Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's not meant to, the settings switch on lollipop specifically says screen on or charging. The 5 doesn't have the hardware to keep listening without keeping the whole phone awake and nomming that battery

Maybe they broke it for the M preview, or maybe they developed some sweet software trickery to keep it low power, which would be cool. I heard someone saying the 5 actually does have the hardware to listen, but they used it for a step counter sensor instead, so maybe they've even found a way to repurpose it :catstare: if that's even possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

uPen posted:

Maybe it's an M thing for the 5? Mine doesn't respond when the screen is off with L.
hmm. Took 3 tries but screen off and locked it still prompted.
Granted, I'm in a noisy as hell environment at the moment.

There are settings for it in the search/now app.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

baka kaba posted:

I heard someone saying the 5 actually does have the hardware to listen, but they used it for a step counter sensor instead
I posted that. I can't find a reliable source for the step counter part now but you can find various blogs mentioning it. Certainly the N5 has the requisite hardware, anyway, since it's literally built into the S800.

Someone hacked together a proof of concept of it working but it was apparently unstable and nothing releasable ever came of it:
https://plus.google.com/+GuillaumeLesniak/posts/H4CiUhBRghi

And to add insult, the step counter is complete garbage.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 24, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

uPen posted:

Maybe it's an M thing for the 5? Mine doesn't respond when the screen is off with L.

My 5 on Lollipop does whilst on the Tylt (which if I'm home is 100% of the time).

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Tunga posted:

I posted that. I can't find a reliable source for the step counter part now but you can find various blogs mentioning it. Certainly the N5 has the requisite hardware, anyway, since it's literally built into the S800.

Someone hacked together a proof of concept of it working but it was apparently unstable and nothing releasable ever came of it:
https://plus.google.com/+GuillaumeLesniak/posts/H4CiUhBRghi

And to add insult, the step counter is complete garbage.

I thought so!

I guess they developed Fit during that period though so I suppose the Googles were happy with it

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The step counter seemed to work relatively accurately but it's figures would always get hosed around with by location services or something for me so it'd do poo poo like say I walked 20 miles over the course of a day at work, which is impossible because I worked in a cubicle then and probably walked a mile at absolute most on days where I needed to walk across the campus for multiple meetings with a detour around the decorative pond each time.

Anyone getting some lag with the keyboard when writing anything longer than a couple sentences? This post, for example, is causing the keyboard to get rather sluggish. As much as I'd naturally attribute it to poor posting quality it happens in emails too. Nexus 5, Lollipop 5.1.1, un-hosed-around with.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When the N5 first came out I tried to write a pedometer using the new APIs and that chip just doesn't work properly. If you hold the phone in front of you as if you're reading it, it'll actually count pretty well. But put it in a pocket and it drops to around 30-40% of the actual step count. I gave up on the app.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

When the N5 first came out I tried to write a pedometer using the new APIs and that chip just doesn't work properly. If you hold the phone in front of you as if you're reading it, it'll actually count pretty well. But put it in a pocket and it drops to around 30-40% of the actual step count. I gave up on the app.

An unironic dream of mine is to one day install and use a Tunga app.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Are the 9H tempered glass screen protectors actually useful? I bought one for like $6 for my Note 3 and have already applied it. Really, it's just to help protect the main screen from scratches. Does it really work though at protecting the screen from breaking or cracking?

Also, for anyone applying screen protectors. I learned a nice tip for applying them. Go into your bathroom, turn on your hot water in the shower and wait for it to get really steamy before applying the protector. It takes all the dust out of the air.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

SlayVus posted:

Are the 9H tempered glass screen protectors actually useful? I bought one for like $6 for my Note 3 and have already applied it. Really, it's just to help protect the main screen from scratches. Does it really work though at protecting the screen from breaking or cracking?

I've been wondering this also. My girlfriend had one on her iphone that just broke - the protector shattered, but the screen didn't. So it did it's job I guess - but I was wondering if the screen would have held up anyway if the protector wasn't on. I guess in my mind I just can't parse out how something sitting on top of the screen would absorb the shock enough to shatter the protector and not the screen?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

An unironic dream of mine is to one day install and use a Tunga app.
I have half a dozen personal apps that I've never finished because I always lose interest in projects and :effort:.

