Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thumbtacks posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3b07gk/how_to_power_2_skills_with_1_dark_arts/

You can dark arts souleater and carve/spit at the same time with one dark arts. that's like 5-6k burst damage in one GCD.

warriors can fell cleave for over 11k and they don't have to abuse a latency bug to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

sword_man.gif posted:

warriors can fell cleave for over 11k and they don't have to abuse a latency bug to do it

Look, my DRK's 53.75, stop doing this to me, I have enough trouble not alting it up all the time as is

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I think everything is good minus people upset about BRD/MCH's 52 ability.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

37th Chamber posted:

FF14 doesn't use PlayOnline accounts, it uses your SquareEnix account.

Oh. That makes sense I was trying to log into FFXI. My frustration is mounting. Now I just rebought this game for PC because I don't trust customer service to ever let me link my accounts.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Minrad posted:

I think everything is good minus people upset about BRD/MCH's 52 ability.

My enthusiasm for Monk's stuff's dropped off a good bit after playing it in dungeons.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I just started with a trial account and have an archer at around 16, when should I start dabbling with other classes if I do get the full game and get past the level 20 cap?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

a cat on an apple posted:

Put a hotbar next to the party bar with Draw on it, if you're having trouble keeping track of its cooldown. You absolutely should be using it on cooldown unless you already have a good card in Spread and a specific Royal Road to pop your Spread at the beginning of an upcoming boss, and even then only because it can be hard to get a specific Royal Road again when you burn it.

Putting a hotbar next to the party bar is actually a really good idea and I'm not sure why I didn't think of it

The Arrow is easily the most-notable card, which has so much power it can kind of break rotations. Enhanced Arrow + Time Dilation can take someone from a 2.40 GCD to a ~2.00 GCD for 30 seconds. This is enormous. Ewer is great to use on yourself and sometimes DRKs - otherwise, it doesn't help much. Spire is great for melees during AoE rotations. The other three are a bit less visible in their power.

Yeah, The Arrow is really drat good, but so many of the others feel lackluster comparatively. Would it really kill them to make Bole and balance 20%? Or for Ewer and Spire to maybe also restore a bit of their respective resource immediately in addition to cost reduction? As is, anything other than Arrow feels frustrating.

Their MP costs for healing are hilariously low, and their most powerful healing skill (Essential Dignity) is instant cast AND has no cost. You should almost never run out of MP in extended fights unless either a) you are using Aspected Helios a lot and are in Noct Sect, which is a Very Bad Idea, or b) some dumb DPS dies and you Swiftcast-Ascend them (about a fifth of your max MP). While their Refresh skill is rather boring, it is undeniably strong and gets stronger at Level 48. If you remember to use it constantly in MP-intensive fights rather than waiting until you're out of MP THEN using it, you should be fine for much longer than the battle will ever last due to hard enrage timers, anyway. Failing that, you still have two options: Ewer will reduce your MP costs, which is a welcome edge when losing MP, and Spear will shorten the cooldown on Luminiferous Aether, if you line it up properly.

In short, an AST running out of MP has either been trying to add to the DPS with their wet noodle attacks, or is not using the tools available to them.

It's undeniable they are the least potent healer, but Nocturnal Sect does well for potent healing by nature of an instant-cast shield, lending significant burst healing when necessary.

I didn't have AST leveled up to 50 yet to do a direct comparison with my SCH and my WHM is only at level 34 (I'll work on it, the new stuff they got sounds fun and worth trying) and I forgot to compare when my AST was that level. I didn't realize their base MP costs were actually lower? If they're genuinely cheaper by a good chunk, then that would help on staying power. I still dunno how it would pan out in harder fights though, cause I remember WHMs bitching a lot about Refresh not being very good back pre-expansion, so unless they changed how it works?

Essential Dignity isn't really fair to use as a MP efficiency argument, it's a 60 second cooldown. It's a nice skill though, I'll agree.

