Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwellsdemon
Nov 12, 2007
meh
Grimey Drawer
Can you change your sex during customization?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Maxwellsdemon posted:

Can you change your sex during customization?

You can choose between the man or the woman by switching which of them is in front of the mirror.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Magmarashi posted:

As of last year, the gaming community is at least 50% women.

That's because there's greater amounts of cell phone game and stuff out there, not because women like Fallout more.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Actually, it's about target audiences in video games.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Rutibex posted:

Hmm, a more action oriented, less RPGish Fallout game with pre-generated characters to facilitate a richer storytelling experience. I can't see why anyone would be apprehensive about that. I can't help but feel this was attempted before, how did that turn out....

:allears: you're just precious

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's gonna be awkward listening to the dude's voice actor comment on the woman's looks, I hadn't thought of it just before now. "Wow! What a pretty nose!"

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Rutibex posted:

Hmm, a more action oriented, less RPGish Fallout game with pre-generated characters to facilitate a richer storytelling experience. I can't see why anyone would be apprehensive about that. I can't help but feel this was attempted before, how did that turn out....

So we'd all rather go with what the previous games did and have the intro be "we just conjured this rear end in a top hat from thin air - you can go ahead with all the self insertion fan fic and homoerotic slash you want now" and call it a day?

I actually like the fact that they are including some backstory you can interact with. Woulf it be nice if you could customize things a bit more? Sure. But in the end people would just get sick of that too and it'd be a waste of resources.

As a gay man I honestly don't care that you have to play a family man. It's not oppressive or offenaive in any way. You can just pretent you're queer as hell but had to marry and get a kid to fit in so you wouldn't be disowned and beaten to death. Instant bonus diversity brownie points.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Magmarashi posted:

As of last year, the gaming community is at least 50% women.

Edit: Slightly misleading article title but here http://www.pcgamer.com/researchers-find-that-female-pc-gamers-outnumber-males/

http://www.theesa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/ESA-Essential-Facts-2015.pdf

54% male. It's close, I agree. And as someone else mentioned, you're talking about ALL games, not just people who will play THIS game. My wife plays some farm game on her phone. Does that make her a gamer? Regardless, let's say it's a 50/50 split. I'd wager there are far more straight players than gay players, because there's far more straight people in the world. And you can play as male or female. So my point still stands- they made a financial decision.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

New Leaf posted:

My wife plays some farm game on her phone. Does that make her a gamer?
Ya

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Cannot believe the husband and wife are going to have dialogue to encourage the player to build a conventionally "attractive" face and discourage them from building a conventionally "unattractive" face.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

New Leaf posted:

I said nothing of the sort, and my attempt humorous comment should not be intended as such.

The point that I was trying to make is this: Everyone wants the protagonist of the game to be someone other than who they are. Bethesda made a time-conscious and financial choice to put in one intro to set the stage for the rest of their game that nobody in this thread has even played. The gaming community is predominately straight male, so when that's what the game was built around. It's absurd to think that they'd do it any other way. Yes, options would be nice. But that's more lines of dialogue, an entirely new character model for the spouse, etc. If you want something different than what they've presented, wait for a mod.

That's not entirely true. Straight males are the audience that's being catered to. Even outside of mobile gaming, more and more people who don't fit that criteria are playing games. Representation matters.

Also, this is a AAA game in a multi-million-dollar industry, it's not like they're on a low budget and can't afford another voice actor or two.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.
There hasn't been a single Fallout game where the character didn't have some amount of premade backstory.

The protagonist of Fallout 1 was always an unmarried young adult from Vault 13, who went on to have a heterosexual relationship which ended up leading to the protagonist of Fallout 2.

The protagonist of Fallout 2 had even more detail, as the descendent of the first game's protagonist, a specific age for the coming of age ceremony, living family members, and more.

Fallout 3 had you as the child of James, born in the wasteland before coming to the vault as an infant, with specific childhood friends and enemies.

And Fallout 4 is going to have you be married to someone of the opposite sex, with a child.

