Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MourningView posted:

There were like maybe 2 teams who would have actually taken him there, and even that is probably overestimating it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=nbamockdraft/070627

:colbert:

(just kidding with you.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I remember Minny desperately trying to unload the No. 2 pick because Derrick Williams sat in this weird spot where he was the clear consensus guy that everybody also hated. A really good capper to that Beasley, Thabeet, Turner run

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

euphronius posted:

They wouldn't trade just #3 for Marcus Smart, Kelly Olynyk, and No. 16. Forget Nerlens.

Now Nerlens Noel for Marcus Smart, Kelly Olynyk, No. 16 is interesting.

If by interesting, you mean a slightly different garbage fire.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

No prospect will ever have a better hype video than Jan Vesely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIqSWudJUVM

EvanTH posted:

Man I might miss the draft dangit

East coast bias. Draft at 4:00? How can I organize a draft party to watch whatever happens after the lottery?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

morestuff posted:

I remember Minny desperately trying to unload the No. 2 pick because Derrick Williams sat in this weird spot where he was the clear consensus guy that everybody also hated. A really good capper to that Beasley, Thabeet, Turner run

I was looking back at the 09 draft thread recently, and its kind of hilarious how many people were defending the Thabeet pick

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I didn't post in 2009 but I probably liked it because I was way into Hasheem Thabeet-DeJuan Blair college battles.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

MourningView posted:

Not even really due to bad drafting either. Bibby was pretty decent (in hindsight there are four or five guys from that draft you'd rather have but he was better than the guy who went first!) and the other two they got unlucky with. Francis decided he didn't want to play there and 2000 is the worst draft ever (the best player from it was probably Michael Redd and he didn't go until the 2nd round and had to totally change his game to make it in the pros)

Some trivia because I'm bored.

Who has the most WS from the 2000 Draft?

It's the lowest total WS for the best player from a draft since the 1973 draft when Caldwell Jones (who?) was the best player.

Though 1993 comes close. Any guess who had the most WS from that draft?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Glumslinger posted:

I was looking back at the 09 draft thread recently, and its kind of hilarious how many people were defending the Thabeet pick
He averaged 14/11 and over 4 blocks per game on 32mpg in college, was Big East DPOY two years in a row, and his school went to the F4. Maybe his flaws could be picked up in workouts and stuff but I couldn't tell there was anything wrong with him.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

And now Joey Dorsey is still in the league, and Oden isn't, and I can definitely picture Joey Dorsey stepping onto a basketball court and saying "I'm destroying the other team tonight."

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Some trivia because I'm bored.

Who has the most WS from the 2000 Draft?

I'm assuming either Hedo or maybe Mike Miller because advanced stats loved him for a bit and he's been around a long time. Redd was better than both but didn't play as long.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

MourningView posted:

I'm assuming either Hedo or maybe Mike Miller because advanced stats loved him for a bit and he's been around a long time. Redd was better than both but didn't play as long.

It's Hedo.

Such a bad draft

Yung Jacques
Oct 31, 2010

Fast Luck posted:

He averaged 14/11 and over 4 blocks per game on 32mpg in college, was Big East DPOY two years in a row, and his school went to the F4. Maybe his flaws could be picked up in workouts and stuff but I couldn't tell there was anything wrong with him.
His completely useless offensive game never got better even after three years in college and he was a complete stiff. He was one of the most predictable busts ever.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Please put trigger warnings around Hash**m Thab**t discussion. Thank you.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Yung Jacques posted:

His completely useless offensive game never got better even after three years in college and he was a complete stiff. He was one of the most predictable busts ever.
I don't think Thabeet was even in the same stratosphere as the Jan Vesely bust experience. That was a slow, inevitable freight train of bust waiting for whoever wanted to step in front of it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yung Jacques posted:

He was considered the best defensive player in the country, and he was huge. Since bigs are the most important part of a defense, it seemed like he could be pretty valuable, throw him into the paint and shut the area down. Plus he was a pretty solid rebounder.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Redgrendel2001 posted:

If by interesting, you mean a slightly different garbage fire.

I mean honestly, if we were talking the 6th pick maybe we are getting somewhere but 16 is just wayyy too far down to be relevant in this trade.

I like Smart and all but Kelly is just a bargaining chip. Number 3 is a really good spot this year with all the pressure to take Okafor/Towns in the first two picks; and since we do not currently (pray for Embiid) need a big man it's easy for us to either draft one of the pretty high ceiling points or take a risk with a high ceiling 7 foot phenom.

All things considered I won't be mad at any of the three people they predict at the third pick for philly. I just hope we don't reach for Hezonja or anything like that, and that we can trade some 2nd rounders and pick up RJ as well.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Yung Jacques posted:

I thought he was going to be good. I follow college alot more than pro, but every game i saw him play in college, and I admit it wasn't many, but he completely dominated. Blocked shots and dunks all the time is all I remember. He was just so big... which I guess gets canceled out in the NBA.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I legit thought Chicago was stupid for taking Rose over Beasley, speaking of dominating in college.

Yung Jacques
Oct 31, 2010
Thabeet was basically talked about the same way Cauley Stein is being talked about in this draft yet everybody somehow assumed that was worth a #2 pick. It was bewildering.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

No thank you

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I'm trying to think of non centers who move like Stanley Johnson moves. Like a stone man, like a deep sea diver, the only guy that comes easily to mind is Marcus Smart.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

morestuff posted:

No thank you

Why not give vonleh a chance instead

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

I legit thought Chicago was stupid for taking Rose over Beasley, speaking of dominating in college.

