Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
It seems like I was being somewhat needlessly pedantic - I really appreciate how Bleeding Edge is acting as a skeleton key for the way Pynchon normally uses references in his work because I actually understand the ones in Bleeding Edge without a companion book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Cloks posted:

It seems like I was being somewhat needlessly pedantic - I really appreciate how Bleeding Edge is acting as a skeleton key for the way Pynchon normally uses references in his work because I actually understand the ones in Bleeding Edge without a companion book.

References to other works of literature and world history - wow I don't get this
References to Final Fantasy and Pokemon - now we're talking

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

References to other works of literature and world history - wow I don't get this
References to Final Fantasy and Pokemon - now we're talking

This is a sick burn but I get what he is saying re: understanding obscure pop culture bullshit from my own time I am living in and not old comics/bands/radio shows from WW2 or the 60's (Gravity's Rainbow and Inherent Vice respectively). It's not so much "world history and literature" as it is the equivalent of cheezy trendy pop culture garbage, but just from an era I don't remember.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Dragon Ball Z is not garbage.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Shibawanko posted:

Lots of people always come in here saying that they've never read proper literature, and ask what they should read first, and the answer should always just be Coetzee. Anyone can read Disgrace and get something out of it, and it's very straightforward prose.

There's no point recommending Dante or whatever because new readers would never finish it, and most "accessible classics" like anything by Orwell or Dickens tend to be aesthetically shallow and bad introductions to what literature is really about.

I agree with this sentiment.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Shibawanko posted:

Dragon Ball Z is not garbage.

Dragon Ball is much better in terms of having a story that's not just "gotta be the strongest punchman" but probably because the earliest part borrows rather liberally from Journey to the West.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
If anyone gets a break in their gruelling schedule of defending the literary merit of children's cartoons, A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James is really good.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mousepractice posted:

If anyone gets a break in their gruelling schedule of defending the literary merit of children's cartoons, A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James is really good.

I'm about halfway through it right now, and agree. I took a break to sneak in some shorter books but the writing is fantastic.

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
I was reading Lanark and the shift to duncan thaw was a real boner-killer for me because i greatly enjoy the weird poo poo. Is it worth powering through vis-a-pis enjoying book 4 more or can i skip there directly?

Thank u and nice thread everyone

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Been doing a lot of Irish writers recently.

Pounded out the new ones by Anne Enright and Paul Lynch

Read Black Snow by Paul Lynch if you can. Its David Vann good.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Been doing a lot of Irish writers recently.

Pounded out the new ones by Anne Enright and Paul Lynch

Read Black Snow by Paul Lynch if you can. Its David Vann good.

Did you try Young Skins by Colin Barrett? A collection of interlinked short stories, very quick read. Top stuff.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

last irish book I read was The House of Splendid isolation by Edna O'Brien. It was good if a little predictable and heavy handed at times

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I can only read an Irish book if the author wanted to gently caress the farts out of someone.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Speaking of Irish Writers, A Girl is a Half-Formed Thing was really good too.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
op I am curious how you define real literature and how I stack up to your sensibilities. If you dont mind, could you judge the realness of the following authors?

Kurt Vonnegut
Ray Bradbury
Isaac Asimov
John Williams
Isaac Asimov - Phillip K Dick
HP Lovecraft

Feel free to answer one or more or none, thank you.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 24, 2015

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

op I am curious how you define real literature and how I stack up to your sensibilities. If you dont mind, could you judge the realness of the following authors?

Kurt Vonnegut
Ray Bradbury
Isaac Asimov
John Williams
Isaac Asimov
HP Lovecraft

Feel free to answer one or more or none, thank you.

yes
sometimes
no
maybe
same person
no

God bless

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
What qualifies as real literature op? If complexity of concepts and character motivation are a factor I would think Asimov and Bradbury would rate very high. And I understand a lot of Lovecraft stories boil down to "Guy writing about the time we went down into a scary hole and now he's crazy" but his word placement is beautiful and extremely skillful at times, at least in my opinion. Would you mind again answering the realness of the following authors?

Shakespeare
George Orwell
F Scott Fitzgerald
Mario Puzo
Orson Scott Card
and for fun, John Grisham

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 24, 2015

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

What qualifies as real literature op? If complexity of concepts and character motivation are a factor I would think Asimov and Bradbury would rate very high. And I understand a lot of Lovecraft stories boil down to "Guy writing about the time we went down into a scary hole and now he's crazy" but his word placement is beautiful and extremely skillful at times, at least in my opinion. Would you mind again answering the realness of the following authors?

Shakespeare
George Orwell
F Scott Fitzgerald
Mario Puzo
Orson Scott Card

Yes
Yes
For the most part
Not really
No
And for fun, no

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I read only one lovecraft story and it was on an airplane and it helped me sleep through turbulence. I'm terrified of turbulence.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

its important that scifi authors like philip k dick and orson scott card be brought up in this thread because there are just so few other places in this forum where scifi gets any respect or can be discussed

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

It is important because if you want to be true harold bloom high lit bro you can't accidentally read sff that's not approved by academia..