Fallout has literally never been a franchise where you play an Elder Scrolls-style blank slate protagonist. The closest it's ever come to that is the Courier in New Vegas, and even then there were details added, especially in the DLC. People whining for literally dozens of pages about how Fallout 4 is changing something about the franchise by giving your character a few unavoidable personal details, like family members, clearly never played any of the other Fallout games which also had things like your age and family members predetermined.

Seriously, this is really dumb.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rutibex posted:

Leave this thread until you can realize why this post is stupid.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They probably could have avoided this had they not made the two playable characters a couple. But we don't know the story stuff that happens in the vault, so it could be a moot point.

edit:

New Leaf posted:

In 20 years, you might be right. Today, in 2015, you're wrong about the state of the industry. The almighty dollar speaks louder than any sexual orientation.

Gotta start somewhere. It's a gradual process not a sudden one and it'll only change if more AAA games catered to basic things like orientation, race and sex.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 24, 2015

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Mr Tastee posted:

That's not entirely true. Straight males are the audience that's being catered to. Even outside of mobile gaming, more and more people who don't fit that criteria are playing games. Representation matters.

Also, this is a AAA game in a multi-million-dollar industry, it's not like they're on a low budget and can't afford another voice actor or two.

In 20 years, you might be right. Today, in 2015, you're wrong about the state of the industry. The almighty dollar speaks louder than any sexual orientation.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

New Leaf posted:

My wife plays some farm game on her phone. Does that make her a gamer?

The Fallout app game will probably make more money than the Witcher 3. It's a serious game, insomuch as it's going to help pay for some Bethesda employees kids' college. And it doesn't get more serious than that.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Fallout 4: Gay. Gay never changes.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
They should remove all dialogue, graphics, and gameplay. Anything less ruins the RPG experience.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

New Leaf posted:

And exactly what do you know about the games industry? Do you work in marketing or something?

Either way, it doesn't make it right.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Games are actually really pretty good nowadays.

Bioshock: Infinite's critical reviews are all above 90% and that game was terrible.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Mr Tastee posted:

And exactly what do you know about the games industry? Do you work in marketing or something?

You'll have to speak up, I'm drying myself off with 100 dollar bills.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Bioshock: Infinite's critical reviews are all above 90% and that game was terrible.
They put a lot of work into buying those score, don't take that away from them.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Spikeguy posted:

I don't think I've seen such a turnaround from major hype to 100% confidence that a game will turn out to be poo poo. I know past evidence does not prove future instances, but seeing how well Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim turned out it just seems like there should be a bit more confidence.
The pre-release Skyrim thread was the same way. The only difference is that SNAKES N CAKES trolling was more amusing than this thread's endless debates about gender politics.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

Infinite isn't terrible. It stands firmly in the extremely average category.

Your point still stands though.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Todd "MOM GET OUT I'M CLEANING IT" Howard has announced there will be a forced sex change in the game and mandatory homosexual marriage.

How many nude mods do you think Todd Howard has installed? Do you guys think the dog has a vagina like the horses in Oblivion?

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr Tastee posted:

I know, I am one, and I take it all back if my spouse can be same-sex or at the very least I can pursue a same-sex relationship after confirming that yes, my wife is dead.

This is good.

Have you ever had sex, of either type? And are you still taking your medication daily? Perhaps it would be better to sort your life out first, before worrying about sexual orientation in video games.

Sorry everyone for the potential derail, I was reading the thread and got a bit worried about Mr Tastee, who is not in a good way :(

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Praetorian Mage posted:

I find it's easy enough to ignore if I don't listen to the radio and mod away the godawful energy weapon models.
Might I suggest to you Rage or Borderlands

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Mr Tastee posted:

I know, I am one, and I take it all back if my spouse can be same-sex or at the very least I can pursue a same-sex relationship after confirming that yes, my wife is dead.

This is good.

The worst part about the first Terminator movie was that Sarah Connor wasn't gay. They have a chance to fix it with the new movie, but it looks like she still isn't gay or at least bisexual.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

Have you ever had sex, of either type? And are you still taking your medication daily? Perhaps it would be better to sort your life out first, before worrying about sexual orientation in video games.

