Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Beaten unconscious and left in the snow with no help on the way is dead. Even if Batman did call an ambulance, they're probably still dead. Even if every one of them made it to a hospital, there's no way the hospitals are going to be able to handle that many seriously injured people coming in in such a short amount of time. Batman is a serial mass murderer.

When you leave the area then come back, the bodies are all gone. I figure there is a market for unconcious bad guy removal services that just contracts out to the city. Hell, if Bruce Wayne is as smart as he's supposed to be, he'd have started the company himself as an offshoot of Wayne Enterprises. The ones that have not had their arms broken and their knees crushed are given an icepack, an assortment of drugs and sent home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bad Guys in batman do not actually have skulls or brains. Their heads are made entirely of tender, punchable meat.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
In Absolution, disguises won't fool someone in the same outfit if you get too close to them. It makes sense that the police officers or patrolling an area would know each other, as would the staff of a hotel, but they're not as familiar with each other's staff even if they work next to each other.

But then it falls apart in a lot of cases. Some missions have you deal with a whole paramilitary group or cops from all throughout a major city. The scientists and guards in a research facility, or the guards and ushers at a courthouse, don't react to a new face if he's in a different outfit. The expert security team guarding the mansion in the tutorial, who always do thorough background checks on everyone who they let in, don't care about this gardener they've never seen. They can see right through riot gear or the outfit of a masked criminal even if you aren't doing anything weird.

If you ever disguise yourself as a specific person, it really falls apart. If you try impersonating the mansion's chef, they at least have a line where the head of the elite security team gets angry about not being informed of a new chef, before doing nothing about it. But the others are even worse. Steal the outfit of a guy's personal drug dealer, and you can walk right up to him. During a short recess in a courtroom, you can knock out the judge or the defendant, take their outfit, and finish the trial in one of their places.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Dr Christmas posted:

In Absolution, disguises won't fool someone in the same outfit if you get too close to them. It makes sense that the police officers or patrolling an area would know each other, as would the staff of a hotel, but they're not as familiar with each other's staff even if they work next to each other.

But then it falls apart in a lot of cases. Some missions have you deal with a whole paramilitary group or cops from all throughout a major city. The scientists and guards in a research facility, or the guards and ushers at a courthouse, don't react to a new face if he's in a different outfit. The expert security team guarding the mansion in the tutorial, who always do thorough background checks on everyone who they let in, don't care about this gardener they've never seen. They can see right through riot gear or the outfit of a masked criminal even if you aren't doing anything weird.

If you ever disguise yourself as a specific person, it really falls apart. If you try impersonating the mansion's chef, they at least have a line where the head of the elite security team gets angry about not being informed of a new chef, before doing nothing about it. But the others are even worse. Steal the outfit of a guy's personal drug dealer, and you can walk right up to him. During a short recess in a courtroom, you can knock out the judge or the defendant, take their outfit, and finish the trial in one of their places.

In the original games it was equally ridiculous that a bald aryan ubermensch with a barcode tattooed on the back of his head could flawlessly pass as a Japanese gangster or a Sikh guard by changing his clothes. The new disguise system was definitely tricky to get used to but combined with the ability to use Instinct to get some wiggle room I thought it worked out pretty well and made getting the unique disguises that let you more or less have free run of the the place (like the chef in the intro mission) that much more satisfying.

One PYF little thing in Absolution that I liked was that several missions had disguises that were based around blending into the environment rather than passing as other people, like one mission has a segment in a corn field where you're able to steal a scarecrow's clothes and avoid detection so long as you stand still in the field. Or another mission where you can pull a Scooby Doo and pose in a suit of armor and guards will pass you by.

And the upcoming Hitman sequel/reboot isn't even out yet but one little thing I love is that the trailer is continuing their running joke of Allan not doing his loving job.

