Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bad day posted:

In the same way that DC's Convergence was bad, this Secret Wars event is turning out to be really good. I picked up a bunch of the crossover books and haven't read a single one I didn't like. Even the retro X-titles are good. I'm excited to see what the "new" marvel continuity will look like - I thought the Ultimate Marvel line was just about perfect for a while.

Anyway in what comic do we find out how Doom fought against the Beyonders destroying Multiple Men and started the whole thing? I read this on Internet but cannot find the issue where it is explained.

New Avengers #33.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bad day posted:

Anyway in what comic do we find out how Doom fought against the Beyonders destroying Multiple Men and started the whole thing? I read this on Internet but cannot find the issue where it is explained.
New Avengers 33?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
E is for Extinction is a massive love letter to Morrison's New X-Men and I love everything about it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Extinction was way better than I was expecting it to be and the first two pages are GREAT

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd appreciate it if they'd stop making all these tie ins worth buying, comics are expensive!

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Senor Candle posted:

Extinction was way better than I was expecting it to be and the first two pages are GREAT

Just came to here to agree! It feels like this really could be what the X-universe might have looked like without the No More Murants thing. I liked the art too. Wasn't trying to be Quietly but still kept that feel to it. Good stuff.

Also X-Men 92 continues to be enjoyably silly.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm way more entertained by Devil Dinosaur, Assistant Editor in Planet Hulk's mail page than I really should be.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

bad day posted:

MOLECULE men.

Although the idea that Doom stole the Jamie Madrox from every universe, tossed them all into a giant multiversal library and then shook it up really hard like a can of soda and threw it at the Beyonders is amazing.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

E for Extinction was so good, agreed that it was basically a love letter to that X-Men era. Not too crazy about the art still since it seems like it was drawn by the bastard child of Quitely and Kordey. I thought Cyclops had gotten fat in his old age but no he was just drawn weirdly lumpy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Good Kordey (yes, he exists!) or Kordey who has two weeks to draw an entire comic and gets poo poo on for the rest of history?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah, I know about the restrictions he was under as fill-in artist, I'm just commenting that it wasn't the good Kordey this artist is emulating. Anyway it's a small enough quibble that it didn't detract that much for how enjoyable the issue was.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guys they made a dog a nova THEY MADE! A DOG! A NOVA!

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

hope and vaseline posted:

E for Extinction was so good, agreed that it was basically a love letter to that X-Men era. Not too crazy about the art still since it seems like it was drawn by the bastard child of Quitely and Kordey. I thought Cyclops had gotten fat in his old age but no he was just drawn weirdly lumpy.

It seemed pretty clear to me that Cyke and Emma were supposed to be looking kind of old and worn and haggard. Which would be in keeping with the theme of the new generation of mutants outgrowing the old.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Guys they made a dog a nova THEY MADE! A DOG! A NOVA!

So? Cats and squirrels have been Lanterns for years.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do y'all think the end game of all the tie ins will be the inhabitants of the various worlds realizing that Doom is running a massive scam and rebelling against him?

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

zoux posted:

Do y'all think the end game of all the tie ins will be the inhabitants of the various worlds realizing that Doom is running a massive scam and rebelling against him?

From here (spoilered image contained in quote):

Crusader posted:

SW #7 cover:

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

krakagar posted:

It seemed pretty clear to me that Cyke and Emma were supposed to be looking kind of old and worn and haggard. Which would be in keeping with the theme of the new generation of mutants outgrowing the old.

Yeah, I figured the artist was going that route, but then Cyke reverted to his muscular self when in bed with Emma so I dunno.

There's some interesting stuff going on in this issue. With our foreknowledge of Morrison's run, we know a couple of things already. Namely that Jean as Phoenix is end-game, specifically for Sublime to achieve whatever final form he has. With Xavier/Nova's early termination, does this mean that Magneto never took Kick to get infected with Sublime? Mags is showing an unhealthy amount of interest in birthing that Phoenix egg. And what the hell happened with Xorn/Magneto if they're going the route of Xorn being a separate person, or maybe there's someone else under that mask this time around.

I really like the way the writer is playing with our preconceptions of the original run for his story.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, I figured the artist was going that route, but then Cyke reverted to his muscular self when in bed with Emma so I dunno.

There's some interesting stuff going on in this issue. With our foreknowledge of Morrison's run, we know a couple of things already. Namely that Jean as Phoenix is end-game, specifically for Sublime to achieve whatever final form he has. With Xavier/Nova's early termination, does this mean that Magneto never took Kick to get infected with Sublime? Mags is showing an unhealthy amount of interest in birthing that Phoenix egg. And what the hell happened with Xorn/Magneto if they're going the route of Xorn being a separate person, or maybe there's someone else under that mask this time around.

I really like the way the writer is playing with our preconceptions of the original run for his story.

Were they all losing their powers in New X-men? I remember the micro Sentinels, but didn't that just make them sick?

