Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Well, for God's sake, don't do a confederate flag now - it's apparently more dangerous than both guns and mental health issues.

I didn't put it on there when it wasn't such a hot button issue, and I still wouldn't now. As much as I love that car as an iconic piece of TV history, that flag on top is a problem - and painting it on a mini would just cause problems. Right now it just looks like a generic creamsicle Knight. It will probably get fresh paint in another scheme altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I didn't put it on there when it wasn't such a hot button issue, and I still wouldn't now. As much as I love that car as an iconic piece of TV history, that flag on top is a problem - and painting it on a mini would just cause problems. Right now it just looks like a generic creamsicle Knight. It will probably get fresh paint in another scheme altogether.

Got any pictures of it?

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Interestingly enough the Confederate Flag is like a BIG thing in the UK Historical Miniatures scene. I saw a LOT of it around the tables at Salute.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Indolent Bastard posted:

Got any pictures of it?

So, this was my first airbrushed model, and I got a little fast and loose with the washes - which is why it's never seen the table. I was just not happy with how it came out. Don't judge me too harshly. My painting has improved tenfold over the last year, and I think I can do the model (and whatever theme I end up on for it's new paintjob) a lot more justice now than I could then. I incorporated the red and blue of the battle flag on the weapons.

A month or two later, I would airbrush and wash my Warhound Titan, which came out much better. Learning and improving every day...

Ghost Hand posted:

Interestingly enough the Confederate Flag is like a BIG thing in the UK Historical Miniatures scene. I saw a LOT of it around the tables at Salute.

I think if I was into historicals, and was putting a Confederate force on the table, I would feel a lot more comfortable about painting it. But on a cartoony Knight Titan - it just feels like bad taste.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Maybe because the Confederates were allied with England? Parliament had the bright idea of supporting the worse equipped side since if the South had won the states would be in a much weaker position.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 24, 2015

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Use the geometry of the flag but use imperial symbols instead.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Maybe because the Confederates were allied with England? Parliament had the bright idea of supporting the worse equipped side side if the South had has the states would be in a much weaker position.

Annoying the upstart cousin is a tried and true diplomatic tool.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Use the geometry of the flag but use imperial symbols instead.
I think it'd honestly just be best if the flag is avoided entirely. Sure, putting little skulls or aquilas in place of the stars might sound cute, but it's still awful.

I say this having seen the Confederate flag co-opted as a Canadian symbol of all things. Little, white maple leaves in place of the stars. :wtc: Calgary is the worst.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Maybe because the Confederates were allied with England?

Er, what. Britain remained neutral in the war and continued trading the entire time with both parties (their trade with the Union was far greater than with the Confederacy.. why buy cotton from slaveowners in the American South when you have all of India growing your cotton for you?)

British private interests did sell a couple warships to the Confederacy though, but the CSA's attempts to secure anything more than that from the British government were pretty much a failure.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Why is the confederate flag bad???

Explain to a limey plz

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Here's the Mystery Machine in the lightbox real quick, for comparison in quality. Clicks for huge.

Next to each other, the MM and General Lee look like they were painted by different people, and don't really fit together. That's why the Lee needs to be redone.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I think if you painted any flag that's predominately red with blue and white accents it would get the General Lee look across.

Moola posted:

Explain to a limey plz

Racist dude executed 9 people in a church because of white pride.

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 24, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Drake_263 posted:

I've gotten the picture that most Legion units aren't quite as customizable as 40K Marine squads, so the 'identical version' clause shouldn't be quite as much of a hindrance as it sounds like. Also perfect for loving around with a player who you know loves a certain kind of a unit.

The opposite is actually true. You tend to have more options, it's just that they are all very specialized. Tactical squads only have bolters, for example.

Ghost Hand posted:

It makes a lot of sense, actually. Things like that loose meaning across distance and culture. It's like playing playing a cool german themed army in Russia. People do it, but it can upset people because so many people died in that war. Contrast that to here where its no big deal because the war isn’t remembered in the same way.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I think if you painted any flag that's predominately red with blue and white accents it would get the General Lee look across.

Racist dude executed 9 people in a church because of white pride.

ohhhhhhhhhh

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Moola posted:

Explain to a limey plz

Read this

tl;dr

The "rebel flag" is a racist symbol for racists

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 24, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
As someone in D&D suggested, you should paint a union jack and rename it the General Sherman.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Safety Factor posted:

I think it'd honestly just be best if the flag is avoided entirely. Sure, putting little skulls or aquilas in place of the stars might sound cute, but it's still awful.

I say this having seen the Confederate flag co-opted as a Canadian symbol of all things. Little, white maple leaves in place of the stars. :wtc: Calgary is the worst.

