Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Controlling Harley Quinn was kinda fun, and I actually was able to finish it because it all took place indoors. The DLC though took like 20 minutes to complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
Is there away to disable basically everything? Decrease draw distance? I want to cut off everything that isn't essential, so that at least I can play AR challenges, or something. Already done all I can through the game menu.

I mean, this is what I'm dealing with half the time:

Jam Gardan

Synonymous fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 25, 2015

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Hardcore bat fans, how do you pronounce Falcone? Whenever I read it in the comics I always had 'falconi' in my head, because Italian names, and Oracle just pronounced it that way too. Every other bat media hasn't done it like that though.

It's Falconi. It's Raysh not Raws. But pronunciations are all over the place between the different versions and who's talking.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

lovely Wizard posted:

DMC3 was so bad (outsourced to Ubisoft who then outsourced it to some cheapo japanese port studio) it made Capcom apologize and promise to make sure all future releases would shine on PC, and we got DMC4 with that PC exclusive shitload of enemy modes.

This was a loving nvidia "we are bundling this with all our loving top tier video cards and making god drat sure we beat amd with this game" gameworks game, so the fact that it turned out like this is even more wacky.

All Gameworks games run slow on every platform

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Wow - can't really recall (especially an AAA title) a port that was actually pulled from Steam for being so lovely.

:pcgaming: forever

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Hardcore bat fans, how do you pronounce Falcone? Whenever I read it in the comics I always had 'falconi' in my head, because Italian names, and Oracle just pronounced it that way too. Every other bat media hasn't done it like that though.
Since he's a Mafioso he might be Sicilian and they tend to drop the last vowels so it could go either way really

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Haha They stopped sales on Steam because the PC port is a piece of poo poo.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

QuantaStarFire posted:

owned

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Okay, dunno how far I am but I've just finished the first trip to the third island. I was messing around in the GCPD evidence room and I found a gadget I'd have found really useful earlier.

So here's the big question. Am I a huge idiot who should have picked that up much earlier? Or can you only get it later?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Anyone else find the creepy-rear end Solomon Grundy riddle?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Love the Metal Gear Solid reference. Bats? Bats?! BAAATTTSSSSSSS???

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Finished it. Here are my rambling thoughts on it.

- Batmobile is a horrendous mess and I hope whatever 'unfuck-the-game' patch they release fixes it. It's used in a couple of boss fights and the framerate drop stuttering makes them way harder than they probably are. The Batmobile is still a lot of fun if you can get it working properly. It'll run over everything and smash into walls taking chunks out. That aspect is really awesome, but as the game currently stands it sucks all the fun out of it.

- Texture pop-ins, level of detail getting stuck on low, etc, etc. Make no mistake this is a lovely release. I have a cop in the GCPD that has the green "Riddler" glow for no reason.

- Here are actual things you do ingame - "Press Space to Incinerate Joker" "Press E to Even the Odds" "Press Space to Pay Respects". A lot of people are doing "Press Refund to Get Your Money Back" and I don't blame them.

- There's a bullshit section where Scarecrow starts off "What do you seek in those tunnels Batman?" that I did 30+ times because you have to take on 5 drone tanks in a straight tunnel without the Batmobile. You will hate this section. It feels like something got cut out.. or a weapon is missing or something. Not sure if you had to be super stealthy here.. but to get there you transition from a massive action sequence and felt weird to go from the extreme end of the action scale, to the extreme end of the stealth scale.

- Game is a hilarious combination of Under the Red Hood, The Killing Joke and The Dark Knight Returns.

- If you don't see who the Arkham Knight is by the way he talks, you're an idiot. All the trailers and teasers are meant to make you think it's a brand new villain Rocksteady have created (Which would have been awesome) except it's just an existing character Jason Todd. I think they're being disingenuous for selling the game that way.

- Every game has a Crime Alley sequence. I'm tired of it. It's beyond meme worthy at this point. "MY PARENTS ARE DEADDDDD"

- Every game has Joker. I'm tired of it, but Mark Hamill does an amazing job once again. The way he's included is nicely done though. Hopefully he's gone for good now.

- "You're gonna die tonight Bats!" "Batman, you're already dead. You just don't know it yet" threats from the big bads don't carry a lot of weight when you've beaten up over a 1000 of they're guys in a single night. They're going for higher and higher stake scenarios with each game in the series and it just doesn't work. The entire city is overrun with criminals.. Except the guys on the street are literal cannon fodder for the Batmobile. This should be an absolute nightmare scenario for Batman, but nothing feels threatening. Ever.