Blood Money

Absolution

Hitman

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I like how the last one is on a screen filled to the brim with details already.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The devs tried so hard to make Absolution a cinematic experience that they lost track of what people liked about the series. The main flaws of this have been adressed in this thread, but there's also things like having dynamic music instead of a score by Jesper Kyd (who might have been busy with AssCreed at the time) and them dropping voice actors because they wanted to go the performance capture route. They didn't bring the guy who had voiced 47 since the first game back until the fans wouldn't stop complaining about it.

People also complained about the whole Instincts feature a lot before the game was released, but I think that was a good solution to make the game less reliant on you having to look at a mini-map every 30 seconds. They were already moving in that direction with Blood Money's picture-in-picture to draw attention to important events.

Sleeveless posted:

It's a pretty fun stealth-action game, most of the backlash was from fans of the original games who forgot that every other game in the series other than Blood Money was also full of linear action-oriented levels, had godawful/non-existent mid-level save systems, and had plenty of goofy ridiculous bullshit in them; Latex Titty Nuns are about on par with Bald Albino Clone In Bird Costume, Evil Circus Midget, Human Jabba The Hutt, and Offensive Caricature Of Black American Gangsters As Envisioned By Danish Video Game Designers.

I'm having trouble placing this one.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Absolution was a pretty good Splinter Cell game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

princecoo posted:

When you leave the area then come back, the bodies are all gone. I figure there is a market for unconcious bad guy removal services that just contracts out to the city. Hell, if Bruce Wayne is as smart as he's supposed to be, he'd have started the company himself as an offshoot of Wayne Enterprises. The ones that have not had their arms broken and their knees crushed are given an icepack, an assortment of drugs and sent home.

In Arkham Knight the very first guy you beat up in the game is later locked up at the police station with his arm in a cast.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

princecoo posted:

I figure there is a market for unconcious bad guy removal services that just contracts out to the city.
Please don't steal my Batman/Metal Gear Solid fanfic.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
DotA 2's Demon Eater cosmetic for Shadow Fiend makes him randomly burst out into evil, maniacal laughter, and it's great. :allears:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I want to go easy on the Arkham Knight spoilers, since it's been out for a whopping 36 hours, but it's already provided me with several opportunities to do my favorite little thing: interrupt people. Just a few hours in, and I've already been able to roll my eyes and interrupt long speeches from both the Riddler and the antagonist. I like listening to the speeches, but I love just Batmanning a bunch of people who thought they had you by the balls. I mean, come on. You're the goddamn Batman.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mierenneuker posted:

I'm having trouble placing this one.

Ivan Zilanovitch from Codename 47.

quote:

Probably the most vicious clown to ever feature in a freak show, he began his criminal career as a poor pickpocket on the streets of Moscow; however, his love for cards and drugs left him in utter ruin, with no way out except suicide.

As luck would have it, his jump off a bridge was mistimed and, instead of splattering his brains all over the road, Ivan crash-landed through the roof of a railway wagon, into a heap of props belonging to a traveling circus.

Amazed by the startling irony and seeing it as proof that he was immortal, Ivan decided to begin life anew by joining the circus as a daredevil clown, and then later gained control of the whole circus, which now serves as a front for his gun-trafficking business

The scarecrow in the monastery you use as a base in Silent Assaasin is wearing his clothes as an easter egg.

obsolete absolution
Oct 9, 2007
forgiveness is meaningless

muscles like this? posted:

In Arkham Knight the very first guy you beat up in the game is later locked up at the police station with his arm in a cast.

The best part about this is that you can actually attack him through the bars to stop his blathering.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That was great and I did it entirely by accident. Well, I tried to punch him but I wasn't expecting it to work.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
In Hitman Absolution's Contracts mode you challenge friends to beat your score+time killing specific characters in a map. I was playing the Chinese New Year map that's packed with civilians and police and my targets were 2 adjacent food vendors surrounded by potential witnesses. My friend's time and score were insane; I simply could not figure out how he killed them without being caught. I gave it one more go by whipping a gasoline can at the vendor. It hit the counter, slid onto the grill, cooked for a few seconds, then exploded while I made a gleeful escape.

