Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

If the story turns out to be about Eliezarry battling with the dark side of his personality and struggling to become a better person, I think I may actually like it, even if Eliezarry reverts to being a pompous prat from time to time.

One of the many elements of the great bait-and-switch that is HPMOR, where early on it goes through seeming like several potential good stories, admittedly with their own sets of flaws, before it turns into an entirely different story with much more bizarre flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Tiggum posted:

He's not concerned for himself though, he's worried for some reason that a cheap novelty item sold openly in public might actually have the power to fundamentally alter reality in catastrophic ways in order to cause surprising events to happen. In this case, he believes that by drinking the comed-tea he made Dumbledore insane, that if he hadn't drank it then Dumbledore's speech would have been completely unremarkable.

It's still dumb, but it's not just that he's worried about embarrassing himself.

So he's worried he made Dumbledore insane by consuming said cheap novelty item after a sample size of one. And after everyone present agreed that Dumbledore's speech was entirely unsurprising. And after avowing to himself that 'he was going to test it experimentally', he declines to test it again at the next opportunity?

Clearly an inquisitive scientific mind, uniquely suited to take over the magical world investigate the magical world through logic and reason.

:eng99:

Moving on to something worth talking about, John Stapp was an amazing human being and should be remembered for his pioneering work on developing safe harnesses and ejection seats. And formulating the wording of Murphy's law we know so well. And for strapping himself on a rocket sled going over 600mph in the name of science. A great writeup here: http://www.ejectionsite.com/stapp.htm. Now with fixed hyperlink!

Best quote:

quote:

When after many months the results of all Stapp's work was presented to the Aero Med Lab brass, they were horrified. Surprisingly, the words "court martial" were never mentioned, perhaps because Stapp had shown such courage. His initiative however was another matter entirely. To reign him in, Stapp was promoted to the rank of major, reminded of the 18 G limit of human survivability, and told to discontinue tests above that level. And he was told in no uncertain terms that human tests had to end. Chimpanzees, his superiors advised, would be acceptable substitutes.

Stapp then proceeded to build a bigger and better rocket sled and strap himself into it.

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 16, 2015

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
If it helps, what he wanted to do isn't an experiment since there were absolutely no controls. Taking a step back and taking another approach is the wisest thing to do here. Not that that what he's going to do either.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hey i81icu812, the full stop you put on the end of the link messes it up. You might want to edit that as it's going to catch out people who don't notice the extraneous '.'

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 12: Impulse Control
Part 7

quote:

"Additionally, I must tell you that this year, the third-floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a very painful death. It is guarded by an elaborate series of dangerous and potentially lethal traps, and you cannot possibly get past all of them, especially if you are only in your first year."

Harry was numb at this point.

"And finally, I extend my greatest thanks to Quirinus Quirrell for heroically agreeing to undertake the position of Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor at Hogwarts." Dumbledore's gaze moved searchingly across the students. "I hope all students will extend Professor Quirrell that utmost courtesy and tolerance which is due his extraordinary service to you and this school, and that you will not pester us with any niggling complaints about him, unless you want to try doing his job."

What was that about?

"I now yield the floor to our new faculty member Professor Quirrell, who would like to say a few words."

The young, thin, nervous man who Harry had first met in the Leaky Cauldron slowly made his way up to the podium, glancing fearfully around in all directions. Harry caught a glimpse of the back of his head, and it looked like Professor Quirrell might already be going bald, despite his seeming youth.

"Wonder what's wrong with him," whispered the older-looking student sitting next to Harry. Similar hushed comments were being exchanged elsewhere along the table.

Professor Quirrell made his way up to the podium and stood there, blinking. "Ah..." he said. "Ah..." Then his courage seemed to fail him utterly, and he stood there in silence, occasionally twitching.

