Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I can't belie these men may control the fate of the Middle East.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Beefstew posted:

This needed to happen several pages ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLKZtppbm_Q

Without clicking I knew what this link was gonn be.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So does anyone else follow Jim Sterling? I love his squinty play videos, looking at the worst of steam green light and early access. I did disagree with him that it's Steam's job to weed out the utter garbage stuff from it, but now I'm starting to come around when he started talking about asset flipping and people outright selling games they didn't make.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

BigRed0427 posted:

So does anyone else follow Jim Sterling? I love his squinty play videos, looking at the worst of steam green light and early access. I did disagree with him that it's Steam's job to weed out the utter garbage stuff from it, but now I'm starting to come around when he started talking about asset flipping and people outright selling games they didn't make.

I remember when Unepic couldn't get on Steam initially because it didn't meet their quality standards. Now there's asset flips, stolen games and of course Kill the human being.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

WickedHate posted:

They really aren't any better than the person their obsessed with. They actually went through trash at one point after her house burned down to find old high school papers. It's abhorrent.

loving hell... I know internet trolls aren't exactly respectful of other people's privacy, but finding out where somebody lives, finding your way to that address, and then digging through the charred remains of their home to find old homework from about 15 years ago? Chris Chan or not, that's a level of stalker I can't even fathom.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hey now pinning this all on 4chan is unfair. The people who got married through their shared obsessive hatred of Chris-chan were members of our very own Something Awful.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

BigRed0427 posted:

I don't watch him regularly, but he's good people. I like that the guy who I mainly remember as the sorta-troll reviewer on Destructoid is making good videos now.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I like him. His videos are very polemic, but he normally backs it up with good reasoning and also distinguishes between the trolling and the actual arguments.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

To be honest the first time I saw him was his Sim City video. I first found him a little arrogant but once I got past the facade I thoroughly enjoyed listening to his talking points.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Annointed posted:

I first found him a little arrogant but once I got past the facade I thoroughly enjoyed listening to his talking points.

It started out grating to me, but over time it's become kind of lovable, possibly because he also 1) makes fun of himself and 2) will admit when he's been wrong and/or dumb and change opinions. I like the Jimquisition the most, mainly because I tend to prefer heavily scripted and edited stuff over the extemporaneous, but pretty much everything on his channel is fun.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Who are the good game reviewer types similar to Jimquisition? About the only vidja gamez people I follow are him and Bunnyhop guy, who is great for different reasons.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Impermanent posted:

Who are the good game reviewer types similar to Jimquisition? About the only vidja gamez people I follow are him and Bunnyhop guy, who is great for different reasons.

Kimble Justice posts in the thread and is pretty great. If you want a nice variety of topics explored, including tv shows about video games, Kimble's a great choice.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Anyone remember the guy who did the Call of Duty retrospective? He's got a new video on comedy games, looking at South Park: Stick of Truth, Brutal Legend, Far Cry Blood Dragon, Portal 2, and Goat Simulator. Interesting stuff.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Alacron posted:

Anyone remember the guy who did the Call of Duty retrospective? He's got a new video on comedy games, looking at South Park: Stick of Truth, Brutal Legend, Far Cry Blood Dragon, Portal 2, and Goat Simulator. Interesting stuff.

The dude is indeed pretty awesome. He is actually an amazing critic, since he seems to be able to separate his personal opinion from his 'professional' one. It's really interesting to listen to him.

TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
:dukedog:
Buglord

Impermanent posted:

Errant Signal is a favorite of mine. They don't come out as fast as Bunnyhop or Jim but there's usually two episodes a month.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Impermanent posted:

They don't do reviews but I like Extra Credits. They more talk about game design theories and how certain aspects of the industry work.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

They don't do reviews but I like Extra Credits. They more talk about game design theories and how certain aspects of the industry work.

Just don't mention Red 5 and Firefall. Seriously though their extra funds project was a complete bust, and fell to the wayside without even a murmur.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 24, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Extra Credits has always seemed bland as poo poo at best. And their Hared video was just kinda moronic on top.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Annointed posted:

Just don't mention Red 5 and Firefall. Seriously though their extra funds project was a complete bust, and fell to the wayside without even a murmur.

Oh man, I forgot Extra Funds was even a loving thing. What a disaster.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Genetic Toaster posted:

Oh man, I forgot Extra Funds was even a loving thing. What a disaster.

What was it? Did they beg for money or something?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

JB50 posted:

What was it? Did they beg for money or something?

Yeah, their original artist needed surgery on her hand so they held a fund raiser. Which was an issue all in of it self. They were on the Escapist at the time and they felt they deserved a cut of what they raised. This led to them leaving the site,

The fundraiser was successful but had a lot of money left over. So they decide they are going to use the money to fund some Indy project. I don't think anything came of it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

BigRed0427 posted:

So does anyone else follow Jim Sterling?

Something about his voice grates for me and I really don't care for his Jimquisition persona but the man does know what he's talking about. I think I enjoy his written stuff more than his videos by far.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
There's a new Movie Nights--and it's Prehysteria! If I remember correctly, the exclamation point is, in fact, part of the title.