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Shakespeare
George Orwell
F Scott Fitzgerald
Mario Puzo
Orson Scott Card

I think writing skill has to be a part of it. I just reread Fahrenheit 451. I felt the book was rather shallow and I wasn't particularly impressed with his actual writing.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Earwicker posted:

its important that scifi authors like philip k dick and orson scott card be brought up in this thread because there are just so few other places in this forum where scifi gets any respect or can be discussed

Heh

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

mallamp posted:

It is important because if you want to be true harold bloom high lit bro you can't accidentally read sff that's not approved by academia..

I wholeheartedly agree.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Not this loving poo poo again

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hrm allow me to try a bitch-tier socratic method of attempting to define the values of literature so that I can hopefully get you in a gotcha moment to prove once and for all that Stephen King is high art. - some fucker every few weeks

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ah, so you say that Literature has an important social value, well have you considered this...

*bends over, spreads butt cheeks, makes rear end in a top hat vibrate with a might fart*

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

There's nothing in the rulebook that says a dog CAN'T write high literature.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

mallamp posted:

i dont give a poo poo about being a harold bloom high lit bro, and i do enjoy scifi

but its nice to have one thread in the book forum where people regularly recommend and discuss good books outside of science fiction or fantasy.

which imo is far more useful than debating why genre author X is or is not Literary for the 200th time. defending the reputation of HP Lovecraft or whatever is not something anyone needs to do

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 24, 2015

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
if anybody's read Doris Lessing's (presumably crazy) SF trilogy, they're welcome to discuss it here though, I guess.

bsically, i don't mind some limited discussion of sf books even in this thread (unless it goes out of hand), but not talking about the lack of recognition of sf/f in lit circles, and nitpicking if this or that author should be 'lit' or 'sf/f'.

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 24, 2015

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Burning Rain posted:

if anybody's read Doris Lessing's (presumably crazy) SF trilogy, they're welcome to discuss it here though, I guess.

ive read Memoirs of a Survivor which is very good, and I guess could be categorized as scifi or at least speculative fiction. I dont think its part of a trilogy so I guess you are talking about something else. But its an incredible book and quite atmospheric. the book takes place shortly after some global catastrophe (which is never specified) leading to a societal collapse, and it's written from the perspective of an elderly woman who stays in her apartment in a tower block watching the world fall apart out her window

on my to-read list right now I have The Good Terrorist which is about squatters and far left radicals in 80's London, I read through a couple chapters in the store and it did suck me in but at this point I am getting a little tired of English class drama and I suspect that will be a big part of the book

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 24, 2015

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Earwicker posted:

ive read Memoirs of a Survivor which is very good, and I guess could be categorized as scifi or at least speculative fiction. I dont think its part of a trilogy so I guess you are talking about something else. But its an incredible book and quite atmospheric

on my to-read list right now I have The Good Terrorist which is about squatters and far left radicals in 80's London, I read through a couple chapters in the store and it did suck me in but at this point I am getting a little tired of English class drama and I suspect that will be a big part of the book

No, i meant Canopus in Argos series, which is actually six books as i just found out (with the full title of the first book being Re: Colonised Planet 5, Shikasta. Personal, psychological, historical documents relating to visit by Johor (George Sherban) Emissary (Grade 9) 87th of the Period of the Last Days)

But I've only read a bunch of her short stories, which was some powerful stuff, but now i'm basically paralysed with choice cuz her stuff is all quite different, and i'm not sure if i'm interested more in her Zimbabwe, feminist, dystopic or autobiographical writing

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Harold Bloom is himself a non-acadamia approved sci-fi author, but he's no Henry Darger.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Nanomashoes posted:

Harold Bloom is himself a non-acadamia approved sci-fi author, but he's no Henry Darger.

Henry Darger is definitely academia approved or at least he was like 20 years ago when i actually interacted with academics

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Earwicker posted:

i dont give a poo poo about being a harold bloom high lit bro, and i do enjoy scifi

but its nice to have one thread in the book forum where people regularly recommend and discuss good books outside of science fiction or fantasy.

my favorite thing is every once in a while I'll see that Black Library thread in this forum and think "Oh cool, lemme post about some James Baldwin" lol nope

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

my favorite thing is every once in a while I'll see that Black Library thread in this forum and think "Oh cool, lemme post about some James Baldwin" lol nope

Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed the absolute boom going on with Nigerian Diaspora writers right now?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
dunno but Things Fall Apart is genuinely terrible

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Ras Het posted:

Actually, it owns. So does Man of the People. I mean, it's not literary pyrotechnics, but both are v good novels with immense influence.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Ras Het posted:

It's pretty good m8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I recently remembered Ngugi wa Thiong'o's name for the first time so I'm feeling p[retty good about my contributions to helping continued victims of imperialism atm