Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I put together Jeff Hoogland's Mardu deck and it owns.

Played at the SCG open in Indy on Saturday, came in 172nd, heh. It was fun. Went 5-4 with an Abzan control deck. I tested Mardu a bunch today vs. bant heroic and Abzan megamorph, and I have to say that I like it. Burning people over and over with Soulfire Grandmaster and gaining the life each time is great. Crackling doom gets rid of rhinos and coursers and big heroic protection guys. Rabblemasters pooping out tokens and then eventually slamming them once they're out of blockers is great as well.

The sideboard is awesome, but I didn't try it yet. Anger of the Gods is gonna wreck raptors and den protectors. Glare of heresy for the wayward rhinos. I'm not sure what I would do vs. esper dragons, because only one or two people around here play that. I definitely want to test. This deck clicks for me more than abzan aggro and control have. I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Rinkles posted:

2(?)BG

Elf Shaman

When ~ enters the battlefield, target opponent loses life equal to the number of Elves you control. (I think)

3/2(?)

Whoa. I'm already splashing black in Modern Elves for Abrupt Decay so I'm definitely going to try a few of these in it. Wish it was cmc 3 though.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Zemyla posted:

Nah, you missed the point. Jace damaged his own mind to attack Alhamarret. It's like luring him into a building, and then ordering a controlled demolition.

EDIT: Also, I like this explanation for Jace's amnesia better than just "He wanted to forget, so he wiped his own mind." Also, I get the feeling that, with the loss of two of Vryn's most powerful arbiters, the war will turn from relatively cold to boiling.

Sorry about that but you are correct. I read the 2nd half of that while I was supposed to be paying attention to something else.

I think an equally likely outcome will be that when we finally visit Vryn, the factions will find that the arbiters have been playing them and turn against them. No matter who controls the mana rings, the arbiters always come out on top.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Nastier Nate posted:

They get into a battle of wits

No wonder Jace mills so much! He got Alhamarret below 249 cards right in time!

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Ultima66 posted:

Isn't that just Ender's Game?

What? You're going to have to explain the connection, here.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

No wonder Jace mills so much! He got Alhamarret below 249 cards right in time!

*Two hundred :eng101:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

For a 4 drop Tithes could be kinda brutal

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
You could probably only play Archangel in Mono-W but it's pretty good for a 4-drop. Also nice that it's not Legendary so getting multiples on the board could really slow your opponent down. Also if a Mono-W Devotion deck happens to exist in these last few months of Theros in Standard.

Edit: You could build a deck of the good W 2/1's (including new Gideon), Anafenza, Brimaz, Archangel, Spear, and then dump the Nykthos mana into Mastery of the Unseen or Heliod. Just spitballing.

qbert fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 25, 2015

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Actually if you cheat the new Angel can be fit into any kind of deck

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Yeah, the story actually got me to like Jace, which I would have thought impossible. Vryn seems like a cool plane too; it does a good job of being the sci-fi plane without being actual sci-fi.

:agreed:

Kid Jace actually not a horribly written character.

Edit: Also today after going 2-2 and placing 9th in a top 8 Modern tournament I was subjected to some spectating of Flip and Rip.

First was 4 straight games, one of them a tie going to a fifth, of Conspiracy. An Exploration was ripped and a Stifle, Misdirection, and a couple other things were flipped.

Then came Modern Masters 2015, in which a Fulminator Mage, Ulamog, and bunch of bulk poo poo was flipped, they tied twice. A foil Kozilek was ripped. It's in the store case for all to see.

It was thrilling, stupid, but thrilling, so I can understand why people enjoy it so much now.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 25, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
That Angel looks like it's straight out of a future Commander product but I do like it, 4 CMC is pretty aggressive for what seems like more a control effect though I guess it also makes blocking more difficult when you attack.

E: I kind of want to run it in the super-janky monowhite Turbofog list I have in Modern. Would giving it Vigilance to make both modes always active (outside of creature-tapping mayhem) be too strong?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 25, 2015

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Archangel seems ok

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

ShadeofBlue posted:

What? You're going to have to explain the connection, here.