So yeah I'd say it's worth playing and not worth listening to Hitman fans about what a good game is ever.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tiggum posted:

Batman is a serial mass murderer.

Next Batman game, it is revealed Lucius Fox is actually a criminal mastermind and simply coded Batman's detective vision to read "Unconscious" even if they were dead.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Sleeveless posted:

It's a pretty fun stealth-action game, most of the backlash was from fans of the original games who forgot that every other game in the series other than Blood Money was also full of linear action-oriented levels, had godawful/non-existent mid-level save systems, and had plenty of goofy ridiculous bullshit in them; Latex Titty Nuns are about on par with Bald Albino Clone In Bird Costume, Evil Circus Midget, Human Jabba The Hutt, and Offensive Caricature Of Black American Gangsters As Envisioned By Danish Video Game Designers.

It seems reasonable to me that people would be upset that the series effectively went backwards into linear, boring, restrictively action orientated type levels when Blood Money displayed the really interesting things that a Hitman game was capable of, why would you defend something based on mediocre installments that few people really care about more than a decade old? Lets be honest the Hitman series is otherwise not particularly good if we discount Blood Money, and parts of Contracts.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

khwarezm posted:

It seems reasonable to me that people would be upset that the series effectively went backwards into linear, boring, restrictively action orientated type levels when Blood Money displayed the really interesting things that a Hitman game was capable of, why would you defend something based on mediocre installments that few people really care about more than a decade old? Lets be honest the Hitman series is otherwise not particularly good if we discount Blood Money, and parts of Contracts.

Welcome to the "PYF little things in games" thread. Here we post little things in games that we like. It's a safe place for people to talk about games and the little things they like in the games. It's okay that you do not like this particular game or series of games, but if someone else does that's okay too. There are probably other threads to talk about all the things you don't like about games. A game that you do not enjoy can have parts that other people enjoy, and this is the correct place for them to talk about those things. Even objectively bad games can have little things to enjoy. I appreciate your contribution to the larger discussion, but it seems to me that it does not further the discussion of little things that are peoples favorites, and in fact appears to denigrate a fellow goon's taste and experience. This is an example of a post that contains a favorite thing from a video game (as is this thread's stated purpose):

In LISA: The Painful RPG, if you walk your character (Brad) off a ledge that is over two Brads tall, he will fall on his face and the party will take damage. The low end of the damage is 10, and at level 6 or so you have over a thousand hit points. I feel bad for Brad, but not so bad that I won't walk him over a ledge and faceplant into the dirt to save a few seconds.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Sorry for discussing things.

In Metal Gear Revengeance I like it when I cut guys in half and cool music plays.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

khwarezm posted:

In Metal Gear Revengeance I like it when I cut guys in half and cool music plays.

This times infinity. Rules of Nature rules: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTQIogLBFBs

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Revengeance has some of the best boss fights I can remember, they're cleverly designed, instead of being basically a regular enemy with more health they force you to understand the nuances of the combat system for you to really exploit their weaknesses and not get killed, for example Monsoon's extremely quick attacks force you to get good at parrying, parry-countering one of Mistral's moves lets you get frankly ludicrous amounts of damage off and Sundowner and Armstrong require a lot of finesse from blade mode. Combine that with the loving amazing soundtrack and insane visuals and you got something special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-rj8HVW3PQ

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The best Batman thing is you can grab something from the police evidence room and when you're walking out you hear a cop say "I'm not gonna try to stop him."

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Grandmother of Five posted:

was Origins really buggy on release on some systems or something? people seem mad about it & consider it way worse than Asylum and City, but it played the exact same when i got around to it. or maybe it is some comic nerd thing? figured Knight is the exact same + more enemy types since that's all that's changed in the other installments.

