Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I've just gotten around to playing DJ Hero in preparation for a new generation of rhythm games. And as doing so, I went to check what high level play is like. As it turns out, it's nigh-impossible for us mere mortals, as is the trend. But checking it out, there was this song, "Groundhog (Jungle Beat)" by Noisia. Made exclusively for the game, it was made for these music game grognards. It's notably fast, occasionally of rhythm, and requires nigh controller breaking speed and precision. And best part, in the lulls between action, a sarcastic British man questions your ability before ramping up the difficulty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PMbGB7XqaQ

Pff it's just learning patterns, I managed it on hard after not too much practise... There's also nothing off-rhythm in the track, it's not quite that horrible a track to play. You can have most of it down in half an hour or so but the back end is a bitch, there's crossfader stabs thrown in among crossfader switches, button presses and directional scratches. I don't consider myself some sort of music game savant either. If you can keep a beat you can play music games, this one included.

This is fun though, scratch DJ JFB recreated the track on his decks. Make sure to watch from 3:50, the juggle is serious... :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dQLc1J5Bj0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Tiberius Thyben posted:

The best item in Symphony of the Night are the Secret Boots. Their description is "Discreetly Increases Height!". True to it's word, all it does is increase Alucard's height by one pixel.

I like the shades, which do nothing but lower your intelligence for wearing them

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

For an intentional SOTN troll, there's always the Alucart gear. You start the game with overpowered equipment, primarily the Alucard Sword, Alucard Shield and Alucard Mail, and then you lose this equipment a few rooms into the game. The Alucart versions of the gear look identical, except they're garbage. So players will find this equipment, get excited, equip them, and then suck. your luck goes up if you wear all of them, but they're still garbage

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Zamujasa posted:

As for trolls, does the Escapipe in Phantasy Star III count? If you sell off some starting equipment, you can buy an Escapipe (basically a escape-rope type item)... but if you use it to escape the prison you're thrown into shortly after you start the game, welp:

My personal favorite Phantasy Star troll is in PSII. The telephone, I think it is? You need to bring a certain character to a certain store and they will steal the phone, which I think lets you save away from clone lab/save point. It's pretty far into the game and one-hundred percent missable, so just imagine the notion of developers saying "Yes, it would be nice if the players could save where ever they want, but we should make it incredibly difficult to achieve this effect. Even the first dungeon areas are an incredible slog that can take multiple trips there and back to level and gain money, and it's possible to die and lose an hour or so of progress because you got lost on the world map and a giant frog vomited on you.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

many johnnys posted:

For an intentional SOTN troll, there's always the Alucart gear. You start the game with overpowered equipment, primarily the Alucard Sword, Alucard Shield and Alucard Mail, and then you lose this equipment a few rooms into the game. The Alucart versions of the gear look identical, except they're garbage. So players will find this equipment, get excited, equip them, and then suck. your luck goes up if you wear all of them, but they're still garbage

IIRC the alucart shield kicks as much/more rear end than the real one as a shield rod combo.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

LawfulWaffle posted:

My personal favorite Phantasy Star troll is in PSII. The telephone, I think it is? You need to bring a certain character to a certain store and they will steal the phone, which I think lets you save away from clone lab/save point. It's pretty far into the game and one-hundred percent missable, so just imagine the notion of developers saying "Yes, it would be nice if the players could save where ever they want, but we should make it incredibly difficult to achieve this effect. Even the first dungeon areas are an incredible slog that can take multiple trips there and back to level and gain money, and it's possible to die and lose an hour or so of progress because you got lost on the world map and a giant frog vomited on you.

No the worst troll of that was that damned maze island that was very hard to find in the first place. You had to get the hovercraft then gently caress around in the ocean to find it. Then once you got there it was this bizarre maze of doors that teleported you to the weirdest places. You had to get to the top to get to these plants to get leaves from them but all but one of them were fake. I think there was 8 of them? God help you if you picked the wrong one; you had to climb back down to the beginning most of the time. Of course your HP and TP were being used so you'd have to plan on multiple trips.

As much as I like that game in retrospect I think the entire damned thing was one gigantic troll.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

AlphaKretin posted:

IIRC the alucart shield kicks as much/more rear end than the real one as a shield rod combo.

