Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Update from first attempt at Kongo game: Benin's fort being level 3 is some bullshit :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

IS there some reason that the AI can instantly diplo annex large swathes of territory? I just saw Muscovy "inherit" their vassal Circassia a few months after it got released as a brand new country from Crimea. I saw Sweden do the same thing with Novgorod earlier in the same game.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So the good news is that it's 1454 and I've somehow managed to pull this out of my rear end thanks to a couple of really lucky alliance breaks during a series of like 3 massive wars that involved a dozen nations:

That's a vassalized Oyo, a vassalized Benin, and my string of territories above them giving me access to claims on everyone around me.

The bad news is that all of those vassals hate me because I switched to Catholicism mid-war, I'm pretty much broke, there's already a small coalition forming against me thanks to my opportunistic land grabs, and my country is completely on fire. Should be fun :smithicide:

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

b0lt posted:

I've been playing an ironman game of Poland where I started out culture shifting to Prussian and joining the HRE, and it's been literally the easiest game of EU4 I've ever played. Not having Polish culture apparently turns off all of the bad events you can get, so you can let yourself get an Austrian king every single election and be permanent buddies with Austria, even if you choose to go Protestant/Reformed and Austria stays Catholic. The only situation I've been in that's been remotely scary was when the Jagiellons died out, and Lithuania broke free. Austria was enough to restore the personal union, but I got some massive aggressive expansion penalties from it, so I basically had to sit and wait for a while.

And then I formed Prussia :getin:

Does this still work with Common Sense? How does culture shift work now anyway? Is it based on development level by culture?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

:getin:.jpg

To bring down Lucky Ottomans it took Poland, Lithuania, Castile, Aragon, Naples and Austria, with a separate war from Hungary and France. Also my 10-stack sitting around sieging and hoping my allies didn't gently caress it up by a) starting wars in the Baltic b) standing around doing nothing c) suiciding into stacks that outnumber them 10:1 like the last 199 attempts. Now I just need to, uh, take Iberia and Caucasus. No problem.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Anyone manage to do a successful run as The Knights yet?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

VDay posted:

So the good news is that it's 1454 and I've somehow managed to pull this out of my rear end thanks to a couple of really lucky alliance breaks during a series of like 3 massive wars that involved a dozen nations:

That's a vassalized Oyo, a vassalized Benin, and my string of territories above them giving me access to claims on everyone around me.

The bad news is that all of those vassals hate me because I switched to Catholicism mid-war, I'm pretty much broke, there's already a small coalition forming against me thanks to my opportunistic land grabs, and my country is completely on fire. Should be fun :smithicide:

Nice work. You are certainly moving faster than my Loango run, but that has it's own aspects which are guaranteed to slow you down. What is the chief contributing factor to your vassals liberty desire? I am going to guess it is combined military strength. You ain't too big, and their combined strength is probably equal or greater than yours if they were to be independent. If so, cancel one of your vassals, either Loango or Ndongo. They won't get allies any time, due to their distance and Shamanism, and those vassals are not too useful in war anyway because they will just repeatedly walk into natives and get repelled. You can beat them up and conquer them easy at a later date. They live on scrub lands, so it will be cheap to core. For now focus on the Northward expanding. Anything that staves off an independence war is worth it, since you start out pretty weak and need to rely on vassals instead of good allies. Who knows, when independent one of them might get an event to fire which gives them a colony and cuts a tiny bit of work out for you as they make a colony. That happens for them, by the way, and might do for you, so be prepared for the cost that might come with it. It happens with or without exploration.

Also, vassals worth taking in the future for keeping around as attack dogs -
Songhai. Good NIs, which include a tech cost reduction which will keep them up with you, fort defense, infantry combat ability, morale, and finally discipline. If they get stomped somehow and end up weak, then even better because they have a hell of a lot of cores that you can reconquer. A great war vassal.

Air. Decent NIs, which give morale (more than Songhai), and quite a bit later they get two general stat boosting ideas (shock and manoeuvre). They don't tend to grow much because early game Songhai's NIs are better, and Yao tends to get big enough easily to box them in. A good vassal to keep around later game just for more good generals in battle. Kanem Bornu also gets a free land leader as a tradition, but the rest of their ideas are far worse, and their leaders will be weaker.

Give Benin a bit of land when you can, then annex them. That important centre of trade will be very useful this early on for the trade income. Dahomey looks nice this time of year, after all.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 24, 2015

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

aeglus posted:

Anyone manage to do a successful run as The Knights yet?

I tried it a little, it's easy enough to conquer Achaea + Athens with Venice's help but after that you're kinda stuck (and rebels are a problem). I guess you probably want to no CB Ragusa or some Italian OPM? Maybe ally Bosnia and steal some of Serbia's stuff?

