Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

CestMoi posted:

I recently remembered Ngugi wa Thiong'o's name for the first time so I'm feeling p[retty good about my contributions to helping continued victims of imperialism atm

A grain of wheat was great (i read the reworked version done after he became a marxist but it doesn't read like propaganda)

So far my fav of the black african lit is ahmadou korouma tho. Should read Mabanckou soon, wll keep u updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I have to admit pretty much all of the African lit I've read is from the 60's or 70's. Last book i was really into was Season of Migration to the North by Tayeb Salih who is from Sudan - enjoyed that one a lot. Would love some more current recommendations

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Burning Rain posted:

No, i meant Canopus in Argos series, which is actually six books as i just found out (with the full title of the first book being Re: Colonised Planet 5, Shikasta. Personal, psychological, historical documents relating to visit by Johor (George Sherban) Emissary (Grade 9) 87th of the Period of the Last Days)

But I've only read a bunch of her short stories, which was some powerful stuff, but now i'm basically paralysed with choice cuz her stuff is all quite different, and i'm not sure if i'm interested more in her Zimbabwe, feminist, dystopic or autobiographical writing

Canopus in Argos is okay; I read them all a few years back - they're good, but uneven. You really can't go wrong with any of Lessing's other directions, though: she owns. Had probably the best reaction ever to being told she'd won a Nobel Prize:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_qyvU6_7nE

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Read Things Fall Apart in high school and I don't remember anything but yams.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nanomashoes posted:

Ahaha

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Earwicker posted:

I have to admit pretty much all of the African lit I've read is from the 60's or 70's. Last book i was really into was Season of Migration to the North by Tayeb Salih who is from Sudan - enjoyed that one a lot. Would love some more current recommendations
Season of Migration to the North was awesome and I could not remember the title or author for a long time, thank you.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

The Radiance of the King by Camara Laye is very cool

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
Asked and answered, thanks. For the record posting an author does not mean I endorse their realness as an author. Too few people read any books so anyone reading anything is fine with me.

Earwicker posted:

its important that scifi authors like philip k dick and orson scott card be brought up in this thread because there are just so few other places in this forum where scifi gets any respect or can be discussed
I kind of like Card but I was bringing him up more to know how the op feels about a "mainstream" sci fi author. I'm not discussing either of those authors and I don't plan to in this thread.

wangvicous posted:

I think writing skill has to be a part of it. I just reread Fahrenheit 451. I felt the book was rather shallow and I wasn't particularly impressed with his actual writing.
I disagree with it being shallow but it's nowhere near my favorite work from him. His short fiction is beautifully written however in my opinion, The Illustrated Man collection especially.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 25, 2015

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

I disagree with it being shallow but it's nowhere near my favorite work from him. His short fiction is beautifully written however in my opinion, The Illustrated Man collection especially.

Dandelion Wine

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

I recently remembered Ngugi wa Thiong'o's name for the first time so I'm feeling p[retty good about my contributions to helping continued victims of imperialism atm

Petals of Blood is really good.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Nanomashoes posted:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Most mainstream postcolonial literature is crap which glorifies an easy retreat into traditional values.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

If we are talking African Lit, you can't go wrong with Dambudzo Marechera, who is criminally unheard of for how good / influential he was. He gets called "the African answer to Joyce," and even though I think that's way too reductive, it's not entirely unwarranted. House of Hunger is a really good read, is what I am trying to say.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Popular Human posted:

Canopus in Argos is okay; I read them all a few years back - they're good, but uneven. You really can't go wrong with any of Lessing's other directions, though: she owns. Had probably the best reaction ever to being told she'd won a Nobel Prize:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_qyvU6_7nE

Cool, thx!

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Lessing is great.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Besson posted:

Lessing is great.

But Moring is better

ohohohohohohohohohohohoho

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

Most mainstream postcolonial literature is crap which glorifies an easy retreat into traditional values.

What is some good postcolonial lit that doens't do this tia

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

CestMoi posted:

The God of Small Things

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

CestMoi posted:

i haven't ready any that does tbh

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Burning Rain posted:

i haven't ready any that does tbh

Once Were Warriors

I mean that's an archetype, but you do find something like that in most of the postcolonial works I've read, even if I've not hated all of the ones that did. I just don't care to read about identity as this thing from the past that needs to be recovered.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 25, 2015

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Shibawanko posted:

Once Were Warriors

yah, i haven't read or even heard about it. is this what you mean with mainstream?

just saw the edit. well, considering that the colonial nations and/or empires mostly tried to erase the national identities or construct them according to their own needs, it only makes sense to look back into the past to see what has been lost. glorifying it is another matter ofc, but i really can't remember any book i've read that did that. the ones i've read somewhat recently (rushdie, ngugi, achebe, adichie, naipaul, marquez, rulfo, amado, maalouf, cortazar) sometimes criticise the colonising powers and/or look for what's lost in the past, but i would argue that both of these things are v. important in postcolonial nations.

