Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
appalachian mountain people are pretty much hippies that never felt the need to go to a concert and embarrass themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dreylad posted:

i like it a lot because I have no understanding of what a good film is

And I do but I'm always interested in editing and shot composition. Scene/character design and costuming I've already got a good handle on, but the communicating ideas through motion or how people stand in the frame or whatever, that I'm a bit sketchier on

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

PupsOfWar posted:

lo, and the roosevelt said "I will electrify your hollers and protect your coal miners' right to unionize, and in return you must grant me only two things: your votes, and the blood of your sons to spend in the wars of my nation". In this way, the roosevelt became honored as King of Mountain and Dale

I am fairly pleased to say my family didn't make any money off coal mining at any point.

We created all of our wealth from construction in the 50's, 60's and 70's building houses, gas stations, banks, and lots of government contracting. Then dad went into the grocery business and created a fiefdom.

Before that, my great-grand father was a carpenter and coffin builder.

The area I am from was never a big coal area. More timber .

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
my family from the street

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
i'm still Jindal from the block

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
used to have an address now we hate Barack

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9FXyr-LLeI

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

I want to own this.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

lol

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

I POSSESS THE POWER CHRONIC

Doesn't Australia also have a massive housing bubble?

I ask because my cousin just bought a house in Canberra and I want to know how doomed she is

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Foppery posted:

Doesn't Australia also have a massive housing bubble?

I ask because my cousin just bought a house in Canberra and I want to know how doomed she is

almost everywhere has a housing bubble, including america (its just urban instead of suburban this time)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
yeah. ours is limited to that one city, maybe australia's the same? canberra's boring af so maybe nobody wants to live there

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
jagdewster is chinas bubble popping? i heard it was popping.

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

Jagchosis posted:

almost everywhere has a housing bubble, including america (its just urban instead of suburban this time)

I just remember hearing Australia's was particularly bad, is all. But it's probably confined to non-boring places like Sydney and Melbourne, as ExMarx pointed out, so I probably shouldn't worry.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
i very much would appreciate help coming up with title text so i can make this into an avatar: :nws:http://i.imgur.com/L1HU3Y6.jpg

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

mooyashi posted:

appalachian mountain people are pretty much hippies that never felt the need to go to a concert and embarrass themselves

many of them embarrass themselves at bluegrass shows i feel

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i would have sex with a confederate flag, but only if it was gay

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
maybe this av shoud ave been horizontally reversed id unno, meow meow

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Foppery posted:

I just remember hearing Australia's was particularly bad, is all. But it's probably confined to non-boring places like Sydney and Melbourne, as ExMarx pointed out, so I probably shouldn't worry.

Nothing in places as big as Sydney and Melbourne in a country as small as Australia is "confined." When the US stock market crashed, it hosed Singapore up. What hope would Perth have?

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

Volkerball posted:

Nothing in places as big as Sydney and Melbourne in a country as small as Australia is "confined." When the US stock market crashed, it hosed Singapore up. What hope would Perth have?

I just meant the potential immediate effects from a sudden housing crash, since she just bought a house. I don't imagine the effects of such an event would be as bad in Canberra as they would be in Sydney, just as the price decreases of our own housing crash weren't as bad in Milwaukee as they were in, say, Phoenix.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Volkerball posted:

jagdewster is chinas bubble popping? i heard it was popping.

this rumor has been going on for ages so im not sure, china currently has vast tracts of unoccupied housing despite the billion people and yet real estate prices in the major urban areas hold steady. it will happen but i think a general slowdown in the chinese economy, larger than the current one, will predate it first

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jagchosis posted:

shaw bros: 36 chambers. wuxia: i mean crouching tiger hidden dragon is the canonical film here but you prolly seen it. so if you like asian women naked i guess the banquet? if you liked house of flying daggers, then hero (2002) is pretty similar jackie chan: legend of the drunken master

i have never seen a wuxia movie. im gonna watch crouching tiger and the banquet bc i do love naked asian women

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Literally The Worst posted:

i have never seen a wuxia movie. im gonna watch crouching tiger and the banquet bc i do love naked asian women

watch legend of the drunken master too its amazing

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LorrdErnie posted:

watch legend of the drunken master too its amazing

oh a jackie chan movie from the earlyish 90s is amazing? you dont say. next you'll tell me water? its wet

sleepchat i have to take my roommate to the airport in like an hour and some change, once i get back i might grab an hour or two before therapy, if i don't decide to just make myself miserable and more nuts by just staying up until tonight and then passing out

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jagchosis posted:

this rumor has been going on for ages so im not sure, china currently has vast tracts of unoccupied housing despite the billion people and yet real estate prices in the major urban areas hold steady. it will happen but i think a general slowdown in the chinese economy, larger than the current one, will predate it first

They have vast tracts of unoccupied cities. You see things like that and the natural response is "oh gently caress, that's so bad," but then you have an official pointing out that China has somewhere around the fastest growing population in the world, and if they waited until the population was bulging at the seams to address it and start building the infrastructure to support it, it'll be too late, and there'd be a massive epidemic of homelessness. What looks like an empty city now could very well be a dense metropolis in 20 years. So I can see the logic in that but at the same time, building and building and building and building and not selling is such a huge red flag. Who knows what the gently caress is going on with China.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

oh a jackie chan movie from the earlyish 90s is amazing? you dont say. next you'll tell me water? its wet

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

i guess there are like two bad ones and several mediocre ones

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
this is my new jam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ncIVUXZla8

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

LorrdErnie posted:

many of them embarrass themselves at bluegrass shows i feel

drinking is Haram at Merlefest :colbert:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I'm not super familar but like everything I've seen from that period is perfect instead of just great

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
That was sweet but really sad too, I'm glad they ended happily reunited

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Watch the every frame a painting about him and how he plots out his fight scenes seriously

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

cool i didn't know MGMT and AWOLNATION teamed up with the Ōkami squad

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

I'm not super familar but like everything I've seen from that period is perfect instead of just great

this is true it is a golden age

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
not hating on music though sharing a music preference is like roughly like airing a kink

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
but if your kink is getting nailed by a Mumford who bought his first Korg from Crazy Town i'm still gonna snicker a little

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

mooyashi posted:

not hating on music though sharing a music preference is like roughly like airing a kink

so far nutranurse (PBUH) has the most non-mainstream/kinkiest music tastes

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Volkerball posted:

They have vast tracts of unoccupied cities. You see things like that and the natural response is "oh gently caress, that's so bad," but then you have an official pointing out that China has somewhere around the fastest growing population in the world, and if they waited until the population was bulging at the seams to address it and start building the infrastructure to support it, it'll be too late, and there'd be a massive epidemic of homelessness. What looks like an empty city now could very well be a dense metropolis in 20 years. So I can see the logic in that but at the same time, building and building and building and building and not selling is such a huge red flag. Who knows what the gently caress is going on with China.

yeah the chinese economy is pretty much impenetrable. when real estate inevitably tanks, who knows what effect that will have on the rest of the of economy because the extent of the interconnectedness in their weird shadow finance system is utterly unclear

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
i like NN a lot and i think we share a venn a little bit but tbh NN I HOPE YOU ARE READING he seems caught up in some mindset where if you play drone / experimental stuff while managing to keep one key throughout then you can ingore what's happening and navel gaze until you realize you really went out to see what kind of chicks showed up for this poo poo anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
"are you easily plied with psuedo intellectual bullshit baby?"

"who came here for songs anyway"

• Locked thread