Also I've been inspired to read the Korvacs saga, expect my hot takes on how stilted and unnatural comic book writing was in the past imminently.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah, the nano-sentinels were giving them a form of superflu that Xorn/Magneto deactivated with his powers. It's not inconceivable to think that in this history he merely modified them to gradually weaken the original X-Men. He did use the nano-sentinels to heal Xavier's spine and take it away during the reveal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, the nano-sentinels were giving them a form of superflu that Xorn/Magneto deactivated with his powers. It's not inconceivable to think that in this history he merely modified them to gradually weaken the original X-Men. He did use the nano-sentinels to heal Xavier's spine and take it away during the reveal.
Seems that it's more of a secondary mutation thing going on. I think part of my confusion was that Dark Beast used micro-senitnels to gently caress up the Phormer Pheonix Phive's powers in ANXM.

Also lol at Beast clamping a VR rig to some guy's nutsack and taking a fantastic voyage through his seed in real time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Petition to request a Nova Dog ongoing that teams-up with Pizza Dog.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Petition to request a Nova Dog ongoing that teams-up with Pizza Dog.

Cosmo's going to be so pissed, he could've been a Nova this whole time.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

wait which book is Nova dog in, I need this

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

wait which book is Nova dog in, I need this

Everyone needs to be reading Infinity Gauntlet.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

zoux posted:

Also I've been inspired to read the Korvacs saga, expect my hot takes on how stilted and unnatural comic book writing was in the past imminently.

"This piss garbage churned out in enormous volume on tight deadlines for actual children by writers lacking the talent to find employment in a more prestigious and lucrative field such as dime novels—I find it lacking in quality!!!!! :monocle:"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahahaha gently caress Doom has made Doometric system. Kilodooms are how distance is measured. :allears:

Also he's plagiarized all known poetry and claimed it for himself.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

SynthOrange posted:

Hahahaha gently caress Doom has made Doometric system. Kilodooms are how distance is measured. :allears:

Honestly, this made me respect him even more.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

John Doome.

Also I hope whoever pitched "Cap on Planet Hulk with a giant red dinosaur" gets a raise.

Oh is the Doc Green stuff from the most recent run of Hulk that I didn't read?

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 24, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh my god E is for Extinction:

:allears:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Infinity Gauntlet was the stuff of dreams. I haven't wanted to read the next issue of a series so badly in a long time.

Extinction was a fun time. It definitely feels like Morrison's world, but there are a lot of aspects that also feel very starkly "not Morrison" about it to me. I think I'm just bitter at Jean always being jobbed no matter where she is.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

And that's not even the best part

secondary mutation: tv remote :lol:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SynthOrange posted:

Ah so it wasn't meant to be on an angle. The issues I looked at the comic store today had everything off center, like they were positioned wrong when they were cut.

That or there was some kinda dutch angle going on.

Emma, put some pants on.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I feel like the art is just cartwheeling on the fine line between homage and mockery.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

This was loving gold.

The series feels like Morrison crossed with ... 90s alt comix? It's so loving great. There's genuinely enjoyable character stuff, a story I"m actually interested in, and it also manages to mock the poo poo out of the source while simultaneously respecting it. I don't even know. So great. Villalobos' art is perfect for whatever the gently caress is happening.

Planet Hulk ruled this week, too. I love the patriotism orouboros of having Sam be the original Cap in this part of Battleworld. I don't feel like pre-serum Steve actually looked that weak/sickly, but whatever, I'll shrug it off. Devil Dinosaur is the poo poo and I am so glad he is in this.

And seeing Nova dog has decided me that I gotta grab Infinity Gauntlet for sure. I'd been slacking on it, but now's the time, gently caress it.

BrianWilly posted:

I feel like the art is just cartwheeling on the fine line between homage and mockery.

This is a good way to put how the whole book feels really.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Infinity Gauntlet #2 was great.
Korvac Saga #1 was kinda dull and I'm not sticking with that.
E is for Extinction #1 I loved and can't wait for more.
I caught up on Secret Wars 2099 #2 which was okay, but I don't think I'm going to stick with it.
Also caught up on Marvel Zombies #1 which I liked a lot despite being the world's second biggest Nextwave non-fan after E&C.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

SW #4 preview: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/24/preview-marvels-secret-wars

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Everyone needs to be reading Infinity Gauntlet.

The best part is that the dog is apparently a natural Nova.

"I don't think the dog can be a-- oh, I guess he can."
"We'll never get the dog to fly-- oh, no, there he goes."
"Okay, kids, I know you can't fight but we have to-- oh man, look at that dog go."

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

"Okay, kids, I know you can't fight but we have to-- oh man, look at that dog go."
Yeah, I'll take this guy over G'nort any day of the week.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I love Zigzag so much. New favorite Nova. :nyoron: The rest of the family are pretty great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Issue one was a lot running from bugs, so don't feel bad if you missed out on it and jump right into part two. It'd make a real good animated movie or anime.

• Locked thread