Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
To be more accurate, yes, Atomos is heavy, but that has nothing to do with whether or not Sleep works.

And yeah, the only Level X spell that gets blocked by Heavy is L4 Graviga.

Which is yet another reason why it's the worst.

Arrrthritis posted:

Wait, this is okay to do? I don't have to freelancer my way through the Fire crystal?

Am I the only one who actually likes using Freelancers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Maleketh posted:

I'll be fighting Atomos soon, a boss that has always given me trouble in standard runs. Any tips for a team of White Mage/Time Mage/Beastmaster/Samurai? Just throw money at him until he dies?

Grab some Travelers from Barrier Tower and release them to Time Slip Atomos. The Old won't do anything, but it can be put to Sleep for a bit.

Also throw money at it.

Edward_Tohr posted:

Am I the only one who actually likes using Freelancers?

Being able to use any/every weapon is awesome and you have the Healing Staff for support. Freelancers own.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 25, 2015

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

^^I'm neutral on Freelancers normally, I just don't like having only freelancers for largish parts of the game.

Arrrthritis posted:

Wait, this is okay to do? I don't have to freelancer my way through the Fire crystal?

Depends, are you willing/able to be a drat dirty cheater? :v: I just unlocked all jobs with a code for the sake of my sanity, and I'm pretty sure there are patches that do the same.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
If I use one of those mods, what are the chances it'll completely gently caress up my run?

I'm betting it's 100%, but just in case :v:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

That's 25. Halfway there!

I have to keep doing this to keep track of everything.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Should I wait for my win to be completely processed before I register anew?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Trilin posted:

Should I wait for my win to be completely processed before I register anew?

Yes. Always wait til it is recorded.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Maleketh posted:

Isn't Atomos Heavy? I was under the impression that Sleep wouldn't hold for long. If I'm wrong, though, it should be cake.

Sleep lasts until broken by a physical attack. Magic attacks and !Mineuchi do not break it (unless you're on mobile, then Mineuchi does break it).

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Kyrosiris posted:

Sleep lasts until broken by a physical attack. Magic attacks and !Mineuchi do not break it (unless you're on mobile, then Mineuchi does break it).

Okay, so they fixed that bug, but did they make !Mineuchi actually do what it's supposed to, or is it just a normal-rear end physical attack now?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

Then explain to me how my team of 3x Sleep Spellbladers/A Bard still got cometed into oblivion. :colbert:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Got Blue Mage / Summoner / Ninja / Chemist for my second Fiesta ever, after Triple Crowning with Thief / Summoner / Geomancer / Chemist the first time. I'm growing concerned that I'm never actually going to learn how to play this game.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Man, can we put "get a Tiara from a Lamia" on the list of things to make sure to do in W1 if you don't know what your Earth job is? IF YOU DO TEMPTING TANGO ONE MORE TIME I WILL MURDER YOU LENNA

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
30 elixirs and many more phoenix downs later

That was loving close

Edit:Seriously god bless the chicken knife/sword dance combo.

Dirty Deeds Done fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 25, 2015

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

OzFactor posted:

Man, can we put "get a Tiara from a Lamia" on the list of things to make sure to do in W1 if you don't know what your Earth job is? IF YOU DO TEMPTING TANGO ONE MORE TIME I WILL MURDER YOU LENNA

Only if you have a thief (they're steals, not drops, and the Thief Knife isn't until world 3), and even then it's hard-pressed to beat out a Ribbon.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Anyone have a Sealed Temple-compatible team yet?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
gently caress it. I'm job fairing Summoner into Berserker.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Only if you have a thief (they're steals, not drops, and the Thief Knife isn't until world 3), and even then it's hard-pressed to beat out a Ribbon.

Eh, I could see it competing in situations where Swords Dance is a necessity. The stupidly-high defense of the ribbon is nice to have, but sometimes the best way to keep yourself alive is to kill the other guy first.

That said, I'm sure someone'll equip it and then roll nothing but Mystery Waltz. :v:

Reiterpallasch posted:

gently caress it. I'm job fairing Summoner into Berserker.

:perfect:

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

FARTZ FOR THE FARTZ GOD

Got him on the 10th try.

Copius amounts of magic lamp plus hero rime and well equipped zerks grinded to level 64.

My first fiesta completion!

Krile got frogstoned very early on and I failed to bring enough needles and kisses :bahgawd:

Onto my second run!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

KataraniSword posted:

Then explain to me how my team of 3x Sleep Spellbladers/A Bard still got cometed into oblivion. :colbert:

Because with Sleep Spellblade, it cycles "sleeping, awake, sleeping, awake". :eng101: Sulla documented that in his Mystic Knight SSCC.

LockHeart
Apr 8, 2005

I'll make Coach Haribo proud!
This is my first fiesta, so i rolled Chaos because lifes funny, and have Dragoon/Chemist so far

Finally beat Living Flame with my Freelancer only team only to get a second Chemist for my fire crystal.

Go, Go, Freelancer team! lets fight books!

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

More Fartz!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Apparently my first job for my Chaos run is Beastmaster. Looks like I get to run around with 4 Freelancers for awhile. :confuoot:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

My final party lineup is berserker, berserker, chemist and dancer. Would it be viable to stick Equip Axe on the Dancer and have him/her just dance the night away?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Randalor posted:

My final party lineup is berserker, berserker, chemist and dancer. Would it be viable to stick Equip Axe on the Dancer and have him/her just dance the night away?

