Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

The Harley Quinn "Story Pack" is like 5 minutes long and terrible. Is the Scarecrow one any better? The code for that in my PS4 copy was already used and I'm trying to get it resolved but if it's as bad as Harley Quinn's 4 Room Romp I'll just forget it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hashy posted:

The Harley Quinn "Story Pack" is like 5 minutes long and terrible. Is the Scarecrow one any better? The code for that in my PS4 copy was already used and I'm trying to get it resolved but if it's as bad as Harley Quinn's 4 Room Romp I'll just forget it.

it's more batmobile bullshit racing and then tank poo poo, because we don't have enough loving tank sections in the main game

the DLC that was put out at release all sucks tremendously. what they should have done was put in some more loving challenge maps instead.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

It's pretty safe to skip the season pass then. I mean, it's always safe to skip the season pass, but they set a precedent for some Bad Content here

Riotgrrill
Sep 3, 2004

Holy crap does playing it on an SSD make a huge difference!

It went from entirely unplayable <5-20 fps during cutscenes/batmobile sections with all settings on Low and ini tweaks to averaging 50 and never dropping below 30 with all settings turned up.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
So I got this game on Tuesday, came with my new vid card.

Tried it out and saw that it dipped to below 40 FPS on some sections, this is on a 980GTX.

Can I say that I am glad the port sucked because I was afraid my new video card sucked. :)

One thing that gets me though, the Xbone and PS4 are glorified PCs, they develop on PCs, Unreal Engine is a PC graphics engine for how many years now? How do you gently caress this up?

I can understand developing for PS3 and getting a lovely port because of the architectural differences between the platforms, but this is just retarded. But not this.

Lack-O-Pants
Jun 2, 2000

I'm sometimes reminded that the only thing separating me from my love is my own heartbeat.
Yeah, I posted a similar sentiment elsewhere, that our naive dreams of easy, accurate, and functional(!) ports with this new generation of consoles as a result of their "PC-like" architectures died a screaming fiery death with the release of this game.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Alter Ego posted:

Also, I have a sinking feeling I know who the Arkham Knight is, and I am the densest human being on earth. His identity literally only fits one person in the Batman universe, considering the reasons he hates Batman so much.
Yeah, it's really explicit about it, I dont get what Rocksteady was thinking about.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Alter Ego posted:

I...actually don't mind it so much. I desperately want to play the story because I'm a huge Batman nerd and even crappy framerate can't detract from the experience too much.

Also, I have a sinking feeling I know who the Arkham Knight is, and I am the densest human being on earth. His identity literally only fits one person in the Batman universe, considering the reasons he hates Batman so much.

The Arkham Knight is Jason Todd, the second Robin who was killed by the Joker.

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011
How far in will I be able to take the batmobile into founders island?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Couldn't get through the opening police sequence at all on first boot up. Turning my head slowed everything to a crawl and the cutscenes were choppy.

I closed it, remembered to install the Nvidia update, then retried it and it was a marked improvement. Much smoother. Some occasional slowdown as Batman and only one large issue with the Batmobile actually stopping the game for a bit.

Low end i5 and a 970. Remember to install the update I guess?

It's still far from perfect though, so I may just await the patch just to get a better experience.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Egg Poacher posted:

How far in will I be able to take the batmobile into founders island?

About halfway through the main missions, I think? It's a main mission unlock, with a decent amount of work that goes into it.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

net cafe scandal posted:

They paid him. Vows aren't real, and Baker doesn't really compare to Hamill.

I thought Baker sounded great as a young Joker, before he really hit his stride. Hamill does sound better as Older Joker but that's probably because he's been playing Joker for so long that his voice has genuinely aged for it.

Hashy posted:

Yeah I was really loving disappointed with the Harley DLC. Especially since there's hints in the DLC that more interesting stuff is going on with Harley - She's talking to "Harleen" in her head, there's a couple of writings on the wall with her pseudo-detective vision that are along the lines of "What do I do now?", and she's afraid of Scarecrow (sort of interesting in and of itself since in the comics and the cartoon, she was one of the few people who got along great with Scarecrow) but otherwise not really interested in working with the other villains beyond killing Batman.

The Red Hood DLC is also awful, it's just two combat rooms and one stealth room, and the only story is "gently caress Black Mask".

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

apparently there's some random skin DLC available on PSN. not sure what the point is putting skins on robin/nightwing if you can't play them individually yet though.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/batman-arkham-knight-new-52-skins-pack/cid=UP1018-CUSA00133_00-DLCSKINNEW520000

also 110 MB what the hell

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I watched an LP of the Red Hood stuff and holy poo poo they couldn't even bother to make new animations for dead thugs.