"Oh, great," whispered the older student, "looks like another long year in Defence class -"

"Salutations, my young apprentices," Professor Quirrell said in a dry, confident tone. "We all know that Hogwarts tends to suffer a certain misfortune in its selections for this position, and no doubt many of you are already wondering what doom shall befall me this year. I assure you, that doom is not to be my incompetence." He smiled thinly. "Believe it or not, I have long wished to someday try my hand as the Professor of Defence Against the Dark Arts here at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The first to teach this class was Salazar Slytherin himself, and as late as the fourteenth century it was traditional for the greatest fighting wizards of every persuasion to try their hands at teaching here. Past Professors of Defence have included not just the legendary wandering hero Harold Shea but also the quote undying unquote Baba Yaga, yes, I see some of you are still shuddering at the sound of her name even though she's been dead for six hundred years. That must have been an interesting time to attend Hogwarts, don't you think?"

Harry was swallowing hard, trying to suppress the sudden surge of emotion that had overcome him when Professor Quirrell had begun speaking. The precise tones reminded him very much of a lecturer at Oxford, and it was starting to hit home that Harry wasn't going to see his home or his Mum or his Dad until Christmas.

Eliezarry sudden transition from a Master of Science and Rationality / Future Dark Lord into a “normal” child that defers to authority and gets homesick is rather disconcerting. Is this part of the magic of Hogwarts too?

quote:

"You are accustomed to the Defence position being filled by incompetents, scoundrels, and the unlucky. To anyone with a sense of history, it bears another reputation entirely. Not everyone who teaches here has been the best, but the best have all taught at Hogwarts. In such august company, and after so much time anticipating this day, I would be ashamed to set myself any standard lower than perfection. And so I do intend that every one of you will always remember this year as the best Defence class that you have ever had. What you learn this year will forever serve as your firm foundation in the arts of Defence, no matter who your teachers before and after."

Professor Quirrell's expression grew serious. "We have a great deal of lost ground to make up and not much time to cover it. Therefore I intend to depart from Hogwarts teaching conventions in a number of respects, as well as introducing some optional after-school activities." He paused. "If that is not sufficient, perhaps I can find new ways to motivate you. You are my long-awaited students, and you will do your very best in my long-awaited Defence class. I would add some sort of dreadful threat, like 'Otherwise you will suffer horribly', but that would be so cliched, don't you think? I pride myself on being more imaginative than that. Thank you."

Then the vigour and confidence seemed to drain away from Professor Quirrell. His mouth gaped open as if he had suddenly found himself facing an unexpected audience, and he turned with a convulsive jerk and shuffled back to his seat, hunched over as if he was about to collapse in on himself and implode.

"He seems a little odd," whispered Harry.

"Meh," said the older-looking student. "You ain't seen nothin'."

Dumbledore resumed the podium.

"And now," said Dumbledore, "before we go to bed, let us sing the school song! Everyone pick their favourite tune and favourite words, and off we go!"

A pretty unobjectionable chapter, all told.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
In 88 days we've gone through 12 chapters out of 122 total chapters. At this rate we can look forward to completion on Oct 30, 2017.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

i81icu812 posted:

In 88 days we've gone through 12 chapters out of 122 total chapters. At this rate we can look forward to completion on Oct 30, 2017.

Still faster than Big Yud wrote the loving thing.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
If there's one glimmer of hope in the sea of wrong-thinking idiocy, it's that at least Dumbledore being goofy is kinda funny.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The bit about the third floor is actually good parody, because it makes you rethink the original work.

But wasted potential etc.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Did Big Yud kidnap JWKS and upload his brain into an AI? :ohdear:

While we're waiting, more odd Harry Potter fanfic:

http://archiveofourown.org/series/149352

Harry is now Harriet! Because she's a girl, she's able to recruit all kinds of new original characters. They range from good to tokens to silly. Also, this story has a more teenage bent so there's a lot more sex and social issues brought up. Such as the main character's love of Nancy Drew books leading to her being a 14 year old bisexual with a bondage fetish.

Granted, this is probably the most steady and respectful depiction of a 13 year old girl with a bondage fetish I've ever seen...

please don't arrest me

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Man, if you're going to go with terrible harry potter fic, you should go with another ultra-'intelligent' author-insert character whose thinly veiled egotism and disregard for the rights of others shows him to be - despite his insistence of his personal moral superiority - the true villain.