I believe you have them backwards. The fake alucart shield that is worthless, also has a worthless combo (it literally does nothing). The real one that is good is the one with the most powerful effect in the game. Alucart equipment is a troll, through and through.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I've just gotten around to playing DJ Hero in preparation for a new generation of rhythm games. And as doing so, I went to check what high level play is like. As it turns out, it's nigh-impossible for us mere mortals, as is the trend. But checking it out, there was this song, "Groundhog (Jungle Beat)" by Noisia. Made exclusively for the game, it was made for these music game grognards. It's notably fast, occasionally of rhythm, and requires nigh controller breaking speed and precision. And best part, in the lulls between action, a sarcastic British man questions your ability before ramping up the difficulty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PMbGB7XqaQ

Now that Guitar Hero and Rock Band are coming back, I really hope someone brings back DJ Hero. It's super fun, especially multiplayer, and the games had a sweet rear end soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cROv9asgfsc

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Babe Magnet posted:

Now that Guitar Hero and Rock Band are coming back, I really hope someone brings back DJ Hero. It's super fun, especially multiplayer, and the games had a sweet rear end soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cROv9asgfsc

I didn't even realise there was a sequel... Holy poo poo.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

its good

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

many johnnys posted:

Alucart equipment is a troll, through and through.

the luck boost they give is (seemingly) helpful when grinding for a Crissaegrim or Ring Of Varda drop

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Didn't Poo's only weapon drop from a Starman enemy that appeared in exactly one dungeon in the game, but with an insanely low drop rate? I think the other enemies in the area were the 'detonate upon death' kinds, and if you didn't get it there, the lab is inaccessible after the boss fight, so there went your once chance to get his sword.

This is from about 15 pages ago, but a small note -- after grinding for it for about an hour, I had one of these drop. And then on the next encounter... another. It's a Key Item, so you can't get rid of it. You can store it later on, but anyone who has played Earthbound knows that inventory space is at a premium -- having 2 of the rarest item in the game is actually a huge detriment in this case, at least until the end of the dungeon.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Is it a key item? I guess I never noticed.

olaf2022 posted:

the luck boost they give is (seemingly) helpful when grinding for a Crissaegrim or Ring Of Varda drop

It is, but luck has weird diminishing returns on drop rates.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I still think the ending of Oblivion was the worst of trolls.

I was ready for that fucker and I'd curbstomped every damned one of its minions to get there. Every goddamned deadra knew my bloody name and I had houses filled with gems and enchanted swords, enchanted gear so powerful nothing could so much as look twice at me without catching fire. I used portal stones as bowling balls. That big red dipshit was going to have its stupid head chopped off and mounted over my fireplace.

You don't get to kill him though. Your feet get nailed to the ground while that loving wet monk ganks your kill. Actually all he does is send it off to some other dimension and lock the loving door, you can't even go in after it and finish it off. I suppose they wanted whatshisname to remain alive for future games but sheesh it's not like there aren't umpteen other demigods around doing sod all that could poo poo things up in future.

Edit: would Ulfric count too? In my game he didn't so much as get a word out before he was Ned Stark'd by Lydia, but then I figure that's more unintentional bethesda comedy than anything else.

Tambaloneus has a new favorite as of 07:41 on May 28, 2015

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Tambaloneus posted:

I still think the ending of Oblivion was the worst of trolls.

I was ready for that fucker and I'd curbstomped every damned one of its minions to get there. Every goddamned deadra knew my bloody name and I had houses filled with gems and enchanted swords, enchanted gear so powerful nothing could so much as look twice at me without catching fire. I used portal stones as bowling balls. That big red dipshit was going to have its stupid head chopped off and mounted over my fireplace.

You don't get to kill him though. Your feet get nailed to the ground while that loving wet monk ganks your kill. Actually all he does is send it off to some other dimension and lock the loving door, you can't even go in after it and finish it off. I suppose they wanted whatshisname to remain alive for future games but sheesh it's not like there aren't umpteen other demigods around doing sod all that could poo poo things up in future.

Edit: would Ulfric count too? In my game he didn't so much as get a word out before he was Ned Stark'd by Lydia, but then I figure that's more unintentional bethesda comedy than anything else.

