Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

For God's sake, Chris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Non-consensual age play is a big Claremont thing.

Warlock's choices of things he transforms into will never not be awesome. He turns himself into Hagar the Horrible when they are having the audience with Loki.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I'm reading through Uncanny X-Force (which has been amazing) and can someone give a quick primer on Otherworld? I know nothing about it/the Braddocks/Meggan/etc...

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Who cares? Skip it. It is an awful story with some bullshit filler artist.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

I'm reading through Uncanny X-Force (which has been amazing) and can someone give a quick primer on Otherworld? I know nothing about it/the Braddocks/Meggan/etc...
Just think of it as a hub of the multiverse where the Captain Britains thereof can monitor stuff and go anywhere they need to.

That section is easily the low-point of the UXF run.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Brocktoon posted:

If I remember correctly, that's something Alan Moore introduced via his old Captain Britain run.

It's probably faster to just do this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avalon_%28Marvel_Comics%29

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Well, I'm glad to see that it's considered the low point, because I was reading last night and thinking "This is not very good compared to the earlier arcs and the art is almost incomprehensible..."

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Meggan's the wife of our Earth's Captain Britain. Brian has two siblings: Betsy and Jamie, the latter a madman with reality distortion powers if I recall correctly. Otherworld is basically a fantasy land and a nexus of all realities that have a Captain Britain.

The mythos themselves are interesting on their own. I recommend picking a modern take on Captain Britain like Captain Britain and the MI13 by Paul Cornell. It's really good.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 3, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

Well, I'm glad to see that it's considered the low point, because I was reading last night and thinking "This is not very good compared to the earlier arcs and the art is almost incomprehensible..."
Remender and Tocchini had worked on some other project together before that, and seemed to get along swimmingly, so I'm sure it was Remender who rec'd him for UXF. But yeah, Tocchini poo poo the bed here and I remember the progressively more-upset comments that kept coming with each new issue on the ifanboy threads (which I was visiting regularly at the time). Just hold your breath and plow through.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Even as someone who likes Otherworld, I was underwhelmed by that arc.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think that Alan Moore / Alan Davis run on Captain Britain might actually be my favourite Alan Moore comic. Miracleman nearly edges it out (it's certainly a much more innovative comic) but Captain Britain is the one I most enjoy reading.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So, yea I enjoyed that issue, but holy crap, the plot moved about a micrometer. if 600 is Bendis's last issue, it better be panel after panel of plot lines wrapping up. Also, great time to introduce a whole new bunch of characters.

So something I had a problem with was reconciling timid, religious and kind Rhaine Sinclair from New Mutants to the one that was part of Wolverines kill everyone X-force.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

600 is an issue of Uncanny, not All New.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

600 is an issue of Uncanny, not All New.

They're practically the same book. The POV just switches between books.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

twistedmentat posted:

So something I had a problem with was reconciling timid, religious and kind Rhaine Sinclair from New Mutants to the one that was part of Wolverines kill everyone X-force.

Self-hatred and convincing she was a monster from... some event, I don't completely remember which.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
She basically got conditioned by religious fanatics to wolf out and go kill crazy on "The Impure"

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Probably Magic posted:

Self-hatred and convincing she was a monster from... some event, I don't completely remember which.

And a lot of Catholic guilt

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

She's not a very good or consistent character, also.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

hope and vaseline posted:

And a lot of Catholic guilt

Scottish Presbyterian actually :flashfact:

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 4, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So in short, the 90s happened to her.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

So in short, the 90s happened to her.

Yeah X-Tinction Agenda really hosed with her head when she got brainwashed and then attached to Havok.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

twistedmentat posted:

They're practically the same book. The POV just switches between books.

I'm new to comics, and my brain hurts.

I've been reading All New X-Men and X-Men since the most recent #1s. What else has happened since AvX that I should catch up on? I haven't actually read AvX either :{

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Tyma posted:

I'm new to comics, and my brain hurts.

I've been reading All New X-Men and X-Men since the most recent #1s. What else has happened since AvX that I should catch up on? I haven't actually read AvX either :{

Read Wolverine and the X-men volume 1.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Uncanny X-Men is the the other half of the All New story. Adjectiveless X-Men is unrelated.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

Read Wolverine and the X-men volume 1.

Do that, then read Spider-Man & the X-Men. Nothing happened in between. There was no other comic. :colbert:

But yeah, if you're liking All-New, Uncanny ties in really closely with it. It also doesn't read as badly if you take it all in one go than if you're waiting month-to-month. :shobon: The pacing's still weird but tolerable.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

A Tin Of Beans posted:

It also doesn't read as badly if you take it all in one go than if you're waiting month-to-month. :shobon: The pacing's still weird but tolerable.

This quote should be on the front cover of every Bendis trade and/or omnibus in place of "Great!" and other positive poo poo from review sites.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pure speculation: I have a pet theory that cosmic-powered 616 Kitty Pryde lost her memory in the Incursions and is in A-Force as Singularity, who will eventually become the post-battleworld new version of Eternity. This is based on very little actual evidence besides that her cosmic form bears a lot of resemblance to both those characters, she hasn't shown up anywhere else in Battleworld (though admittedly everyone else is dead and she wasn't even in the first issue when they weren't yet,) and also we know that there's a mini with Star Lord looking for her (probably) so unless the conclusion of that is 'turns out she's dead welp' we can assume she's somewhere.

This also means that 1610 Kitty can get merged with the rest of the X-men and live on whatever planet they're going to end up on after secret wars without any weird overlap. It's a way to have cake and eat it too.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Bleeding Cool is reporting Jeff Lemire as the new X writer after Secret Wars and Bendis.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/06/11/jeff-lemire-the-new-x-men-writer/

I can get behind this. I mean, they were never going to put Huckman on it, and Sweet Tooth was lovely, and his I enjoyed his take on Animal Man.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He also had a really good run on Green Arrow.

This is probably the best you are gonna get, and Hickman would have been an awful choice for X-men.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

krakagar posted:

Bleeding Cool is reporting Jeff Lemire as the new X writer after Secret Wars and Bendis.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/06/11/jeff-lemire-the-new-x-men-writer/

I can get behind this. I mean, they were never going to put Huckman on it, and Sweet Tooth was lovely, and his I enjoyed his take on Animal Man.

Holy poo poo, I'm so excited for this. :swoon: I've never really read him on a team book before, I don't think? But dude makes some awesome comics. Sweet Tooth is a perennial favorite of mine, and Descender's turning out great. poo poo, Trillium was gorgeous, too. I hope this is true.

My ideal world would have him drawing, too, but Marvel'd never go for it. Doubt he has the time, either, with how much he's writing these days.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hickman's not doing anything big after Secret Wars anyway.

I found Lemire's JLU dialogue to be a bit too wordy and wooden feeling, but to be fair they were early, establishing issues and I haven't been keeping up to see if that changed or anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Didn't Hickman say he was focusing on his creator-owned stuff for a bit after Secret Wars?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Hickman said he was taking a break after Secret Wars to recover and when he does come back to Marvel it will be to do a smaller project.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Lemire is really really really bad on team books.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

He's kind of a one trick pony. I tried to enjoy All New Hawkeye, but couldn't. It just felt like Sweet Tooth with super heroes. And that just had two main characters with a basic concept. He's most likely not a good fit for X-Men.

But at least one can take the consolation he won't pull a "everyone does what I say" across the line, which would make it impossible for any other writer to do good stories.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Starsnostars posted:

Hickman said he was taking a break after Secret Wars to recover and when he does come back to Marvel it will be to do a smaller project.

He asked Twitter if he should write a Tron book or a Celestials/Eternals/Deviants book next. Whether that's serious or the hugest cocktease who knows?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Die Laughing posted:

He asked Twitter if he should write a Tron book or a Celestials/Eternals/Deviants book next. Whether that's serious or the hugest cocktease who knows?

It's actually both, with the Eternals and Deviants of the Grid working to overthrow the tyrannical artificial intelligence Ultron. Marvel Comics and Disney present... ulTRON: Legacy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yesss put the middle aged man in the skintight outfit.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
that does not make me want to read that more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You should. It's really good.

• Locked thread