Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Space Cadets: Dice Duel is great fun but only plays up to 8. Panic on Wall Street goes to 11 I think?

yeah panic on wall street goes to 11. it's my go-to big party game, shouting at your friends is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Ojetor posted:

A friend wants to buy some party games and is asking me to recommend some. He wants games that play at least 8-10 people. I've already recommended he get Resistance and Ladies & Gentlemen. Anything else great I'm missing? Party games are not my forte.

Telestrations is awesome. But for some reason every group I have ever played with needs the rules spelled out multiple times before they "get" it.

(The rules, by the way, are are simple, few, and what to do next is literally printed on each booklet's page. I might be bad at explaining this particular game or something but I kinda blame an attitude of lol wut party game)

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Also Camel Cup supports a lot of people, 8 I think?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Stelas posted:

Someone asked me for advice and I wrote a bunch of words on running PBPs.
Dammit, this is making me want to run another PbP game.

Edit Not Eclipse, though, the overhead on that was pretty ridiculous.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Morpheus posted:

My box was missing the red minions and the Very Far Lands board...but I just contacted CGE about it and sent them my serial number, and I got the replacement bits a while later in the mail. I wouldn't worry about it.

That game was fun to open. But it's not something you can sleeve, there's just not enough space in the insert :smith:

I opened mine and I don't know the game so I don't know if I'm missing anything, I hope this will not be problematic re: getting replacement parts if I need them. Also, I sleeved all the cards and just got creative with storing them vOv.

Jedit posted:

It's eight minutes per player. It is pretty unsatisfying, though. Laukat's other game, The Ancient World, is much better, so don't treat his name as a poison brush.

I liked the first Eight Minute Empire, it seems to play faster and is alright filler. Small box is nice, also. But the main point is that The Ancient World is great and his art is fantastic.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

Mister Sinewave posted:

I kinda blame an attitude of lol wut party game

The worst case of this was when I bought my sister Pictomania recently. She was going to play it with her fiance and my parents. That means there were 4 college graduates present. I get a call from my dad: "How the heck do you play this game? There's like... 4 pages of rules! I thought this was like Pictionary!"

I don't think anyone even tried to read the rules at any point. I explained it via speakerphone from memory. They called back after twenty minutes: My sister's fiance was playing by not drawing at all, guessing on everyone's, then finally drawing. I re-explained that he should basically have a negative score if he does that and they didn't have to wait to guess on his, grab the bonus tokens and shut him out!

The next day: "We gave up trying to play. It was too hard to keep track of what order people guessed on your drawing." Like, I know I may not have specified that you place your guess cards in a stack, but I feel like common sense/checking the rulebook should have prevailed. Oh well. I'll have to teach it next time I visit... :doh:

SuperKlaus posted:

I need more Pictomania cards, stat. Does anyone have hope of an expansion? New content would be super easy to produce, I'd think.

Yes, this times a million. My usual group loves playing the harder two categories but it's tough when you run into the same cards and people remember someone else's clever way of drawing something. Although it shouldn't be too hard to proxy up your own cards.

Actually, my real expansion wish is having special 6-card sets that all cover similar categories... think of the confusion... :devil:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ETB posted:

Also Camel Cup supports a lot of people, 8 I think?

Yep. I believe Supercup increases it to ten.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

Dammit, this is making me want to run another PbP game.

The rough idea was to get as many people to think that as possible, yes.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, I'd love a pictomania expansion as well. I guess I could proxy poo poo with note cards, but where's the panache?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Stelas posted:

The rough idea was to get as many people to think that as possible, yes.

I'm starting to think about doing a Tragedy Looper PbP again, but I still have to figure out how to make it work and I'd want to go throw a handful of games with the same group.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I went out and got games, I decided to say gently caress it, and just got what I wanted to buy:

King Of Tokyo: I think this one will be a lot of fun, and I'm bring a small case to put all the little bits in

Love Letter: People seem to really enjoy this one, so I kind of just trusted Goons.

Tsuro This is one of those tile games, and it's simple with a lot of strategy

Resistance We have 5 people, so I'm hoping to get everyone drunk then try it out.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Some Numbers posted:

I'm starting to think about doing a Tragedy Looper PbP again, but I still have to figure out how to make it work and I'd want to go throw a handful of games with the same group.

I can hook you up with all the PSDs I made for the one I ran, although they were more designed for function (and mobile viewing) than they were to accurately represent the game. I'd make a new set if I gave enough of a gently caress.