Elman fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 24, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Another Person posted:

What is the chief contributing factor to your vassals liberty desire? I am going to guess it is combined military strength. You ain't too big, and their combined strength is probably equal or greater than yours if they were to be independent. If so, cancel one of your vassals, either Loango or Ndongo.

Yup this was a good call and I ended up doing just that, releasing Loango and annexing Ndongo real quick since it only took like a year and the reputation hit will end right around the time I can annex Benin.

After a couple of years my clusterfuck has actually turned out to be surprisingly stable, thanks in large part due to a really dumb war declaration by my idiot neighbor Dohaney and his two 2-province vassals. I managed to clean them up by just waiting until they split their armies, and then fed one of their provinces to Oyo and peaced the rest out for war reps and a bunch of prestige from claim reclamations, which let me placate Oyo some more so now they're pretty much fine (for a couple of years at least). My biggest problem while stabilizing was definitely the rebellions, but luckily I had given Benin and Oyo some land from Nupe that I conquered at the start of the whole thing, so the separatists that spawned crossed over and got in fights with them, which let me clean up the weakened stacks afterwards.

Also I got pretty lucky and got two stab events which let me bump my stability up from -1 to 1 and cut off a couple of rebellions that were at like 70%+. With the rebellions gone I also had just enough money to pay for a missionary, so I'm slowly converting my lands. Going to take a while, but I need a break anyway to save up admin and "rush" for tech 5 and the first idea so I can grab some provinces before the Europeans show up. All in all super loving happy with this start and if I can just grab Gold Coast and then make my way down to Cape I'll be in a pretty good spot.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I can never seem to keep the PU with Lithuania long enough to form the Commonwealth. (I switched back to normal from ironman until the patch comes out.) Most recently the Jagiellons died out and I got stuck with all the -tech speed events the Sejm could throw at me.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Knuc U Kinte posted:

IS there some reason that the AI can instantly diplo annex large swathes of territory? I just saw Muscovy "inherit" their vassal Circassia a few months after it got released as a brand new country from Crimea. I saw Sweden do the same thing with Novgorod earlier in the same game.

I thought the vassals started with no heir to the throne so maybe their ruler died early?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Direct Inheritance is a possible outcome from Personal Unions and/or Succession stuff. Basically instead of going into a PU (or a PU continuing on ruler death) they just annex/integrate for no diplo cost. It's not common and I'm pretty sure size is a huge factor in that, but it happens.

It can also happen to players - I pushed a Succession War on an HRE minor in my Commonwealth game last patch for shits and giggles (and to get the achievement) and then when my ruler died I ended up owning all their territory (which was annoying because ugly borders).

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
I remember Arumba accidentally inheriting one of his client states outright (I think in his Commonwealth run?), even though they were a vassal, not a PU. Does sound just like RNG weirdness, plus I think they get a boost to inheriting outright if they're lucky (which Muscovy certainly will be and Sweden may very well be)

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Inheritance happens sometimes for vassals but only if they're ruled by same dynasty as yours, install your relatives wherever possible with the button added in last patch/dlc.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 24, 2015

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Elman posted:

I tried it a little, it's easy enough to conquer Achaea + Athens with Venice's help but after that you're kinda stuck (and rebels are a problem). I guess you probably want to no CB Ragusa or some Italian OPM? Maybe ally Bosnia and steal some of Serbia's stuff?

Well, what do you know (Byzantium is my vassal):

I got lucky and allied Poland when their army was small after losing a war.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jackson Taus posted:

Direct Inheritance is a possible outcome from Personal Unions and/or Succession stuff. Basically instead of going into a PU (or a PU continuing on ruler death) they just annex/integrate for no diplo cost. It's not common and I'm pretty sure size is a huge factor in that, but it happens.
Yeah, in my most recent game as Austria I had managed the not at all difficult task of putting Hungary and Bohemia in a personal union under me, and was considering whether to start integrating either of them. Not long after my ruler died, and I inherited both at the same time. At that point the chance for inheriting either was at like 30% though, so not exactly super unlikely. Bohemia was pretty big though, since it had been happily fabricating claims on Poland, and I had happily conquered the land for them. Maybe diplomatic reputation helps too?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Jackson Taus posted:

It can also happen to players - I pushed a Succession War on an HRE minor in my Commonwealth game last patch for shits and giggles (and to get the achievement) and then when my ruler died I ended up owning all their territory (which was annoying because ugly borders).