- Arkham Knight literally has Batman dead-to-rights at gunpoint MULTIPLE times and lets him go for increasingly bizarre reasons. He wants to watch Batman suffer while he ruins the city.. like some bizarre take on Bane from The Dark Knight Rises... Why don't you just kneecap him, break his arms, then make him watch while you do it...

- The 'What-a-twiiiissst' moment at the end of the game where everyone now knows Batman is Bruce Wayne due to a demasking was stupidly easily to avoid if Robin was let out of the loving isolation unit you imprison him in, after you rescue Barbara Gordon (Who never actually died) and said "Yeah I know I'm trippin balls on Joker Blood happy-fun-time juice, but lets beat-up Scarecrow together and then you can put me in isolation while we figure out a cure". I actually went back there after I rescued them, and he's just standing there. You can't interact with him.

- Robin/Nightwing/Cat-woman partner-ups is the better game gimmick and they should have focused on that instead of adding in the Batmobile. It would have been a lot of fun. An entire game with a permanent sidekick? Yes please.

Overall it may seem like I'm being super harsh on the game, but it's still a ton of fun to play. However the story is passable at best, and all the glaring bugs really do need to be fixed up ASAP. and it's not going to be remembered as the best game in the series.
I think I'd rank it 3rd behind Cities. Simply because the story is so loving bizarre.

The best game in the series is clearly Arkham Asylum. It's pretty much the perfect Batman game. Please play that game. Because it is good. Really really really good.
The map is small, the story is top-notch, and an overrun asylum makes so much more sense than an City.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 25, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Infinitum posted:

The best game in the series is clearly Arkham Asylum. It's pretty much the perfect Batman game. Please play that game. Because it is good. Really really really good.
The map is small, the story is top-notch, and an overrun asylum makes so much more sense than an City.

I'd say Arkham Knight is a lot better than Asylum. Granted, I haven't beaten this yet, but everybody has a different experience. I'll say the combat, gameplay in general really, Arkham Knight is by far the best for me. As Batman at least, though personally I do enjoy the Armored Core mecha tank strafing battles as random as they may be. But Batman himself has never been smoother I'd say. Granted, story is a big part of a game like this too, but I did not find the stories in the previous games to be anything special. Just a pretty standard but fun Bat cameo pastiche, but hey.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

QuantaStarFire posted:

haha holy poo poo

Heavy Metal posted:

I'd say Arkham Knight is a lot better than Asylum. Granted, I haven't beaten this yet, but everybody has a different experience. I'll say the combat, gameplay in general really, Arkham Knight is by far the best for me. As Batman at least, though personally I do enjoy the Armored Core mecha tank strafing battles as random as they may be. But Batman himself has never been smoother I'd say. Granted, story is a big part of a game like this too, but I did not find the stories in the previous games to be anything special. Just a pretty standard but fun Bat cameo pastiche, but hey.

I'm replaying Arkham Origins again and this game looks loads better and really Origins looked pretty amazing when it came out. Slowly going through the story in Arkham Knight but I think I'll hold off until a patch comes out.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

Infinitum posted:

I have a cop in the GCPD that has the green "Riddler" glow for no reason.

Because that dude is actually a Riddler informant, you can interrogate him.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

McDragon posted:

Okay, dunno how far I am but I've just finished the first trip to the third island. I was messing around in the GCPD evidence room and I found a gadget I'd have found really useful earlier.

So here's the big question. Am I a huge idiot who should have picked that up much earlier? Or can you only get it later?

You can get that as soon as you go there. It's not required to get it until nearly the endgame, though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Kaddion posted:

Because that dude is actually a Riddler informant, you can interrogate him.

I don't think it allows you to do it early on, since I remember trying to interrogate him when I first saw the glow, but I think you're allowed to later on as you start to become more 'unstable.'

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So far, I gotta say Asylum is the best all around bat game. City was cool, but they really force the batmobile in this one.

Also Asylum has Cree Summer, and she doesn't get near enough AAA work.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

I dunno.. I think the story might just be suffering from how lovely this PC port is.
Batmobile is a lot of fun, but the partner teamups are wayyyyyyy better.

Least I learnt my lesson. Never ever, ever, ever, ever preorder a game.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
The last game I preordered before Arkham Knight? Sim City 2013.

Godamn everything.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I don't think it allows you to do it early on, since I remember trying to interrogate him when I first saw the glow, but I think you're allowed to later on as you start to become more 'unstable.'

So Batman just roughs up a cop in the middle of the GCPD and headbutts him unconscious in front of everyone? :allears:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Infinitum posted:

I dunno.. I think the story might just be suffering from how lovely this PC port is.
Batmobile is a lot of fun, but the partner teamups are wayyyyyyy better.

Least I learnt my lesson. Never ever, ever, ever, ever preorder a game.
Oh yeah, I am playing on the PS4 for the record. And I could always use more Catwoman in the game, hell they should make a Catwoman game. Could be a cool mix of the crime game genre and vigilante hero genre... somebody make that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So Batman just roughs up a cop in the middle of the GCPD and headbutts him unconscious in front of everyone? :allears:

The cops pull their guns on him until Batman gets him to spill the beans.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Heavy Metal posted:

Oh yeah, I am playing on the PS4 for the record. And I could always use more Catwoman in the game, hell they should make a Catwoman game. Could be a cool mix of the crime game genre and vigilante hero genre... somebody make that.

It'll turn out like the movie. Basketball scene and all.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Checking back; pages and pages of how PC Gamers (master race) can't get their video cards or drivers or whatever in order and not enough gameplay discussion or tips and tricks that one would expect in a megathread.

The Batmobile (well, the Tumbler. I wouldn't call that thing the Batmobile, really) controls Just Fine* with an Xbox One controller, by the way. It's obviously not designed for keyboards.

*Just Fine is a relative term, however. Rocksteady not allowing controller remapping is a... poor choice. LB and D-Pad Down need to be switched, to start, and whole I get that holding the left trigger enables Battle Mode it flies in the face of every other game with a driving element ever. That I can think of.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

QuantaStarFire posted:

Steam Refunds might just spell the end of bad game launches.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The cops pull their guns on him until Batman gets him to spill the beans.

Please tell me you have a clip of this.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

doctor 7 posted:

I'm replaying Arkham Origins again and this game looks loads better and really Origins looked pretty amazing when it came out.

Origins has aged well, and I know that sounds stupid for a game being less than two years old. I can remember being incredibly lukewarm on the game when it came out, and I was/still am a humongous Batman whore full of forgiveness. I don't know what's changed in the ~2 years since its release but after replaying it for the first time this year it really flowed better. I think maybe I let all the negative press at the time affect my perception of the game. I also appreciate how it's acknowledged in Arkham Knight and really makes then entire Arkham oeuvre feel like a unified whole. Maybe WB Montreal snuck in some patches that took the rough edges off the game and that's why I like it so much more now. I was ready to pretend it doesn't exist, but now I'm happy to have it in my Steam library.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Checking back; pages and pages of how PC Gamers (master race) can't get their video cards or drivers or whatever in order and not enough gameplay discussion or tips and tricks that one would expect in a megathread.

Warner Brothers purposely hosed up the PC port by giving it to the developer 2 months before it released. They didn't know Valve was going to introduce refunds until it was too late.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

Yeah I finished it on PC and it is super-not-fun-happy-times. It is an ultra-crappy port.
I lucked into a PC that can somehow play it alright, but my gameplay experience is marred because of how janky it runs.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I dont think its going to take until fall to fix the game, those are two separate pieces of information.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Malloreon posted:

Steam Refunds might just spell the end of bad game launches.

Or publishers might be convinced to start their own digital distribution platform, ala EA Origin or Ubisoft Uplay.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Please tell me that the holding cell you through villains into just keeps getting more crowded.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Funky Valentine posted:

Please tell me that the holding cell you through villains into just keeps getting more crowded.

There's a board that shows how much space they have left for "thugs" and supervillians.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

It does!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Please tell me you have a clip of this.

I don't, sorry.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

:negative:

Hopefully that guy who does all of the Arkham games will upload that part soon.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ImpAtom posted:

It does!
Do they eventually start having funny conversations.

If they do then holy poo poo this game owns balls.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm only halfway through and it already looks like a zoo for psychopaths

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

Do they eventually start having funny conversations.

If they do then holy poo poo this game owns balls.

They do! There's also tons of goofy easter eggs with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I think Asylum is the best because it was focused on the best things about the series: the melee combat and the predator rooms. Every room was basically a designed encounter, and that's way harder to do in an open world. I like City and Knight, but the design in the first game was pretty great.

I think the Batmobile is merely ok, and during the riddler races it feels like you are controlling a cheap, light toy.

• Locked thread