I did write about 75% of this but my job was "take this terrible iOS port* and make it not terrible" and as a result I would describe the outcome as "not terrible" and nothing more. So this probably won't fulfil your fantasies, sorry. It also won't display any content outside of the UK.

(*To give you an idea of how bad it was: the original devs had taken screenshots of things like switches and radio buttons on iOS and then imported those assets into the Android app.)

It's also the worst named app in history and we can't get it to show up on any meaningful search results.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 24, 2015

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I've been wondering this also. My girlfriend had one on her iphone that just broke - the protector shattered, but the screen didn't. So it did it's job I guess - but I was wondering if the screen would have held up anyway if the protector wasn't on. I guess in my mind I just can't parse out how something sitting on top of the screen would absorb the shock enough to shatter the protector and not the screen?

Yes. I've gone through a couple of tempered protectors after drops that only cracked the protector and not the screen behind it. If you have the ability to get one for your phone I highly recommend it.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

SlayVus posted:

Also, for anyone applying screen protectors. I learned a nice tip for applying them. Go into your bathroom, turn on your hot water in the shower and wait for it to get really steamy before applying the protector. It takes all the dust out of the air.

My assumption has always been that a fall the breaks the screen protector wouldn't necessarily have damaged the screen (which is likely much thicker), but it probably couldn't hurt. To me the main allure of the glass protector over a plastic film is extra scratch protection and the feel of real glass instead of plastic. The plastic protector I have on my ZF2 right now accumulates a lot more grease, etc. than the glass screens I've always had on my phones do, so I'm hoping a glass one would act more like a normal screen.

Sony was selling the T-mobile Z3 (full size, not compact) for $299 a few weeks ago. So bummed I missed out on that. The ZF2 is nice, but the wifi calling, waterproofing, and extra battery life would have been a huge upgrade for me.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Glass feels much nicer than plastic.

It fucks with my touchscreen gloves, though.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

vyst posted:

Yes. I've gone through a couple of tempered protectors after drops that only cracked the protector and not the screen behind it. If you have the ability to get one for your phone I highly recommend it.

http://www.xtremeguard.com

The price is like $95 but they always have a 90 or 95% off coupon, I have their tempered glass for all my families devices, and I love them:

• Nexus 5
  • Nexus 9
  • Nexus 6
  • iPhone 6
  • iPad Air
  • iPad Mini 2

They all fit perfect and work really well, people I show them too usually can't tell I have a screen protector on them. I dropped my N5 the other day and it chipped, but the screen was completely good. Also, they mail them in a regular envelope, so sometimes it takes a while. I ordered a set for all those devices, and after two weeks I still didn't have it. I emailed them, and they overnighted me the complete set again, and then the next day both were in the mail, I told them I'd send one back but they were like "lol why? keep it" then the next day I got another complete packet. Three for the price of one is not too shabby.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

My assumption has always been that a fall the breaks the screen protector wouldn't necessarily have damaged the screen (which is likely much thicker), but it probably couldn't hurt. To me the main allure of the glass protector over a plastic film is extra scratch protection and the feel of real glass instead of plastic. The plastic protector I have on my ZF2 right now accumulates a lot more grease, etc. than the glass screens I've always had on my phones do, so I'm hoping a glass one would act more like a normal screen.

Sony was selling the T-mobile Z3 (full size, not compact) for $299 a few weeks ago. So bummed I missed out on that. The ZF2 is nice, but the wifi calling, waterproofing, and extra battery life would have been a huge upgrade for me.

I just replaced one that had 3 pits in it, like rocks hitting a windshield. I dropped my phone and it hit the edges of a rack like cage, and that hit the screen 3 times on the way down; if there wasn't a screen protector there it would have definitely chipped it, if not cracked it.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Is there any way to change the look of Lollipop on a S5 without rooting and/or using Cyanogen Mod? So far all the super bright kinda pastel colors are my only concern with it, and I'd just like to tone things down a little bit.

I saw some really nice dark themes for CM12 but I'd rather not have to load that just to change how poo poo looks.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

Is there any way to change the look of Lollipop on a S5 without rooting and/or using Cyanogen Mod? So far all the super bright kinda pastel colors are my only concern with it, and I'd just like to tone things down a little bit.

I saw some really nice dark themes for CM12 but I'd rather not have to load that just to change how poo poo looks.

