Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

the_steve posted:

Protection from Arrows?
I punch the Arrows. Magically.

Hundred hand slap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Splicer posted:

Somebody post The Wizard Part 6 comic, I can never find it when I need it.

\/ e: I just found where it came from. "Enjoy before he slays you with an acid arrow made of actual arrow." \/

Where does it come from? A friend once refused to play a Muscle Wizard character until I could show her what that comic was about.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Coward posted:

Where does it come from? A friend once refused to play a Muscle Wizard character until I could show her what that comic was about.
http://whodrewthis.deviantart.com/journal/FEAR-MY-ARCANE-MIGHT-235347409
That's the entire context. There is nothing else. It exists as it is, perfect in every way.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Splicer posted:

http://whodrewthis.deviantart.com/journal/FEAR-MY-ARCANE-MIGHT-235347409
That's the entire context. There is nothing else. It exists as it is, perfect in every way.

I am more than satisfied.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
So to level up from 3 to 4 it was ruled that we had to spend two days and 20g on training/preparation/whatever.

The cleric trying to get good with Talos bought 20g of rabbits and chased them around a yard hitting them with sword and lightning until they were all dead. Apparently Talos found it amusing?

I, the Great Old One warlock, was commanded to eat 20g of donuts because my patron wanted to hijack my body and explore sensations on the material plane. Considering the body to donut weight ratio involved, I'm amazed that I didn't die.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Shadeoses posted:

I, the Great Old One warlock, was commanded to eat 20g of donuts because my patron wanted to hijack my body and explore sensations on the material plane. Considering the body to donut weight ratio involved, I'm amazed that I didn't die.
Just imagining your warlock as Homer Simpson in hell, eating the cave full of donuts 4 at a time.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Shadeoses posted:

So to level up from 3 to 4 it was ruled that we had to spend two days and 20g on training/preparation/whatever.

The cleric trying to get good with Talos bought 20g of rabbits and chased them around a yard hitting them with sword and lightning until they were all dead. Apparently Talos found it amusing?

So sad. That is when someone tells a gaming story and completely misses telling the most important details.

With sprinkles?

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Shadeoses posted:

At first, I saw 20g as twenty grams of donuts, thought that wasn't too bad... then I realized the g was for gold pieces.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm reminded of the time when our party spent a long time away from civilization, long enough to gain one or two levels. When we met friendly NPCs again the DM gave us a brief rundown of how we met a few more experienced folks who could give us some combat and magic pointers, "so you can use your new class features and stuff now."

I quietly turned to one of my fellow players. "That's the first I'm hearing of this."
"Yeah. I'm using my stuff all the time."
"Same. I don't think he noticed."

Carried on playing and the DM never mentioned it again. :iiam:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
My party is being hunted by a literal army for an artifact they've stolen. Camping one night, they spot some shadowy figures skulking around in the darkness, and so the fire mage (who was on watch) throws a fireball at them, rolls well and explodes him pretty well-- the rest retreat.

While they are on the road the next day, the mages in the party sense a magic dampening field being set up ahead of them as the party rogue spots three shadowy figures, they opt to run this time, and make it to town.

That night in the inn, another dampening field is detected. The fire mage on duty decides that rather than wait for an ambush, she'll overload the field (they draw magic out of spells just up to a point, enough magic will 'pop' them) to keep the fight on even footing. At this point I should say that the fire mage, other than this, hasn't been too involved in the game at large (I've posted before about how she just rolls when her turn comes up), and that the party has been pretty strongly lawful-good leaning to date.

:rolldice: You can't just cast fire on nothing, you're inside.
:ninja: Open the window and just jet fire upwards, that's nice and safe!
:rolldice: That'll work, not as well as setting something on fire but--
:witch: Then I'll go outside and set the inn's lawn on fire!
:ninja::catholic::hist101: WHAT?

With everyone on chores, there's nobody to stop the mage from going and wreaking havoc on the lawn. WHUFF! Inferno!

:rolldice: You can feel the field weaken somewhat. The townsfolk are panicking around you.
:witch: I'll go across the street and set that lawn on fire too!
:rolldice: The town call-to-arms bell is ringing, and the fire has spread to the inn. Guards come in to (rolls) tackle you to the ground.
:witch: I'll roll us into the fire! I've got my wards on! :v:
:rolldice: Your friend :catholic: has arrived, hearing the commotion, and the store across the street from the inn has caught fire.
:catholic: I'm healing the guard. What the hell are you doing??
:rolldice: The good news is the dampening field is finally gone.

The priest and mage are apprehended by the town guard pending trial. The rogue later breaks them out but that part of the story isn't quite as great.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sometimes, fire mages get bored.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Samizdata posted:

So sad. That is when someone tells a gaming story and completely misses telling the most important details.

With sprinkles?

With butter.

Lorak posted:

At first, I saw 20g as twenty grams of donuts, thought that wasn't too bad... then I realized the g was for gold pieces.