Just use the actual Confederate flag. Thanks to typical American knowledge no one will recognize it and you could put on General Lee colors so the 1% will get a chuckle out of it.
@Moolah a lot of Americans in the south have mixed views about the Civil War (not sure it's English name). The flag shows up a lot in the hands of rough (often white) characters and a lot of Americans are really derogatory towards rednecks, so it sort of feeds on itself. Between southerners who want a symbol of their past and other Americans who love pointing it out and mocking it the whole thing gets all kinds of weird emotional attachments snarled around it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

Read this

tl;dr

The "rebel flag" is a racist symbol for racists

Fascinating, thank you

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Doctor Borris posted:

Just use the actual Confederate flag. Thanks to typical American knowledge no one will recognize it and you could put on General Lee colors so the 1% will get a chuckle out of it.
@Moolah a lot of Americans in the south have mixed views about the Civil War (not sure it's English name). The flag shows up a lot in the hands of rough (often white) characters and a lot of Americans are really derogatory towards rednecks, so it sort of feeds on itself. Between southerners who want a symbol of their past and other Americans who love pointing it out and mocking it the whole thing gets all kinds of weird emotional attachments snarled around it.

Some (white) southerners have "mixed views" because they lost the war and carry over the resentment of not being able to keep people as property. The flag's the symbol of a movement that (for the most part) was dedicated to preserving slavery. Southerners can identify with mint juleps and white linen suits and cotillion, if they want a link to their past. Identifying with the Confederate Flag as a symbol of your heritage is kind of like identifying with a klan hood "because grandpa owned it." In a historical context or environment, like a re-enactment or a wargame, I can see its value (just like a flag with a swastika) but not as a "proud symbol of your past." [/derail]

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Heres an idea

dont put any real world flags on your 40k minis because it never looks NOT stupid as gently caress

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Moola posted:

Heres an idea

dont put any real world flags on your 40k minis because it never looks NOT stupid as gently caress

99% agreed. (The other 1% is reserved for Tuxedo Jack's General Lee knight.)

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Maybe a pair of blue and red stripes down the middle of the model, with white line borders?

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Moola posted:

Heres an idea

Moolah as always you say such wisdom in just a sentence. I am in awe.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Moola posted:

Heres an idea

For serious, even my obviously-Red-Army Valhallans don't use straight up hammers and sickles everywhere. Big red stars, sure thing, since that's reminiscent, but I don't go pretending they're historicals.

As close as I'd get for the Confederate flag is maybe the red and blue fields and with a big white Aquila in the middle of it, since that's probably general enough without getting into borderline offensive territory.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Don't forget a banner underneath that says: "Haec Colores Non Fugiunt"

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
No make it say "RaHoWa".

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Look at all these WRONG opinions. God's own flag belongs on every space marine:

:911:

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I think if I was into historicals, and was putting a Confederate force on the table, I would feel a lot more comfortable about painting it. But on a cartoony Knight Titan - it just feels like bad taste.

I concur. I was just pointing out that it seems that there is a strange fascination with that period of American History in the UK historical gamers scene.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Leaked images of all the "crunch" pages from the new Dark Angels codex, courtesy of 4chan:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1629017533980465.1073741848.1527542590794627&type=3

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

SRM posted:

As close as I'd get for the Confederate flag is maybe the red and blue fields and with a big white Aquila in the middle of it, since that's probably general enough without getting into borderline offensive territory.

This is the way to play it. Maybe even just to the hatch on top in this red and blue scheme, without the stars, and leave it at that. People will get it, nobody will think you're racist, Scooby Doo and the Mystery Machine rocks btw.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

BULBASAUR posted:

Adeptus Libertas :911:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BULBASAUR posted:

I will take every opportunity to post this:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

http://youtu.be/4VXUDlcr0qI

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Reynold posted:

This is the way to play it. Maybe even just to the hatch on top in this red and blue scheme, without the stars, and leave it at that. People will get it, nobody will think you're racist, Scooby Doo and the Mystery Machine rocks btw.

At one point I had considered inverting the flag and dropping the stars, and just having that blue and red design over the hatch on top... But even then, in its limited ambiguous reference, I felt bad about it and couldn't bring the brush to the hatch. When I repaint it, I think I will lighten up the red and blue on the weapons, and make one of the shoulderpads half red and half blue with the white aquila on it. That diffuses the shape altogether and only keeps the colors, which I think is the only way to tastefully represent the car without referencing the battle flag.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Broken Record Talk posted:

Leaked images of all the "crunch" pages from the new Dark Angels codex, courtesy of 4chan:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1629017533980465.1073741848.1527542590794627&type=3

still lol that you can't take black knights or ravenwing command in a Lion's Blade Strike Force

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

still lol that you can't take black knights or ravenwing command in a Lion's Blade Strike Force
I think that they were left out as a legitimate attempt at balance. BS4 twin-linked plasma overwatch would make them unstoppable.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Safety Factor posted:

I think that they were left out as a legitimate attempt at balance. BS4 twin-linked plasma overwatch would make them unstoppable.

Would it be like having d3 auto hitting D weapons on overwatch?

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Doctor Borris posted:

Would it be like having d3 auto hitting D weapons on overwatch?

D weapons that cannot cause Instant Death.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Broken Record Talk posted:

D weapons that cannot cause Instant Death.

But still do 1+d3 wounds ignoring everything but invulnerable most of the time because you know, balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I've got no use for these. Anyone want em?

• Locked thread