You actually had them, it's just story bullshittery. I know this for a fact because I took off as AST without ever even doing the first quest, because I didn't notice it existed. I still had access to several cards for certain, probably all of them.

I actually meant the stuff like Royal Road and Spread. Also Draw being level 30 and getting locked out on a lot of low level dungeons. Let me use my gimmick, jerks!

Lightspeed is sort of your Surecast button. It's unhelpful as a Swiftcast button, because you should have Swiftcast anyway; however, by nature of being near-instant casts, you can not be interrupted while casting, including movement for any spell less than 3 seconds long. You can finish casting, say, Aspected Helios, while moving because it happens faster than the game decides you failed the cast because you moved. Due to the lowered potency, healing becomes extremely MP inefficient, so you should only use it when you need to absolutely guarantee two or more heals go off in quick succession. This should be a relatively rare scenario, if you're keeping on top of everything to begin with.

I'm well aware of the glory of being able to run and cast. Saved my rear end during a scary run of that Malboro guildhest. I just wish it had a lower cooldown, y'know? It's a lot of fun, but I feel it'd be more helpful with something like a 60 second cooldown where you can just pop it to throw down some spot heals while shuffling out of the way of some AoE without feeling bad about 'wasting' it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I just bought this after messing around with the free trial for a few days and at the suggestion of since friends who play. I'm currently level 11 outside of... Lomin-something, the place on the shore where Marauders start. Should I just continue following the breadcrumbs of quests to level myself? What about jobs and changing class, should I wait till It hit 50 before switching around? And what the hell do I do with all these crafting items in my bags? I've played WoW off and on for ten years so I'm not completely clueless at least..

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I just bought this after messing around with the free trial for a few days and at the suggestion of since friends who play. I'm currently level 11 outside of... Lomin-something, the place on the shore where Marauders start. Should I just continue following the breadcrumbs of quests to level myself? What about jobs and changing class, should I wait till It hit 50 before switching around?

Just keep following the breadcrumbs. The most important quests are the ones that have the different-looking quest icon (looks like a glowing meteor) - these are part of the Main Scenario Quest, and they unlock very important gameplay features such as dungeons. Class-wise, you will eventually be able to change into a job, which depends on (and scales with) a base class. For Marauder, their job is Warrior, and it improves their ability to tank dramatically. Before you can take the job, you'll have to get the Gladiator class up to level 15, which shouldn't take long. You can unlock Gladiator and other classes by visiting their headquarters. The Gladiator headquarters are located in the city of Ul'dah, which you'll be able to visit after completing the MSQ up to level 15.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I just bought this after messing around with the free trial for a few days and at the suggestion of since friends who play. I'm currently level 11 outside of... Lomin-something, the place on the shore where Marauders start. Should I just continue following the breadcrumbs of quests to level myself? What about jobs and changing class, should I wait till It hit 50 before switching around? And what the hell do I do with all these crafting items in my bags? I've played WoW off and on for ten years so I'm not completely clueless at least..

Follow the Main Story Quest and do side quests as you want. You unlock a lot of stuff through following the story, this includes the ability to sell stuff on the market boards.

You can access Jobs at 30, with your secondary class (Marauder's is Gladiator) at level 15. You can play other classes whenever you want.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Zerilan posted:

My enthusiasm for Monk's stuff's dropped off a good bit after playing it in dungeons.

I'm starting to come down after spending more time with them, can't really complain though as they all only add to the class and don't really gently caress anything up. The changes to shoulder tackle and demolish alone along side form shift + exilir field alone are huge.