One donut was one copper.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's a lot of doughnuts. Your character is probably now legally some kind of doughnut golem.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Shadeoses posted:

One donut was one copper.
is it 1g = 10s = 100c, or 1g = 100s = 10,000c?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

is it 1g = 10s = 100c, or 1g = 100s = 10,000c?

Former, it's a decimal system.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really like it when precious metal prices are compltely unrelated to the function of precious metal currencies

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Those metals just happen to be available in ratios that lead to a perfect decimal currency. That's what happens when you have an active god of money.

Some cult probably spent centuries petitioning them to do something about having to track the exchange rates.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kavak posted:

Former, it's a decimal system.

....2000 doughnuts.

One original glazed Krispy Kreme doughnut is 52 grams. That's 140 kilograms of doughnuts, or 308.647 pounds.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

....2000 doughnuts.

One original glazed Krispy Kreme doughnut is 52 grams. That's 140 kilograms of doughnuts, or 308.647 pounds.

Keep going, I'm almost there... :circlefap:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

chitoryu12 posted:

....2000 doughnuts.

An original glazed Krispy Kreme donut has 190 calories, or 380,000 calories total. Because of that nice round 2000 donut number it's easy to figure out that the character ate 190 days worth of food.

The character is dead, and it has been replaced with a glaze based gluttony demon.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

8one6 posted:

An original glazed Krispy Kreme donut has 190 calories, or 380,000 calories total. Because of that nice round 2000 donut number it's easy to figure out that the character ate 190 days worth of food.

The character is dead, and it has been replaced with a glaze based gluttony demon.

Probably more like 150 days or so for an adventurer. I'm 6'2 and around 210 pounds and I can eat 2,480 calories per day without gaining or losing weight.

The second part of that post remains accurate.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

8one6 posted:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

chitoryu12 posted:

Probably more like 150 days or so for an adventurer. I'm 6'2 and around 210 pounds and I can eat 2,480 calories per day without gaining or losing weight.

The second part of that post remains accurate.

Of course, the next question is how many calories it takes to fire an eldritch blast...

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

So it turns out Krispy Kreme filled this warlock's order once.
That link is worth a click if only to see the picture of four people struggling to fit the box on the truck.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Evilreaver posted:

The priest and mage are apprehended by the town guard pending trial. The rogue later breaks them out but that part of the story isn't quite as great.

Your setting is nicer than the medieval/fantasy settings I've played in. Arson is the worst crime you could do and no one, especially a mob out on a hue and cry, suffers an arsonist to live.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dirk the Average posted:

Of course, the next question is how many calories it takes to fire an eldritch blast...
And what effect the Frosting Blast eldritch essence would have.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Ok, I'm starting to get worried now.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

8one6 posted:

So it turns out Krispy Kreme filled this warlock's order once.
That link is worth a click if only to see the picture of four people struggling to fit the box on the truck.

See the warlock should have just taken this route. Go for quality not quantity :v:.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
Why not sample both? 10g buys 1000 doughnuts, and then the remaining 10g could go to a (or several) special order at local patisseries. If 20g = 2000 dougnuts and the market value of 2400 is $2,600, then just shy of $1000 on fancy confectionery still gives you one hell of a baking commission. Consume a dragon-seared brioche-and-sunberry-jam doughnut and then use the remainder to console yourself over never again consuming something so needlessly extravagant.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I love how, typically, the more and more you set out to make a food item extravagant and expensive, the less and less it actually resembles the food item it's supposed to represent. Or, for that matter, anything edible.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I think it speaks volumes for the posters in this forum that the most animated discussion we've had for ages in this thread is about donuts.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

goatface posted:

Those metals just happen to be available in ratios that lead to a perfect decimal currency. That's what happens when you have an active god of money.

Some cult probably spent centuries petitioning them to do something about having to track the exchange rates.

The God of Bureaucracy and Commerce is in eternal struggle with the Invisible Hand of the Free Market to make the decimal money system work (because gently caress in/deflation, we've got adventurers who don't understand basic math, let alone supply and demand).

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

BlackIronHeart posted:

Your setting is nicer than the medieval/fantasy settings I've played in. Arson is the worst crime you could do and no one, especially a mob out on a hue and cry, suffers an arsonist to live.

For what its worth, they were going to get a military-tribunal-style trial and be executed the next day. The particular province they were in is all about appearances.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

karmicknight posted:

The God of Bureaucracy and Commerce is in eternal struggle with the Invisible Hand of the Free Market to make the decimal money system work (because gently caress in/deflation, we've got adventurers who don't understand basic math, let alone supply and demand).
Meanwhile, the local townsfolk compensate by continuing to charge several years' wages for pointy bits of metal.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

Meanwhile, the local townsfolk compensate by continuing to charge several years' wages for pointy bits of metal.

Well, it's all about the relation and the market. Townies know better than to overcharge other townies when they are just looking for a new eating dagger or hoe. Meanwhile, an out of towner buying a single sword is worth a good three to four generations of money for a single job. It's a complex mental arithmetic the town blacksmith has to do, because selling 1 +1 sword could make his entire family for generations, while making all of those bits and pieces for the town carpenter is going to keep the family fed until the adventurers come knocking.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It doesn't even have to be +1. IIRC, a tradesman's typical wages are somewhere in the range of 1sp/day. A single longsword pays his wages for a month, and a masterwork one for something like ten years.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You're all missing an important aspect: what, for the love of god, happens once he hits level 5?