Brilliant kid gets bullied for being really smart and different from everyone. Gets confronted by bullies, then fucks them up. He gets in trouble but then gets picked up by the authority to undergo training because of his brilliance. Authority leads him through a bunch of training and tasks while keeping a lot of things secret from him, and eventually he finds out he was being misled the entire time, then runs off to be in solitude.

I mean sure Ender didn't kill Graff but the characters are similar in a lot of ways. Alhammaret was manipulating Jace for his own selfish means while Graff's motivations were way more complicated. But they were both loners who no one liked because they were smarter than everyone around them who got trained and then led to doing a bunch of poo poo unknowingly by an authority figure.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
RDW basically can't beat that Archangel other than by winning before it hits the board.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Not that RDW has been a deck of late, mind you.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sometimes its hard to be a red deck, giving all your love to just one man

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Count Bleck posted:

There is always a flare of RDW with a new Standard though. It's the default, cheep and easy deck.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Most Spell Mastery effects so far have been rather boring.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Gridlocked posted:

There is always a flare of RDW with a new Standard though. It's the default, cheep and easy deck.

Oh yeah definitely but we haven't seen a whole lot Red wants to play with besides that Enchantment that finds itself when the creature it's attached to dies.

And <3 Man.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Count Bleck posted:

It's the most popular deck on MTGO

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk
http://lrcast.com/magic-origins-exclusive-preview-cards/

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Topan is nice.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Remember when people got their hopes up that The Last Core Set would reprint dope cards like Baneslayer Angel? :smith:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Equilibrium posted:

Remember when people got their hopes up that The Last Core Set would reprint dope cards like Baneslayer Angel? :smith:

Baneslayer can gently caress off and stay out of standard. Man, that card sucked and doesn't add anything to the meta here except a giant middle finger to dragons, which isn't even needed.

I have to wonder if we'll get some sneaky combat tricks to enable some evasion for these guys. I can't see how limited would play out otherwise.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Vigilance seems like a pretty common theme among these Renown guys.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
White is getting some really good bears

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.

Sucks that we won't get a card with that cool-rear end lion.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Stop making me try and play GW aggro again, Wizards. :saddowns:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ungulateman posted:

Stop making me try and play GW aggro again, Wizards. :saddowns:

this card should not make want to play GW aggro because it is not good, except in limited

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Elyv posted:

this card should not make want to play GW aggro because it is not good, except in limited

Well, the art is pretty at least. And who knows, no one thought heroic would be constructed levels of good, but it happened due to the proper mix of cards and a metagame ready for it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ramos posted:

Well, the art is pretty at least. And who knows, no one thought heroic would be constructed levels of good, but it happened due to the proper mix of cards and a metagame ready for it.

This card's ceiling is a 1GW 4/5 Vigilance. That is not a bad card, but it's not good enough to make up for the base case of being a 1GW 2/3 vigilance

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Show me the cheap walls.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Battlewise Hoplite is a baseline 2/2 for WU. Still made it into standard. I'm not saying renown will be good (or bad), but this is some of the most preemptive tossing aside I've seen with a mechanic that is really, really meta dependent.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

baseline 2/2 for 2 is significantly better than baseline 2/3 for 3. I see no reason why there can't be constructed playable cards with renown but I don't think this 1GW guy is one.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Angry Grimace posted:

It's the most popular deck on MTGO

It's always the most popular deck on MTGO because it's the budget deck and also finishes rounds quickly.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Foreskin Problems posted:

Sucks that we won't get a card with that cool-rear end lion.

I think knights riding lions into battle is a bant thing, cf knight of the white orchid.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Rinkles posted:

Show me the cheap walls.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=159103

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I love the fact that from a flavor perspective, the way renown works implies that a soldier can be the most valiant and skilled veteran ever, slaughtering dozens of opposing champions, and whenever she tries to get any recognition for it it's like "Yeah, but did you put a scratch on the enemy wizard? I don't think so. GTFO, scrub."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

JerryLee posted:

I love the fact that from a flavor perspective, the way renown works implies that a soldier can be the most valiant and skilled veteran ever, slaughtering dozens of opposing champions, and whenever she tries to get any recognition for it it's like "Yeah, but did you put a scratch on the enemy wizard? I don't think so. GTFO, scrub."

No one gives a poo poo that you shot like thirty Nazi platoons, that's just war. Now, if you kick Hitler in the balls, that's heroism.

• Locked thread