I played well after release and while it was obviously a notch or two below Asylum/City I thought it was still pretty good. Didn't run into any bugs that were big enough for me to remember. The plot was a laughable case of "hijacked by The Joker" but that was the case for City and I'm assuming Knight too.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Joker is handled fantastically in Arkham Knight and this is coming from someone who hates the character. If you can go into the game as blind as you can, it does play with their relationship really well without taking center stage.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Destiny is doing an exclusive tie-in promo with Red Bull:

In response, Dying Light announced their own exclusive beverage promo:

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

Destiny is doing an exclusive tie-in promo with Red Bull:

In response, Dying Light announced their own exclusive beverage promo:

Ha, that's cool. I can appreciate that.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Yah that is pretty drat funny.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I am really enjoying Fantasy Life. One of my favorite little things so far is that if you choose to skip the tutorial for a given profession, the person giving it to you calls you out on it. It's adorable.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

khwarezm posted:

Revengeance has some of the best boss fights I can remember, they're cleverly designed, instead of being basically a regular enemy with more health they force you to understand the nuances of the combat system for you to really exploit their weaknesses and not get killed, for example Monsoon's extremely quick attacks force you to get good at parrying, parry-countering one of Mistral's moves lets you get frankly ludicrous amounts of damage off and Sundowner and Armstrong require a lot of finesse from blade mode. Combine that with the loving amazing soundtrack and insane visuals and you got something special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-rj8HVW3PQ

Man Revengeance is so good. I tried to hop right into Devil May Cry 4 after it, but it didn't have near the speed or fluidity, and I had a hard time. I can tell it's a great game though; I need to give it another go.

The Moon Monster posted:

(re: Arkham Origins)

I played well after release and while it was obviously a notch or two below Asylum/City I thought it was still pretty good. Didn't run into any bugs that were big enough for me to remember. The plot was a laughable case of "hijacked by The Joker" but that was the case for City and I'm assuming Knight too.

Origins, for me, had a big glitch. I don't know know if it's fixed even now; but one of the radio towers you had to take out had a glitch where you could not leave the room after hacking it. You'd just hang on the vent lip forever. The only way to do it and continue the game was to exploit an even weirder glitch where you'd crouch and jostle yourself in a corner until Batman flew 150 up in the air and out of there. Still love the game. Even if the story sucked, I think the character executions of the story was the best in all 3 games, and the boss fights were the most interesting.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

Welcome to the "PYF little things in games" thread. Here we post little things in games that we like. It's a safe place for people to talk about games and the little things they like in the games. It's okay that you do not like this particular game or series of games, but if someone else does that's okay too. There are probably other threads to talk about all the things you don't like about games. A game that you do not enjoy can have parts that other people enjoy, and this is the correct place for them to talk about those things. Even objectively bad games can have little things to enjoy. I appreciate your contribution to the larger discussion, but it seems to me that it does not further the discussion of little things that are peoples favorites, and in fact appears to denigrate a fellow goon's taste and experience. This is an example of a post that contains a favorite thing from a video game (as is this thread's stated purpose):

it's almost like he was responding to someone else's post

pulp rag posted:

Is Absolution a good game? I've heard almost nothing about it. I know it's a bit late for the Steam sales, but if it's pretty decent, I'd be willing to drop some cash on it.

Also, I've never played any other Hitman game, if that's anything.

:bravo:

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Sorry for the derail, all.

For some content to atone for my sins:

In Skullgirls, I love how the UI in the game is perfect for fighting games. I hope the features brought forth are put into every fighting game to release from now on. You got stuff like holding down pause for 2 seconds to actually pause, causing mid-match mashing to not accidentally DQ you from a tourney. Then there's the universal button-check at character select, meaning you don't have to back out into a menu and scroll, you just hit a button to activate and hit the buttons. And, to top it off, now there are icons when an attack hits high or low and you didn't block properly, meaning there's no confusion as to what you got hit by.

Here's to hoping Capcom puts even half of this stuff into SF5 :allears:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
NOT A HERO takes place over the course of (most of) a month, with the level select screen being the protagonist's office. Each level/day that passes, his potted plant grows a bit more, and his calendar has another box marked off.