My main problems are that meditating is really loving annoying to do all the time all for a single attack and tornado kick is so rarely worth it when form shift allows you to essentially maintain your stacks over a disengagement of 11 seconds, even when the break is long enough that you can't maintain stacks tornado kick only being 330 potency doesn't really contribute much to dps lossed in rebuilding your stacks.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

sword_man.gif posted:

I love it, but you know Fell Cleave is getting a nerf

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

:saddowns: I was going to pick Gladiator because sword and board is cool but I didn't want to be a tank in my first few days. Now it turns out the class with big axes is ALSO a tank. Does it really matter as far as damage output while leveling?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Sendo posted:

I'm starting to come down after spending more time with them, can't really complain though as they all only add to the class and don't really gently caress anything up. The changes to shoulder tackle and demolish alone along side form shift + exilir field alone are huge.

My main problems are that meditating is really loving annoying to do all the time all for a single attack and tornado kick is so rarely worth it when form shift allows you to essentially maintain your stacks over a disengagement of 11 seconds, even when the break is long enough that you can't maintain stacks tornado kick only being 330 potency doesn't really contribute much to dps lossed in rebuilding your stacks.

I think I'd like TK a lot more if it either had a lower cooldown, or if it also refunded one of the GL stacks.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

:saddowns: I was going to pick Gladiator because sword and board is cool but I didn't want to be a tank in my first few days. Now it turns out the class with big axes is ALSO a tank. Does it really matter as far as damage output while leveling?

Well, yes, but its not really a problem at all. Every class can complete the Story and everything.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Rei_ posted:

why would you say such hateful things

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Rei_ posted:

LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF MY LUDICROUS CRITS

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

randomly bumping into emmanellain after a certain event.

:catstare:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

sword_man.gif posted:

My favorite thing about this picture is they had just hit Infuriate, so they're about to do this again :allears:

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

mightygerm posted:

you have 5+1 ammo, and you want to spend them on 1 or 2 whenever possible There's several combinations that leave you only wasting 1 ammo on clean shot.

reload 12312 quick 1
quick 2 3 reload 12132

Thanks for the tips. The wording on the skills is really confusing as it implies you get an innate potency bonus like a melee combo for going 1-2-3 but it appears the bonus potency only applies to getting the random proc.

I really hope they fix this in the hotfix tonight. It really is a whole lot of nonsense how it plays out ATM and you still wind up far under SMN/BLM even if you do pull it off perfectly.

Calihan fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 25, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zerilan posted:

Yeah the monk stuff has felt pretty underwhelming so far. It's nice to do 3.5k crits with forbidden chakra every now and then.

I like how they pre-nerfed tornado kick fron 500(?) potency because it was apparently worth using in a rotation at that level. God forbid monks be given an option to take a risk mid fight and not just try to make sure to fire the skill a GCD or 2 before the boss leaves and they'd lose stacks anyways.

At least we get to Kamehameha enemies every 30 seconds.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Fem Au Ra should've been like... 30% taller, and they woulda been cool, even as dainty looking as they are.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Zerilan posted:

I think I'd like TK a lot more if it either had a lower cooldown, or if it also refunded one of the GL stacks.

In that case you could do TK > SP and be at two stacks, which would maybe be worth doing in a standing rotation?

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Cyron posted:

NIN is a class that seem like fun and fit's my lizard lady well, but I have no clue what it's like at 50+
Pretty much the same as before, currently at level 58 I play almost exactly as a month ago, the main differences are :
- Armor Crush which is a combo finisher like Aeolian edge (?) that gives 30 more seconds of Fuuton, so if you're quick enough between mobs you can have your infinite skill speed buff, and it opens new solutions to use your Ninjutsu (or basically ignore it if you're a lazy european like me)
- Duality which will doubles the numbers of hits of your next single target attack, but none of them can crit
- Aggro reducing skills for your pet/healer that will either reduce his enmity generation or draw it to a smoke clone
All in all, Armor crush is a deal changer if you use a lot of ninjutsu because you can do things like Raiton->Kassatsu->Trick Attack or chain Ninjutsu attacks on bosses while being on infinite GCD reduction
e: Also Armor Crush can deal a lot of damage if you're positionned correctly, so you won't miss much DPS

Zanael fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 25, 2015

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey what am I missing?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
So a friend of mine, who recently bought the game, is already at level 50 with Dragoon and still hasn't finished the ARR storyline. When I asked him why, he said that he's just going to wait until he buys Heavensward so he can just be level 56 or so (his words) by the time he starts the expansion. I keep telling him that he would be better off just doing the questline now so he doesn't have to wait, but he's being pretty stubborn about it. Is there anything I can say to convince him to at least finish the ARR storyline?

