Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I did everything in white orchard and was level 3 when I finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
That incantation just kills me every time I watch this, it's just that great.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Drunk witchers was one of the best parts of this entire loving game, and that's saying a lot.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Million Ghosts posted:

I had a feeling all you weird Yen lovers were not-so-closet subs so thank you for comfirming.

No we're just real grown ups who can handle a mature relationship

*neglects wife and children for 150 straight hours to play a video game about a bodice-ripping sword mutant*

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

cams posted:

Just got a PS4 and this game, never played a Witcher game, enjoying not knowing ANYTHING about a game, want to keep it that way. So, in that spirit, just got one small question so I can play this game right.

Is it a good idea to just hang out in White Orchard and do EVERYTHING before moving on? Or is that similar to 100%ing the Hinterlands in DA:I? Just don't know how I should handle progression in this game. Feels weird.

You can go back there later through the fast travel system and do the other ? marks and merchants. I think maybe this was patched in later? People were upset about missing gwynt cards in White Orchard, but that doesn't seem to be a problem now.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I just started playing a couple of days ago on PS4. I tried to stay out of the thread in case of spoilers, but I had to come ask a question.

I found this:

He's very amazing and I love him and he has red eyes. Please tell me there's a way I can keep him. Can I keep him?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

pik_d posted:

Well it's pretty easy to just say "Geralt was with Triss for TW1 and TW2, so I'll stick with her, who the hell is Yen anyway?", since Triss' quests will probably be done before Yen's.
See, my reaction was completely different as I read the books years ago and the Witcher games were at first mostly just a chance to interact with the books' universe so the first 2 games were like 'gently caress, so Yen isn't in this at all? I guess Triss will have to do as the closest thing I'm getting.' The logical reaction in Witcher 3 was 'loving finally the proper Yennefer is here, sorry Triss it was nice while it lasted but it ends now.'

When you read the books you totally understand Geralt's reaction when the memories come back to him. I mean at one point he married Yen and she was a mother figure to Ciri as much as Geralt was a father. They both can't have children and somehow became almost a proper family with Ciri and in the end went through a whole lot together (including death). In that context what is shown between Geralt and Triss in the games isn't much more than an intense fling.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Palpek posted:

See, my reaction was completely different as I read the books years ago and the Witcher games were at first mostly just a chance to interact with the books' universe so the first 2 games were like 'gently caress, so Yen isn't in this at all? I guess Triss will have to do as the closest thing I'm getting.' The logical reaction in Witcher 3 was 'loving finally the proper Yennefer is here, sorry Triss it was nice while it lasted but it ends now.'

When you read the books you totally understand Geralt's reaction when the memories come back to him. I mean at one point he married Yen and she was a mother figure to Ciri as much as Geralt was a father. They both can't have children and somehow became almost a proper family with Ciri and in the end went through a whole lot together (including death). In that context what is shown between Geralt and Triss in the games isn't much more than an intense fling.

People fall in and out of love all the time.

But going by the conversations with Triss in W3, especially referencing their past relationship and the 'conversation 6 months ago', I get the sense that Triss called it off - probably out of some belated respect to Yen, or maybe knowing that Geralt would always go back to Yen and was saving herself the heartbreak.

It's especially telling if you decide to romance Triss and ask her to stay when she's leaving for Kovir. She tells Geralt 'Not this again," as if it was a conversation they've had repeatedly.

But all that aside, I went with Triss the first time cos she's a redhead and then went with Yen the second time just to see what the fuss is all about.

I still prefer redheads.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Palpek posted:

I just started reading the books and I'm very much enjoying them. Hopefully they will give me some added emotional response to this whole "find muh daughter and dominatrix lover"

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I liked the last wish quest, gives you a good excuse for Geralt acting the way he did up to that point, as well as a plausible reason to break things off and go back to Triss.

The way Yen kept acting at Kaer Morhern didn't make me regret my decision, though curious, is she the same if you hook up with her for reals instead?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I like Yennefer as a character more than Triss, because the game has better interaction with her that aren't obvious romance bait (the whole Skellige segment with the gardens), Triss in Novigrad sometimes acts as though she's just constantly waiting for Geralt to admit his love for her. Outside of that, she determined and a good friend to have around, and isn't afraid to burn things and people. The "romance" options with Yennefer in Skellige (in normal conversations) with those weird "You smell very nice at this funeral we're having right now" dialogue were sometimes quite weird.

Sometimes I'm disappointed with the agency in the cutscenes, though. Spoiler to the Isle of Mists and the next story quests I've just found Ciri and had the next immediate quest, and so I went to talk with Emhyr. Before then, there was always an option to say something referencing Geralt's non-reverence towards him (even though I didn't bother, because it seemed petty). This time, though, he offered to give me the rest of the money, so I took it, there's no reason not to have more money. However, not only did I not have any kind of joke option of "I knew you were stingy" or anything other than clearly implying that the money is what I'm there for, it was done in a most humiliating fashion all the while Ciri was staring at me furiously and not once could I say that I'm not fine with that. It was really awkward, and ending with "Now sing this", which Geralt obviously didn't sign, was weird too: if he was fine with not being polite why not earlier. If he did sign it why point to not animating that? And it was even not a lot of money at this point!