But less obviously (to me at least) is the fact that his white board behind his desk gets more smudges around it, because he updates the countdown. By the end, the whole thing is basically a foggy blue from the constant erasing. :3:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Mine was a jerky post coming off of a jerky work day. I don't like being a jerk, but I do love me some Double Dragon Neon. There's a podcast (VGMpire) that's about video game music, and they're most recent episode is about Double Dragon. It points out that a lot of the songs for special moves and stances (which only play in the menu you select them from, as far as I know) are parodies or homages to hits from the 80s. I wish I had a better breakdown of the songs and what they are referencing, but I'll have to settle with the killer ending theme. I don't know if it's been posted before in this thread, but it's perfect and the song has been running through my head all morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJNDP_HTFp4

Apparently, if you pause the game during the first fight against Skullmegeddon he'll give you hints like "If you attack me while I have my sword raised, I'll stop my attack. There, I saved you a trip to the internet," but I couldn't find a clip.

Also from DD:Neon is the hairpick weapon. It's a pink hairpick that you can throw at enemies, and instead of doing damage it just sticks in their hair. There's an achievement for throwing it Skullmegeddon. Just a nice little addition.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sociopastry posted:

I am really enjoying Fantasy Life. One of my favorite little things so far is that if you choose to skip the tutorial for a given profession, the person giving it to you calls you out on it. It's adorable.

Man, I loved this. Not only do they just call you out on it, there's unique dialogue for each of them, basically saying "Oh, of course, there's no need to take this - but here, let me introduce you to this person". It's just fits in so well, it's not like you skip it and it fades to black then 'skips' the tutorial

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

pulp rag posted:

Sorry for the derail, all.

For some content to atone for my sins:

In Skullgirls, I love how the UI in the game is perfect for fighting games. I hope the features brought forth are put into every fighting game to release from now on. You got stuff like holding down pause for 2 seconds to actually pause, causing mid-match mashing to not accidentally DQ you from a tourney. Then there's the universal button-check at character select, meaning you don't have to back out into a menu and scroll, you just hit a button to activate and hit the buttons. And, to top it off, now there are icons when an attack hits high or low and you didn't block properly, meaning there's no confusion as to what you got hit by.

Here's to hoping Capcom puts even half of this stuff into SF5 :allears:

Just play XRD.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
In FTL, the premise is that you're holding vital information to deliver to a Federation fleet fighting a losing war against a Rebel insurrection. You have to make it to the fleet 8 sectors away, all the while fighting the Rebels, pirates, slavers, hostile aliens, and dealing with civilians along the way through random interactions. Usually the game will give you special options in dialog based on what weapons or equipment you happen to have.

On my last run, I came across a pirate harassing a civilian colony. The usual options are to fight the pirate ship or leave the area, but I had a Fire Beam on my ship, which gave me an option to show the pirates how it's done by burning the colonists' crops down. I thought it was pretty funny that was an option, given your mission.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Big Grunty Secret posted:

On my last run, I came across a pirate harassing a civilian colony. The usual options are to fight the pirate ship or leave the area, but I had a Fire Beam on my ship, which gave me an option to show the pirates how it's done by burning the colonists' crops down. I thought it was pretty funny that was an option, given your mission.

You can also get an event where you see Rebel ships delivering supplies to a colony that's been cut off by the war. You can either attack the Rebel ships directly or wait for them to leave before attacking the colony (at which point the colonists will point out that maybe the Rebellion has the right idea). Or you can just leave, but there's no reward for that... :devil:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Well yeah. You're the Federation. The Empire is always the bad guy.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
In light of the number of times I've been hosed right the gently caress over for trying to help someone out in that game, I've decided those colonists can go choke on their laser-roasted yams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

It's a nice take on FTL to think that you're working for the enemy. I've always wondered just how important the information you're ferrying is, and just how big the rebel forces are. Maybe you're supporting the last days of a dictator's regime, and considering that your ship (picked presumably because it's fast and can out run the enemy force) is the weapon used against the rebel flagship, maybe the best option would be to surrender and turn coat.