I understand how pu's work, but these were normal vassal relations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Countries have a small chance to inherit any country they have an RM with. It happening twice in one game is weird but not that weird. The only difference between the player and AI there is that the player can't be inherited that way.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Sometimes (mostly with small vassals) the game decides to skip the whole junior partner phase of inheriting a country and gives you the land straight away fully cored. This happens mostly with vassals because they can only have a royal marriage with the overlord and I don't know if it is even possible for someone to contest a pu over a former vassal. You can test that by loading up a nation that has a vassal, rm'ing the vassal and then console killing their ruler over and over again. I messed around with that once and it took between ~3-5 monarch deaths until it fired for a small vassal like 1444 perm or yaroslavl. Too unlikely to be used in any way by the player but likely enough that a couple should happen every game, they're just really hard to notice.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey so I'm doing Baltic Crusader in a Ironman game. I have every province in the Russian Region cored and Catholic religion, and I haven't tag switched or culture shifted or anything like that. Am I missing something? Shouldn't it unlock?

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

Hey so I'm doing Baltic Crusader in a Ironman game. I have every province in the Russian Region cored and Catholic religion, and I haven't tag switched or culture shifted or anything like that. Am I missing something? Shouldn't it unlock?

Post a screenshot, you are probably missing one of those provinces like korela or ingil that are part of multiple regions and don't have the russian color in the region mapmode unless you enter the mapmode with a russian province selected..

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sorced posted:

Post a screenshot, you are probably missing one of those provinces like korela or ingil that are part of multiple regions and don't have the russian color in the region mapmode unless you enter the mapmode with a russian province selected..

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd love a mod that lets you change terrain type. For instance yeah netherlands were mostly swamp in the time period, but they converted them into "farmland" as time went on. If we can do insane impossibly unhistorical stuff like the Panama canal I wish we could dam and drain the dutch marshes.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Well, are you sure they are all your cores and that your savefile didn't deironman itself. Otherwise I have no idea.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Turns out a few of the provinces near the Caspian aren't part of Russian Region but counted for the achievement. I cored Yaik and some other province nearby and then it fired.

I have insanely bad military ideas compared to the Ottomans (they have higher discipline and morale), but I've been out-teching them all game and they also keep having people revolt out and massively cripple them during wars with me.

France and Swedish Scandinavia were huge threats for a while but they've been pushovers for like 50 years. I'm gonna conquer Scandinavia and go Protestant/Religious and conquer all of Europe I think. I'm already almost 2000 development.

Turns out Baltic Crusader is pretty easy if Poland and Lithuania never ally. Keep kicking Novgorod, Muscovy, Lithuania, and Poland down as much as you possibly can and they'll never get up.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

VDay posted:

Update from first attempt at Kongo game: Benin's fort being level 3 is some bullshit :colbert:

Are you going to westernize off a South America colony? I tried a Kongo game right after Trade Companies and got annoyed when I found out I busted my game by not getting into position by going there and quit.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Arzakon posted:

Are you going to westernize off a South America colony? I tried a Kongo game right after Trade Companies and got annoyed when I found out I busted my game by not getting into position by going there and quit.

That's the way to do it based on everything I've seen/read about the achievement, but it's my first time playing as Kongo so I'm not sure how all the timings work out. My plan right now is to sit until I unlock exploration, then go explore/find the Cape while colonizing Gold Coast. I'll swing by Brazil just to have eyes on it so that I can see when Portugal or Spain or whoever starts colonizing there and will hopefully be able to grab a spot next to them.

Like I said though I'm not too familiar with the region so I'm not super sure about the colonization timing and if I'll have time to do any of that or if I'm just going to hit tech 5 and then have to immediately bee-line for Brazil because the Europeans are already taking up most of the colonies.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Larry Parrish posted:

Turns out a few of the provinces near the Caspian aren't part of Russian Region but counted for the achievement. I cored Yaik and some other province nearby and then it fired.

I have insanely bad military ideas compared to the Ottomans (they have higher discipline and morale), but I've been out-teching them all game and they also keep having people revolt out and massively cripple them during wars with me.

France and Swedish Scandinavia were huge threats for a while but they've been pushovers for like 50 years. I'm gonna conquer Scandinavia and go Protestant/Religious and conquer all of Europe I think. I'm already almost 2000 development.

Turns out Baltic Crusader is pretty easy if Poland and Lithuania never ally. Keep kicking Novgorod, Muscovy, Lithuania, and Poland down as much as you possibly can and they'll never get up.