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 25, 2015

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

Once Were Warriors

I mean that's an archetype, but you do find something like that in most of the postcolonial works I've read, even if I've not hated all of the ones that did. I just don't care to read about identity as this thing from the past that needs to be recovered.

Unless you're actually someone in postcolonial times who is trying to find your way out of centuries/decades of harsh oppression, is it really fair to judge what their sense of identity should be?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Shibawanko posted:

. I just don't care to read about identity as this thing from the past that needs to be recovered.

So your problem with postcolonial literature is that you have no interest in the philosophical core of postcolonial literature

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hey guys can you recommend some actual good pastoral novels that are not about farms and nature I don't really care to read about that

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Looking if someone knows any picaresque novels that do not have any hilariously immoral main characters

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So your problem with postcolonial literature is that you have no interest in the philosophical core of postcolonial literature

I don't think the idea of returning to traditional values/culture/identity is really the "philosophical core" of postcolonial lit, in fact many postcolonial books go in the exact opposite direction and say that this is impossible, and that attempting to do so causes a lot of badness

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Earwicker posted:

I don't think the idea of returning to traditional values/culture/identity is really the "philosophical core" of postcolonial lit, in fact many postcolonial books go in the exact opposite direction and say that this is impossible, and that attempting to do so causes a lot of badness

Its not so much return I had an issue with as his specific use of recovered, which is why I quoted that post. The core focus of postcolonial literature is the event of colonization as a massive shift in the cultural identity of a people. The question is of who a people are before being colonized and how to recover what was lost. I don't think a lot of post-colonial lit explicitly states a people should return to who they were, mostly because, as you said, its impossible. But I do not think you could claim to find a single piece of post-colonial lit that doesn't concern itself with at least recovering the identity that was lost through colonization.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its not so much return I had an issue with as his specific use of recovered, which is why I quoted that post. The core focus of postcolonial literature is the event of colonization as a massive shift in the cultural identity of a people. The question is of who a people are before being colonized and how to recover what was lost. I don't think a lot of post-colonial lit explicitly states a people should return to who they were, mostly because, as you said, its impossible. But I do not think you could claim to find a single piece of post-colonial lit that doesn't concern itself with at least recovering the identity that was lost through colonization.

sure they all deal with the issue, but i think that poster was referring specifically to postcolonial books which actually advocate returning to a traditional identity, rather than just dealing with that issue and how it plays out on a personal or social level, or portraying the different competing forces in a postcolonial society who claim to be the bearers or protectors of such identities

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Honestly I just don't like it when authors (or anyone else) dwells too much on identity at all. Colonization is material, it's the subjugation of a society which itself was already oppressive by a stronger force for the extraction of labour and resources, usually with some racist ideology or other to justify it. There was nothing "before" it that was meaningfully different from that except a greater or lesser degree of exploitation. There was never a harmonious, happy time where everyone was in their right place. This is the case for individuals as well, there is never going to be a moment where you are really happy and fully realized, and books, music or anything which suggests that you can be are either sentimental or deliberately lying.

And yes there are quite a lot of books which explicitly do this, and theorists who explicitly say this in its most vulgar version where they simply want to reinstate the customs of some lost tribe or whatever as the antidote to all kinds of problems. I also just don't like the term because it's too often used in the same way people say "world music".

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 25, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

Honestly I just don't like it when authors (or anyone else) dwells too much on identity at all.

All fiction dwells on identity, you are just noticing it when the identity is othered. The human experience is inseparable from subjectivity and identity is at the core of subjectivity.

Shibawanko posted:

There was nothing "before" it that was meaningfully different from that except a greater or lesser degree of exploitation. There was never a harmonious, happy time where everyone was in their right place.