You have no idea how much I loved this movie when I was a little kid. Cute little animatronic pet dinosaurs was my jam.

This is another one I watched a lot of (and now own): Remote

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mr. Fowl posted:

There's a new Movie Nights--and it's Prehysteria! If I remember correctly, the exclamation point is, in fact, part of the title.

You have no idea how much I loved this movie when I was a little kid. Cute little animatronic pet dinosaurs was my jam.

Hell yeah, Full Moon Features's kids film department.

I saw few of these, but saw trailers for them ALL THE TIME

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Moonbeam features were awesome. Along with Prehysteria!, I used to rent the Josh Kirby films a lot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I forgot about the extra funds project. I don't blame them one bit for leaving the escapist after they tried to yank all the donation money, but its a shame nothing came of their indy project funding. At least they tried, even though therre was no feasible way they would be able to keep funding going off their extra donations for allison's surgery.

I still like extra creditsn though nowadays that is mostly for their extra history segments on saturdays. Much more fun listening about historical stuff than hit and miss game analysis.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Wait, so the Escapist held a fundraiser for one of it's producer's to get surgery...and then they tried to take all the money? What the hell. :stonk:

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 24, 2015

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

WickedHate posted:

Wait, so the Escapist held a fundraiser for one of it's producer's to get surgery...and then they tried to take all the money? :stonk:

No, IIRC Extra Credits, who were hosted on The Escapist at the time, started the fundraiser independently and The Escapist tried to take a cut after it was successful, despite not having anything to do with the fundraiser before that. This was on top of other shadiness going on, like not paying the EC guys for their videos.

Edit: Well, I seem to have misremembered some parts. Arcsquad has the better explanation.

Alacron fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 24, 2015

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I remember Prehysteria! from when I was a kid. :3: I think I remember the second one more, though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

WickedHate posted:

Wait, so the Escapist held a fundraiser for one of it's producer's to get surgery...and then they tried to take all the money? What the hell. :stonk:

Okay, so ec's artist needed wrist surgery or she couldn't continue doing art for the show. Ec went to the fundraising site rockethub and set up a donation box for her, and then asked the escapist if they would consider letting ec promote the donation drive on the site, same as loading ready run had done for their desert bus campaigns. Escapist said yes, and even offered some stretch goal rewards like t-shirts for high paying donators. The donation drive was a huge success and made a couple hundred thousand dollars, way more than was needed to cover the surgery. And that's where poo poo fell apart.

Ec decided that with the extra money, they would use to fund extra credits and an indy game, putting the money to use getting a developer off the ground. But then the escapist came knocking demanding a big cut of the extra funds, citing the t-shirts and promotion they provided as grounds to sieze the money. After this happened, james, ec's main writer, revealed that the escapist hadn't actually paid them for their content for months. The ec team had agreed to this with the promise that escapist would pay them later after their financial woes striaghtened out. So here comes the escapist suddenly demanding all the extra cash people had donated to the surgery be handed over, after months of not paying their contributors$

It got even worse when a bunch of other contributors came forward and mentioned that "hey, we haven't been paid either!" And that the escapist had actually stiffed about four or five shows and comic strips at once. Escapist quietly dropped their threats against extra credits and then ec migrated to penny arcade and then to youtube. None of the contributors that had been short changed are on the site anymore.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
:staredog: That is some Universal Studios vs Nintendo level poo poo right there.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
The Escapist is a lovely site, the forums there are even worse. Don't bother going there.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PassTheRemote posted:

The Escapist is a lovely site, the forums there are even worse. Don't bother going there.

Agreed, they couldn't be more scummy if they tried. They really make me sick.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

PassTheRemote posted:

I never went back since Jim sterling when solo, I don't miss it mush, and every story I heard it just sounds like a horrible place. I mean it makes TGWTG sound like google in term of being run smoothly.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
At least TGWTG doesn't pretend to pay its content producers, which doesn't make them less scummy but it does at least make them not crooks.

Though TGWTG makes up for it in emotional abusiveness.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The worst part was watching those videos where they twist the situation to make EC sound like they were just as wrong, as wrong as the guys trying to take money from an artist's surgery fund when they haven't paid their people. Granted the videos claimed that ad revenue went down a boatload during the time of the EC fundraiser, but I highly doubt that claim.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 24, 2015

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
I haven't been back to the escapist since they cancelled game dogs. what a great show

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Mr. Fowl posted:

I'd never seen the movie, but I vividly remember the box cover for some reason. Seems like it was better than one would think. As Lupa touched upon, I appreciate anything made for kids that doesn't talk down to them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

dreezy posted:

I haven't been back to the escapist since they cancelled game dogs. what a great show

Not even the editor in chief of the site was safe from the cancelation spree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dijon du jour posted:

At least TGWTG doesn't pretend to pay its content producers, which doesn't make them less scummy but it does at least make them not crooks.

Though TGWTG makes up for it in emotional abusiveness.

Didnt they discourage using patreon for a while?

• Locked thread