.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah its the most 'hipster', gimmick laden release of all time. Fun but the idea of actually sitting down to listen to it? No thanks (not that I would with a Jack White album anyway, but hey).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
"Absolutely zero compression used during recording, mixing and mastering."

Are they talking about digital or analog compression? I thought analog compression was basically required to mix electronic instruments correctly.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
they didn't let jack white squeeze the sounds, he's always in there squeezing sounds in his fists and this time they said no you can't do that

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

now that's one ULTRA LP

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Who the hell is going to tear up their center labels to get at a lovely B-side that can't even be played by most modern tables?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Who the hell is going to tear up their center labels to get at a lovely B-side that can't even be played by most modern tables?

You gotta buy two copies.

and another turntable.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah its the most 'hipster', gimmick laden release of all time. Fun but the idea of actually sitting down to listen to it? No thanks (not that I would with a Jack White album anyway, but hey).

Those drat hipsters, putting gimmicks on records.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You know it'd have a fancy moustache going across it if they could've worked out how.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
So 2.5 years later (invoice says Jan 11, 2013), I am Shark finally mailed out those Phantom Menace LPs :vince:

I completely forgot about it and just assumed they took the money and ran about 2 years ago

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
My girlfriend got me my first record player for our anniversary. It's a really cool wood panel ion brand one. So happy to finally be able to my gigantic previously unplayable collection, haha.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Nice red text :eyepop:

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
1964 New York World's Fair theme. My buddy has a small side business selling records on ebay. He has a whole bunch of these he's been throwing in with some of his auctions.

You could have mailed it to your fat relatives all over the country!

I don't think I will actually play it. It's pretty bowed out after all these years, but it is in pretty good shape overall. I was mostly attracted to it due to its novelty and the cover. I traded two beers for it, so I think that's fair.

Thou - Heathen. Finally got my hands on a copy of this monster.

The gate swings.

Putting labels on things.

Ecstatic Vision - Sonic Praise. Saw these dudes open for Yob/Enslaved in NYC. Kind of an odd fit to have a heavy psych band open for those two, but they ruled. The art on this album is so good.

The vinyl coloring is appropriately awesome.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
The UK Vertigo thing is a nice touch.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
I got this a while back but haven't really peeked in this thread in a long time.

It's beat to poo poo, definitely owned by and played a million times by a child, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Signed by Mr. Dressup too! :canada:

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Any thoughts on this loving thing:

Apparently they've got a Kickstarter and they're at $776,000!!! of their initial $50,00 offering.

I suppose in a way it looks cool, but is it really better than a traditional turntable? Maybe I don't get it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Xarthor posted:

Any thoughts on this loving thing:

Apparently they've got a Kickstarter and they're at $776,000!!! of their initial $50,00 offering.

I suppose in a way it looks cool, but is it really better than a traditional turntable? Maybe I don't get it.

Where are they marketing it as being better than anything?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
"Built in speakers".

As if it wasn't obvious enough that this is a lovely gimmick turntable.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

"Built in speakers".

As if it wasn't obvious enough that this is a lovely gimmick turntable.

The built in speakers are probably no worse than most people's crap stereos. I bet it sounds fine for what it is. I'd put it in my living room if someone gave me one.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Just hang a mirror over your turntable and save $400.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Seems like a great way to get dust on your records.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Thom and the Heads posted:

Seems like a great way to get dust on your records.

Does it? Like, yes, if you leave the record there once it's done playing, but otherwise no?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Just throw a paper bag over the record when not in use

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
looks cool enough if you just want a turntable that looks alright in your apartment i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Ras Het posted:

Does it? Like, yes, if you leave the record there once it's done playing, but otherwise no?

Depends on your climate, here it's dry and dusty all the time.