And of course later Ciri says that she's mad and maybe she'll get over it by the time we're at Velen, so I assume it will never be brought up again.

Oh well, I got my money in the end, a Witcher has to plan for his retirement.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Avalerion posted:

I liked the last wish quest, gives you a good excuse for Geralt acting the way he did up to that point, as well as a plausible reason to break things off and go back to Triss.

The way Yen kept acting at Kaer Morhern didn't make me regret my decision, though curious, is she the same if you hook up with her for reals instead?

She was in a rush to do poo poo to help Ciri. Vesimir even says no one gave her poo poo about it, but she could have been nicer.

Also I never played the first or second games. Why are Yen and Triss even still friends after all that happened with Geralt?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I just feel like Geralt ending up back together with Yen is too neat. It's missing out on a bit of the web of hosed-upness that Phillipa describes to you.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Response to Emhyr spoiler above You actually can (and should!) turn down the gold, Ciri approves and it pushes things towards her good ending, plus you get a neat horse out of it instead.

Romes128 posted:

Also I never played the first or second games. Why are Yen and Triss even still friends after all that happened with Geralt?

That's actually something I wondered myself... Same with Geralt not really being all that upset about what Triss did if you take the book stuff into account.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jun 25, 2015

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Avalerion posted:

Response to Emhyr spoiler above You actually can (and should!) turn down the gold, Ciri approves and it pushes things towards her good ending, plus you get a neat horse out of it instead.

Really? Guess I'll better reload a save then, thanks! Had I known he would be such a prick about it I wouldn't have done it anyway.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jun 25, 2015

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Is this Witcher mod for Crusader Kings 2 any good? I just found out about it yesterday, and looks like it could be kinda fun.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-witcher-kings

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Szurumbur posted:

Really? Guess I'll better reload a save then, thanks! Had I known he would be such a prick about it I wouldn't have done it anyway.

The best is if you don't take her to see him at all imo.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Ragingsheep posted:

The best is if you don't take her to see him at all imo.

The best ending or the best decision? Ciri is a grown girl, she can handle herself and if he was stupid enough to try to convince her for his original plan then lol at him anyway.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Szurumbur posted:

The best ending or the best decision? Ciri is a grown girl, she can handle herself and if he was stupid enough to try to convince her for his original plan then lol at him anyway.

There's basically 3 endings: Ciri dies, Ciri becomes a Witcher, Ciri becomes empress. You get the bad one if you threat her badly, you get her becoming a witcher if you don't take her to see the emperor and/or he loses the war, and you get the last if you take her to the emperor and help Nilfgaard win the war.

Which one of the second two is "better" is relative, I actually prefer the last one, but expect for the first "bad" ending both are fine.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Romes128 posted:

She was in a rush to do poo poo to help Ciri. Vesimir even says no one gave her poo poo about it, but she could have been nicer.

In the books, the magic-using community is shown to be relatively lax about relationships and sex - some of them are described (most likely falsely), as nymphomaniacs, and all the mages and sorceresses are quite eager to engage in various casual relationships.

It's not easy to explain, but maybe their friendship extends beyond their bizarre love triangle?

EDIT: Although is there any point in the game where Yen and Triss act friendly towards each other?

Zakmonster fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 25, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zakmonster posted:

EDIT: Although is there any point in the game where Yen and Triss act friendly towards each other?

If you say you love them both, yes, they have a pretty funny moment together. But it's at Geralt's expense so maybe that's why.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zakmonster posted:

In the books, the magic-using community is shown to be relatively lax about relationships and sex - some of them are described (most likely falsely), as nymphomaniacs, and all the mages and sorceresses are quite eager to engage in various casual relationships.

It's not easy to explain, but maybe their friendship extends beyond their bizarre love triangle?

IIRC in my playthrough when Triss shows up at Kaer Morhern she says she's only there because of Yen. Triss had left on the boat after her quest and I didn't ask her to stay, so I'm guessing they keep in contact.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Romes128 posted:

IIRC in my playthrough when Triss shows up at Kaer Morhern she says she's only there because of Yen. Triss had left on the boat after her quest and I didn't ask her to stay, so I'm guessing they keep in contact.

Yeah, I know that's a thing that happens, but you don't have to be friends to help out in this scenario. Triss cares for Ciri in her own right, it wouldn't have taken much convincing.

And like Triss says during her personal quest "All mages know each other," or something to that effect. Yen and Triss can keep in contact, especially through their megascopes, without ever being friendly with one another.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

WoodrowSkillson posted:

you smell wonderful at this funeral

Have dinner with Kiera > Have sex with her > Kill her the next morning

Geralt can be a psychopath.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Romes128 posted:

Well considering there's only a handful left from the Lodge, I don't think they can really be too choosy about their friends at this point. Everyone else is dead after-all.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Romes128 posted:

She still throws out the bed and acts very self superior (I think she actually says something along the lines of "Just do what I tell you to and trust me"), but I think that's just her character.

