Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Why would I ruin such beautiful pastry like that?

I often bake brioche only for the purpose of using it for pain perdu.

Call it the resurrection of the christ of breads!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
thanks hh

Happy Hat posted:

e.g. - when you transferred your baguette to the peel - what was the baguette resting on? Flour hopefully - but what kind? White flour probably.. You should have used durum, as that wouldn't have been soaked as easily, and started sticking.

e.g. you allowed your baguette to rest on your peel - why did you do that - what is the material of your peel? Wouldn't you like a nice dry surface to transport on, rather than something that has been soaking up moisture, or where the baguette had a chance of sticking for after sitting for 20-40 minutes?

e.g. when shaping your bread - do you do so with floured hands? why? Why aren't your hands soaking wet - that will prevent the dough sticking better than floured hands, and then you can let it rest on top of a bed of flour afterwards...

two loaves side by side - one baugette was resting on a ton of semolina flour, the other was on parchment - wanted to test both approaches. both, somehow, stuck. legit point about why I let rest on my peel - the thought was, I'll disturb the loaves less and prevent degassing them if they're already ready to slide into the oven. obviously I was wrong, so I won't do that again. Is it really ok to let rise on parchment? Won't the loaf stick to the parchment? I have a horrible memory of trying to do this with a pizza dough once and the bread and the paper fused together. that might have been wax paper though...

when shaping I was using floured hands. it never really occurred to me to use wet hands - I mean the dough was sticking to my wooden cutting board too, so I don't know what wet hands would have helped. I was having to scrape it off my board with every stretch and pull. maybe I shouldn't be shaping on a wooden cutting board? is the dough really supposed to be *that* wet and sticky?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Wet hands helps, but I personally actually use oiled hands. I find the effect lasts longer.

I barely touch the dough at high hydration because it's more like silly putty. I try to limit my contact to mostly my scraper and oiled fingertips. Letting the dough just sit there and autolyze before you do anything will help with stickiness. 80% hydration dough will stick to the most nonstick of surfaces. That's why you use a scraper. :D

With sufficient gluten development, you shouldn't be degassing it with movement. If you're degassing that easily, it means you haven't developed the gluten enough.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 24, 2015

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I would really like to make a loaf (or rolls) scented or flavoured with tea. Probably something like earl grey- can you guys think of any kinds of breads that would be especially suited to that? I'm thinking something slightly sweet and soft. What's the best way for me to get the flavour of the tea into the bread- steep it really strongly in water? Make part of my water tea concentrate? Earl grey bread has been on my mind all week and I must make some.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

subpar anachronism posted:

I would really like to make a loaf (or rolls) scented or flavoured with tea. Probably something like earl grey- can you guys think of any kinds of breads that would be especially suited to that? I'm thinking something slightly sweet and soft. What's the best way for me to get the flavour of the tea into the bread- steep it really strongly in water? Make part of my water tea concentrate? Earl grey bread has been on my mind all week and I must make some.

I think a pane al latte would be well suited to that, milky and lightly sweet. I have no idea how best to infuse it, however. Experiment!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

subpar anachronism posted:

Earl Grey is flavoured with bergamont. If you just want that 'earl grey essence' maybe find a way to get bergamont into the bread? If you really really want the tea in there as well, I would just sub out your water with tea. It doesn't have to be SUPER strong I don't think, just avoid over steeping the tea and making it bitter and you should be fine.

Also, orange goes really well with bergamont.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Every time I bake with tea it always calls for steeping the tea in the milk and baking with that, so maybe try that? I love tea-flavored things so let me know if you figure something out.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I just pulled a loaf out the oven and the crust was beautiful! Nice and hard and cracked nicely as it cooled, but now it's cold the crust is soft and thin feeling! Why might this have happened?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I just pulled a loaf out the oven and the crust was beautiful! Nice and hard and cracked nicely as it cooled, but now it's cold the crust is soft and thin feeling! Why might this have happened?

It happens sometimes. It can help to add slight amounts of extra gluten or diastatic malt powder. Another solution is keeping air moving over the bread - I believe it has to do with the steam.

Another culprit can be the temperature. Was it fully up to temp in the center of the loaf?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

It happens sometimes. It can help to add slight amounts of extra gluten or diastatic malt powder. Another solution is keeping air moving over the bread - I believe it has to do with the steam.

Another culprit can be the temperature. Was it fully up to temp in the center of the loaf?

It was cooked through, very consistent crumb. I'll try a fan next time. Thanks.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I made some more bread this week

Japanese Style Coconut Custard Buns - uses the tangzhong method and comes out amazing.

KAF Kaiser Rolls - I replaced the AP flour with bread flour and it took me entirely way too long to realize I had to add more water. The dough is really stiff but they came out perfect for the pulled pork we're having this week.

The only downside is both recipes only make 6 each :downs:

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Does anyone have any good flatbread recipes that I can cook on a stovetop? My oven is busted right now.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Plus_Infinity posted:

Does anyone have any good flatbread recipes that I can cook on a stovetop? My oven is busted right now.