Hey man, it's not the game's fault you weren't doing enough damage.
https://youtu.be/ZXrLHtnKTLE?t=176

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

many johnnys posted:

The Alucart Sword has the same speed and range as the Alucard Sword, and as early in the game as you can grab the stuff, it outperforms other weapons as the margins in attack between weapons are small and most of your damage comes from Strength anyway, so having a fast sword is better.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
In Thief 4, Garrett sneaks into a brothel filled with civilians and guards for some info at one point in the game. The prostitutes pump opium through the building via a cauldron and fan system, and overloading it causes everyone but Garrett to get knocked unconscious. Garrett actually comments on this as he moves through the room, so the player knows about it.

However, if you play on the hardest difficulty, you are not allowed to knock out civilians. So as soon as you pull the opium cauldron lever, you fail the mission. But Garrett still comments on using the system to knock everyone out, even on Hard. The game actively gives you tempting information that will cause you to fail.

It was a pretty interesting surprise when I played on Normal and knocked everyone out, then played it on Hard and failed it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

HellCopter posted:

Hey man, it's not the game's fault you weren't doing enough damage.
https://youtu.be/ZXrLHtnKTLE?t=176

I really enjoy how Bethesda didn't remotely consider the possibility of someone killing Dagon so instead of a death animation or even just flopping over in a lovely but coherent way, the model completely breaks down. ~*award winning game developer*~

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Context: It's the end of the game and you're trying to find a way into an underground bunker to kill Bob Page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwSLvTkV2Y4

Bob Page is the one who tells you that you can make the jump.

1stGear posted:

I really enjoy how Bethesda didn't remotely consider the possibility of someone killing Dagon so instead of a death animation or even just flopping over in a lovely but coherent way, the model completely breaks down. ~*award winning game developer*~

:jerkbag:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I have no idea why he even has health in the first place. You'd think he would just be immortal.

A real troll would be getting the message "Mehrunes Dagon is unconcious.".

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

1stGear posted:

The guy that made the video is actually mistaken, he doesn't kill Dagon by hitting him; doing so is impossible, I think because of an infinite defense rating. He's actually indirectly harming him through use of the Reflect Damage effect (which is why he keeps glowing purple), which is one of only two-and-a-half ways to kill Dagon, all of them glitches. The others:
1. In the console versions, he's affected by the shapeshifting weapon Wabbajack; while he won't actually shapeshift, his stats will change to one of those monsters. Thus, he'll become as powerful as a mudcrab, or a troll or whatever.
1.5. While Absorb/Damage Fatigue spells don't actually harm Dagon (or anything, in fact) he'll melt into the ground anyway because the game has no idea what to do with the fact you just made him pass out.

By normal means Dagon is little more than a setpiece with a creature ID. He doesn't have a death animation because he doesn't die; you can only kill him by edge case glitches.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

I have no idea why he even has health in the first place. You'd think he would just be immortal.

A real troll would be getting the message "Mehrunes Dagon is unconcious.".

Wasn't that the issue with all the Ultima games where all sorts of NPCs that should be unkillable could get killed because the engine didn't support immortal characters.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

1stGear posted:

I kinda like it. Because why should 'Whoops, the God died... Wait what' have a normal death animation?

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

What would have been awesome if it were legitimately possible to kill him but perhaps doing so dooms the entire world to some unholy spreading corruption, like that video he just keeps collapsing and starts taking the scenery with him until you get the message that this was a loving terrible idea and so you go back to a save and let whatshisname do his thing and boot said demon back to demonland. Then it'd feel less like a gyp and you'd get to see the awesome 'bad' ending.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Sleeveless posted:

Context: It's the end of the game and you're trying to find a way into an underground bunker to kill Bob Page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwSLvTkV2Y4

Bob Page is the one who tells you that you can make the jump.

:jerkbag:

You can destroy the fan blades and jump down there.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bip Roberts posted:

Wasn't that the issue with all the Ultima games where all sorts of NPCs that should be unkillable could get killed because the engine didn't support immortal characters.