Running TL as a PbP is pretty easy in some ways since the only secret player input is short enough that players only have to include their commands in the subject lines of their PMs. It's hard as gently caress in other ways, though, because
  • Protagonists get perfect information. This is technically solvable by editing prior status posts or simply making the game overall harder to compensate (as you would for when you'd allow players to take notes irl).
  • Time Spirals. The closest thing you can do is give the players exactly 24 hours to discuss things. I don't know if that's too long or too short. Also, what if the players arrive late to the Time Spiral for some reason? (Internet outage, mod posts an update at a weird time, etc)
  • It's tempting for the thread mod to be the Mastermind, but for fairness purposes it's probably not something I'd want to encourage in the long run.
  • I'd recommend that Masterminds only use original scripts and not the ones included in the game box or ones used before on the forums.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Man, I hate seeing someone quote a post of mine and only realize then that I made a typo.

You make some interesting points, but these two:

quote:

• It's tempting for the thread mod to be the Mastermind, but for fairness purposes it's probably not something I'd want to encourage in the long run.
  • I'd recommend that Masterminds only use original scripts and not the ones included in the game box or ones used before on the forums.
really stick out to me. I'd been thinking about trying my hand at writing some scripts anyway, so this could be pretty interesting. Having someone else be the Mastermind is also good, or at least having a neutral arbitrator to ensure that the Mastermind isn't cheating.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Some Numbers posted:

I want this so bad.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Mage Knight is able to play up to 5 right? I want to say i vaguely remember reading that you're able to since there's Wolfhawk and Krang. Does anybody know how that works if i'm not just pulling this rule out of my rear end? Also i might be getting to play this Saturday with 2 complete newbies and with 2 that haven't played in a long time so what would be the best scenario to play that isn't the tutorial one? I was thinking co-op since there's less pressure if everybody is working together.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Mage Knight is able to play up to 5 right? I want to say i vaguely remember reading that you're able to since there's Wolfhawk and Krang. Does anybody know how that works if i'm not just pulling this rule out of my rear end? Also i might be getting to play this Saturday with 2 complete newbies and with 2 that haven't played in a long time so what would be the best scenario to play that isn't the tutorial one? I was thinking co-op since there's less pressure if everybody is working together.

You should not play Mage knight with 5.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Malloreon posted:

You should not play Mage knight with 5.

Yeah the only winning move is not to play. But i mean is it technically allowed?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

You can play 5 competitive and 4 cooperative even without Krang. Adding Krang gives you an extra deck to play with, so you can probably add Volkare or a fifth cooperative player.

Lost Legion Rulebook posted:

With the fifth hero and a few added components, it is now possible to play with one more player (i.e. 5 player competitive and 4 player cooperative scenarios). However, the game will be slower and longer; take this into consideration beforehand.

If you want to give it a go, you can add one player to most scenarios introduced in the base game. Follow the standard rules for that scenario (do not forget to add one extra die to the Source and one extra Unit card to the Unit oƲ er for the new player).

Map tiles

If the number of map tiles for the scenario depends on the number of players, use the settings for the previous highest number of players, and for the additional player:

• Add 2 countryside tiles.
• Add 1 non-city Core tile.
• Add 1 city tile (except if the number of cities does not depend on the number of players). If you need 5 city tiles because of this, you have to use the Volkare’s Camp in Place of a City variant (see page 11).

Tactics in Cooperative Scenarios

When playing a four player cooperative scenario, do no not remove Tactics during the game even if the scenario says so.

It's still a bad idea, specially with new players, but go nuts.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Yeah the only winning move is not to play. But i mean is it technically allowed?

Technically yes, but if you start a five player game of Mage Knight on Saturday you won't finish it on Saturday.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
At least you could go play another game in between your turns, which will probably be at least half an hour apart.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

So anyone in Germany who wants to get Pictomania:

The revised edition is on sale for 13,5 € at https://www.spiele-offensive.de/Spiel/Pictomania-Revised-Edition-1011778.html

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Fat Samurai posted:

You can play 5 competitive and 4 cooperative even without Krang. Adding Krang gives you an extra deck to play with, so you can probably add Volkare or a fifth cooperative player.

It's still a bad idea, specially with new players, but go nuts.

So you're basically just cutting out the dummy player and letting the game go on longer? This wouldn't be so much a problem with just a 4 player co-op game. But with 5 i'm a little worried of

Jedit posted:

Technically yes, but if you start a five player game of Mage Knight on Saturday you won't finish it on Saturday.

That and i'm not entirely comfortable throwing my new players out into the deep end with a competitive game that is both a little beyond the scope of the original game and somthing i myself haven't done yet.