Indrazar
Sep 19, 2011

That fan fiction has nearly as many words as HPMOR (~600,000) and it's only on year 4. At this rate it will be 50% longer than the entire Harry Potter series.

Indrazar fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 5, 2015

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 13: Asking the Wrong Questions
Part 1

quote:

Elen sila J. K. Rowling omentielvo.

”Elen sila lumenn omentielvo” is "A star shines on the hour of our meeting" in Middle Earth Elvish. “Lumenn” means “hour”, so “Elen sila J. K. Rowling omentielvo” means “A star shines on the J. K. Rowling of our meeting”, which doesn’t make sense at all.

quote:

EDIT: Don't panic. I solemnly swear that there is a logical, foreshadowed, canon-compliant explanation for everything which happens in this chapter. It's a puzzle, you're supposed to try to solve it, and if not, just read the next chapter.

"That's one of the most obvious riddles I've ever heard."

As soon as Harry opened his eyes in the Ravenclaw first-year boys' dormitory, on the morning of his first full day at Hogwarts, he knew something was wrong.

It was quiet.

Too quiet.

Oh, right... There was a Quietus Charm on his bed's headboard, controlled by a small slider bar, which was the only reason it was ever possible for anyone to go to sleep in Ravenclaw.

Harry sat up and looked around, expecting to see others rising for the day -

The dorm, empty.

The beds, rumpled and unmade.

The sun, coming in at a rather high angle.

His Quieter turned all the way up to maximum.

And his mechanical alarm clock was still running, but the alarm was turned off.

He'd been allowed to sleep until 9:52 AM, apparently. Despite his best efforts to synchronize his 26-hour sleep cycle to his arrival at Hogwarts, he hadn't gotten to sleep last night until around 1AM. He'd been planning to wake up at 7:00AM with the other students, he could stand being a little sleep-deprived his first day so long as he got some sort of magical fix before tomorrow. But now he'd missed breakfast. And his very first class at Hogwarts, in Herbology, had started one hour and twenty-two minutes ago.

The anger was slowly, slowly wakening in him. Oh, what a nice little prank. Turn off his alarm. Turn up the Quieter. And let Mr. Bigshot Harry Potter miss his first class, and be blamed for being a heavy sleeper.
When Harry found out who'd done this...

No, this could only have been done with the cooperation of all twelve other boys in the Ravenclaw dorm. All of them would have seen his sleeping form. All of them had let him sleep through breakfast.

The anger drained away, replaced by confusion and a horribly wounded feeling. They'd liked him. He'd thought. Last night, he'd thought they liked him. Why...

Why is Eliezarry so sure they like him? For reference, this was Eliezarry’s opinion on his housemates during the dinner after the Sorting ceremony:

Are you sure this is the Ravenclaw table? Harry managed not to ask out loud…

… Note to self: The 75th percentile of Hogwarts students a.k.a. Ravenclaw House is not the world's most exclusive program for gifted children.

After an entire evening in Harry’s company, his housemates must have managed to detect Harry’s contempt for them, and reacted accordingly.

quote:

As Harry stepped out of the bed, he saw a piece of paper facing out from his headboard.

The paper said,

My fellow Ravenclaws,

It's been an extra long day. Please let me sleep in and don't worry about my missing breakfast. I haven't forgotten about my first class.

Yours,
Harry Potter.

And Harry stood there, frozen, ice water beginning to trickle through his veins.

The paper was in his own handwriting, in his own mechanical pencil.

And he didn't remember writing it.

And... Harry squinted at the piece of paper. And unless he was imagining it, the words "I haven't forgotten" were written in a different style, as if he was trying to tell himself something...?

Had he known he was going to be Obliviated? Had he stayed up late, committed some sort of crime or covert activity, and then... but he didn't know the Obliviate spell... had someone else... what...