Does the S5 have the theme store like the S6 or no? Because there's a material theme for the S6.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Skeezy posted:

Does the S5 have the theme store like the S6 or no? Because there's a material theme for the S6.

Currently only available on the S6 and I'd be really surprised if it made it's way to older models.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
My POS Galaxy s5 locked itself with a numeric code I never set before it factory reset itself.

I lost all my photos and audio recordings. Is there a way to recover any of these?

I downloaded 5 or 6 PC programs but none of them work. I've tried 3 different USB cables.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Desk Lamp posted:

Currently only available on the S6 and I'd be really surprised if it made it's way to older models.

Yeah that's an S6 only thing :( You can get it on the S5, provided you root, but that just seems foolish for something that should be fairly straightforward to do.

I'll either just deal with it or cave and root like a loving nerd eventually :v:

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

ProperCoochie posted:

My POS Galaxy s5 locked itself with a numeric code I never set before it factory reset itself.

You either installed some ridiculously shady apps or the stars aligned in just the right way for the keyboard vulnerability exploit to actually work on someone.

If the pictures were on an SD card, and assuming you didn't encrypt it and it wasn't wiped by the factory reset then it should be trivial to get them back. Otherwise there's a long dark road between you and that data.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

X-post from the VZW thread:

So, any idea why Advanced Calling doesn't work on my (replacement) Turbo? It took a couple days for the option to enable itself when I first got it, but, now that it has, it doesn't seem to always work. Sometimes the dialer will display the "updated" layout, but it drops to 1X when I make the call. Other times, it shows the older dialer layout (with the End Call bar all the way across). WTF

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.
Anyone know if their reg S6 (I'm on T-Mo) fingerprint sensor is working fine on 5.1.1? Mine seems to be shooting out a constant error. Wiping does not seem to fix it.

"An error has occurred with the fingerprint sensor. if this message appears repeatedly, restart your device.""

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ProperCoochie posted:

I lost all my photos and audio recordings. Is there a way to recover any of these?

I downloaded 5 or 6 PC programs but none of them work. I've tried 3 different USB cables.

Did you not use auto backup for your pictures?

Nut Better
Feb 17, 2011

:same:

False Toaster posted:

Anyone know if their reg S6 (I'm on T-Mo) fingerprint sensor is working fine on 5.1.1? Mine seems to be shooting out a constant error. Wiping does not seem to fix it.

"An error has occurred with the fingerprint sensor. if this message appears repeatedly, restart your device.""

I haven't had any issues with mine (T-Mobile S6)

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

XIII posted:

X-post from the VZW thread:

So, any idea why Advanced Calling doesn't work on my (replacement) Turbo? It took a couple days for the option to enable itself when I first got it, but, now that it has, it doesn't seem to always work. Sometimes the dialer will display the "updated" layout, but it drops to 1X when I make the call. Other times, it shows the older dialer layout (with the End Call bar all the way across). WTF

Did you enable it on your Verizon profile?

FYI it's pretty poo poo even when it is 'working', so don't expect too much. The only current benefit from using it is if you need to use data while you make a call

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Anyone here replace the back on the Sony Z3 Compact (or Z3 proper)? My suddenly got a crack and am looking to swap it out. I'm concerned about losing waterproofing (and worse, not knowing that I did) while doing so. There is one on Amazon but only one 5 star review so not sure what the quality of the replacement is like.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

this_is_hard posted:

Did you enable it on your Verizon profile?

FYI it's pretty poo poo even when it is 'working', so don't expect too much. The only current benefit from using it is if you need to use data while you make a call

Yeah, it's been enabled for a while. I've tried disabling and re-enabling it on their site, as well as my phone. And, yeah, data while in a call doesn't work for me since Advanced Calling isn't working for whatever loving reason.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I've only ever used multiple profiles on my tablet, never my phone. If I set up a work profile on my phone will calls/texts coming into my number show in either profile? I assume that they would.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Email (exchange, gmail, and hotmail) is really starting to annoy me.

Originally I was using the stock samsung email app on my new s6. It was draining the battery pretty hard, so I tried setting up everything in gmail. I wasn't getting push notifications, so I disabled gmail and tried Typemail. I've been using Typemail for about a week, but it too eats up the battery. There has also been this generic sounding "Email sync" app that is using battery and using a bunch of background data.