Like how do you gently caress that up?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I ended up playing till about 2am last night, and got as far as entering Ace Chemicals to save the workers. Changing the screen to Borderless Window made a huge difference in lag, and I think my MotionBlur .ini setting of 0 is sticking (which, again, super helpful) so I'm able to actually grapple all over the drat place without stuttering/tearing or feeling like I'm fighting the actual game. Took me way to long to beat lap 3 of the first Riddler race, many times because using the middle mouse button would work fine for a long time to switch the panels/doors, but then it would just stop responding, so that sucked. The graphics sure are gimped, but I'm enjoying the actual game quite a lot. Lucius is loving incredible.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 25, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

net cafe scandal posted:

They paid him. Vows aren't real, and Baker doesn't really compare to Hamill.

Plus doing like six or seven minutes of VA for one of these games every two or three years isn't nearly as stressful on the voice/schedule as doing a full animated movie or a tv series.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Plus doing like six or seven minutes of VA for one of these games every two or three years isn't nearly as stressful on the voice/schedule as doing a full animated movie or a tv series.

He does more than six or seven minutes, and I've heard that he's said doing the voice is a real strain on his vocal cords. If anything, I'd expect doing a video game VO work is a more concentrated chunk of time as they try to get all of his dialogue in a short amount of time. I really think it was a combination of money and Hamill getting a few years off to get his voice back and feel ok with doing it again.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

What? He's got hours of lines in all of these games.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Yeah.. just waiting for me to approach Gordon to tell him about Barbara's abduction he had at least four unique voice lines.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

Yeah, it's really explicit about it, I dont get what Rocksteady was thinking about.

Part of me almost wants an Arkham Knight skin for Batman now. Hell, he dresses like him already, why can't we play as him? :v:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

Part of me almost wants an Arkham Knight skin for Batman now. Hell, he dresses like him already, why can't we play as him? :v:

You can play as him, if you preordered from Gamestop, Futurama Man.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

Yeah.. just waiting for me to approach Gordon to tell him about Barbara's abduction he had at least four unique voice lines.

Think of all the unique poo poo he says over the PAs in the older games as well.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

quick clarification on ace chemical mission:

i don't understand what happened with the surprise joker reveal and batman having joker as a headmate.

is the scarecrow's toxin based off joker blood and batman breathed some in or was there actually a joker clone (infected patient #5?) in the room with batman that knocked him out and infected him?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

i don't understand what happened with the surprise joker reveal and batman having joker as a headmate.

is the scarecrow's toxin based off joker blood and batman breathed some in or was there actually a joker clone (infected patient #5?) in the room with batman that knocked him out and infected him?

Joker gave Batman HIV in Arkham City and now's it's full blown AIDS.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

No, batman is crazy although you wouldn't know it because he has zero reaction to any of these moments with the hallucination so far in my playthrough. there's like zero weight to it because batman doesn't even give a gently caress, though the appearances are pretty amusing

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

No, batman is crazy although you wouldn't know it because he has zero reaction to any of these moments with the hallucination so far in my playthrough. there's like zero weight to it because batman doesn't even give a gently caress, though the appearances are pretty amusing

You're incorrect.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
So should I finish the main story and get all the gadgets before attempting any of the Most Wanted stuff? I keep finding myself in need of stuff I don't have when I try to grab nearby Riddler trophies.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

You're incorrect.

on what point, his reactions?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

Spoilers in the video (and probably comments if you're crazy enough to read YouTube comments), but the Joker singing section alone is five minutes of Hamill singing in the Joker voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sRPEtlG2gU

Notice that even when the lyrics repeat, it sounds like different takes of the sections.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I like this game quite a bit.

The batmobile is fine, not sure wtf you guys are on about.

Leaping from a rooftop into the batmobile then burning out and rail gun shooting out is super satisfying. Also bean bagging dudes with my car in combat is halarious.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

on what point, his reactions?

Batmans not crazy, he's got Joker AIDS.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

It manifested right when he got sprayed with the gas though.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

We must play to know the truth about the Joker.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

same poo poo. does it matter whether he got it off a loving toilet or from the events of Arkham City.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

MinibarMatchman posted:

same poo poo. does it matter whether he got it off a loving toilet or from the events of Arkham City.

Yeah, it matters quite a bit.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

MinibarMatchman posted:

when you're seeing and hearing poo poo that isn't there, the last thing you want to do is respond to them. especially when you've got your butler watching and listening to every move you make

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

Hmm, I don't follow.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Batman always uses the bathroom before he leaves the Batcave.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I understand that was a low end number, but even being realistic he has ~12 minutes of dialogue in Asylum, as well as City, even counting all of the interview tapes. I don't know how you could say anyone in any of the games has "hours" of dialogue. Obviously more than that much work goes into producing it, but my point is just that that's obviously not nearly as bad as having to roll up and deliver a similar performance as part of your day job. It's also notable that the game with the most Joker talking of them all is Origins, where he didn't do the voice work. So that limit might even be part of why he comes back.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

CharlestonJew posted:

when you're seeing and hearing poo poo that isn't there, the last thing you want to do is respond to them. especially when you've got your butler watching and listening to every move you make

Master Wayne what are you doing?
Uh well Joker said he's going to take out those sentry guns for me so I'm waiting to see what he does.

• Locked thread