Triss and Yen don't really talk until after Geralt has made a decision and Yen seems super preoccupied with being a pretend mum either way.

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Is this Witcher mod for Crusader Kings 2 any good? I just found out about it yesterday, and looks like it could be kinda fun.

It's seriously out of date and broken.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Romes128 posted:

Have dinner with Kiera > Have sex with her > Kill her the next morning

Geralt can be a psychopath.

It was your fault it turned out that way in that particular case ;)

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, I'm really playing Geralt as the biggest passive-aggressive rear end in a top hat every time I speak with Emhyr but I can't really help myself once I speak to that crowned jackass. Hell, I even "forgot" to tell Ciri that we should meet Emperor before cutting the ´roid elf a new breathing hole. I just hope that this gives the good Emhyr a heap of trouble, since the General mentions that the Niilfgardian Nobles are demanding his abdication in favour of Ciri. I wonder how this works out when his heir doesn't even stop by

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Sylphosaurus posted:

That incantation just kills me every time I watch this, it's just that great.

"This looks like a job for... Vesemir! Come on, men, he could be... beleaguered, I wager."

Lambert's impression is amazing.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Drunk Witchers are the best Witchers.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Anything negative I thought about Yen vanished as soon as I heard her basically squeal with delight at seeing Ciri for the first time in many years. She just lets out this massive happy cry of "CIRIIIIIII!!!!" and runs as fast as she can to come and give her adopted daughter a big hug and tell her how beautiful she is.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Sylphosaurus posted:

Drunk Witchers are the best Witchers.

We don't look anything like sorceressesesess...

Stop whining Eskel. Sometimes you've just got to squeeze into some frippery. *hic*

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I've played more of this and I have to say, it is really quite amazing.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Quote-Unquote posted:

Anything negative I thought about Yen vanished as soon as I heard her basically squeal with delight at seeing Ciri for the first time in many years. She just lets out this massive happy cry of "CIRIIIIIII!!!!" and runs as fast as she can to come and give her adopted daughter a big hug and tell her how beautiful she is.

Yeah, this moment was really sweet. :3:

Schlesische posted:

It's seriously out of date and broken.

Figures... Oh well, guess I won't be conquering the world as Saskia after all.

Meta-Mollusk fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 25, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Tony Montana posted:

I've played more of this and I have to say, it is really quite amazing.
Wait, what part of the game made you change your mind?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Just a reminder that Triss is literally magically attracted towards witchers and their sexy touch (and also allergic to potions for some reason). It's not entirely her fault she's obsessed with Geralt, although she could have just gone with Eskel or Lambert and made her life easier. Geralt's obsession with Yen is magical but at least he chose it.

I appreciate the fact that Triss has a working sense of empathy but she's also a buzz kill. Christ, all of the sorceresses are manipulative, scheming and sometimes outright evil, and the witchers are just sour, gruff bastards. I guess they deserve each other.

On another note, I'm kind of disappointed with the end of the quest with Jad Karadin. You barely get to question him at all and Lambert shuts himself up so you can't discuss anything with him either. Pretty lame. There's plenty of evidence that Karadin is a bad cat, ha ha, but enough to walk into his house and slaughter him?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

There's a druid outside Gedyneith that has a ! mark over his head indicating a quest, but talking to him yields nothing. Is my game just bugged or what? I've already done all the other druidy quests in that area, including the one with the silent druid and the ornery one that teaches alchemy.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Apparently he's supposed to point you to that cranky ol' Gremist if you didn't get it before.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

eXXon posted:

Just a reminder that Triss is literally magically attracted towards witchers and their sexy touch (and also allergic to potions for some reason). It's not entirely her fault she's obsessed with Geralt, although she could have just gone with Eskel or Lambert and made her life easier. Geralt's obsession with Yen is magical but at least he chose it.

I appreciate the fact that Triss has a working sense of empathy but she's also a buzz kill. Christ, all of the sorceresses are manipulative, scheming and sometimes outright evil, and the witchers are just sour, gruff bastards. I guess they deserve each other.

On another note, I'm kind of disappointed with the end of the quest with Jad Karadin. You barely get to question him at all and Lambert shuts himself up so you can't discuss anything with him either. Pretty lame. There's plenty of evidence that Karadin is a bad cat, ha ha, but enough to walk into his house and slaughter him?

I don't know whether or not Karadin has reformed, or whether or not Aiden had it coming, but Karadin definitely used to be a slaver, so as far as I'm concerned he has it coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Davoren posted:

I don't know whether or not Karadin has reformed, or whether or not Aiden had it coming, but Karadin definitely used to be a slaver, so as far as I'm concerned he has it coming.

Well yeah, but if that's the standard then there are going to be a lot of dead bodies the next time Geralt goes to Nilfgaard.