I think you are strawmanning post-colonial literature here. I cannot think of a single post-colonial novel that naively posits the pre-colonization as perfect. You might get some weird new-age poo poo that does that but thats not really post-colonial.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

There are certainly various kinds of nationalists in postcolonial societies who do have that mentality with regard to traditional precolonial societies (or their intepretation thereof) - but most of them are not novelists, and when they are tend to be more interested in traditional or historical forms of art rather than examining postcolonial identity questions

Shibawanko posted:

There was nothing "before" it that was meaningfully different from that except a greater or lesser degree of exploitation

This is a very bizarre statement. If a given society had a greater or lesser degree of exploitation prior to colonization than it did during or after, that's a meaningful difference - especially to those being exploited.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 25, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Earwicker posted:

There are certainly various kinds of nationalists in postcolonial societies who do have that mentality with regard to traditional precolonial societies (or their intepretation thereof) - but most of them are not novelists, and when they are tend to be more interested in traditional or historical forms of art rather than examining postcolonial identity questions

Right, but there is a difference between an artist working in a post-colonial reality and a post-colonial artist. We are all living in a post-modern era but that doesn't make all of our art post-modern

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Right, but there is a difference between an artist working in a post-colonial reality and a post-colonial artist. We are all living in a post-modern era but that doesn't make all of our art post-modern

It doesn't, but traditionalist artists in post-colonial societies tend to be reacting very directly to their post-colonial situation, even if they aren't quite examining the issue in the way we think of when the term "postcolonial lit" is used.

Whereas with postmodernism, what you say is true but there are a lot of artists working in the postmodern era who are not really reacting directly to that at all, their art is entirely disconnected. Which is just as true of certain artists in postcolonial societies, but I don't think that's who we're talking about. There is a difference between a reactionary and someone who is completely apathetic to the issue.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Earwicker posted:

It doesn't, but traditionalist artists in post-colonial societies tend to be reacting very directly to their post-colonial situation, even if they aren't quite examining the issue in the way we think of when the term "postcolonial lit" is used.

Whereas with postmodernism, what you say is true but there are a lot of artists working in the postmodern era who are not really reacting directly to that at all, their art is entirely disconnected. Which is just as true of certain artists in postcolonial societies, but I don't think that's who we're talking about. There is a difference between a reactionary and someone who is completely apathetic to the issue.

Good point. I mostly am just rejecting the assertion that Post-Colonial art, as a genre, is primarily palingenetic

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 25, 2015

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Earwicker posted:

This is a very bizarre statement. If a given society had a greater or lesser degree of exploitation prior to colonization than it did during or after, that's a meaningful difference - especially to those being exploited.

It's an important difference (I'd rather live in, say, social democratic Sweden in the 80's than in India under British rule), but I meant "meaningful" in a very literal sense. The difference between India before and India during and after British colonization, for example, is not one of meaning but of contingent changes.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

All fiction dwells on identity, you are just noticing it when the identity is othered. The human experience is inseparable from subjectivity and identity is at the core of subjectivity.

But identity is never self-identity. Nobody is anything in itself, nobody is fully Japanese for example, although most Japanese would claim that they are, and nobody was ever fully Indian. Cultural identity is something imposed from the outside. Subjectivity is not identity, subjectivity is the gap between the self and identity, the degree to which you are able to recognize the contingency of what you are and live with that, subjectivity is alienation. You can dwell on identity and subvert it, mock it, reject it or live with it somehow but a lot of books do ask this question in a way that makes no effort to separate the self from identity. I don't think this is purely a strawman.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

It's an important difference (I'd rather live in, say, social democratic Sweden in the 80's than in India under British rule), but I meant "meaningful" in a very literal sense. The difference between India before and India during and after British colonization, for example, is not one of meaning but of contingent changes.

But identity is never self-identity. Nobody is anything in itself, nobody is fully Japanese for example, although most Japanese would claim that they are, and nobody was ever fully Indian. Cultural identity is something imposed from the outside. Subjectivity is not identity, subjectivity is the gap between the self and identity, the degree to which you are able to recognize the contingency of what you are and live with that, subjectivity is alienation. You can dwell on identity and subvert it, mock it, reject it or live with it somehow but a lot of books do ask this question in a way that makes no effort to separate the self from identity. I don't think this is purely a strawman.

I do not understand a single thing here.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

blue squares posted:

Sweden is better than india

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

blue squares posted:

That's strange because it's an easy, basic concept.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

That's strange because it's an easy, basic concept.

I don't really follow your second paragraph either. Maybe it's an easy basic concept in your head but you sure aren't explaining it as such, it kind of veers into word salad to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I think I get what Shibawanko's going for but I'm having difficulty explaining it in words that aren't those words or words more confusing than those words. I'm sort of reading this as being similar(ish) to WIlliam James' theories of self, so that might be skewing what Shibawanko's actually going for. Basically there's your self, which is the you that is intrinsically and necessarily you, and there's your identity, which is a construct formed when the self observes itself in relation to others. Your subjectivity is the extent to which you recognise the necessary gap between these two concepts (?), and fiction should strive to achieve a representation of the self, as opposed to the identity of the author.

Not sure I wholly agree, but then again I might have got this horribly wrong.