Being able to abuse/exploit the game to kill Lord British was a hallmark of the series, and when Ultima MMO was first launched there was a public event where Richard Garriot showed up in game as Lord British and an rear end in a top hat decided to attack him and Garriot forgot to turn his "invincible" flag on. I think it made gaming news at the time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

pentyne posted:

Being able to abuse/exploit the game to kill Lord British was a hallmark of the series, and when Ultima MMO was first launched there was a public event where Richard Garriot showed up in game as Lord British and an rear end in a top hat decided to attack him and Garriot forgot to turn his "invincible" flag on. I think it made gaming news at the time.

If by rear end in a top hat you mean role-player then this is a correct account of what happened.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

pentyne posted:

iirc, how it happened (and I only know this from a cracked article) was that they set up the invincibility status by equipping him with an item that granted him unbreakable protection, then surrounded him with bodyguards. So a particularly inventive thief teleported inside the bodyguard cordon, and pickpocketed off of him, immediately teleporting back away. Someone then took the opportunity to assassinate him. Then chaos broke out as a result and panicking, the game mods proceeded to teleport everyone at the event into space, killing them all.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Choco1980 posted:

Then chaos broke out as a result and panicking, the game mods proceeded to teleport everyone at the event into space, killing them all.

Nah, the teleporting into space thing was something Sony Online did in Star Wars Galaxies after some fiasco or another.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

AlphaKretin posted:

Sorry, but that distinction goes to the Cat-eye circlet. :colbert:
http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-Tactics/Update%20118/

Does this also work on the Black Panthers in the Anti-Chapel?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Perry Normal posted:

Does this also work on the Black Panthers in the Anti-Chapel?

No, no. That's panther damage.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Nah, the teleporting into space thing was something Sony Online did in Star Wars Galaxies after some fiasco or another.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-biggest-dick-moves-in-history-online-gaming_p3/

Cracked posted:

When their king suddenly burned to death they reacted about as rationally as a combined "video gamer who's been proven wrong" and a "high-level warlock with access to demons" would by summoning hordes of monsters and massacring everyone at the castle. Without guards, the players were able to fight back, triggering a full-scale virtual riot which ended with admins teleporting entire groups of players into space, where the players survived approximately as well as real people from the Middle Ages would have survived in space.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Choco1980 posted:

iirc, how it happened (and I only know this from a cracked article) was that they set up the invincibility status by equipping him with an item that granted him unbreakable protection, then surrounded him with bodyguards. So a particularly inventive thief teleported inside the bodyguard cordon, and pickpocketed off of him, immediately teleporting back away. Someone then took the opportunity to assassinate him. Then chaos broke out as a result and panicking, the game mods proceeded to teleport everyone at the event into space, killing them all.

Assassination of Lord British

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Well, I definitely prefer the real story where demons get summoned to attack the innocent bystanders.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

I never cared much for a potential FFVII remake, but now I really want to see Cloud in his costume, stepping out of the fitting stall in sparkly super-detailed character model cutscene mode.
I BELIEVE

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
Not a troll from a developer per se, but the Will it Donkey webseries where a player tries Trials Evolution custom maps with the starter moped almost counts for intentional trolling. Here is my favourite of the series, "Wipeout Challenge":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3leFCuvGwGQ

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Copied from the PYF things you like in games thread.

Sleeveless posted:

Destiny is doing an exclusive tie-in promo with Red Bull:

In response, Dying Light announced their own exclusive beverage promo:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

When Witcher 3: Wild Hunt launched, low level players could exploit some infinitely respawning cows in the starting area to make some quick coin by killing them, looting their hides, passing some time by meditating and repeating the cycle as needed.

The creators of the game, CD Project Red, installed a "Bovine Defense Force Initiative" shortly after.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.

mcbexx posted:

When Witcher 3: Wild Hunt launched, low level players could exploit some infinitely respawning cows in the starting area to make some quick coin by killing them, looting their hides, passing some time by meditating and repeating the cycle as needed.

The creators of the game, CD Project Red, installed a "Bovine Defense Force Initiative" shortly after.

I love this. A page from Zelda. They could have taken the easy boring route, but they didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Sebastian Vettel posted:

Well, I definitely prefer the real story where demons get summoned to attack the innocent bystanders.

I don't remember when, but Rainz was actually interviewed about it. You can read his version here: http://noctalis.com/dis/uo/blast02a.shtml

• Locked thread