Mairn
Jan 6, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

It doesn't even have to be +1. IIRC, a tradesman's typical wages are somewhere in the range of 1sp/day. A single longsword pays his wages for a month, and a masterwork one for something like ten years.

The problem with this system is that there is some sort of up-front cost to making these things, with pathfinder for example its 1/3rd the base price (if you succeed every time!) so realistically, that NPC blacksmith needs 105gp worth of materiel on hand just to make the weapon. Which, if they make about 1sp/day, means he needs to save up his entire working wage for approximately 29.2 years just to attempt to make the sword. Being a peasant, he will most likely fail. Peasants in pathfinder usually have 10-11 in every ability score giving them a whopping +0 bonus. I am going to use pathfinder from here on out since its the most DnD-like system I have knowledge of.

Now, let's say this NPC is the run of the mill level 1 NPC. He wants to make a regular (non masterwork) longsword. His max rank for a skill is 1, and if its a class skill he gets a 3 bonus for having a rank. This brings his total bonus to 4. The DC for making a non-masterwork longsword is 15, so the npc needs to roll an 11 or higher to succeed. On the plus, he only needs to have 5gp worth of materials to make the sword. Downside is that is approximate a year and a third's worth of wages.
Now let's get into some really silly poo poo that might make this post fit in another thread.
Mr NPC Weaponsmith starts his work. He has a 50% chance of success, a 20% chance of failure (with the only penalty being the time spent with this check wasted), and a 30% chance of wasting half of his materials (2.5gp).
This is how he determines the speed he creates this longsword: You convert the cost of the item you want to make into sp (150 for a longsword) you then take your craft total, and multiply it by the crafting DC to see how much progress you make in 1 week of work.
So let's go with average, assuming he succeeds, is 15. 15 * 15 = 225 so it takes him a little less than a week to make a single sword. If he can get that number up to 300 or 450 he can make it in 1/2 or 1/3 the time, but if he doesn't make it he takes the whole week.

That's for a normal sword.
A masterwork sword is another thing, you need to make two checks per week when crafting masterwork items. One check is the item itself, the other is a DC 20 'masterwork component' that costs an amount dependent on the item (300gp for weapons).
So let's say our NPC actually leveled up somehow while earning 0 exp crafting. He is an (incredibly lofty for a commoner) level 7, giving him a +10 bonus to his craft roll. This allows him to avoid rolling and 'take 10' succeeding at both crafting checks automatically with no chance of failure. He preps his 29.2 years worth of wages and sets to work on his masterwork longsword. So, he starts on the 'masterwork component' first (since that and the sword are crafted separately) he takes 10 every week to get a total of 20, bringing the total SP worth of crafting per week to 400. He crafts that in 7.5 weeks, and finishes the longsword itself in the last half a week.
After 8 weeks of solid crafting, and likely many decades of life to become a master smith among commoners, he creates his masterwork sword. He sells it to an adventurer, making 315gp, or approximately equivalent to 87.5 years of wages. It only took starving himself for 29 years to do it too.

Well, what if someone wanted to make something even fancier, let's say an Adamantine sword? It increases the cost of the weapon by 3000, and it counts as masterwork (but isn't any more difficult to craft than a normal sword).
Now, let's say our mastercrafter 7th level NPC decides he wants to retire and fund his family until the sun burns out. He saves up 1005 gold worth of adamantine and gets to work.
He takes 10 every week, giving him a craft total of 20 * 15 = 300 sp worth of work per week. He finishes this blade in 100.5 weeks. Just a hair under two years. By doing so, he spends 279.16 years worth of wages to pay for himself and his family for the next 837.5 years. Or he can spend 200gp on a magic stone that gives +1 to Craft: Weapons, teach his son to craft weapons, and belt out another Adamantine Sword with his sons now +5 bonus (enough to make the sword without failing) every 2 years and slowly become increasingly rich.

What's the point of all this? Crafting in DnD is really, really, reeeaally stupid.

Mairn fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 25, 2015

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
A skilled blacksmith, let alone a skilled weaponsmith, would not be earning the same wages as a dirt-scrabbling shitserf. They would also probably be tied to a guild, noble, or other entity like the city guard or army that will take a regular order of weapons or other tools, and ensure they can get the materials they need to do their job and don't starve to death between orders.

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mairn
Jan 6, 2011

Shadeoses posted:

A skilled blacksmith, let alone a skilled weaponsmith, would not be earning the same wages as a dirt-scrabbling shitserf. They would also probably be tied to a guild, noble, or other entity like the city guard or army that will take a regular order of weapons or other tools, and ensure they can get the materials they need to do their job and don't starve to death between orders.

:goonsay:

Haha true. No argument there.

As far as what happens when the commoner hit's 5: He crafts slightly faster.
Economy in DnD is broken at a fundamental level, so is crafting.