Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

"I can't help but notice you're going through Stimpaks like you did with our savings..."

"You know what? I wish you'd never paid for that vault! Then we'd both be dead and I wouldn't have to listen to you anymore!"

I play games to get away from my wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
Holding out on the day one divorce DLC

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You know, there's a difference in pre and post war hair styles that's more apparent in women than men. Gonna be kinda weird to play the wife and have to pick a Furiosa style buzz cut in my 1950ish bathroom mirror ; post war bandit raids require different styling techniques than the weekly bridge game. I could always have long hair and cut it short in console, but it'd be cool if it was an option in game. If Bethesda follows the trend of previous games there will be a way to cut your hair in-game but it may be hidden/hard to find/gated to later content.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
I hold zero hope with anything involving hair in Fallout games.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't give a gently caress, I'm giving my Mom of the Year a mohawk or Hitler undercut right out of the gate.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Let me tell you a story: When I was a child, I grabbed all of the spices and seasonings out of the kitchen, went into the backyard, dug a hole in the sand, filled it with dirty water, and began adding random amounts of condiments into this brew while chanting, "Monster brew! Monster brew! Monster brew!" over and over again. I didn't really know where the brew was headed, but that was okay because, looking back, I didn't even really know what the "Monster Brew" was. I was just a child pouring marjoram and white pepper into a hole in the ground; each addition pushed the brew towards some unseen, unknowable goal.

Lead designer, Emil Pagliarulo: "...having a voiced protagonist has actually [made the story] way more tense than I ever expected."

PC Gamer : "Fallout 4 is so big, its lead producer [Jeff Gardiner] hasn't seen everything it has to offer."

Todd Howard: "I have no idea what I'm doing most of the time. It's pure chaos."

Should we be worried that Bethesda doesn't seem to know what it's doing with Fallout 4? Or what Fallout 4 even is? Will Fallout 4 be another "Monster Brew"?

When I get killed by a shopping cart filled with cereal boxes, or I invent a gun which blows peoples body's straight into the sky when I shoot them, never to be seen again, or my settlement, upon start-up, begins vibrating and kills all of my followers, in between laughing and laughing, I am now going to shout "Hell yeah! Mon-ster brew! Mon-ster brew! Mon-ster brew! It is also going to be my default reply to all the boring, snarky "Have fun playing a buggy mess!" one-liners.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm gonna make it a thing, just watch. Everyone who posts funny stories about enjoying the glitchy craziness of Fallout 4 is going to be called "the Monster Brew Crew." You can join up now if you want to get in early. I've built us a settlement, and all of your friends are here: Dadjoke Fallout, Norm, Nagging Jane Fallout, they're all chilling at the bar, ordering the house's special cocktail. I'm sure you can guess what it's called.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Rutibex posted:

Modern gender dynamics apply to post industrial societies, Rome was misogynistic for very practical reasons. If your army has women in it than lots of women are going to die in battle, potentially. One man can impregnate multiple women, but the opposite is not true. This means that losing women in battle makes your population decline within a generation, and over time more misogynistic cultures will overtake you because they only lose men in battle.

I love this thread.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I sincerely believe that Fallout 4 is going to be like if you actually kneeled down and drank the Monster Brew, only to discover it was the most delicious thing you ever drank. You'll drink and drink that brew until you're full and the hole is totally dry.

Then shortly after you'll feel empty and ashamed at what you've done, you'll look down at the empty dirt hole in the ground trying to remember why you drank all that Monster Brew. Then you get sick for three days straight, and you swear you'll never drink another Monster Brew again. Until 8 years later...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

I sincerely believe that Fallout 4 is going to be like if you actually kneeled down and drank the Monster Brew, only to discover it was the most delicious thing you ever drank. You'll drink and drink that brew until you're full and the hole is totally dry.

Then shortly after you'll feel empty and ashamed at what you've done, you'll look down at the empty dirt hole in the ground trying to remember why you drank all that Monster Brew. Then you get sick for three days straight, and you swear you'll never drink another Monster Brew again. Until 8 years later...

More like three years later, when you install some DLC and throw a few mods in, make a new character build, and swear that this time, you're going to use less cinnamon and your stomach will take it. Then you do it again a year later, even though there isn't any new content, because it's been awhile and nothing compares to that giddy feeling, of drinking the monster brew outside the Green Monster.

Monstah brew! Mon-stah brew! Mon...stah... brew!!!

