Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
All I wanna do is trick people into eating szechuan peppercorns. Is that so hard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

franco posted:

I may as well combine the condescension/contempt train with Caesar-chat - screenshotted from my recipe database. I may have written the notes after a couple of the pertinent item. Whatever's in that mason jar is no Caesar - it doesn't even have celery salt! :canada:. Bloody Marys can't hold a candle to the majesty. Clamato sounded nasty in a drink to me too before I was inducted. Join us. JOIN US :unsmigghh:

What program is this, I want it

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

All I wanna do is trick people into eating szechuan peppercorns. Is that so hard?

I tricked myself into doing this the first time I cooked with them, because I did no research on them before hand, and the recipe I found didn't have any warnings. Biting into one of those fuckers was a great way to ruin a bowl of pretty good soup.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
But they're great on popcorn if you put them in the oil with the corn kernels.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I don't know why I've never thought of that and now all I want to do is go home and make a bunch of popcorn.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Anyone know of a reputable place to order the odd spice you can't find locally? For example I only am able to find curry leaves 1/4 times I do the rounds on the ethnic grocers I frequent and I've only seen Aleppo chili once.

Hecuba
Jul 20, 2005

What we do is invent our images. And we build them.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Why have I never thought of this?? A+, thanks. Trying tomorrow for Hannibal night.

Hey fellow office drones, I have cobbled together a reasonably wholesome lunchhack if you have access to a work fridge: frozen broccoli or leafy greens in the freezer, eggs and tortillas in the fridge. Nuke the veg for a minute, stir, crack an egg over the top, cover bowl with a tortilla, microwave for another minute, dump contents of bowl on top of now-nicely-warmed tortilla, roll, eat. Tasty, cheap, reasonably healthy, keeps forever, saves your rear end from sad Subway lunch when you forget to bring leftovers. I've been topping it with homemade pico and a dollop of greek yogurt. Tahini mixed with lemon juice is good too, or tzatziki, whatevs.

Unrelated: any Mexican-inclined cooking folks got a recommended use for nopales?

Edit, re Bloody Mary/Caesarchat: it's admittedly terribly 50's, but a Bloody Bull is the champion's choice when it comes to daydrinkin'.

Hecuba fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 24, 2015

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Swagger Dagger posted:

What program is this, I want it

Paprika - it's the tits :)

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Hecuba posted:

Unrelated: any Mexican-inclined cooking folks got a recommended use for nopales?

Yes, actually. So, nopales suck to cook with, because they're slimy a poo poo. What I like to do is grill the poo poo out of them, so they have a nice char flavor. Then julienne them, add in white onion, roma tomato, jalapeno, garlic, salt, cilantro. Now take this mix, and cook it in a really hot pan. Sear the poo poo out of that nopale. Take the mix, throw it on a tortilla, and enjoy your cactus tacos. If you did this right, they shouldn't be slimy.

You can also make a nopale salad, but that sliminess, I can never make it appeal to the average person.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Sextro posted:

Anyone know of a reputable place to order the odd spice you can't find locally? For example I only am able to find curry leaves 1/4 times I do the rounds on the ethnic grocers I frequent and I've only seen Aleppo chili once.

Penzy's is pretty good quality. Not cheap, but they have Aleppo and a good selection otherwise
https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/aleppo-pepper/c-24/p-878/pd-s

As for curry leaves, obviously you're better off finding a local grocer, but if you found them at all, maybe get friendly with that store. Ask the people there how often they get them in or how long it would take to get them if you wanted some. It may not be something that they get regularly, but if you show interest they might get it for you.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Yes, actually. So, nopales suck to cook with, because they're slimy a poo poo. What I like to do is grill the poo poo out of them, so they have a nice char flavor. Then julienne them, add in white onion, roma tomato, jalapeno, garlic, salt, cilantro. Now take this mix, and cook it in a really hot pan. Sear the poo poo out of that nopale. Take the mix, throw it on a tortilla, and enjoy your cactus tacos. If you did this right, they shouldn't be slimy.

You can also make a nopale salad, but that sliminess, I can never make it appeal to the average person.

You kind of have to like the texture, so you can enjoy the fresh, kind of tart flavor they have. I've always liked the texture, so it's never been a big deal.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You kind of have to like the texture, so you can enjoy the fresh, kind of tart flavor they have. I've always liked the texture, so it's never been a big deal.