I'm pretty sure people here pushing for Rose were heavily in the minority (I was, but only because I was in love with Deron Williams at the time and Rose reminded me of him). Especially people who watched college. Beasley put up one of the best college seasons ever (even better than Durant) and was the presumed number 1 pick pretty much right up until Chicago won the lottery and made it clear they wanted the hometown guy.

Yung Jacques posted:

Thabeet was basically talked about the same way Cauley Stein is being talked about in this draft

Thabeet was bigger but no one was calling him the best athlete in the draft or a guy who could guard wings.

There were lots of people who didn't like Thabeet. I thought he was a safe pick with a low ceiling but a really high floor, and apparently even that was overrating him a lot. I thought he got overdrafted a little but I didn't see bust coming. I figured at worst he'd be something like Hibbert is now.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 24, 2015

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
I hope draft night is like a sequel to this year's trade deadline where the majority of teams realized that the status quo wasn't working out for them and make a bunch of crazy rear end moves to mix things up. That was cool & fun.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Looks like the Spurs might be trying to move up: https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/613761509756391424

I think whoever takes Porzingis is going to regret it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Metapod posted:

Why not give vonleh a chance instead

I assume/hope because of how specific that leak is that teams just after the Hornets want Kaminsky, and Charlotte is trying to drive up the price on their pick

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

There were lots of people who didn't like Thabeet. I thought he was a safe pick with a low ceiling but a really high floor, and apparently even that was overrating him a lot. I thought he got overdrafted a little but I didn't see bust coming. I figured at worst he'd be something like Hibbert is now.

Yeah I didn't really like Thabeet. But 2009 was supposed to be a pretty weak draft class after Griffin and Rubio, so I was saying a high floor pick whose skillset happens to be shotblocking isn't the worst thing in the world and arguably more attractive to some teams than busty combo guards

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

WhyteRyce posted:

Yeah I didn't really like Thabeet. But 2009 was supposed to be a pretty weak draft class after Griffin and Rubio, so I was saying a high floor pick whose skillset happens to be shotblocking isn't the worst thing in the world and arguably more attractive to some teams than busty combo guards

And hadn't he only played like 3 years of organized ball or something like that? So his rawness was looked at as a positive thing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

morestuff posted:

Ah the "Derrick Williams is worth more than just Pau Gasol" debates.

Yung Jacques
Oct 31, 2010

MourningView posted:

Thabeet was bigger but no one was calling him the best athlete in the draft or a guy who could guard wings.
Yeah that's the thing, he didn't even project to be as versatile a defender as Cauley Stein. He had a really high center of gravity and poor quickness. And yet he still went #2. He was never even going to be a Hibbert. Hibbert had way more offensive ability.

There's always a guy that people have to really delude talk themselves into accepting as a high draft pick, Porzingis seems to be it this year.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

And hadn't he only played like 3 years of organized ball or something like that? So his rawness was looked at as a positive thing.
People still do that all the time.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

So just over 24 hours until the draft...what's everybody's finals thoughts about what they want for their team?

For Philly, I think staying put at 3 and taking Russell is the easiest and smartest thing they can possibly do.

If Russ goes #2, I think they should grab Okafor and figure out how he fits in later. Buttttttttttttttttttttttt if they decided to trade down to 5 or 6 and take Henzoja, I wouldn't totally hate it.

What it all boils down to though, is that if D'Angelo Russell is on the board at #3, and there seems to be a very good chance that's the case, and the Sixers pass on him., I'm going to break things. If he goes #2 I can live with it, because there's nothing you can do. But passing on him would be a major, major mistake.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Yung Jacques posted:

And yet he still went #2. He was never even going to be a Hibbert. Hibbert had way more offensive ability.
They scored about the same with Thabeet putting up a higher field goal percentage and better rebounding numbers while being a year younger. Please explain yourself.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Nailed it.

Russell/Hezjona/Porzingis in that order

Trade back up to get Hunter

Russell
Hunter
Covington
Nerlens
Embiid (I think he's healthy)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

For the Hornets: wait and see if someone interesting like Hezonja, Porzingis, Mudiay falls; if not, work the phones hard to trade back; if the right deal doesn't show up, take Booker.

Do not draft Frank.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

aBagorn posted:

Trade back up to get Hunter

There was talk about Philly possibly moving up to #23 (Portland's pick). I think Justin Anderson or Hunter would be good choices there. Anderson should be there, Hunter is 50/50.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

They scored about the same with Thabeet putting up a higher field goal percentage and better rebounding numbers while being a year younger. Please explain yourself.

Hibbert played in a Princeton-esque offense therefore he's a passing dynamo??

Yung Jacques
Oct 31, 2010

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Thabeet just scored garbage points, Hibbert was actually a first option and was seen as a decently skilled low post scorer. Everyone who even liked Thabeet assumed he'd never be a good offensive player.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

morestuff posted:

For the Hornets: wait and see if someone interesting like Hezonja, Porzingis, Mudiay falls; if not, work the phones hard to trade back; if the right deal doesn't show up, take Booker.

Do not draft Frank.

If Stanley Johnson is available, OKC promises to send Charlotte both of Jeremy Lamb and Perry Jones +14 for 9. OKC gets a little cap relief and a two-way wing. Charlotte saves itself from Kaminsky, gets a talented player who needs a fresh start in Lamb & expiring young reclamation project in Jones, and can move down further with Boston, Spurs, whoever. Let's do it, forums trades rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The Lakers have given me little reason to not trust them in the draft. I hope for a center and someone who can shoot, and my heart would like Hollis-Jefferson at 27 but I don't think he will last that long.

• Locked thread