So maybe somebody will drop out and we can just play a no frills 4 player game, if not then it'd probably be easier to go with my backup of Mansions of Madness, at least that we all know how to play :v:

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Selecta84 posted:

The revised edition is on sale for 13,5 € at https://www.spiele-offensive.de/Spiel/Pictomania-Revised-Edition-1011778.html

This is definitely the wrong thread for this but why would they make the German slogan 'Cleveres Malen und Raten' when the German world 'schlau' is already better than trying to repurpose an English word into German :argh:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So maybe somebody will drop out and we can just play a no frills 4 player game

If you really want to show them Mage Knight then I would suggest going with this, but stepping back and going 'I'm not going to play, but I can help you all on your turn' / being the game moderator rather than a player. It'll help them immensely.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
I'm really tempted to run a PBP of Forbidden Stars. The action placement and resolution steps can be taken without intervention by a moderator; the only bits that would absolutely require moderator intervention are battles, so it should be possible for it to move at a decent clip.

It'd give me a chance to play this game (at least vicariously) which otherwise is just sitting in the corner gathering dust right now :(

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Selecta84 posted:

What's different in the Revised edition? The rules on BGG look the same to me.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

bobvonunheil posted:

This is definitely the wrong thread for this but why would they make the German slogan 'Cleveres Malen und Raten' when the German world 'schlau' is already better than trying to repurpose an English word into German :argh:

There is a never a wrong thread for grammar/language pedantry.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Stronghold games is publishing Friedmann Friese's 504. Expected to release in November, no Msrp yet

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Deathlove posted:

What's different in the Revised edition? The rules on BGG look the same to me.

I has higher quality components like sponges instead of rags and plastic card holders.

I think thats it, no new rules or anything like that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

burger time posted:

Stronghold games is publishing Friedmann Friese's 504. Expected to release in November, no Msrp yet

Want to play this pretty bad. Maybe not the pick up and deliver module though, I suck at those. ;)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

EvilChameleon posted:

I opened mine and I don't know the game so I don't know if I'm missing anything, I hope this will not be problematic re: getting replacement parts if I need them. Also, I sleeved all the cards and just got creative with storing them vOv.

There's an itemized list on the back of the box - I just went through each of the list items and made sure I had them before placing it in the box.

Also, if you aren't storing the cards in the little card slots...I don't even know. I guess you're a monster.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Some Numbers posted:

Man, I hate seeing someone quote a post of mine and only realize then that I made a typo.

You make some interesting points, but these two:

really stick out to me. I'd been thinking about trying my hand at writing some scripts anyway, so this could be pretty interesting. Having someone else be the Mastermind is also good, or at least having a neutral arbitrator to ensure that the Mastermind isn't cheating.

If you end up writing some scripts maybe post about it in the Board Game Design thread? I've written one that worked out pretty well (with some really minor adjustments) but it was an alternative for the starter scripts. It was a lot of fun though, even if in the end I probably made it a bit too hard.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Selecta84 posted:

I has higher quality components like sponges instead of rags and plastic card holders.

I think thats it, no new rules or anything like that.

Hmm, that's what I got when I preordered from Stronghold. Cool, great, good, thanks!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

burger time posted:

I'd like to hear what you think once it comes out. I'm really not interested in Box o' Mechanics - The Game, but I'm still interested in opinions on it.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Morpheus posted:

Also, if you aren't storing the cards in the little card slots...I don't even know. I guess you're a monster.

(Or Ghost)

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Morpheus posted:

I got most of them in there, but I put the player cards over with the player pieces. I dunno it works okay I guess.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Did a three player epic (i.e. full) game of Forge War. We already had a simple game under our belts. Took 4 hours, which was to be expected and went fine but we spent a bit of time here and there checking the rulebook for crap, especially at setup.

It's a neat game but in a 4 hour game with various phases and also a simultaneous play phase (the quest management) there's a lot of opportunity for little inefficiencies to snowball and eat up playtime. We made a little house rule where once you're done your quest management, put your token on top of the quest deck as a signal that you're done and ready to move on. Otherwise you run into "so... is everyone done?" "Huh? Oh yeah." because thinking and waiting kind of look the same. Worked well when the other players remembered to do it :v:

bobvonunheil posted:

I'm really tempted to run a PBP of Forbidden Stars.

I'd be up to give it a shot, I'm pretty curious about the game.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 25, 2015

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

In "Dominion Online demonstrates a mastery of technology" news, here's the mass e-mail they just sent out to keep everyone up to date on their technical progress:

Community managed.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
> Reply-to-all

unscribe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

bobvonunheil posted:

I'm really tempted to run a PBP of Forbidden Stars.

I have a large free table I could setup my copy on...let's roll, son :clint: