Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Servaetes posted:

Well I guess the question becomes is it worth it to spend the mythril on it? I was trying to figure out the health of the boss and the Black Waltz dude has something hysterical like 62,000 HP and his blizzard spells were lighting my dudes the gently caress up. I scooped a Fira so I'm gonna try it again and see how it goes.

Also I assume The Everyman guy eventually really badly sucks poo poo and the template classes all look awful statistically comparatively?

Kind of. Freelancer Man and the generics are all pretty bad, but Freelancer is less bad by virtue of being a freelancer and thus the ability to equip literally anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I really doubt normal level Black Waltz has 62,000 hp you must be reading the wrong one.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Servaetes posted:

Well I guess the question becomes is it worth it to spend the mythril on it? I was trying to figure out the health of the boss and the Black Waltz dude has something hysterical like 62,000 HP and his blizzard spells were lighting my dudes the gently caress up. I scooped a Fira so I'm gonna try it again and see how it goes.

Also I assume The Everyman guy eventually really badly sucks poo poo and the template classes all look awful statistically comparatively?

I think that's his elite HP, most people have no idea what normal HP is since you can auto attack it if you have good gear, and a home doing effort posts has good gear and level 50s.

High HP is like 200k the Black Waltz HP is pretty low compared to most so far, he just does a ton of damage.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Are you using Retaliate?

No!

Guessing I should?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Servaetes posted:

Tyro's fairly mediocre unless you happen to get one of his two special weapons (Healing Grimoire & Sentinel Grimoire), in which case he becomes a goddamn powerhouse.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Finally beat the Grnet EX stage. Did it with 0 mithril too which was nice. Killed the 3rd boss through blind rather quicky and spend the first 30 seconds or so of the black waltz fight having everyone defend with Tyro's Sentinel running until blind wore off. Then proceed to blow the boss away with vit0. Had 8 curagas, 2 power breaks, and a defense break (plus some other damage skills) for the last fight so I decided to go for it. Cloud had a completely filled liit bar so I had 3 protect veils to use if need be but only used one as the 2nd power break was getting ready to wear off. Ended up not needing it because the last 3 attacks the boss made consisted of the boss hitting themselves instead. Didn't master it but let's be honest here, the 5 star skills are a novelty at best and by the time you'd have even a r2 5 star skill you'd probably have a handful of r3-4 4 stars and a ton of r5 3 starts that'll more than do the job on pretty much any content.

Nephzinho posted:

Time for another 50 pu-- gently caress.

Been playing since release and my only natural 5* weapons are a Danjuro, Judgment Staff, and Murasame (and the gifted Zan). RNGesus hath forsaken me.

e; On the bright side, I now have a Rune Axe++ that is waiting for Golbez.

On the downside, it's not the Rune Axe you want for him.

DaveWoo posted:

Tyro's fairly mediocre unless you happen to get one of his two special weapons (Healing Grimoire & Sentinel Grimoire), in which case he becomes a goddamn powerhouse.

You know what's even better? When you pull both his tomes. :getin:

I'm tempted to switch out my Sentinel Grimoire for the healing one on my WR since the latter seems to get used more. Maybe due to it being such a giant heal, but the sentinel's damage reduction is just so good. I can't wait until we get Yuna's kickass healing staff and I can fill up on Yuna buddies because then stuff like Dark Knight in the Mt Ordeals elite fight won't be nearly as bad to deal with.

I'll probably vit0 him anyways because gently caress that war of attrition.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Zeitgueist posted:

No!

Guessing I should?

Eh, Retaliate isn't super necessary on the classics at your level. I would suggest you start using synergy gear; it's probably the single most important way to get more power. Honing more abilities is the other super important thing. If you're having a hard time with a particular boss, look them up on the official wiki to see what elements and statuses they're vulnerable too- exploiting those is the key to beating bosses.

DaveWoo posted:

Eh, he's still fairly mediocre with the Healing Grimoire, but at least it still has decent stats to make him almost competitive with "real" characters again.

Edit:

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm tempted to switch out my Sentinel Grimoire for the healing one on my WR since the latter seems to get used more.

My Tyro with the Healing Grimoire gets about 15 summons a day. Nothing special.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

AweStriker posted:

I beat Archaeosaur Elite. It was harrowing since Gnash would one-shot Luneth no matter what. Garnet had to burn her Phoenix reviving him because he was my Intimidate carrier.

Quit/reload until intimidate hits, you can Vit0 him down before it wears off.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Quit/reload until intimidate hits, you can Vit0 him down before it wears off.

I didn't take Protect or a Deprotega friend (I picked a Cross Slash RW hoping that the Intimidate chance would be worth it).

Besides, I'd already said I beat and mastered it. That said: anyone that has yet to do it, Archaeosaur is not worth screwing around on and you should do this. Don't be like me.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Thinking about running the FFIX boss rush a second time before it disappears. Seems like a pretty good source of 4* orbs for the stamina cost and this one isn't nearly as troublesome as FFX was.

On the other hand that is 100 stamina I could use to keep plowing through the the new dungeons or FFVIII event.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Don't forget this is Lightning Orb and Pray for Greater Wind Orb day too

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Zeitgueist posted:

I'm still working classic dungeons and right around difficulty 27 the bosses are wrecking me. Team is 28 or so in level, but I'm not using game synergy and maybe that is part of it.

Use game synergy. It makes a huge difference.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
That too! Spent all morning grinding orbs and even had a 6x Lightning orb run. I can't believe I bought 10 of those back in Aerith's event and no 4* orbs. What a waste.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Spikey posted:

Use game synergy. It makes a huge difference.

Provided I pick the synergistic chars, the game optimizes my gear properly, right?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So if I can't clear all of hard for the dailies, but in need one the drops to get and hone better skills, is it still worth to do level 1 and 2 then just flee it and do it all again?

I'm in a weird place where I am still getting through classic dungeons fine but feel I need some better spells and honing at some point.
I'll make a better post showing what I have and see if I'm going about this right

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Kyoujin posted:

Thinking about running the FFIX boss rush a second time before it disappears. Seems like a pretty good source of 4* orbs for the stamina cost and this one isn't nearly as troublesome as FFX was.

On the other hand that is 100 stamina I could use to keep plowing through the the new dungeons or FFVIII event.

Doesn't seem too amazing, although the sample size is tiny.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So if I can't clear all of hard for the dailies, but in need one the drops to get and hone better skills, is it still worth to do level 1 and 2 then just flee it and do it all again?

I'm in a weird place where I am still getting through classic dungeons fine but feel I need some better spells and honing at some point.
I'll make a better post showing what I have and see if I'm going about this right

Yes. Clearing the whole dungeon (besides the 1st time and mastery rewards) just gives you some gold. If you can only do 1 floor, it's still worth it to get higher level orbs.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Zeitgueist posted:

Provided I pick the synergistic chars, the game optimizes my gear properly, right?

If you hit Optimize on screen where it shows your party right before you enter the dungeon it will optimize your gear properly.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
"properly"

You should always double-check your gear after optimizing. Garnet has 5* summon vs. 4* white magic and more Mag than Mnd, so the game thinks she apparently needs to wear the highest Mag rod over Vivi even if she has no damage spells equipped.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

koolkal posted:

"properly"

You should always double-check your gear after optimizing. Garnet has 5* summon vs. 4* white magic and more Mag than Mnd, so the game thinks she apparently needs to wear the highest Mag rod over Vivi even if she has no damage spells equipped.

This. The game absolutely refuses to optimize her for white magery.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Wow the white squid monster guys are way harder than Norg. I had to restart my run to reoptimize my abilities and even then I just barely eked out a victory, whereas for Norg I opened with Carbuncle, had Vit0 up and running in seconds thanks to him casting Protect on himself, and I cast Death the moment Norg showed up to finish things off. A little over a minute, no damage taken. What the hell

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

koolkal posted:

You should always double-check your gear after optimizing.

Thirding this. Garnet isn't even the most affected character by weird optimizer priority: it optimizes Magic on Celes, who can only use black and white magic up to 2*. She's better off with higher Attack to improve her spellblading.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

AweStriker posted:

Thirding this. Garnet isn't even the most affected character by weird optimizer priority: it optimizes Magic on Celes, who can only use black and white magic up to 2*. She's better off with higher Attack to improve her spellblading.

It gave her a non synergized 4* dagger with 4 MAG on it last time I optimized celes

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Snazzy Frocks posted:

It gave her a non synergized 4* dagger with 4 MAG on it last time I optimized celes

This is exactly what it did to me (albeit, the dagger had 5 MAG instead of 4).

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
optimize kept wanting to stick my 5* mage masher on garnet and put her in the front row.

I don't trust optimize.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Jesus, I just steamrolled the everliving gently caress out of Archaeosaur without vit0 and only two Intimidates.

I haven't had the balls to attempt a lot of elite event bosses due to all the stuff I read here and on Reddit. After gathering the courage to attempt elite Granaldo (and subsequently downing him in literally three turns), my curiosity got the better of me and I decided to see how badly I'd get trounced by the big dino.

My party:

51 Cloud, Galbadian Blade++, Galbadian Armor++, Hyper Wrist, Blizzara Strike (4), Retaliate (6)
52 Tidus, Zantetsuken, Genji Armor, Hyper Wrist, Venom Buster (2), Intimidate (6)
42 Squall, Diamond Blade (IX), Galbadian Armor+, Champion Belt, Armor Break (4), Power Break (4)
52 Vivi, Gravity Rod, Monk Robe, Earring, Blizzaga (4), Blizzara (6)
50 Lenna, Judgment Rod, Black Robe++, Angel Ring, Curaga (6), Cura (6)
Sentinel Grimoire FSB

Took two S/L for Tidus to get the first move and for Intimidate to stick. Debuffed and poisoned him and just went hog wild. After the first Intimidate wore off, I put up another and cast Blizzaga and then it died.

There's absolutely no way I did 130k damage that quickly? I didn't even have to move into retaliate or blizzara. Poor Lenna never even had a chance to use one heal. Hell, I never even had to resort to Sentinel Grimoire.

Time to see if Oilboyle is doable.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Your party is fine I think this is gonna be pretty anticlimactic for you, at least until the boss rush is out.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
I needed Intimidate for the dino as well but I had Vivi take care of 90% of his hit points. Attunement II materia + Mental Breakdown + Magic Armlet had Blizzara (not ga!) taking off over 9000hp. Magic gets pretty monstrous once you're stacking buffs on top of other buffs. I think I'm about ready to start honing a second set of -gas and work my way toward a mage party for EX boss rush murder.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

larchesdanrew posted:

Time to see if Oilboyle is doable.

Reddit thread gave a good tip: Silence blocks Counter Oil Blast. Consider throwing Silence Strike or Silencega on someone.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Keep in mind that if you are looking up info on bosses comments about their difficulty may be skewed by previous appearances ; a lot of the Dino discussion on the wiki is from the Rinoa event and not this one.

Current Dino is a pussycat once you load him up with debuffs; he spent the last 2/3 of his life with paralyze/blind/poison/Slow on him.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

KataraniSword posted:

Reddit thread gave a good tip: Silence blocks Counter Oil Blast. Consider throwing Silence Strike or Silencega on someone.

Wouldn't aeris work?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Um, holy poo poo. Norg Elite is a total joke thanks to Vit0. Ran it with Cloud/Squall/Irvine/Vivi/Garnet and it was a cakewalk. Toss up the Vit0 combo, have Squall spam Bladeblitz, the rest Double Cut and Garnet cures every cooldown. I even had the Bard record materia on Squall as a backup plan but the fight was over before I ran out of my four Bladeblitz charges. Vivi was pretty much useless as always but I'm dragging him along to mooch XP anyway, replace him with another Double Cut spammer and it would have been even easier.

Bring on the boss rush! :getin:

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
Aeris' soul break applies silence really well, but those oilboyles are jerks that can still cast oil shot when silenced, murdering one of your mages if they feel like it. Power break would probably help quite a bit, but I'm trying to save room for the boss rush. Probably will just need to eat a mythril by the end, but don't be like me and try that on the elite version. Bring silence, sleep, and power break.

Vit0 is a like lot spamming Lionheart isn't it?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

pixaal posted:

Wouldn't aeris work?

Yeah, but as stated, it only blocks the counter and I don't think they can be Stopped. Silencega isn't a bad idea to bring along anyway, if you have it.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Holy crap, I just defeated elite Archaeosaur with my level 40~ team. Thanks whoever had that blinding blade Locke. :)

Violet_Sky fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 25, 2015

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, but as stated, it only blocks the counter and I don't think they can be Stopped. Silencega isn't a bad idea to bring along anyway, if you have it.

Silencega helped a lot, I found that fight way harder than the last one. Managed to land it on both, Prot them, Deprot, Prot the first and burn it down with Double Cuts, Prot the second (the Deprot debuff lasts long enough for both) and burn it down. Had to reapply Silence on the second, but fortunately Silencega seems to land rather well and it uses dirt common orbs so I honed it to 3/5. It was still a little touchy and I had to reset a couple times to get it all down.

Edit: One thing that I find helps is to run two Protect casters that aren't my healer. So Garnet focuses solely on healing and Squall/Irvine apply the Protects. Against a single target you get the entire combo off in the first round at which point you're just spamming Double Cuts anyway, and against two targets you can Prot both and Deprot in the first turn.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 25, 2015

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

And the Poor Fucker of the Day award goes to...

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Bobulus posted:

And the Poor Fucker of the Day award goes to...

He definitely never played FFVIII.

I beat all the FFVIII non-event elites to get more exp for Irvine & Squall. You get so little, it's tough. I miss the Flans from Celes's event. They're at like 38 and I just beat the elite T-Rex in Squall's event. I want them to be 50 for NORG but ugghh grinding exp on Sunday isn't gonna be fun.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

gently caress

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I've seen a bunch of people mourning using good equipment on upgrades. But... how? How do you do that and not notice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Finally, a good reason to punch a teenager in the face!

You'll just have to be carefull next time.

But seriously, that's some rear end.

• Locked thread