Harrymento!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hey guys! Do you love stories where nothing of consequence occurs and the protagonist learns no lessons from his misdaventures!?

Then whoah nelly have we got something for you!

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

SSNeoman posted:

Hey guys! Do you love stories where nothing of consequence occurs and the protagonist learns no lessons from his misdaventures!?

Then whoah nelly have we got something for you!

hpmor.txt

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

When I was first introduced to this... thing, I enjoyed it for what I thought it was, a parody that poked fun at genre tropes and didn't at all take itself seriously. This was when it was about 30-40% finished. As time went on and he kept posting more chapters, my perception of it slowly transformed until the point of me hatereading through the end just because I wanted to finish what I started and see if the payoff was at all worth all the lovely build up. It wasn't.

The thing is, I've read a lot of mediocre to lovely fanfiction, and I hate this even worse than those. A lot of the poo poo is unabashedly proud of itself for what it is, and the author isn't afraid to just vomit garbage onto the internet and reap the rewards of a legion of preteen wankers who enjoy the stuff. Yud is a different story though, he takes himself super seriously and thinks his poo poo is a work of scientific masterpiece, and has whipped up a fanbase of frenzied lunatics who worship the ground he walks on. It's completely baffling that it's been as successful as it is, but here we are.

And the fact that it's terrible even for fanfiction is just ridiculous. Out of the probably thousands of pieces of fanfiction I've forced myself to read over the past decade, there is only a single one that actually stands on its own merits as a story, and that's more because it's not really fanfiction at all and is instead a completely original story where some of the protagonists share names with anime lesbians but bear no actual resemblance to said characters or setting or plot.

Basically gently caress fanfiction, and gently caress myself for still reading it sometimes.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

When I was first introduced to this... thing, I enjoyed it for what I thought it was, a parody that poked fun at genre tropes and didn't at all take itself seriously. This was when it was about 30-40% finished. As time went on and he kept posting more chapters, my perception of it slowly transformed until the point of me hatereading through the end just because I wanted to finish what I started and see if the payoff was at all worth all the lovely build up. It wasn't.

I think that's the same process most people go through when reading this piece of poo poo. I went into it expecting the same thing and just stopped reading at some point because it had finally gone too far up its own rear end for me.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

And the fact that it's terrible even for fanfiction is just ridiculous. Out of the probably thousands of pieces of fanfiction I've forced myself to read over the past decade, there is only a single one that actually stands on its own merits as a story, and that's more because it's not really fanfiction at all and is instead a completely original story where some of the protagonists share names with anime lesbians but bear no actual resemblance to said characters or setting or plot.

Basically gently caress fanfiction, and gently caress myself for still reading it sometimes.

Allow me to show sympathy for doing the terrible task of occasionally reading something you don't want to read. Fanfiction addiction is a serious problem affecting tens of people throughout the world! :allears:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You laugh but there do seem to be a bunch of people who obsessively read lousy fanfiction just because it's there. I'm not sure if it's the price point being low or the fact that it's more of their Favorite Thing, but that's a story for another day really.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Zonekeeper posted:

I think that's the same process most people go through when reading this piece of poo poo. I went into it expecting the same thing and just stopped reading at some point because it had finally gone too far up its own rear end for me.

lol it basically reads like a kid fantasy story except instead of 8-16 year old children like normal harry potter the kid in question is 30 and thinks of himself as super-smart and manipulative when in fact he just comes across as a massive douche to everyone around him.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Nessus posted:

You laugh but there do seem to be a bunch of people who obsessively read lousy fanfiction just because it's there. I'm not sure if it's the price point being low or the fact that it's more of their Favorite Thing, but that's a story for another day really.

HPMOR is pretty high on the quality scale for fanfic, though that's saying so little you wouldn't need to move your lips.

I started reading EY's loving thing and I was determined I would finish it and find out what happened dammit (which is similar to how I approached the original HP books 5-7). And let me be another to assure everyone who hasn't finished HPMOR that the payoff is not worth it and the story should have been a third of the length at most to achieve adequacy.

