Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

rscott posted:

What are the chances that Bernie gets what he wants and the Democrats start debates this summer?

There are two debates scheduled for "August/September"; summer ends September 23rd. All other things being equal, that's an 87% chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

neonnoodle posted:

This is already happening at the grass roots. Look at the strategy guide that Reason used in its early days. The business-right doesn't care where its supporters come from or how they feel about the gays, as long as they ultimately work to undermine government regulations.

In Silicon Valley at least, between the libertarian seasteaders and the neoreactionaries like Mencius Moldbug, the Republicans should have no problem farming another generation of zerglings.

That Reason article is loving awful but it's also totally accurate. The Republicans would easily sweep this election if they found a candidate who was popular with both socially progressive Millennial libertarians and authoritarian Boomers.

In theory, there's plenty of overlap: racism/sexism, regressive economic policies, gun rights. But it's impossible to appease both groups simultaneously on core issues like drug legalization, gay rights, church and state, etc.

The best they've done is Paul Ryan, and look how that turned out .

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bobby Jindal released a hidden camera video of him talking to his kids about his announcement on his Facebook page.

"If you behave you can go back to Iowa with me..." :dogbutton:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Vermont NEA has endorsed Bernie Sanders for President.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Indie Rocktopus posted:

The best they've done is Paul Ryan, and look how that turned out .

Whatever happened with him, anyway? I'm kinda surprised he didn't try to make a run this year.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Alter Ego posted:

They don't have much in Western MA or the Cape, either. Central MA seems to be the only place where there's a large concentration of rear end in a top hat Republicans, and even then they're not Tea Party types so much as establishment, FYGM rich-people types.

NH is right there to absorb all the crazies, and plenty of the FYGM types as well.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Joementum posted:

The Vermont NEA has endorsed Bernie Sanders for President.

wrap it up, Hillaryailures

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Can't you argue that as a couple more decades pass and the 'inevitable' social issues of today (drug war, gay marriage, abortion) become effectively settled and mainstream, that it will be harder for the Democrats to win election as it is much easier to dupe an uninformed public about stuff like regressive economic policy, unions, or police violence than it is about about something as black and white as whether or not you're allowed to smoke weed?

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 24, 2015

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

MrChupon posted:

Can't you argue that as a couple more decades pass and the 'inevitable' social issues of today (drug war, gay marriage, abortion) become effectively settled and mainstream, that it will be harder for the Democrats to win election as it is much easier to dupe an uninformed public about stuff like regressive economic policy, unions, or police violence than it is about about something as black and white as whether or not you're allowed to smoke weed?

Yes. This is probably what will happen. The hope for Democrats is that people are alienated enough from the Republicans when they become politically aware that they develop partisan attachments and aren't willing to hear out the Republicans on how eliminating the capital gains tax is great for gays.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I like how in most of Bobby Jindal's secret family cam:
1. His kids are unethuiastic about his running, and especially about going to Iowa
2. He's framed so he's partially hidden by a tree
3. His grass is green (but I'm in drought-stricken southern CA, so I notice this everywhere).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MrChupon posted:

Democrats win elections because their opposition is a white supremacist party and the country is not overwhelmingly white. To change that dynamic will probably mark the end of the Republican party as a whole, and the emergence of a totally new party.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Bicyclops posted:

This is one of those things where you get the joke and it's probably enough after about 30 seconds, but you're glad the whole thing is there.

Be sure to watch the end.

Dancer posted:

Hey so you used the .gifs which is great, but it occurs to me that this wonderful CNN made... thing is not in the OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6AlQiWatD4
Impeach Joementum.

Maybe the best thing CNN has done in years.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Whatever happened with him, anyway? I'm kinda surprised he didn't try to make a run this year.
Keeps trying to pass "sensible" budgets that fall apart when you actually try to look at the numbers.

But, you see, he's a wonk so explaining the rationale is beyond us...

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
i really need scott walker emerging from a hole on a ladder in gif form

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

turevidar posted:

NH is right there to absorb all the crazies, and plenty of the FYGM types as well.

Oh, that reminds me--there was one other good thing that happened on Election Night 2014. Scott Brown ate poo poo for a second time and then dropped off the face of the earth.

Truly a victory for us all.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mooyashi posted:

i really need scott walker emerging from a hole on a ladder in gif form

Have you seen the OP of this thread?

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
it's been a while, thanks

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

computer parts posted:

Democrats win elections because their opposition is a white supremacist party

How about that white supremacist senator we elected from the deeply racist state of south carolina.

Oh wait it was a black dude.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Not sure what was more awkward, that Jindal campaign announcement video or his SOTU response speech in a hallway next to a staircase.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
How about all those non-white candidates the Democrats are fielding this year.

Man it sucks being this white supremacist.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Nothing says presidential like "secretly" filming your disinterested children while you hide from the camera behind a tree.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

computer parts posted:

Democrats win elections because their opposition is a white supremacist party and the country is not overwhelmingly white. To change that dynamic will probably mark the end of the Republican party as a whole, and the emergence of a totally new party.

The demographic shifts in this country--the fact that less of the electorate is white and more of it is black/Hispanic--is what will kill them, at least every Presidential cycle. We saw what happened when the percentage of the white vote dropped something like 2-3%--it essentially was the difference between Obama and Romney in 2012.

If the Republican Party was smart, it would realize that its base is getting whiter, the country is not, and perhaps they shouldn't allow people like Steve "Mexicans With Ankles Like Cantaloupes" King to dictate immigration policy. But they won't do that, because to do so would require introspection on their part.

So now I wonder--what happens in 2016 when the white vote is even less of the the overall totals? Or, god forbid, some of those white Appalachian Democrats who couldn't bring themselves to vote for Obama suddenly find themselves with no qualms pulling the lever for Hillary Clinton (or Bernie Sanders :v:)?

TheDisreputableDog posted:

How about that white supremacist senator we elected from the deeply racist state of south carolina.

You really don't understand the concept of "tokenism", do you? Just because the GOP found a few black guys willing to carry water for them doesn't make them not racist.

Oh by the way Tim Scott is a complete blood-gargling psychopath in the style of Ben Carson; just because he's black doesn't make him not a reprehensible human being.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 24, 2015

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

It would have been better

"I am running for president...just kidding we are getting divorced"

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

computer parts posted:

Yes, but as we're seeing this week with all of the confederate flag hoopla, they are only white supremacist as far as it will serve their (corporate) ends.

I'm sort of terrified for the day when all of those people die out, and the new, friendlier Republican party starts (continues?) gutting progressive social and economic advancements of the 20th century in the name of money, but they aren't obviously prude/evil enough for people to get up from their bread-and-circuses Idiocracy chairs and go vote against.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

If HRC doesn't tap Julian Castro I'll be so mad.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MrChupon posted:

I'm sort of terrified for the day when all of those people die out, and the new, friendlier Republican party starts (continues?) gutting progressive social and economic advancements of the 20th century in the name of money, but they aren't obviously prude/evil enough for people to get up from their bread-and-circuses Idiocracy chairs and go vote against.

Protip: they're not going to be able to do this unless they make significant inroads to minority groups.

This is going to be hard as minoritiy groups are disproportionately poor.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

computer parts posted:

Protip: they're not going to be able to do this unless they make significant inroads to minority groups.

This is going to be hard as minoritiy groups are disproportionately poor.

As long as the current infrastructure that condones racism is in place, it won't happen. Doesn't matter if the ethnic group is actually kind of socially conservative (like a lot of Hispanics), calling them all illegals and telling them to go back to Mexico, which appears to be the Republican Party platform, is not going to get them to vote for you.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

rscott posted:

What are the chances that Bernie gets what he wants and the Democrats start debates this summer?

Unless the DEC changes the schedule, 99.9999% (there are two scheduled already aren't there?) Snark aside, the chances of having more debates, or debates that include debates against Republican candidates, are about as good as Bernie's chances of winning the nomination (i.e. "unlikely" is a kind way to put it).

"We aren't racist, we've got black friends."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Welp. The Democratic debates are going to be fun.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

So now I wonder--what happens in 2016 when the white vote is even less of the the overall totals? Or, god forbid, some of those white Appalachian Democrats who couldn't bring themselves to vote for Obama suddenly find themselves with no qualms pulling the lever for Hillary Clinton (or Bernie Sanders :v:)?

So your plan to overcome the enthusiasm gap left by the fact that the Obama coalition is broken is to count on your racist elements. "Well, she *did* start the birther movement, I guess she can't be all bad...."

quote:

You really don't understand the concept of "tokenism", do you? Just because the GOP found a few black guys willing to carry water for them doesn't make them not racist.

The fact is that Republicans elected at the national level are getting more diverse. To be fair, still not as diverse as Democrats, but it's a real thing, not tokenism - you can look at the historic firsts the midterms brought.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

So your plan to overcome the enthusiasm gap left by the fact that the Obama coalition is broken is to count on your racist elements. "Well, she *did* start the birther movement, I guess she can't be all bad...."

Nice strawman. Where did I say I "counted" on it? I said it could be a factor, mostly because it actually might be, even if it's in places where it won't make much difference electoral votes-wise, like West Virginia, Kentucky, and Arkansas.

Joementum posted:

whyjimwebbwontbepresident.jpg

Seriously, it's the easiest thing in the world to respond to, and he hosed it up.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Joementum posted:

I can't wait for the "This guy is obviously a false flag so Hillary can avoid the tough economic questions" conspiracy theories.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

The fact is that Republicans elected at the national level are getting more diverse. To be fair, still not as diverse as Democrats, but it's a real thing, not tokenism - you can look at the historic firsts the midterms brought.

Well, sure--but that doesn't address the claim that Americans can look at the facts in front of them and see that the GOP is a party that at best tacitly benefits from the racist vote, and supports policies that harm Americans because of that.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Joementum posted:

Jim Webb is an actual piece of poo poo and is trying so, so hard to appeal to Reagan Democrats©

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Another one for the logo pile

Pretty lazy, I give it 2 Obama-O-s out of 5

ass cobra fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 24, 2015

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Really needs a B in front for maximum effect.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

mdemone posted:

If HRC doesn't tap Julian Castro I'll be so mad.

I want this just so we can hear idiot conservatives panicking "His last name is Castro! Like FIDEL CASTRO! He's obviously a communist."

Because conservatives haven't done enough to alienate Hispanic Americans.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
But our own candidate will either actually be or be married to a Hispanic American.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Berniest Bernie Sanders Video Ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4l_MhBkN0w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Just as a way to pass the time, I enjoy reading conservative news sites being pissy: http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2015/06/23/after-shaming-trump-neil-young-allows-bernie-sanders-to-use-campaign-song/

• Locked thread