My favourite stove top recipe is paratha, super easy to make, super delicious, I put cumin seeds in mine.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'd like to give a no-knead a try, what is the recommended recipe?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Le0 posted:

See the OP. 500g flour, 1/4 tsp yeast, 1tsp salt, approximately 325ml water. Mix, cover with oiled film. Wait 12+ hours. Knock back and shape. Proof. Bake.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Le0 posted:

I've had good luck with the KA recipe that I posted about HERE and HERE.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

therattle posted:

See the OP. 500g flour, 1/4 tsp yeast, 1tsp salt, approximately 325ml water. Mix, cover with oiled film. Wait 12+ hours. Knock back and shape. Proof. Bake.

Ok I made the mix and its currently sitting.
Do you do it like in the serious eats article, 12h+ on the counter then 3-5 days in the fridge?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Le0 posted:

Ok I made the mix and its currently sitting.
Do you do it like in the serious eats article, 12h+ on the counter then 3-5 days in the fridge?

You can but I tend not to unless I can't shape and bake. I imagine you'll get better flavour but it's really not needed.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Okay, so basically you just do the 12h on the counter then bake?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Le0 posted:

Okay, so basically you just do the 12h on the counter then bake?

Counter for 12+ hours, shape, second rise (2hrs? Depends on temperature), then bake.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

I love you, HH. :allears:

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
I made bagels

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Woof! Woof! posted:

I made bagels

Nice. How'd you get the toppings to stick so well? Were they boiled with malt or honey?

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Nice. How'd you get the toppings to stick so well? Were they boiled with malt or honey?

Boiled with honey but i want to try malt now that I've done them a few times.

I just take them out of the boil and drop them immediately into the topping, they seem to stick no problem.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

therattle posted:

Counter for 12+ hours, shape, second rise (2hrs? Depends on temperature), then bake.

I gave it a try! I let it in the fridge for 7 days tho because I did not have time to bake it earlier, I was a bit worried but overall I'd say it was very good just maybe a touch over fermented taste for me. My GF didn't mind tho and found it delicious!
I'll definitely put it in my banneton next time I think.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
So I've got a no knead dough sitting in my fridge. I mixed it, covered the bowl with cling and let it sit on my countertop for 12-14 hours, then into the fridge where it's been for a couple days.

I'm slightly worried because it has a dried layer of dough on the top. What's the best way of dealing with this? Is it a total loss?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

angor posted:

So I've got a no knead dough sitting in my fridge. I mixed it, covered the bowl with cling and let it sit on my countertop for 12-14 hours, then into the fridge where it's been for a couple days.

I'm slightly worried because it has a dried layer of dough on the top. What's the best way of dealing with this? Is it a total loss?

Either try moisten the dried dough to soften it, or remove and discard. I keep my dough covered with oiled cling film to prevent this.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I've got a wild yeast starter going. It has been healthy for 3 weeks, and I've made a couple decent loaves from it with no additional yeast. I want to store it in the fridge eventually, something like this. Is it ready to go into the refrigerator now or should I keep feeding it 2x a day for awhile longer? When I put it in the fridge, should I keep the room-temp culture going as a backup or is that unnecessary?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

therattle posted:

Either try moisten the dried dough to soften it, or remove and discard. I keep my dough covered with oiled cling film to prevent this.

I was afraid of that. I didn't even think to use oiled cling for this. I'll surgically remove it tomorrow before bench proofing. Thanks!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I cut off the dry portion (which was sadly about 1/4 of the loaf), shaped it, proofed it for 2.5hrs, and baked it in a hot dutch oven. 15 min covered, 20 min uncovered. Let it rest overnight.

Loaf:

Crumb:

Overall, I'm pretty drat pleased with the way this turned out. Will definitely make more soon! Bit disappointed in the size (because I screwed it up) and my hole size/distribution, but other than that, a tasty loaf of bread.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

taqueso posted:

I've got a wild yeast starter going. It has been healthy for 3 weeks, and I've made a couple decent loaves from it with no additional yeast. I want to store it in the fridge eventually, something like this. Is it ready to go into the refrigerator now or should I keep feeding it 2x a day for awhile longer? When I put it in the fridge, should I keep the room-temp culture going as a backup or is that unnecessary?

If, when you feed the starter, it doubles in volume in about 3-4 hours at around 70F, it should be fine to go into the fridge. Feed it, let it double in size, and then put it in the fridge. When I feed my sourdough, I take out 3oz old starter and put in a clean sealable container, put in 3oz water, 3oz bread flour, combine, let rise until double, and throw it back into the fridge (if I'm not making anything).

It wouldn't hurt to keep a backup going (I know I did when getting my starter going), but it might turn out to be unnecessary if your starter is already healthy and active. If you don't get around to feeding your starter weekly, don't worry about it, it'll probably last (at slowly decreasing activity) for a few months, but I try to feed weekly.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
OK, attempt #2 at no-knead.

600g flour, 420g water, yeast, salt. Came out really, really well, but I wish the crumb was more open. How do I manage that?