I read nearly no fiction but fanfic and revel in the trashiness and that it's about my Favourite Thing (Worm in my case) even if it's mostly terrible writing with awesome-in-context you-had-to-be-there moments if you're a bit too into a given set of characters. But I can tell it's actually trash and I wouldn't recommend a word of it to anyone expecting them to give a poo poo. I mean, I have trouble honestly recommending the source material in good faith ("It's a 1.7 million word novel about, uh, superheroes, with pretty bad pacing, but it rocks, honest"). poo poo, I'll even admit I was turned onto Worm by EY's HPMOR author note.

But some people have a bit much of what Yvain LessWrong has neologised as Typical Mind Fallacy and seriously don't understand that just because something pushes all their nerd buttons doesn't automatically make it good for any other loving person. Instead, they get the opposite reaction: that this almost (but not quite) compellingly defective bloated sprawling monstrosity of a didactic Mary Sue epic is seriously what great literature actually is and the muggles must be educated as to its incandescent brilliance.

Expressly encouraged by the author and his performing circus ego. EY and his acolytes sincerely believe this is a Hugo-quality novel. Seriously.

In fact, EY has suggested to his fans that they spam the Hugo nominations for 2016, because organising a slate to shill the Hugos definitely made a lot of friends for other people in 2015 and is the best possible thing you could do to make yourself famous as a decent person with ethics and not a stupendous loving cockhead.

This of course is also true.

divabot fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 23, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, a Hugo-quality anything is an accolade that's getting redefined this year. Yud wouldn't be out of place there.
Shutting up now, okay.

edit: One rather weird thing about his Hugo appeal, though - he wants to get into contact with either Rowling or Daniel Radcliffe - what the hell has the actor have to do with book rights?
...Unless there's going to be a movie version.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 23, 2015

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

anilEhilated posted:

edit: One rather weird thing about his Hugo appeal, though - he wants to get into contact with either Rowling or Daniel Radcliffe - what the hell has the actor have to do with book rights?

Nobody loving knows. This is a question that has been asked repeatedly. But apparently EY knows someone whose hairdresser knows someone whose dealer thought about loving someone who once threw up on the steps of the theatre Radcliffe was working in the previous night, so it's ALL GOOD and PLANS ARE IN MOTION OH YES THEY ARE.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

divabot posted:

Nobody loving knows. This is a question that has been asked repeatedly. But apparently EY knows someone whose hairdresser knows someone whose dealer thought about loving someone who once threw up on the steps of the theatre Radcliffe was working in the previous night, so it's ALL GOOD and PLANS ARE IN MOTION OH YES THEY ARE.

Also in that note, a link to his facebook explaining why his brilliance makes him suited to be an angel investor and therefore people should give him 5 figures to invest on their behalf. He promises 20% returns!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

i81icu812 posted:

Also in that note, a link to his facebook explaining why his brilliance makes him suited to be an angel investor and therefore people should give him 5 figures to invest on their behalf. He promises 20% returns!

Well, it is true that the dude's track record of successful completion of projects speaks for itself. Just ask his fans! ("A recurring theme here seems to be 'grandiose plans, left unfinished'.")

edit: Just read that FB post. That's loving inane. "Google could not have become Google if the same people were executing on the idea from Pets.com." NO BECAUSE THEY WOULD HAVE PIVOTED TO AN ACTUALLY GOOD IDEA, THAT'S PART OF HOW THIS WORKS. Jesus gently caress. This guy seriously thinks he can outdo the likes of Paul Graham or Marc Andreesen. Who may be pricks, but have that thing called "an extensive track record of success at investment." This is a rambling justification for being an Ideas Man with an extensive track record of not executing.

edit 2: This is getting off-topic. To get back on-topic: to his credit, he did in fact finish HPMOR. And in the field of rambling bloated plot-deficient fanfics, this is genuinely an achievement. Even if the ending was crappy. So FULL MARKS and FF.NET GOLD to EY, and may he go on to finish some other plan one day hopefully.