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

I'm gonna make it a thing, just watch. Everyone who posts funny stories about enjoying the glitchy craziness of Fallout 4 is going to be called "the Monster Brew Crew." You can join up now if you want to get in early. I've built us a settlement, and all of your friends are here: Dadjoke Fallout, Norm, Nagging Jane Fallout, they're all chilling at the bar, ordering the house's special cocktail. I'm sure you can guess what it's called.

Do you already have a Ministry of Serious Business? If not I'd like to create one.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Suave Fedora posted:

Do you already have a Ministry of Serious Business? If not I'd like to create one.

Sure, pull up a bar stool (and watch as it starts vibrating and then bounces around the room and clocks half of us unconscious).

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

closeted republican posted:

I still want a Fallout game where the MC is a fat Tumblr fangirl artist. She will start to wheeze after walking a few feet,and even a Mole Rat can beat you in combat because of how poor you are physically. Your ultimate goal is to poorly mimic Furiosa and her motivations from the latest Mad Max film, which in reality devolves into you making a lovely cosplay of Furiosa and sitting on your rear end in a shack, writing BoS slash fanfiction about a Paladin loving a former sex slave while surrounded by a very large pile of Nuka Cola and Fancy Lad's Snacks that you have scavenged.

You can also annoy the PC of another Fallout game by tweeting them via Pipboy. if you annoy them too much, they'll enter your shack, gib you in one shot while tripping balls on every drug in the game, then steal everything you have and teabag your corpse.

this is the worst post i have ever read

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Fallout 4 is gonna be loving awesome and I can't wait

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Yeah Ceasar is brutal, but only because he is dealing with a brutal world. How do you deal with raiders that enslave your citizens and maybe eat them?

The Legion are literally raiders that enslave citizens except instead of eating them they rape them. Then genocide you if you say "no" to the offer to join and purge your culture if you say "yes".

The game is also explicit about the fact that when Caesar dies the Legion breaks up, and Caesar is old and also has a brain tumor.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 24, 2015

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

The Legion are literally raiders that enslave citizens except instead of eating them they rape them. Then genocide you if you say "no" to the offer to join and purge your culture if you say "yes".

The game is also explicit about the fact that when Caesar dies the Legion breaks up, and Caesar is old and also has a brain tumor.

There seems no end to the people that crawl out of the woodwork to defend all the worst bits of the Legion with the same tired and thin reasonings that have been repeated and refuted a million times

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Caesar may think he's upholding some ancient Roman ideal, but he's actually just a way shittier version of Genghis Khan.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
There's no evil like completely pointless and futile evil ala Ceasar's Legion.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The NCR and House side of things are more nuanced and have both negatives and positives, but trying to say that New Vegas is free from simpler morality is silly. It's just that instead of stark good and evil you have a few different options that aren't so good and one that is pitch black tar evil.

I think Grey on Grey storytelling is a bit boring personally though, even if it is more reflective of how uncertain the world is.

Being made to choose the lesser evil when all options are undesirable in many respects, I mean.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 24, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I hate "morally grey" as a buzzword. It doesn't even accurately describe New Vegas, which is about humans.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

2house2fly posted:

I hate "morally grey" as a buzzword. It doesn't even accurately describe New Vegas, which is about humans.

You still have to make a choice between a set selection of options that all carry aspects that are pretty undesirable. Thats not really a buzzword.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Just read a drat book!!!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

2house2fly posted:

You sarcastically ask why it couldn't be that as if it's obvious why it couldn't, but literally, why couldn't it?

Because Bioshock infinite wasn't very good.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Every time I hear people talking about Fallout and "morally gray choices," I can only think of The Pitt DLC for Fallout 3 which touted that all the karma choices were morally neutral but still had a very distinct "good" or "evil" choice for every decision. Like having to pick between kidnapping a baby and leaving it with an adoptive mother to cure a life-threatening pandemic disease and free the slaves or not kidnap a baby and let everyone slowly rot to death and be slaves.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Theta Zero posted:

Every time I hear people talking about Fallout and "morally gray choices," I can only think of The Pitt DLC for Fallout 3 which touted that all the karma choices were morally neutral but still had a very distinct "good" or "evil" choice for every decision. Like having to pick between kidnapping a baby and leaving it with an adoptive mother to cure a life-threatening pandemic disease and free the slaves or not kidnap a baby and let everyone slowly rot to death and be slaves.

The Pitt is even weirder because the option to not kidnap the baby and leave everybody as slaves ends with everybody not being a slav anymore at some point in the future, while the option to kidnap the baby and free the slaves ends with only really solving a dudes petty call for revenge and the possible collapse of the entire city.

