Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Khagan posted:

Can you stagger bosses? Cause I can't decide what runes to put on my swords.
I dont know if I have ever staggered a boss, but I would go with Attack Power, generic Sign Intensity, Specialized Sign Intensity, orrrr one other I cannot think of...

edit: part of my previous post on the subject:

Bort Bortles posted:

For the swords I am leaning a Perun (+5% Adrenaline gain), a Chernobog (+5% Attack Power), and a Veles (+5% Sign Intensity); or simply loading up on three of each of one of those (most likely three Veles because sign intensity is my weakest aspect), but I like the idea of enhancing my adrenaline gain and attack power a bit more (synergizing with my armor and sword perks) and adding a little sign intensity for variety's sake.
For the armor I am not seeing many options and am thinking Greater Glyphs of Quen in all 7 slots since I use Quen so much out of laziness, but I am open to other suggestions.
In my opinion those three (Perun, Chernobog, and Veles) stack the best with abilities you probably already have from the school talent + witcher armors. Bleeding/Freezing/Burning seem more niche to me; I prefer to stack up one great bonus or enhance bonuses I already have (which the three above did for my build and will do for most character builds).

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Yeah, but Yenn knows what she's doing, have some faith.

My faith in Yen ended the minute the game revealed that she was telling the truth about keeping the gaudy-rear end stuffed sex unicorn

Geralt gazing wistfully at it first and then Yen after the fact was kinda funny though.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 24, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

My faith in Yen ended the minute the game revealed that she was telling the truth about keeping the gaudy-rear end stuffed sex unicorn

Geralt gazing wistfully at it first and then Yen after the fact was kinda funny though.

For me, that was when I knew I could trust her word.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Haha I just remembered the unicorn is mentioned in the very first post-tutorial scene where you're at the campfire with Vesemir and show him Yen's letter. He asks Geralt, but it's personal ;)

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So as someone who didn't play the other two games is the unicorn a callback to a previous game?

Because I lol'd when I found it the first time, but even moreso when it's true purpose was revealed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Pellisworth posted:

Haha I just remembered the unicorn is mentioned in the very first post-tutorial scene where you're at the campfire with Vesemir and show him Yen's letter. He asks Geralt, but it's personal ;)

Why would you withhold secrets from your oldest witcher friend :mad:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

JetsGuy posted:

So as someone who didn't play the other two games is the unicorn a callback to a previous game?

Because I lol'd when I found it the first time, but even moreso when it's true purpose was revealed.

I don't think so but maybe it's a book reference. Yen is only mentioned in the previous two games and not in much detail, Geralt still has plot amnesia.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I dont remember the Unicorn or much about Yennefer at all being mentioned in Witcher 1 or 2 so I imagine it is a callback to a book/the books.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I missed the unicorn sex scene because I thought it was more important to go back to the wake. :flaccid:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I was curious to see how they would incorporate the unicorn and boy did I find out. It looked very uncomfortable and not particularly sexy. But then again I have never had sex on top of a unicorn stuffed or not so I wouldn't know from personal experience.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

CJacobs posted:

I was curious to see how they would incorporate the unicorn and boy did I find out. It looked very uncomfortable and not particularly sexy. But then again I have never had sex on top of a unicorn stuffed or not so I wouldn't know from personal experience.

Keep in mind Yen is literally a sorceress with a magic bra. I'm sure she could always cast a spell of some sort if poo poo wasn't working right.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I imagine it's something like this, but with less green screen:
:nws: http://www.aux.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/INEEDANADULT.gif :nws:

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
Lambert,

bud,

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Wow Yen is an awful person

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Million Ghosts posted:

She's one step above Radovid...literally the Witcher Hitler.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, I just went on a drinking binge with my Witcher buddies, ending up with prank calling some Mage in his chambers, while we are crossdressing in Yennefer's dresses.This game and that scene is just loving fantastic..

Goddamn it I was too Yen whipped irl to do that. I thought it might be a fail trigger for future unicorn riding

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

CJacobs posted:

Why would you withhold secrets from your oldest witcher friend :mad:

"That's private. That's very private" is probably my favourite line in the entire game for just how sheepish Geralt sounds.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

poptart_fairy posted:

"That's private. That's very private" is probably my favourite line in the entire game for just how sheepish Geralt sounds.

you smell wonderful at this funeral

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Million Ghosts posted:

Meanwhile, Philppa is the best mean person ever.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Philippa is hilarious in her awfulness, Yen is just an awful bitch to everyone around her.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Million Ghosts posted:

Philippa is hilarious in her awfulness, Yen is just an awful bitch to everyone around her.

Yeah, this. I think it's Vesemir who says 'I get that she's a powerful sorceress who has been emancipated, but are manners too much to ask for?'

I thought I'd dumped Yen after turning her down for sex at Kaer Morhen but, welp. Guess not.

Popcornicus
Nov 22, 2007

Not reading the thread because it looks like people are posting spoilers and I'm only in Velen. Can someone PM me the best way to get black pearl dust for crafting lesser runestones?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Popcornicus posted:

Not reading the thread because it looks like people are posting spoilers and I'm only in Velen. Can someone PM me the best way to get black pearl dust for crafting lesser runestones?

rather than PM I will just suggest: don't bother

Everything to do with runestones and wards is really expensive for not very much benefit. Loot scales with level so you'll start picking up regular and Greater runes/wards shortly. You have to pay to remove enchants and I think doing so destroys the enchants? IMO just hang onto runes as you go and when you can combine to Greater use those. Not worth crafting or socketing anything less than Greater, the cost is really steep relative to the bonuses.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Hey do you guys know if you can get The Baron's unique Gwent card through any other means or am I hosed? I ignored Gwent for the majority of my game but now that I beat it I'm actually starting to collect the Gwent cards, but I missed my chance to play with the Baron.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Accordion Man posted:

Hey do you guys know if you can get The Baron's unique Gwent card through any other means or am I hosed? I ignored Gwent for the majority of my game but now that I beat it I'm actually starting to collect the Gwent cards, but I missed my chance to play with the Baron.

Check in his room.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

drunk witchers own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv-fDIgiVlQ

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
So for the first part of the Bloody Baron stuff, this second time through I found the shrine in the basement, is Geralt supposed to say anything about it and should it change any dialog? Nothing happened for me. This is when he lets you inspect the rooms.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

dyzzy posted:

So for the first part of the Bloody Baron stuff, this second time through I found the shrine in the basement, is Geralt supposed to say anything about it and should it change any dialog? Nothing happened for me. This is when he lets you inspect the rooms.

Search Tamara's room first before the Baron's.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yeah, that's how I got the key. No dialog except for the doll though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Poetic Justice posted:

Check in his room.
Ah, already grabbed it then. Thanks!

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
I think how polarizing Yen is, is a demonstration of just how well her character is written. For me, it's not even close between her and Tries: Yen is lightyears ahead, and I can't even wrap my brain around how you could think otherwise. But I appreciate that not everyone feels that way, and it just goes to show what great character building this game has

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Popcornicus posted:

Go find a coast and start swimming for clams.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Turds in magma posted:

I think how polarizing Yen is, is a demonstration of just how well her character is written. For me, it's not even close between her and Tries: Yen is lightyears ahead, and I can't even wrap my brain around how you could think otherwise. But I appreciate that not everyone feels that way, and it just goes to show what great character building this game has

At least Triss shows, you know, basic respect to people instead of treating everyone like worms and pawns.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Turds in magma posted:

Well it's pretty easy to just say "Geralt was with Triss for TW1 and TW2, so I'll stick with her, who the hell is Yen anyway?", since Triss' quests will probably be done before Yen's.

I really would have liked to know what happened in "that conversation six months ago" between Triss and Geralt. I'd imagine it had something to do with Geralt realizing that he'd been had. That left me quite confused until someone else pointed out that it wasn't something I'd somehow missed at the end of the 2nd game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

pik_d posted:

Well it's pretty easy to just say "Geralt was with Triss for TW1 and TW2, so I'll stick with her, who the hell is Yen anyway?", since Triss' quests will probably be done before Yen's.

I really would have liked to know what happened in "that conversation six months ago" between Triss and Geralt. I'd imagine it had something to do with Geralt realizing that he'd been had. That left me quite confused until someone else pointed out that it wasn't something I'd somehow missed at the end of the 2nd game.
I got a better idea of what that entailed when I found a wilted Rose of Remembrance (Witcher 2 reference) in Triss's room.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Million Ghosts posted:

At least Triss shows, you know, basic respect to people instead of treating everyone like worms and pawns.

See that's exactly why she's so damned sexy

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I had a feeling all you weird Yen lovers were not-so-closet subs so thank you for comfirming.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Just got a PS4 and this game, never played a Witcher game, enjoying not knowing ANYTHING about a game, want to keep it that way. So, in that spirit, just got one small question so I can play this game right.

Is it a good idea to just hang out in White Orchard and do EVERYTHING before moving on? Or is that similar to 100%ing the Hinterlands in DA:I? Just don't know how I should handle progression in this game. Feels weird.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

cams posted:

Just got a PS4 and this game, never played a Witcher game, enjoying not knowing ANYTHING about a game, want to keep it that way. So, in that spirit, just got one small question so I can play this game right.

Is it a good idea to just hang out in White Orchard and do EVERYTHING before moving on? Or is that similar to 100%ing the Hinterlands in DA:I? Just don't know how I should handle progression in this game. Feels weird.

Do whatever you feel like doing is probably the best advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noirex
May 30, 2006

cams posted:

I think level 6 is a good time to leave but I explored and finished everything at 9 as there is zero reason to rush through the content. At least do all the Places of Power question marks on your map though. They are incredibly useful. And if you blow up monster nests remember to loot them.