How is this even possible with the changes they made?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love a mod that lets you change terrain type. For instance yeah netherlands were mostly swamp in the time period, but they converted them into "farmland" as time went on. If we can do insane impossibly unhistorical stuff like the Panama canal I wish we could dam and drain the dutch marshes.
If we're talking about modifying the terrain, the first order of business would probably be to double the amount of forests in-game at the start, and then have higher levels of development turn those provinces into plains or farmland. As is, the forests of Europe are basically at their 19th century levels IIRC.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm amused that forests make development cost more. Because you know, people cut down forests for their wood. To develop things.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Muscovy is kind of a pushover or at least tends to collapse a lot more easily to Hordes and other neighbors. Him owning all the PLC land is more impressive to me cuz there's a solid 500+ development in there and it took me forever to conquer in my TO->Prussia game.

It's totally doable but I'd be pretty surprised if that screenshot is much before ~1700. He hasn't given us the date :v:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, they should have a base terrain, like the actual landform/climate, but leave further distinctions down to development level and maybe a building system. The difference between grassland and farmland is just the intensity of development. A flat forested area would become grassland then farmland over time with development.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

BabyFur Denny posted:

Does this still work with Common Sense? How does culture shift work now anyway? Is it based on development level by culture?

Yes, it works great with common sense. I have no idea what the formula is, but I think the requirement is still that provinces of the culture target outnumber the rest. I sold off my least developed Polish provinces to Mazovia, and I got the decision to shift right when I hit 1 less Polish province than Prussian.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

VDay posted:

Like I said though I'm not too familiar with the region so I'm not super sure about the colonization timing and if I'll have time to do any of that or if I'm just going to hit tech 5 and then have to immediately bee-line for Brazil because the Europeans are already taking up most of the colonies.

Yeah I am in the same boat and always hate when I'm trying to reach something then realize I was off 10 on my range and now have to wait for more tech to reach something. I figure warring and taking Portugese cores so you share probably isn't realistic.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Influence and Admin as your first two idea groups helped integrate fed LO / Galacia-Volhynia vassals while still chomping up land for myself. I was done in 1650. I even capped monarch points enough times to get Danzig to 60 development for the achievement. Western Tech has no issues expanding and maintaining tech unless you are going for a WC.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah in my TO->Prussia game keeping Poland in check early on was the only real challenge. Luckily TO can allying with pretty much everyone around them including France, so it was just a matter of waiting for Poland to declare a bad war and then dogpiling them. P-L are super strong, but they're not take on half of Europe in 1460 strong.

Also it makes me super sad to watch the AI fumble and bumble their way to forming Russia with Muscovy. It still happens most games, but they're so hilariously incompetent sometimes that it hurts. I watched Russia declare three wars in a row against Scandinavia in my last game. They ended up losing about a dozen northern provinces after it was all said and done. And the last war was even with Austria as an ally. What are you even doing AI Russia :psyduck:

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
poo poo! What do you do with the janissaries now as the Ottomans with the changes they have made? Is the only way to get rid of the decadence modifiers to disband them, or is there some hidden event down the road that will fix things?
I was enjoying being overpowered so much too :(

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Anyone know how to mod in CBs? I found the stuff in cb_types and wargoal_types, is there more I'm missing? I see the CB in my diplomacy screen, but when I try to declare war it's not there.

update: turns out I was missing a { in one of the text files, who would have thought.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 25, 2015

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

I'm amused that forests make development cost more. Because you know, people cut down forests for their wood. To develop things.
Yeah, that really only makes sense in a post-industrial society I think.

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, they should have a base terrain, like the actual landform/climate, but leave further distinctions down to development level and maybe a building system. The difference between grassland and farmland is just the intensity of development. A flat forested area would become grassland then farmland over time with development.
This would be cool, though there is the issue that provinces development doesn't necessarily tell us about the intensity of development, seeing as they vary wildly in size. That said, if you implemented my suggestion with potential development levels then you'd probably solve that issue, if you just defined the change from for example forest to grassland to farmland to be when I province reaches I don't know, 60% and 75% of its final development potential. Of course then I'd also like to see the forests actually disappearing on the map, having started out being a massive blanket over Europe and then slowly giving way to civilization over time.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I don't think terrain types changing dynamically would work right now, those are all loaded in when you first open the map, and to change them you'd have to reload it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

VDay posted:

That's the way to do it based on everything I've seen/read about the achievement, but it's my first time playing as Kongo so I'm not sure how all the timings work out. My plan right now is to sit until I unlock exploration, then go explore/find the Cape while colonizing Gold Coast. I'll swing by Brazil just to have eyes on it so that I can see when Portugal or Spain or whoever starts colonizing there and will hopefully be able to grab a spot next to them.

Common Sense seems to have a lot more colonisers. They also all beeline for Brazil, so you'll have Dutch, French, English, Casillian and Portuguese there pretty sharply.

• Locked thread