divabot fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 24, 2015

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

A Hugo nomination, sure why not. Next years Hugo nominations are going to be a Train wreck already. One more Engine slamming into the carnage isn't going to make things significantly worse.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Oh boy, HPMOR. When I first read this, I had never heard of Eliezer Yudkowski, nor any of his ideas. I thought he was just some random fanfic writer. As a result, I went into it thinking the author had his tongue firmly planted in his cheek, and that it was going to be a parodic, snarky romp through Hogwarts poking well-meaning fun at some of the more inconsistent elements of the Harry Potter canon. It seemed to fit the bill at first... Harry's silly triple-barreled last name had to be a joke, right? He rambles on like a... well, not a scientist, real scientists usually don't talk like that... like a parody of a scientist, an alien and detached genius bent on lecturing everyone, like some magical bowl-cut Mr. Peabody. The prose staggered a bit, but it was above average for fan fiction, so hey, what's the worst that could happen?

Now, since I didn't know anything about Yudkowski, the self-insertion and rampant proselytizing didn't register at all, but the increasingly shaky science sure did. You could tell the author wanted to write Gödel, Escher, Potter without being nearly up to the task. But, okay, I'll keep reading. It's not like I got anything better to do on my breaks.

Oh boy, it gets weird. There are easily three or four thematically different plot ideas in this thing that could each be reasonably done by someone with a lesser ego and greater writing talent. As it stands, the story seems to try to do them all, and just lurches back and forth and getting increasingly weirder before settling on possibly the strangest of the lot. I would suspect Yudkowski of not really knowing where his story was going at first, and him just writing chapters on whatever took his fancy at the time, but his own words seem to contradict that. Either way, when I stopped reading it (chapter 90-95 somewhere?) the story was nothing like what we've seen in this thread so far...

Now that I do know about Yudkowski and his antics, upon re-reading it, it strikes me very differently from how it did back then, and not in a good way. The :eng99: is way more gratuitous and there's this really uncomfortable atmosphere surrounding the whole drat thing now.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 25, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I would suspect Yudkowski of not really knowing where his story was going at first, and him just writing chapters on whatever took his fancy at the time, but his own words seem to contradict that.
Yeah, easily the best part of the retrospective posted a bit above was Yud's "note to self: foreshadow less" bit. I guess he was aiming for an even less coherent plot?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, easily the best part of the retrospective posted a bit above was Yud's "note to self: foreshadow less" bit. I guess he was aiming for an even less coherent plot?

Hahahahaahahaha. It's actually the preceding authors note. Oh boy, but it is ever a dozy.

quote:

HPMOR initially went fast, with 365,000 words in 9 months while I was working on other things. My writing then slowed down enormously after Ch. 63. Looking back, I think I made the following mistakes:

The mistake of reading reviews, and letting the pleasure of reading reviews replace the intrinsic reward of writing good text.
The worse mistake of having tried to commit to a schedule for chapters, so that the more addicted readers would stop repeatedly hitting F5 in desperate hope. In retrospect, I think the timed updates were good for those readers, but really really bad for my hedonics.
Trying to upgrade the standards to which I held my writing; thinking of HPMOR as something that other people were holding to standards, rather than as a wacky fanfiction I was doing in my downtime.
Bogging down in all the foreshadowing that had to be fulfilled and the parentheses that needed closing, often involving plot points that I’d developed earlier at a more primitive level of literary skill.

The obvious lessons are that next time, I must:

Hold myself to a lower standard, somehow, even if many people are praising the work as Great Literature and my natural impulse is to try to live up to that.
Not commit to any schedule, just publish things as I feel comfortable with them. Torturing my readers with unpredictability, as much as I don’t enjoy inflicting that particular form of suffering, may be an unavoidable price of my being able to actually write.
Write to a more open-ended plot, where I can just take things where I want them to go; foreshadowing only hidden background facts that can be discovered at any time, not specific future events.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Does Yud actually do any significant foreshadowing? Or does he just think what he's doing will be foreshadowing and then never goes through on it?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Pavlov posted:

Does Yud actually do any significant foreshadowing? Or does he just think what he's doing will be foreshadowing and then never goes through on it?