Sorry everyone for the potential derail, I was reading the thread and got a bit worried about Mr Tastee, who is not in a good way :(

Everything's going fine for me right now. Not exactly the best time to brong that up.

Yaos posted:

The worst part about the first Terminator movie was that Sarah Connor wasn't gay. They have a chance to fix it with the new movie, but it looks like she still isn't gay or at least bisexual.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Here's another interview with the Todd-man himself

nothing earthshaking, map will be roughly the same size of Skyrim (maybe)

couldn't help but laugh at this part tho

quote:

What did you learn from your work on Skyrim?
"It's really [what] people... enjoy in an open-world and how you reward their exploration. And how you tell a story that works, given they can do whatever they want."

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The best questline in Skyrim was the Dark Brotherhood questline for the sole reason that when you start and Astrid tells you someone has to die before you can leave the cabin, you can just kill Astrid. Then you can go to the leader of the Imperial secret police (forgot what they're called, oculus something) and get a quest to go to the DB hideout and kill everyone inside.

Too bad it wasn't more fleshed out besides 'go here, kill everyone, reward, end of quest line,' and that it was apparently the only questline where you could just go 'nah gently caress you guys actually.'

Mr Tastee posted:

This is good.

That's pretty much how it will work afaik :shrug:

Take off the wedding ring and toss it on the ground, take the confirmed bachelor perk, and have at it.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Mr Tastee posted:

I know exactly as much as you do from being a consumer of their product for the past 30 years.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Yaos posted:

They should remove all dialogue, graphics, and gameplay. Anything less ruins the RPG experience.

I would be fine with isometric sprites, 640x480 resolution. More than that is just distracting.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mr Tastee posted:

I don't know how I'll be able to deal with a game forcing me into a relationship with a man. The game is not catering to my sexual preference and I HATE STRAIGHT PEOPLE.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Cannot believe the husband and wife are going to have dialogue to encourage the player to build a conventionally "attractive" face and discourage them from building a conventionally "unattractive" face.

I just think the kind of grim-voiced fellow will sound funny complimenting her cheekbones during construction.

New Leaf posted:

My wife plays some farm game on her phone. Does that make her a gamer? n.

Yes :confused:

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

New Leaf posted:

I know exactly as much as you do from being a consumer of their product for the past 30 years.

Then you should be aware of the fact that audiences are changing and the industry needs to adjust to this.

Anita Dickinme posted:

I don't know how I'll be able to deal with a game forcing me into a relationship with a man. The game is not catering to my sexual preference and I HATE STRAIGHT PEOPLE.

I can deal with it, I would just prefer it to be otherwise.

Jeez, you guys get to poo poo on this game for whatever story or gameplay issue you have, but when I start complaining about having to be hetero, I'm the one who's wrong?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The culture of the Pre-War Fallout world would likely frown upon homosexual relationships, thats for liberal pinko commies etc. So you are free to roleplay your character as closeted or in a marriage of convenience and have that be a valid choice based on the game world. Once the bombs drop and everyone you have ever known is dead, well then its party time. :getin:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Mr Tastee posted:

Jeez, you guys get to poo poo on this game for whatever story or gameplay issue you have, but when I start complaining about having to be hetero, I'm the one who's wrong?

Yes. You, the completely reasonable and even-headed one, are actually the bad guy and not the completely hyperbolic man-babies mocking arguments that don't exist.

Isn't the internet FUN?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Maybe I should have said "Is she a gamer in the target audience that most AAA game developers give a poo poo about?" Because I can assure- my wife playing a farm game, and my grandma playing Windows Solitaire, and my dad playing Wii Golf do not- and will not- care about Fallout 4.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Mobile gamers are like 3/5ths of a gamer at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.

Mr Tastee posted:

Then you should be aware of the fact that audiences are changing and the industry needs to adjust to this.

Thanks for the queer erasure, you loving bigot.

• Locked thread