Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

giorno really is his father's son

Which one? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

This has always seemed like a cool layout to me

And find a way to read the chapters called Guard Westwood's secret in part 6 if you want violence

hatty fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 24, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Doppio was a sweater the whole time!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

:)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Nooooooooo! Polnareff! :smith:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sekkira posted:

I'm sure they'd be different in obscure ways.

Also, decided to watch Heroes with a friend again. Every time Hiro stops time, I keep thinking "ZA WARUDO!". I am somewhat disappointed that there are no edits of The World as his stand.

There's no real reason to edit it when it's already in the show. He says "mudamudamudamuda" in one of the episodes. In the tie in blog, he talks about loving JoJos.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

hatty posted:

This has always seemed like a cool layout to me
I love that they used this for Diavolo's stage entrance in ASB.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Shukaro posted:

Part 6 is pretty much that.

Jolyne Owns.

FirstAidKite posted:

Part 6 is just hardcore all around. Jolyne really knows how to take a hit.

While we're at it:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Is it bad that I can't tell what happened? :ohdear: Did Jolene set herself on fire?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Xibanya posted:

What that's meant to prove is that overall, Dragonball has much stronger clarity of form (it's easier to tell what the drawings are supposed to represent.) That does not mean, however, that Dragonball's art is better or that Jojo's art is hard to read. The reason why Jojo is much less clear than Dragonball is because it has features that make it much more intense. Per Scott McCloud's "Making Comics," intensity comes at the expense of clarity. If the artist pulls it off, it's well worth the trade-off.
I'm actually glad you addressed this, since back when I was reading your art of Dragon Ball posts the first comic I pulled off my shelf to compare was Jojo...which didn't exactly hold up well to the silhouette experiment. I wondered at that time, but didn't ask, about your opinion of Araki's art. I'm pleased to see he gets a good grade, albeit for different reasons.

Something else I'm glad you've touched on is Jotaro. A lot of people like to complain about his stoic personality, some even saying he has no personality, but I've always felt he just never wore much of it on his sleeve. He's cool-headed and composed, sure, but you can find little hints as to who he is underneath if you read closely enough - and Part 3 is perhaps my most reread part, so I've certainly had time to get to know him closely. When I learned Araki's inspiration for Jotaro was Clint Eastwood, it made perfect sense.

I doodle quite a bit in my spare time, but I'm no artist. I lack the language and the knowledge necessary to analyze things panel to panel, down to the brushstrokes, so I'm happy to learn from you that Araki reinforces Jotaro's inner emotions through his artwork as well as his writing.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Xibanya posted:

Is it bad that I can't tell what happened? :ohdear: Did Jolene set herself on fire?

Yup, that's what she needed the lighter for.

Also spoilers, but this is not the craziest thing she does in order to turn the tables on someone. Jolyne owns.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Xibanya posted:

The enemy's Stand works by sapping their body heat or something, so yes, Jolyene sets herself on fire to counterattack the effects.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Why would you post that version when you could post this one?
I will say don't read the fourth page if you don't want a spoiler on who the bad guy is in Part 6

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's worth noting the Stand User sets himself on fire after that. :allears:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Senor Candle posted:

Why would you post that version when you could post this one?
I will say don't read the fourth page if you don't want a spoiler on who the bad guy is in Part 6

:iia:

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm actually glad you addressed this, since back when I was reading your art of Dragon Ball posts the first comic I pulled off my shelf to compare was Jojo...which didn't exactly hold up well to the silhouette experiment. I wondered at that time, but didn't ask, about your opinion of Araki's art. I'm pleased to see he gets a good grade, albeit for different reasons.

Yep, you picked one of the exceptions that prove the rule. Jojo's intensity is really hard to do well. What I've noticed with a lot of amateur artists (like the kids I knew in art classes in high school...including myself) and some professional artists (people on B and C-list DC/Marvel titles, I'm looking at you) is that they read a comic like Jojo and are blown away by what an incredible experience it is and try to bottle that magic in their own comics. What they end up doing is taking their comic and then splattering on a bunch of panel breaks, speed lines, close up shots of faces, long vertical panels, and so on because they feel like that's just what you're supposed to do rather than realizing the specific application of each of those techniques. Each one of those techniques reduces the clarity of the comic. If all these art intensifiers aren't also intensifying the narrative itself, then you wind up with a huge mess. I'd call it cargo-cult comicbooking. Historically you can look back at the grimdarkification of the 90s, and a lot of that goes back to people being blown away by The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen and wanting to recreate some of that magic. Then suddenly pouches and tiny feet out the yin-yang.

quote:

Something else I'm glad you've touched on is Jotaro. A lot of people like to complain about his stoic personality, some even saying he has no personality, but I've always felt he just never wore much of it on his sleeve. He's cool-headed and composed, sure, but you can find little hints as to who he is underneath if you read closely enough - and Part 3 is perhaps my most reread part, so I've certainly had time to get to know him closely. When I learned Araki's inspiration for Jotaro was Clint Eastwood, it made perfect sense.

In a way I can't blame people. In most shonen, what you see is what you get, and trying to read anything deeper than a surface reading is really barking up the wrong tree and maybe trying too hard to justify liking a kid's show. One of the most annoying aspects of most shonen is that even though most characters' designs are simple enough that their facial expressions are unmistakable, characters are usually always narrating exactly how they feel, so readers are basically trained to not make any inferences about any main characters' inner life. With Jojo you have to approach it like a live-action film, a Clint Eastwood movie, perhaps? :haw: People are used to not having their hand held and being asked to make some inferences when watching a movie, my only guess is that it's the medium and genre throwing everybody off.

quote:

I doodle quite a bit in my spare time, but I'm no artist. I lack the language and the knowledge necessary to analyze things panel to panel, down to the brushstrokes.
Both my grandfather and my mother were painters, so I have the advantage of being steeped in this stuff, but anybody can learn the language of art. I didn't major in art and now I work in IT. Keep doodling and keep improving!