Kinda? There is some stuff in the chapters we've seen here that could, in retrospect, be construed as foreshadowing specific events that occur much later, like chapters 100+. By that point the story has gone off the rails, though, so it's practically impossible to predict future plot twists based on any of it.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Eliezer Yudkowsky posted:

In retrospect, I think the timed updates were good for those readers, but really really bad for my hedonics.

HE CAN'T EVEN SAY "ENJOYMENT", HE HAS TO INVENT A NEW loving WORD FOR IT.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I think Harry being a copy of Voldemorte's consciousness is heavily foreshadowed, it's just done ineptly and so comes across as bad writing

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

divabot posted:

HE CAN'T EVEN SAY "ENJOYMENT", HE HAS TO INVENT A NEW loving WORD FOR IT.

Oh, it's worse than that, it's a misappropriated term from psychology. Man I wish we still had a LessWrong mock thread, I would be all over writing an effortpost about Big Yud's opinions on loving hedonics.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

SolTerrasa posted:

Oh, it's worse than that, it's a misappropriated term from psychology. Man I wish we still had a LessWrong mock thread, I would be all over writing an effortpost about Big Yud's opinions on loving hedonics.

Ahem, the proper term is "Utilitarian-American Vernacular English" you disgusting racists

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
So is this basically The Room of literature?

That is, you think it's a parody but it's actually an egotistical shitfest?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

thehomemaster posted:

So is this basically The Room of literature?

I just read The Disaster Artist, actually. Fantastic book, I recommend it to all of you; everyone's dealt with a fucker like this.

Apparently Wiseau did another thing. I shudder to contemplate.

thehomemaster posted:

That is, you think it's a parody but it's actually an egotistical shitfest?

It is an egotistical shitfest, but not that much more than any other epic-length rambling fanfic. (As I said, I read that stuff by the megaword.) The extra it brings to the table is:

1. It's explicitly intended to be didactic.
2. It manages to get its own didacticism wrong (per the su3su2u1 effort-Tumblr on the subject).
3. It was actually better when it tried to be didacticism - it was widely touted as "science applied to magic" and those bits were fun - but somewhere around twenty chapters in EY decided he liked the sound of his own voice even more than he already did, and suddenly it's about an Ender's Game rewrite, power negotiations, digressions that are literally the length of a normal novel, everything except science applied to magic.

divabot fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 27, 2015

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

divabot posted:

I just read The Disaster Artist, actually. Fantastic book, I recommend it to all of you; everyone's dealt with a fucker like this.

The story of Raphael Smadja and his Giggle Tent is worth the price of admission all on its own, folks. Don't miss it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

divabot posted:

Apparently Wiseau did another thing. I shudder to contemplate.
You really should; cherrypicking from the wiki article:

wikipedia posted:

*The A.V. Club noted that the production values and acting quality of The *Neighbors were far worse than those of The Room, and noted the unexplained presence of women in bikinis in several scenes. Wiseau responded to the criticism by saying that the women were meant to be symbolic of sexually liberated women.

*Several reviews noted that the black, Asian, and female characters tended to be characterized as racist and/or sexist stereotypes.

*Wiseau plays dual roles: Charlie, the main protagonist of the series, and (with a blonde wig) Ricky Rick, a petty criminal who serves as the series' primary antagonist. According to Wiseau, he decided to play both roles to show that he had range as an actor.

*On May 26, 2015, episodes five and six were released on Hulu. According to Wiseau, this was so the show would be eligible for the 67th Primetime Emmy Awards, which he submitted them for nomination for in six categories.
I'm paticularly fond of the sexually liberated sexist stereotypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

SolTerrasa posted:

If you're feeling that nostalgic we have PYF Dark Enlightenment Thinker, though EY gets points for being bright enough to explicitly disclaim these bozos (even though he knows the neoreactionaries socially).