Yeah, I like it personally, but making it more consumer friendly is the goal.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
re: Whirled Peas

I feel like out in the wild of the forum, we're much nicer. This thread has "ongoing festival of trolling" in the TITLE. Should we change it to "abandon all diets, and despair?" to make it more clear that this is not the place if you're not already saltier than bottarga?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

rj54x posted:

On some real talk re: insularity, I actually like people like mindphlux - he (she? I can never remember) is genuinely interested in food and the process of making good food, and having people with no qualms about calling out the FYAD fucktards that have been creeping into the forum is a good thing. The problem is, the venom and vitriol isn't being reserved for those guys - it's being used against people like the guy a few pages back who didn't say anything wrong other than wanting to cook with less white sugar and flour. Meanwhile, the people that are actively making GBS threads up the forums (like the "latin kick" guy, whoever that was) are allowed to continue unabated, without intervention by mods or even being subject to the same level of poo poo talking that seems to be applied to people who are actually earnest but fall slightly outside of the groupthink. As a result, it seems lately that most of the people left are the hardcore grognards and the FYAD asshats, because all the moderate hobbyists have gotten sick of being poo poo on for using organic grass-fed beef raised in the wrong pasture.

tldr: this forum as a whole would benefit from a healthy dose of Happy Hat style benevolent helpfulness amongst the regulars towards people who are actually here to learn about cooking, and a likewise dose of mindphlux-esque no-nonsenses get the gently caress outtery towards the handful of people who have migrated here as a new and exciting place to threadshit.

to be fair, I trolled the gently caress out of those guys, and I got probated for doing so by the mods of this forum.

I also private messaged the mods of this forum asking them to shut down the GBS fucktard goonrush (ain't fyad brah, check the postcount), and got no response.

if that ain't a bit of serious internet, i don't know what is.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 24, 2015

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
bbbb ijdk anymore

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

mindphlux posted:

to be fair, I trolled the gently caress out of those guys, and I got probated for doing so by the mods of this forum.

I also private messaged the mods of this forum asking them to shut down the GBS fucktard goonrush (ain't fyad brah, check the postcount), and got no response.

I forget sometimes that GBS is just as bad as FYAD anymore.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

rj54x posted:

I forget sometimes that GBS is just as bad as FYAD anymore.

here's a simple reference post you can use in case you can't tell the difference between the two

Q: "Is it GBS or FYAD, I do not know???"
A: "It is GBS."

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Hail Satan

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

rj54x posted:

On some real talk re: insularity, I actually like people like mindphlux - he (she? I can never remember) is genuinely interested in food and the process of making good food, and having people with no qualms about calling out the FYAD fucktards that have been creeping into the forum is a good thing. The problem is, the venom and vitriol isn't being reserved for those guys - it's being used against people like the guy a few pages back who didn't say anything wrong other than wanting to cook with less white sugar and flour. Meanwhile, the people that are actively making GBS threads up the forums (like the "latin kick" guy, whoever that was) are allowed to continue unabated, without intervention by mods or even being subject to the same level of poo poo talking that seems to be applied to people who are actually earnest but fall slightly outside of the groupthink. As a result, it seems lately that most of the people left are the hardcore grognards and the FYAD asshats, because all the moderate hobbyists have gotten sick of being poo poo on for using organic grass-fed beef raised in the wrong pasture.

tldr: this forum as a whole would benefit from a healthy dose of Happy Hat style benevolent helpfulness amongst the regulars towards people who are actually here to learn about cooking, and a likewise dose of mindphlux-esque no-nonsenses get the gently caress outtery towards the handful of people who have migrated here as a new and exciting place to threadshit.

You sound really upset

mindphlux posted:

And also its worth mentioning that you bragging about being a troll, and then getting probated for the posts you said you made, does not make you a troll, it means you take the internet too seriously and are actually part of the problem.

Also its worth mentioning, that while this wasn't the intent of any post we've ever made in this forum, if you react so strongly to get probated multiple times... you're probably the one that got 'trolled'.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Fetus Tree fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 24, 2015

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

mindphlux posted:

yikes have a michelada and calm down

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
trolled, lol you got loving trolled!" its like youre getting trolled just by reading this so many trolls what the hell, whats with all the trolls

whats with airline trolss

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Hey guys, lets talk about cooking!

Ground szechuan pepper didn't seem much different than standard black pepper to me. Did I use it wrong, or is most of its power in its peppercorn state?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
it's sad that theres a lot of, really, what I think pretty much amounts to classism, with regards to stuff like the micheladas. theres no reason for the amount of disdain showed towards those of us that enjoy it. they are, actually, more complex a recipe than buying a $20 dollar bottle of Booben Beer and letting it age in your larder for a year.

they're considered lowbrow and as a result a lot of the michi-posters get treated with derision. pretty stupid i think.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nuru posted:

Ground szechuan pepper didn't seem much different than standard black pepper to me. Did I use it wrong, or is most of its power in its peppercorn state?