I mentioned the Hildebrand questlines, but he just said "I've already unlocked all the game mechanics I care about, I don't want to waste the EXP" like it was a junkie. It's weird b/c he's super-interested in the overall story but just straight-up refuses to touch anything until he can afford Heavensward. Admittedly he's leveling other classes with the 100% exp bonus in the meantime, but still.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

rock2much posted:

Hey what am I missing?

Tam Tara Hard Mode.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
your dumb friend is going to get like 1 level from all of 2.1-2.55

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

your dumb friend is going to get like 1 level from all of 2.1-2.55

That's what I thought but he kept going on and on about "Oh but I researched it!"

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sendo posted:

Tam Tara Hard Mode.

Thanks!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Sendo posted:

Tam Tara Hard Mode.

:getin:

(seriously make sure you watch all the cutscenes)

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

bhsman posted:

That's what I thought but he kept going on and on about "Oh but I researched it!"
I did the last set of 2.55 quests before starting Heavensward. I got ~4000 exp per quest, and it's 800k to go from 50 to 51. He might not even make it all the way to 51 before Steps of Faith.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:argh:

:cry:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I did the last set of 2.55 quests before starting Heavensward. I got ~4000 exp per quest, and it's 800k to go from 50 to 51. He might not even make it all the way to 51 before Steps of Faith.

I told him all this and he got in a huff about not wanting to do Castrum and Prae and having a group skip all the boss fights while he was in a cutscene, which admittedly has happened to two of our friends so far. Apparently cutscenes in a dungeon also "go against [his] ideal of a dungeon" :psyduck: He's the only one that's like this, of the Marlboro group I mentioned awhile back in the previous thread.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

bhsman posted:

I did this Friday and Saturday. I got about 700K XP from 2.1-2.55 in its entirety.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Malloreon posted:

I did this Friday and Saturday. I got about 700K XP from 2.1-2.55 in its entirety.

I'll tell him this as well. Hopefully he changes his mind and doesn't find a lovely group that wants to rush Castrum and Prae.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Anyone ever run into a situation where they consistently get a 90k2 error exactly 10 minutes after logging in? PS4 version if it matters.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

bhsman posted:

So a friend of mine, who recently bought the game, is already at level 50 with Dragoon and still hasn't finished the ARR storyline. When I asked him why, he said that he's just going to wait until he buys Heavensward so he can just be level 56 or so (his words) by the time he starts the expansion. I keep telling him that he would be better off just doing the questline now so he doesn't have to wait, but he's being pretty stubborn about it. Is there anything I can say to convince him to at least finish the ARR storyline?

I mentioned the Hildebrand questlines, but he just said "I've already unlocked all the game mechanics I care about, I don't want to waste the EXP" like it was a junkie. It's weird b/c he's super-interested in the overall story but just straight-up refuses to touch anything until he can afford Heavensward. Admittedly he's leveling other classes with the 100% exp bonus in the meantime, but still.

Tell him the exp won't go to waste cause you don't need to have Heavensward to level past 50.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

ActionZero posted:

Tell him the exp won't go to waste cause you don't need to have Heavensward to level past 50.

That's what I'm saying: He refuses to progress on the 2.0 storyline (he's around the level 46 quests IIRC) before buying Heavensward, and he already has a level 50 character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

VHGS posted:

In that case you could do TK > SP and be at two stacks, which would maybe be worth doing in a standing rotation?

Yeah, and I don't think there should be any problem with TK being usable in a standing rotation when it's only 330 potency on a 60sec CD as is.

• Locked thread