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I like the bits where Kira starts thinking he may have feelings for Shinobu. :shobon:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Kira has a cute cat

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
The poo poo Jolyne does to Westwood is extremely gross on a visceral level, enjoy!

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

How is the Part 3 official release? I'm thinking of ordering physical copies off of Amazon. Support the official release and all that stuff.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's good.

They censored two dog deaths, changed a few names (Steely Dan, Enya, Oingo Boingo), and took part in the post-Quran outburst Cairo edits, but otherwise it's good.

Give them money so that we can get Part 4.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

It's good.

They censored two dog deaths, changed a few names (Steely Dan, Enya, Oingo Boingo), and took part in the post-Quran outburst Cairo edits, but otherwise it's good.

Give them money so that we can get Part 4.

Done

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

littleorv posted:

How is the Part 3 official release? I'm thinking of ordering physical copies off of Amazon. Support the official release and all that stuff.

If you want to wait a bit they are currently releasing Jojoniums which are hardcover versions of the volumes starting with Phantom Blood. One comes out only every couple of months so it will be a while before they get through Stardust Crusaders. I haven't seen anyone really complain about the old SC release, but if you want to try one out it is all available digitally on comixology as well.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Senor Candle posted:

If you want to wait a bit they are currently releasing Jojoniums which are hardcover versions of the volumes starting with Phantom Blood. One comes out only every couple of months so it will be a while before they get through Stardust Crusaders. I haven't seen anyone really complain about the old SC release, but if you want to try one out it is all available digitally on comixology as well.

I just ordered the first three volumes already lol

I will definitely do that for Battle Tendency when they get to it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I have 4 volumes of Part 3 but stopped there in hopes of Jojonium versions. They're still getting my money for Parts 1 & 2, and the upcoming DVD/figures though.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

They already have my money for the DVD's. I bought them in a drunken haze while I was in Vegas.

I'm going through part 4 now and it's really good. Some unique stands compared to part 3.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Xibanya posted:

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate it. I'm still a newcomer to JJBA and I'm reading the Viz editions of the manga, which means I haven't looked much at part 4 on. If anyone knows of good examples from any part of the series of unusual panel sizes and layouts, particularly insane poses, gruesome fights, or anything else that might be a good example of Jojo's intensity, let me know.

You've probably been reading Phantom Blood too, but I was looking over it again for things to potentially write about and I was wondering if you were going to bring up Araki's emphasis on "This story has two protagonists", with how the story centers about both Jonathan and Dio, how Araki gives equal screen time to the both of them and their feelings, how that's emphasized through periodic cuts to show close ups of them right to each other as the story goes on, stuff like that.

I noticed that Araki is doing this "new" thing since Steel Ball Run where if a character is completely focused on something else or is really bothered by something (I'm not really sure what it's supposed to signify), there's a white out effect. Like, the character will be simplified and have little to no detail to them at all. I'm sure other people here will know what I'm talking about, but I think it's an interesting effect.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

BaDandy posted:

You've probably been reading Phantom Blood too, but I was looking over it again for things to potentially write about and I was wondering if you were going to bring up Araki's emphasis on "This story has two protagonists", with how the story centers about both Jonathan and Dio, how Araki gives equal screen time to the both of them and their feelings, how that's emphasized through periodic cuts to show close ups of them right to each other as the story goes on, stuff like that.

I hadn't planned to initially, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to dive into the actual thematic content of the different narratives. If I'm not Jojo'd out by the time I finish the other planned topics I will definitely turn to that next!

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Yukako Yamagishi is certainly reminding me of my high school days. This chapter owns.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

littleorv posted:

Yukako Yamagishi is certainly reminding me of my high school days. This chapter owns.

What the gently caress happened to you in high school

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

littleorv posted:

The hell was your high school like?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

What the gently caress happened to you in high school

BlitzBlast posted:

The hell was your high school like?

It was... Good.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The real question is whether Littleorv was Koichi or Yukako.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

The real question is whether Littleorv was Koichi or Yukako.

Well koichi was made in the 80s and yukako was made in the 90s and littleorv is young soooo

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Can someone explain how Koichi was able to call Josuke with his stand? It doesn't make sense to me.

Also, c'mon I'm sure everyone here had at least one weirdo stalker in highschool. Mine was pretty aggressive though not quite to this extent.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

littleorv posted:

Can someone explain how Koichi was able to call Josuke with his stand? It doesn't make sense to me.

What about it confuses you?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

What about it confuses you?

It slapped the dial tone sound onto her arm right? But how did that make it call Josuke's house?

Koichi is the real protagonist of part 4 isn't he? I'm okay with that because I like him.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

littleorv posted:

Also, c'mon I'm sure everyone here had at least one weirdo stalker in highschool. Mine was pretty aggressive though not quite to this extent.

He planted dial tones and his voice on Yukako. Koichi is apparently a phone phreaker that has memorized dial tones.

Edit: you know how every time you hit a number on a touch tone phone? Each number has a different tone and if you play those tones into a phone it will dial that number.

WrightOfWay fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 25, 2015

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

littleorv posted:

It slapped the dial tone sound onto her arm right? But how did that make it call Josuke's house?

Phreaking, it's like uhh loving with the phone by doing things to manipulate it in a way that wasn't necessarily intended. Stuff like making the phone hear certain tones so it assumes it must have dialed those numbers.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Oh I didn't realize there was such a thing as phreaking. I googled it and I understand now, thank you. Now it is time to go back to reading Jojo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
the real protagonist of Part 4 is the town of Morioh.