Today I thought I'd try to fix some of these battery/data issues, so I uninstalled typemail. I removed my exchange account from settings -> accounts to prevent the stock email app from trying to do anything. I also restricted background data for that "Email sync" app, whatever that is. Now I've tried installing both Cloud Magic and AquaMail. Now I don't get any push notifications. I've tried restarting, wiping the cache partition, verifying sync settings etc..., but I'm not getting any push notifications.

Will multiple email apps interfere with each other? Do I need to have my exchange account listed on the account settings screen (independent of the actual AquaMail/etc... account)? This is so drat frustrating.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mr Executive posted:

Email (exchange, gmail, and hotmail) is really starting to annoy me.

Originally I was using the stock samsung email app on my new s6. It was draining the battery pretty hard, so I tried setting up everything in gmail. I wasn't getting push notifications, so I disabled gmail and tried Typemail. I've been using Typemail for about a week, but it too eats up the battery. There has also been this generic sounding "Email sync" app that is using battery and using a bunch of background data.

Today I thought I'd try to fix some of these battery/data issues, so I uninstalled typemail. I removed my exchange account from settings -> accounts to prevent the stock email app from trying to do anything. I also restricted background data for that "Email sync" app, whatever that is. Now I've tried installing both Cloud Magic and AquaMail. Now I don't get any push notifications. I've tried restarting, wiping the cache partition, verifying sync settings etc..., but I'm not getting any push notifications.

Will multiple email apps interfere with each other? Do I need to have my exchange account listed on the account settings screen (independent of the actual AquaMail/etc... account)? This is so drat frustrating.

Use Nine for exchange email. It's the best.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Use Nine for exchange email. It's the best.

I don't need all the features of Nine and I don't want to pay $10. And this seems like a core issue with my phone or Android, not the particular apps I'm using. I don't know if there's some setting somewhere that is screwing this up. I currently have Aquamail installed. When I select the Aquamail account in the settings->account screen and tell it to "sync now" it doesn't sync. I need to manually open the app and refresh the inbox to see the new email.

I've tried undoing the changes I made to restrict background data on different apps, but the problem is still there. I'm going to try re-adding the standalone exchange account and see if that fixes the problem.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mr Executive posted:

I don't need all the features of Nine and I don't want to pay $10. And this seems like a core issue with my phone or Android, not the particular apps I'm using. I don't know if there's some setting somewhere that is screwing this up. I currently have Aquamail installed. When I select the Aquamail account in the settings->account screen and tell it to "sync now" it doesn't sync. I need to manually open the app and refresh the inbox to see the new email.

I've tried undoing the changes I made to restrict background data on different apps, but the problem is still there. I'm going to try re-adding the standalone exchange account and see if that fixes the problem.

Try the nine trial. It's long enough to figure it out, and $10 is nothing, honestly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Try the nine trial. It's long enough to figure it out, and $10 is nothing, honestly.

I dunno, it's like 1/7 the cost of his phone and he gets to use it forever. Seems like kind of a lot!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

I dunno, it's like 1/7 the cost of his phone and he gets to use it forever. Seems like kind of a lot!

Also:

Mr Executive posted:

this seems like a core issue with my phone or Android, not the particular apps I'm using.

Everyone with Android having problems with Exchange seems unlikely. I'd guess it's your phone or your exchange server settings.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

You mean 1/70? And it's not the cost that really matters. It's the fact that it almost certainly won't work with the state of my phone right now. This is basic functionality that many email apps (including all the ones I'm trying) can do easily. Nine isn't consider the best because it's the only one that can push emails.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
Can you use the Outlook app? We have Office 365 at work and the app works OK.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Everyone with Android having problems with Exchange seems unlikely. I'd guess it's your phone or your exchange server settings.

When I first got the phone and setup the stock email app, it worked fine. The problem is that it was a battery hog, so I went looking for something else. I eventually settled on TypeMail which, again, worked perfectly except for battery usage. Today I went looking for something that wouldn't consume so much battery (which might ultimately just be something I have to live with) and managed to mess up stuff. I really don't want to wipe my phone and start over, so I was hoping someone had any ideas about what might be going on. I don't know if it's background data settings, the standalone exchange account, or something else that has suddenly prevented emails from being pushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Endless Mike posted:

this is a good way to think about spending money