12 hour room temp rise, 3 day rest in the fridge. Shaped it into a boule and bench proofed for 2.5 hours. Slashed the top and went into a screaming hot dutch oven covered for 30 min, open for 15min @ 230ºC.

The result:

Crumb:

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

angor posted:

OK, attempt #2 at no-knead.

600g flour, 420g water, yeast, salt. Came out really, really well, but I wish the crumb was more open. How do I manage that?

12 hour room temp rise, 3 day rest in the fridge. Shaped it into a boule and bench proofed for 2.5 hours. Slashed the top and went into a screaming hot dutch oven covered for 30 min, open for 15min @ 230ºC.

The result:

Crumb:

Three days is a little excessive. There's definitely diminishing returns on fermentation after, say, 12-16 hours. I'd lower your in fridge time which might give the yeast a little more oomph when you bake. Adding an additional 12 hours at room temperature means you're likely somewhat over-proofed.

NightConqueror fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 19, 2015

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

NightConqueror posted:

Three days is a little excessive. There's definitely diminishing returns on fermentation after, say, 12-16 hours. I'd lower your in fridge time which might give the yeast a little more oomph when you bake. Adding an additional 12 hours at room temperature means you're likely somewhat over-proofed.

I think for the next loaf I'm going to do the 10-12hr rise and skip the fridge altogether. Just shape, short rest (an hour?) and bake.

Just noticed that towards the end of the loaf the crumb opens up significantly. Comparison shot:

angor fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 20, 2015

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

angor posted:

I think for the next loaf I'm going to do the 10-12hr rise and skip the fridge altogether. Just shape, short rest (an hour?) and bake.

Just noticed that towards the end of the loaf the crumb opens up significantly. Comparison shot:

Unless you are very warm you'll need longer than an hour post shape. I usually give it at least two. Do the finger prod spring back test for proofing.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Sometime this week, I want to try to make dinner rolls for my family. My last attempt, using my mom's bread machine (and the recipe book that came with it) to combine and knead, didn't come out all that great because they were super dense. I was hoping maybe I could get some advice on technique and also recipe options to not make a fuckoff-huge batch. I really just want to make enough for one meal (4-5 adults, 2 kids) so that we don't risk having a ton leftovers that go bad because we couldn't eat them fast enough.

I already have KA bread flour and some active dry yeast (not the best option from what I've read of the thread but still usable, right?). A bunch of the recipes I found online were all "oh no, you don't need bread flour, all-purpose is fine".

Also I noticed in the OP it said not to eat your bread right out of the oven, to let it cool first. Does that mean if we want our rolls warm with our food, to cook them earlier, let them cool first, then warm them back up right before we eat?

E: bookmarking thread so I don't accidentally forget to come back in and check for replies :sweatdrop:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

taiyoko posted:

Sometime this week, I want to try to make dinner rolls for my family. My last attempt, using my mom's bread machine (and the recipe book that came with it) to combine and knead, didn't come out all that great because they were super dense. I was hoping maybe I could get some advice on technique and also recipe options to not make a fuckoff-huge batch. I really just want to make enough for one meal (4-5 adults, 2 kids) so that we don't risk having a ton leftovers that go bad because we couldn't eat them fast enough.

I already have KA bread flour and some active dry yeast (not the best option from what I've read of the thread but still usable, right?). A bunch of the recipes I found online were all "oh no, you don't need bread flour, all-purpose is fine".

Also I noticed in the OP it said not to eat your bread right out of the oven, to let it cool first. Does that mean if we want our rolls warm with our food, to cook them earlier, let them cool first, then warm them back up right before we eat?

E: bookmarking thread so I don't accidentally forget to come back in and check for replies :sweatdrop:

Bread flour is perfectly fine. So is active dry yeast. It's great to eat bread still warm from the oven - but not hit! Give them half an hour to cool. Maybe less for rolls.

If your rolls were dense then:
1: they weren't kneaded enough;
2. the dough was too dry;
3) the yeast is old;
4- you didn't give enough time to rise

Or some combination thereof. Yeast is easy to test. Hydration probably ok. So maybe not kneaded enough or proofed enough. How long did you give to rise after shaping?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Hmm...it's been a while, so I don't remember exactly, but that is probably the reason. I do remember being rushed because the machine cycle was taking longer than I expected. We keep the house at about 75 degrees Fahrenheit. If I also wanted to give hand-kneading a shot, how long before dinner should I start everything?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

taiyoko posted:

Hmm...it's been a while, so I don't remember exactly, but that is probably the reason. I do remember being rushed because the machine cycle was taking longer than I expected. We keep the house at about 75 degrees Fahrenheit. If I also wanted to give hand-kneading a shot, how long before dinner should I start everything?

Fifteen minutes to prepare and knead, up to two hours to ferment. Shape and another 1.5-2 hours to proof. 30 mins to bake, 30 to cool. Total about 4-5.5 hours. You probably don't need two hours fermenting and proofing at 75f.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
You would give it 1.5-2 hours for the second rise? I would have topped out at an hour max, especially at 75F but really ever. My second rise is pretty much always much shorter than my first.