Chicken knife deals more damage. But yeah axe can work.

Ultimately the best idea is to put mix on your dancer. And have both use blow away every boss that isn't heavy. Berserkers will mop those bosses up.

For ned just double everyone's hp, give them heavy and buff your two controllable characters's level until they are draining 9999 hp each turn.

Chemist is so stupid good. The eclipse everything else.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Shwqa posted:

For ned just double everyone's hp, give them heavy and buff your two controllable characters's level until they are draining 9999 hp each turn.

Chemist is so stupid good. The eclipse everything else.

With the Dancer's low magic score, they'd only be draining 5600 or so. :v:

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost
Doing random for my second run and got Monk, Black Mage, Geomancer, Blue Mage. Should be an easy run overall, Geomancer can just cast magic later on, probably the Monk too.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I've been in the Fire Powered Ship for 5 minutes and want to do horrible things to whoever designed this.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Does the Android version of FFV not have a dash button?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

With the Dancer's low magic score, they'd only be draining 5600 or so. :v:

Even at level 255?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Evil Eagle posted:

Does the Android version of FFV not have a dash button?

Nope!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Shwqa posted:

Even at level 255?

Yup.

quote:

[20:28:09] <~Kyrosiris> .dancer
[20:28:10] <@CarbyBot> Kyrosiris: Dancer: Innates: None; Abilities: !Flirt (25 AP), !Dance (50 AP), Equip Ribbons (325 AP)
[20:28:11] <@CarbyBot> Stats: +5 (29) Str, +5 (29) Agi, -10 (14) Vit, -5 (19) Mag
[20:28:15] <~Kyrosiris> .mcalc 255 19 magic
[20:28:16] <@CarbyBot> At level 255 with 19 Magic Power, your magic M is 22. To reach the next M, you need to reach level 257.

255 * 22 is 5610.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My first roll this year is Thief/Berserker/Ranger/???, and Byblos is a big brick wall for me. Am I just going to have to brute force it with levels?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
End of World 2 Exdeath is hard, you guys.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Well, releasing a Traveler against Atomos failed completely; even after dozens of tries it simply sould not put the fucker to sleep.

So I whacked him to death with physical attacks and Comet. Yay brute force!

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I've got Monk/Summoner so far. I hear there's a trick where you skip getting a bunch of the summons. Is it worth doing?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Another Fartz victory! :marc:

Don't think I can triple crown this run, though. Omega was as much of a pushover as he always is with access to !Sing and !Rapidfire, but Shinryu is a supersonic freight train of pain.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Finished run #1 today, chaos run with time mage/ninja/ninja/ranger. Main problem was that anything that NED did would one shot anyone in my party. Killed him through peppering him with tons of fuma shurikens.

Started chaos run #2. Summoner/Red Mage/Ninja/Geomancer. So basically Summoner/Summoner who looks like a red mage/Summoner who looks like a geomancer/Ninja.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I'm starting to hit a bit of a wall in terms of damage. Red Mage got me through a great deal of World 1, but the monsters in World 2 are lasting a bit longer and dealing more damage than I can reasonably heal. Fortunately, Time Magic is pretty great, and Slowga makes a lot of battles hurt a lot less. I never really used Time magic before, but I'm loving how much control I have over the battlefield with it! Gaia is actually pulling its weight a lot of the time, despite the randomness, and having it on two characters right now is helping my overall damage output on random encounters. Still, I'm not looking forward to World 3 at this rate.

Also, that stupid pit thing in Drakenvale. I forgot all about it and went up and down the mountain twice trying to figure out how to get that switch!

But yeah, to summarize: Time Magic is pretty great. On to Xezat's fleet!

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I cycled the Wonder Wand back to shell and switched Beastmaster/Summoner to my higher level characters, so mark down another Neo Exdeath for FARTZ!

in addition to Omega and Shinryu

Summoner is easily the best of the traditional casters (Black/White/Red/Time) for the Fiesta, as it has most of the best utilities with very few downsides. I didn't need to grind for rods or rings; Hermes Sandles in World 3 were the only major purchase and I had plenty of money by then. Beastmaster isn't bad, but there weren't many situations where it could help (summoning a Sand Bear to slap Archeoaevis' poo poo, an Ironback to finish the Earth Crystal, two Yellow Dragons to burst Exdeath below 16000, and two Dragon Aevis to 9999 Neo Exdeath's last two sections).

Parallax Scroll posted:

I've got Monk/Summoner so far. I hear there's a trick where you skip getting a bunch of the summons. Is it worth doing?

Not often. Shiva and Ramuh are great for taking down Liquid Flame and Byblos in the first world, and it generally also means skipping Carbuncle who's useful for World 2 Exdeath (and a few World 3 bosses). In the Fiesta it's generally not worth it to have a less-than-50% chance of casting a good summon for free (Slydra with the gold hairpin is only 16 MP anyway). It's much easier to buy a few Ethers than to grind reflect rings. You can skip Chokobo/Remora/Slyph if you want though, as they're always available and obsolete as soon as you get Shiva.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Parallax Scroll posted:

Im of the opinion its not. !Call requires you to grind a lot of AP for each person that you want doing it, and the end result is still getting a random summon instead of just slamming out the one you want each turn every turn and then drinking an elixir when you run out of mp.

Lilli fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 25, 2015

• Locked thread