Either your mouth is defective or your pepper was. I'd lean toward the latter though. They should have a numbing effect.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Fetus Tree posted:

it's sad that theres a lot of, really, what I think pretty much amounts to classism, with regards to stuff like the micheladas. theres no reason for the amount of disdain showed towards those of us that enjoy it. they are, actually, more complex a recipe than buying a $20 dollar bottle of Booben Beer and letting it age in your larder for a year.

they're considered lowbrow and as a result a lot of the michi-posters get treated with derision. pretty stupid i think.

It's no so much classism as just having developed taste. I'd rather have a good beer rarely than choke down some obnoxious drink mix just to drink tbh.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

filthy ethnics and their no-taste having!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

nuru posted:

Sichuan peppercorn is not peppercorn. It doesn't taste anything like pepper. It tastes tingly and slightly umami woody. I think they're usually used whole though.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

fyodor posted:

filthy tomato-juice drinkers and their no-taste having!

ftfy

rich white faglord
May 13, 2015

by Ralp

BIG BOY EXPO 2K posted:

It's no so much classism as just having developed taste. I'd rather have a good beer rarely than choke down some obnoxious drink mix just to drink tbh.

fyodor posted:

filthy ethnics and their no-taste having!

So this is how it ends, not with a bang but with a michelada

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Sorry you don't like tomatoes. I expected a more adult palate here than say GBS, but I'm learning a lot about our other subforums lately.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Fetus Tree posted:

Sorry you don't like nasty canned tomato juice and possibly even more nasty canned tomato juice with gross canned clam juice added to it. I expected a more adult palate here than say GBS, but I'm learning a lot about our other subforums lately. Namely, that they have fantastic taste and I could learn a lot from them.

ftfy

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

I didn't realize I was talking to a literal child. My bad.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
The only decent brewery near me makes a michelada or whatever it is called and they use their kolsch and it is delicious. They offer it Sunday mornings to go along with the soccer/football* games shown on the tvs. As good as the bourbon barrel stuff? Maybe not but I don't often shoot for the high % stuff that early.

* both footballs.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
lolė

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

BIG BOY EXPO 2K posted:

This is going to sound bad, but here goes: you're a wanker who hates fun

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
This thread is really living up to its title lately

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Dear E/N,
Today I got insight in management consulting. Someone needed an implementation done, and upon closer inspection of their requirements for the task it was completely clear that the level of rear end-covering needed by their organization was directly counter productive for the needed end-state. I then progressed to explain to them how having no testicles would prevent the succesful implementation of a fetus in a woman's womb, and that they should seriously look into acquiring a matched set to ensure the feasibility of their project, and after having done so, start looking for a possible recipient of the juice of said testicular appendage to their organizational monstrosity.

I think I will make an excellent consultant!

Also - my daughter cooked me dinner completely on her own - my plan for world domination through selective breeding is taking shape - I will now implement stage two and expect all of gws to enter 'voluntarily' into my breeding stock.

Your pal

Happy Hat

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Either your mouth is defective or your pepper was. I'd lean toward the latter though. They should have a numbing effect.

I've had a proper numbing dish before. I'm wondering if something went bad with this sealed container of it, since someone got it for me as a gift years ago and I forgot about it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Happy Hat posted:

my daughter cooked me dinner completely on her own

What did she cook?

Did she sous-vizzle?

Was her culinary expertise enough to satisfy the arbitrary criteria of Chef de Cuisinart's qualifications of ability?

So many unanswered questions.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Dear E/N,
Today I got insight in management consulting. Someone needed an implementation done, and upon closer inspection of their requirements for the task it was completely clear that the level of rear end-covering needed by their organization was directly counter productive for the needed end-state. I then progressed to explain to them how having no testicles would prevent the succesful implementation of a fetus in a woman's womb, and that they should seriously look into acquiring a matched set to ensure the feasibility of their project, and after having done so, start looking for a possible recipient of the juice of said testicular appendage to their organizational monstrosity.

I think I will make an excellent consultant!

Also - my daughter cooked me dinner completely on her own - my plan for world domination through selective breeding is taking shape - I will now implement stage two and expect all of gws to enter 'voluntarily' into my breeding stock.

Your pal

Happy Hat

Uh, what exactly do you mean "enter into your breeding stock" when referring to your daughter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

nuru posted:

someone got it for me as a gift years ago and I forgot about it.

I think I found your problem :v: