Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Krinkle posted:

Mostly I see them in trailers before other movies. So Legion's trailer had me laughing from beginning to end. I have no idea how someone was supposed to be scared but some old lady is talking to a pregnant waitress and she's like "aww isn't that sweet" "yeah" "she's gonna burn tee hee hee" and then everyone in the diner is screaming that the someone shoot the old lady who crab walks up the walls. I had tears in my eyes it was so poorly cut together. Like yeah she's a monster but you didn't know that when she said a baby would burn. Dimentia exists. Nobody gave this old lady the benefit of the doubt or pity or anything it was get the shotguns from under the bar and shoot her.

Here's how she reacts to the call for shooting her

Eh, that was in the middle of the loving apocalypse, so maybe its kinda fair to assume she's a demon and not just having dementia. :v: You're forgetting that this is a post "apocalypse exists" world. Shoot first and ask questions later.

I think that screenshot actually looks pretty creepy. It was supposed to be unexpected that the old lady is actually evil, and the reveal with her kinda mutating her body dimensions is pretty freaky. You might just be desensitized to horror or something.

Old ladies can be very scary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Krinkle posted:

Mostly I see them in trailers before other movies. So Legion's trailer had me laughing from beginning to end. I have no idea how someone was supposed to be scared but some old lady is talking to a pregnant waitress and she's like "aww isn't that sweet" "yeah" "she's gonna burn tee hee hee" and then everyone in the diner is screaming that the someone shoot the old lady who crab walks up the walls. I had tears in my eyes it was so poorly cut together. Like yeah she's a monster but you didn't know that when she said a baby would burn. Dimentia exists. Nobody gave this old lady the benefit of the doubt or pity or anything it was get the shotguns from under the bar and shoot her.

Here's how she reacts to the call for shooting her

She said much worse stuff in the actual movie, even dropping an f-bomb, but it was still unintentionally hilarious. The entire movie was to be honest. I recommend it if you are drunk.

Angels spinning around to deflect bullets with their wings, people blatantly ignoring the advice that a freaking angel of God just gave. You know how it is going to end after the first 15 minutes.

Edit: Huh. The SyFy show Dominion is a sequel to this movie set 25 years later.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Oh the vampires from I am Legend:

I feel like in 20 movies around that time they had some cgi tricks they threw into every monsterface movie but the uncanny valley made them stand out as really goofy looking.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
The Blade II Reaper vampires were properly terrifying.

I'm tablet posting so here's a link to some pictures: http://monstersandbeasts.blogspot.com/2011/11/blade-2-reaper.html

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I hate fake video games in TV and movies so much :negative:

Where's that video of Jesse Pinkman playing RAGE with a light gun when I need it dammit

edit:

They spent so much money on the CG for the video game parts of this episode and it is just killing me. Also the video game guy that is the patient of the week is of the "tighten up the graphics on level 3" fake nerd talk guy-who-can-hack-anything-instantly variety.

NCIS might be far and away the worst offender for this. I remember one episode where McGee meets a girl that has the high score in an MMORPG.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Gordon Shumway posted:

NCIS might be far and away the worst offender for this. I remember one episode where McGee meets a girl that has the high score in an MMORPG.

I thought it was in all the MMORPGs.

They did have the episode where two people were both typing on the same keyboard at the same time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gordon Shumway posted:

Like Aleph Null said, it was ALL the MMORPGs which is patently insane.

NCIS or CSI (I don't know the loving difference) is definitely the worst.

In addition to the "two idiots one keyboard" scene, they also chased furries live through second life while using some kind of projector screen contraption. Because their ability to track the perp required them to be physically close to him in second life, because....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTI0ovUMnyE

Hahahahaha look at all that HTML "computer code"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZboyfaVLM4

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Jun 23, 2015

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Krinkle posted:

I hate any vampire movie after blade where they decided fangs aren't scary, cgi tall mouths are scary, so every vampire opens their mouth and their jaw drops a full foot making them look like count loving chocula, a goddamn cartoon, and deflating the tension.

The first instance of CGI tallmouth that I'm aware of happened in The Mummy with Brendan Frasier. The mummy does it whenever he sucks the life force from someone or yells in his scary monster voice. His is jaw is hanging unevenly with tattered flesh, so it looked okay. The mummy regenerates throughout the movie, and the mouth is the last thing to be restored. At the end, he's fully regenerated, and right before they read the incantation that de-powers him, he starts to do the tallmouth and it's goofy as hell.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Krinkle posted:

I hate any vampire movie after blade where they decided fangs aren't scary, cgi tall mouths are scary, so every vampire opens their mouth and their jaw drops a full foot making them look like count loving chocula, a goddamn cartoon, and deflating the tension.

Counterpoint:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

That's fine. Seeing a snake lady deep throat a zonked out lady is legit creepy. I just hate tall-face scream where nothing comes of it.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
What is that gif from? It looks awesome and terrifying.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

tnimark posted:

What is that gif from? It looks awesome and terrifying.

The Taking of Deborah Logan. It's on Netflix right now, and I'd say it's a real solid horror movie.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In Braveheart, during the last climactic battle, Longshanks says, "Arrows cost money, the dead cost nothing" opting to send the Irish conscripts to deal with Wallace and the Scots instead of pelting them with arrows.

But then later, when its clear Wallace is Borked since the other Scottish nobles hightailed it, he tells his Captain to fire arrows at them in spite of hitting his own guys "we have reserves"

Now I get this is supposed to show how ruthless Longshanks is, that he's willing to win decisively no matter the cost, but it bugged me that he makes this issue of how they'll somehow save money by not shooting arrows at the Scots, only to do so later anyway.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Couldn't loving stand that movie. It was like watching a car wreck in slow motion, ugggggggggh.

George Simmons Adam Sandler's rant from the middle of it where he goes to some improv comedy and bombs and then just starts rambling about how he's rich and doesn't know why he's rich and doesn't really deserve it or understand the economy or really loving anything. :v:

Seth Rogan was pretty drat good in it, though.

Yeah Punch-Drunk is the best drama Sandler. Mr.Deeds was pretty dumb but I was a kid when I saw it and thought it was pretty funny and sweet. And Happy Gilmore is his funniest movie.

Pretty much everything after 2002 is just totally poo poo, though. Anger Management was just a weird film, 50 first dates was dumb, Click was dumb, Chuck and Larry was dumb, Zohan was dumb, and we don't talk about Jack & Jill in this thread.
I loved Funny People even though it does go on way too long and suffers from the same problems that every Judd Apatow movie does (awkward tonal shifts dragged out for far longer than any comedy should do). My irrational irritation is that nobody likes Funny People as much as I did.

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Counterpoint:

This would probably scare the piss out of me in context but it looks really goofy on a gray forum.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So in Jurassic World, Chris Pratt's character carries around a Marlin lever-action rifle:

I wasn't paying attention, but my more gun-interested friend brought it up after the movie: as far as she could tell, Pratt's character never actually uses the lever-action, he just shoots it like it's a semi-automatic.

Also, I'd love to see a movie with big monsters or something like dinosaurs when guns actually do...anything. Every movie I see like this, it's like they're firing spitballs, even when there's like two dozen people shooting at a target.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, if you are about 3 stories tall, all a .45 bullet is gonna do is annoy you.

I was more irritated that they didn't have the guys in Jurassic World carrying around Barrett .50 cal sniper rifles or something instead that would actually, you know, cause damage to a dino.

Re: Tall mouth syndrome - It started invading things since it showed up in the Mummy. It's pants on head retarded every god damned time it shows up, be it a spooky ghostie or a vamp or whatever.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zaphod42 posted:

NCIS or CSI (I don't know the loving difference) is definitely the worst.

Everyone should watch an episode of CSI Cyber just to see how bad it can get. Any episode, doesn't matter which one, they're all hilarious. But only watch one, it stops being funny after that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Everyone should watch an episode of CSI Cyber just to see how bad it can get. Any episode, doesn't matter which one, they're all hilarious. But only watch one, it stops being funny after that.

I watched 2 and they were both pretty funny. I meant to watch the whole season, if only because an episode is titled "URL, Interrupted"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Morpheus posted:

So in Jurassic World, Chris Pratt's character carries around a Marlin lever-action rifle:

I wasn't paying attention, but my more gun-interested friend brought it up after the movie: as far as she could tell, Pratt's character never actually uses the lever-action, he just shoots it like it's a semi-automatic.

Also, I'd love to see a movie with big monsters or something like dinosaurs when guns actually do...anything. Every movie I see like this, it's like they're firing spitballs, even when there's like two dozen people shooting at a target.

I know a couple of things about guns but maybe take this to the internet movie firearms database because it is hell of boring.

That came off kinda rude. But you know that's a thing right? Everyone hates the constant "menacing cocking" of firearms but there is a place for this. The gun forum here is also quite good. I don't even know what I'm saying here. I'm sad and depressed.

The thing about giant beasties not giving a single gently caress about your gun is still awesome though because a bear or a moose or a hippo is probably going to laugh at you while you die if you don't have artillery.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

To be fair, if you are about 3 stories tall, all a .45 bullet is gonna do is annoy you.

I was more irritated that they didn't have the guys in Jurassic World carrying around Barrett .50 cal sniper rifles or something instead that would actually, you know, cause damage to a dino.

To be fair, it was a .45/70. I bet Chuck Hardbody's rifle could kill an elephant without reloading.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Krinkle posted:

Later on in the trailer there's a icecream man and everybody's gotta shoot him too because look at that mouth!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

They do that because modern realistic videogame noises would be a distraction in a movie.

Ignoring the idiot uploader's added text (in the movie it's just plain black), I think this worked pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTFrnivm2cE

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Krinkle posted:

Later on in the trailer there's a icecream man and everybody's gotta shoot him too because look at that mouth!

Looks like one of those shoot the mouth to fill the water balloon things at the funfair.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Ignoring the idiot uploader's added text (in the movie it's just plain black), I think this worked pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTFrnivm2cE

That was funny and pretty well done.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

jabby posted:

This is going back a bit, but the 2005 Fantastic Four movie.

OK, so they set up part way through the film that Johnny can reach 'supernova' level temperatures, but its a really bad idea because it risks igniting the Earth's atmosphere. Fair enough, standard Chekov's gun stuff.

But at the end of the film we have Doom, who has killed like two people, caused some property damage/reckless endangerment, and seems bent on killing the four heroes. So their solution is for Johnny to go 'supernova' as part of their plan to defeat him. Seriously? You're going to risk killing every living thing on the planet to stop one guy with superpowers who hasn't even reached the level of a decent spree killer? You don't even know what he wants! All he seems to be interested in is revenge against the four of you, so you are risking extinction of the entire Earth ostensibly just to save your own lives.

At least supervillains in other movies seem to have some over-arching plan that makes stopping them important enough to risk everything. Doom was just pissed and wanted to kill the heroes.

Doom in that movie was terrible. With the sidestory of being a douchebag business man about to be ousted from his position by the board of directors, he was just a lame version of Norman Osborne, and that just made me think of how much better Willem Dafoe would have been as Doom. And making Sue Storm his girlfriend was terrible, agh that whole movie was so terrible.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I was up all night throwing up and all these tall mouth monstrosities are bringing it all back.

yyeah some combination of two grapes, trying to have a taste in my mouth that wasn't last night's bile, and staring into beldar's gaping maw just sent me into more hateful bilious heaves. thanks. thanks everybody.

Krinkle has a new favorite as of 14:11 on Jun 24, 2015

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Grendels Dad posted:

Doom in that movie was terrible. With the sidestory of being a douchebag business man about to be ousted from his position by the board of directors, he was just a lame version of Norman Osborne, and that just made me think of how much better Willem Dafoe would have been as Doom. And making Sue Storm his girlfriend was terrible, agh that whole movie was so terrible.

Is that better or worse than the new reboot where he's some sort of blogger/hacker?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is that better or worse than the new reboot where he's some sort of blogger/hacker?

I'd say worse, because all it ever did was remind me of how much better it could have been. I have no idea how blogger Doom is supposed to work so I'll reserve judgment.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

EmmyOk posted:

That was funny and pretty well done.

The Rock and Channing Tatum had some amazing bro chemistry in that movie. So naturally Tatum's not in 3/4s of it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

jabby posted:

This is going back a bit, but the 2005 Fantastic Four movie.

OK, so they set up part way through the film that Johnny can reach 'supernova' level temperatures, but its a really bad idea because it risks igniting the Earth's atmosphere. Fair enough, standard Chekov's gun stuff.

But at the end of the film we have Doom, who has killed like two people, caused some property damage/reckless endangerment, and seems bent on killing the four heroes. So their solution is for Johnny to go 'supernova' as part of their plan to defeat him. Seriously? You're going to risk killing every living thing on the planet to stop one guy with superpowers who hasn't even reached the level of a decent spree killer? You don't even know what he wants! All he seems to be interested in is revenge against the four of you, so you are risking extinction of the entire Earth ostensibly just to save your own lives.

At least supervillains in other movies seem to have some over-arching plan that makes stopping them important enough to risk everything. Doom was just pissed and wanted to kill the heroes.

They have Sue contain it with a forcefield don't they?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Not sure how accurate that ended up being as you can see him working with Reed and co in the trailers.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Aphrodite posted:

They have Sue contain it with a forcefield don't they?

Yeah. It will wasn't enough to murder Doom.
I wish they'd given Doom the goat legs that Ultimate Doom from the comics had because it would have been hilarious.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Aleph Null posted:

The Blade II Reaper vampires were properly terrifying.

I'm tablet posting so here's a link to some pictures: http://monstersandbeasts.blogspot.com/2011/11/blade-2-reaper.html

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Counterpoint:

Aaaaaannnnd...added to mu queue. Holy poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Panfilo posted:

In Braveheart, during the last climactic battle, Longshanks says, "Arrows cost money, the dead cost nothing" opting to send the Irish conscripts to deal with Wallace and the Scots instead of pelting them with arrows.

But then later, when its clear Wallace is Borked since the other Scottish nobles hightailed it, he tells his Captain to fire arrows at them in spite of hitting his own guys "we have reserves"

Now I get this is supposed to show how ruthless Longshanks is, that he's willing to win decisively no matter the cost, but it bugged me that he makes this issue of how they'll somehow save money by not shooting arrows at the Scots, only to do so later anyway.

Not to mention that they're worried about the cost-effectiveness of arrows one minute but then the next they don't even care about sacrificing their own men?! Equipping and paying those men is more expensive than some bloody arrows. Although back then there was no health insurance so maybe if you died in the King's service you just didn't get paid and he told your family to go gently caress themselves or something, so it was actually cost-effective to lose as many men as possible? :v:

Morpheus posted:

Like others have said small caliber fire does very little to things like Elephants, so I would imagine a big T-Rex could actually realistically take rifle rounds and barely feel it.

But knowing that its really stupid that his character wouldn't take a loving elephant gun with him, or better yet a Barrett like stupid_sexy_flanders suggested or even an RPG. Big game hunters even use calibers in excess of .50 sometimes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The InGen guys even do have RPGs, but they wait until small arms fire has caused panic and dinosaurs to start running before using it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The way I see it, if you fire a, say, bb at me, it's going to sting, and I can probably shrug off a lot of them without being too worried.

If you are firing a machine gun of bb pellets at me, and there's thirty of you, eventually skin is going to break and I am going to hurt...I would think. Not an experiment that I want to try.

Anyway, the other thing that bugged me was how smooth Pratt's motocycle was. On that terrain it should've been bumping all over the place, he wouldn't be able to sit down for a comfy ride.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I just figured Owen's 45-70 is more than enough to take down a raptor, but it's not going to be effective against a genetically engineered super-dinosaur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Counterpoint:

Just watched this - it's a very nicely done piece of horror, escalated to absolute bollock-clenching by how often I expected that gif to crop up.

It does however lead me into another Irrational movie moment:

Unnecessary stingers.

Every drat horror film seems to have this. Blood is shed, lives are split asunder, but eventually evil is defeated at some great cost. But instead of ending quietly and letting the audience process all the emotions of whatever hosed up nightmare scenario they've just lived through, the film will give you a hand clawing out the ground, or zoom in on a clutch of mutant eggs, or a possessed child, or a second evil book. It completely punctures the ending for a very limp almost-scare.

Also, physiology complaint: what the gently caress is a ten year old leukemia patient doing having a period?