A better use of it is the main point lookout quest where you are just being called in to arbiter the fued of two selfish jerkwads.

I guess why I think ts boring then is really a combination of the limited scope of videogame choice combined with the player being asked to make widespread changes in a society by playing the hero/villain. Since the scenarios are prewritten and always have the same ending no matter which option is chosen it feels very contrived, when in reality tumultuous events can have unintended benefits and consequences unseen by their contemporary obeservers. You can only make one thing happen in the path the writers have made, in 3s case it means you can't side with the enclave in a meaningful fashion, in new Vegas it doesn't seem like you could crusade within the ncr to work on its fundamental faults.

It's not really a strong negative, just a consequence of games still being limited authorial works, they'll never be truely open worlds because they're always limited to the content that's been authored for them.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 24, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't really care what the relative morality is of the choices I make in video games, as long as the results are fun. Being rear end in a top hat Mega Man in Legends 2 and turning into Dark Mega Man, then pumping money into the church to heal yourself, or finding that prisoner who taunts you at the beginning of the game in Oblivion and slitting his throat, those are fun. Being good guy Link who doesn't sleep for three days over and over again so he can make everyone in Termina happy is also a blast.

There's some room for exploring moral ambiguity in video games, but the mileage is going to vary a lot. If it's too simple, it has that eye-rolling "Maybe in this complicated world, both sides of the debate.... are the same?!" vibe going for it, but if it's too complicated, it feels like people have constructed convoluted reasons to being within the chapters of some philosophy major's Morality and Ethics course. Sometimes, you just want to be the John or Jane Fallout who can save (or murder) everyone.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

RBA Starblade posted:

If I'm remembering right, Caesar only sees the legion as a means to an end, and he doesn't want it to last. When he started he only had a bunch of unreformable killers to work with, so he used them to do the only thing they would do, kill. The legion pacifies the land by killing the killers who wouldn't submit, and recruiting the killers who do, and it leaves behind all the peaceful and productive people. They get culturally homogenized to give them a sense of national pride and make them less rebellious. It's like a wildfire, burning up the dead brush and leaving behind fertile soil; but like a wildfire it's also always hungry and difficult to direct, so the legion has to continue marching west to keep it burning. Caesar's plan is brutal and inhumane but it would pacify the wasteland and create a large and strong nation state alot faster than the NCR would. Eventually after a few generations of oppression the New Rome would have recovered enough both economically and culturally that a new middle class of educated citizens would start pushing for democratic reforms and eventually revolution. And now you have a new USA that can condemn the actions of it's ancestors while still benefiting economically from their legacy.

So the legion is evil, and worse than the NCR, but it's not like Caesar is just balls to the wall wackadoo. The NCR is trying to build the new USA, Caesar is trying to conquer an empire that will birth the new USA.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Books are like RPGs with wayyyy better stories/writing.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sometimes I just like being able to choose between objectively being a good guy and objectively being the biggest piece of poo poo I can.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hat Thoughts posted:

Yes, everyone has read and enjoyed novels, a topic only tangentially related to how stories in video games affect or don't affect how enjoyable they are.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Hat Thoughts posted:

Yeah, like Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Sometimes I just like being able to choose between objectively being a good guy and objectively being the biggest piece of poo poo I can.

Yah, I prefer it when a game lets you go to either extreme instead of settling sonehwere more in the subjective middle.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"Have you insipid fools thought about putting away the controller and basking in the warm light of Anne Enright's expertise with narrative distance? Story isn't worth discussing unless it has F. Scott Fitzgerald's triumph of technique, and nobody has ever offered a critique of storytelling in popular media that is not the pure written word."

-Some guy posting in the video game forum

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Yeah, like Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey!
Yea, those are books, nice

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Video games just aren't written very well, and there are a lot of really well written books

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hat Thoughts posted:

Video games just aren't written very well, and there are a lot of really well written books

Cool. You should post "read a book!" over and over again in the TV discussion threads too, and maybe even the film ones.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Hat Thoughts posted:

It's not like you can only consume and discuss one or the other, it's a silly statement to make.

Personally writing and story are the aspects of game I care about the least, even in role playing games. I'm way more interested in the core gameplay and ancillary aspects like the free exploration of worlds and the environment, things books don't handle very well.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Well TV and film use the things unique to the medium in order to achieve things books aren't capable of.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Do strategy guides count as books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im glad of this game and i have the pipboy edition

• Locked thread