Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Lol the Chinese envoy has a better handle on how to manage the local real estate market than the Premier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Pete+McMartin+Real+estate+data+provincial+government+studying/11161070/story.html

quote:

In the wake of Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson’s letter to Premier Christy Clark last week suggesting the provincial government should tax real estate flippers and owners of luxury homes, and the province’s reply to Robertson that perhaps the mayor should (and I paraphrase) suck eggs, we here at The Sun wondered how the provincial government can:

(a) Dismiss Robertson’s suggestions out of hand if there was a lack of data;

(b) Admit there was a lack of data but then quote a study by the B.C. Real Estate Association suggesting offshore investors had a negligible effect on the housing market (because, you know, the real estate industry is completely unbiased on this issue), and;

(c) Sleep at night.

Since demands have grown louder that our government provide some sort of verifiable data, we put questions to the premier’s office, the Ministry of Housing and the Ministry of Finance. (We asked the same set of questions of the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation. More on that in a future column.) A spokesman for Housing Minister Rich Coleman replied the minister was unavailable for comment. The premier’s office replied, after four days, that it was deferring to the Ministry of Finance. Our questions to the finance ministry and its answers follow:

The answers that the Ministry of Finance give do not inspire a lot of confidence that the BC Libs consider this a problem.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

The Lower Mainland has historically been an expensive market, primarily driven by economic activity, rising population due to in-migration, and a constrained geography.

The sheer number of loving idiots who believe this loving meme of "they're not making any more land"

Also, lol economy is strong

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/u-s-short-sellers-betting-on-canadian-housing-crash-an-accident-waiting-to-happen

quote:

U.S. short sellers betting on Canadian housing crash: ‘An accident waiting to happen’

VANCOUVER — Large Wall Street investors who made billions when the U.S. housing market collapsed in 2008 are now betting real estate values in Vancouver and other Canadian cities will crash, financial insiders say.

The hedge fund investors, known as short sellers, are betting against what they believe is a housing bubble in Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary and other Canadian cities. They believe Canadians hold too much mortgage debt, and that Canadian banks, mortgage insurers and “subprime” private lenders will lose money on unpaid loans when property prices fall.

“The cross currents are beyond crazy in Vancouver — it’s a mix of money laundering, speculation, low interest rates,” said Marc Cohodes, once called Wall Street’s highest-profile short-seller by The New York Times. “A house is something you live in, but in Vancouver you guys are trading them like the penny stocks on Howe Street.”

He says Vancouver real estate has reached peak insanity, and any number of factors could trigger a collapse.

Local real estate professionals predicted the U.S. investors are likely to lose their shirts betting against Vancouver property, which they described as a special market thriving on international demand.

But one Canadian housing analyst who advises U.S. clients, including Cohodes, said major investors are currently “building positions” against Canadian housing targets. They are forecasting a raise in historically low U.S. interest rates this fall will spill financial stress into Canada.

“All of the big global macro funds that were involved in betting against the U.S. in 2007 and 2008 and 2009, they’ve all studied Canadian housing for a few years,” said the Canadian analyst, who asked not to be named because of client confidentiality. “I know a number of them are shorting Canadian housing. It looks like an accident waiting to happen.”

This is although housing markets in Vancouver and Toronto have continued to rocket higher since international short-sellers started circling in 2013.

Short sellers use complex financial arrangements to make rapid profits when publicly traded stocks fall in value. In this case, they are betting against businesses connected to property and household debt. They are also betting against the Canadian dollar, because they believe it will decline significantly in a housing bust.

Most of these traders are employed by secretive New York investment funds that shy away from publicity, partly because they want to disguise how they lay their bets. A few though, like Cohodes, take the opposite approach.

He has come out of semi-retirement on his chicken farm in Northern California to make targeted bets against “subprime” Canadian lenders, who make loan to borrowers rejected by traditional banks.

The Canadian housing analyst noted short-selling bets against big Canadian banks have doubled in New York markets in the past several months. And the risk of a sharp housing correction connected to Canadians’ high household debt has risen since December, the Bank of Canada recently reported.

While short sellers point to Vancouver as the most extreme housing bubble in Canada, the analyst noted that some investors believe a massive flow of investment from Mainland China makes the market impervious to corrections.

Others speculate that if China’s economy slows dramatically, Vancouver housing will bust. “Toronto sees some offshore money from China, but definitely Vancouver is in its own world,” the analyst said. “Some of the guys that have timed this bet think that when China blows up Vancouver will blow up too, but I’m not sure that will happen.”

However, one of the world’s most influential investors — Laurence D. Fink, head of the world’s largest asset fund, BlackRock Inc. — recently declared Vancouver property is not only as good as gold, but better. “The two greatest stores of wealth internationally today are contemporary art, and apartments in Manhattan, Vancouver and London,” he told a conference of investors in Singapore.

Jonathan Cooper of MacDonald Realty Vancouver says evidence is mounting the city is, in fact, a special market. :laugh: “It’s an increasingly internationally-focused market with demand not just from Asia, but increasingly from Americans too,” Cooper said. He added he understands short sellers are betting against Vancouver, but he believes the speculators will lose.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
B-b-but the realtor board told the provincial government that international real estate investment was no more than 5%, and not to worry about it, two weeks ago. I am so confused.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

He says Vancouver real estate has reached peak insanity, and any number of factors could trigger a collapse.

Agh like what? Examples please? Every article I've ever read hand waves at this part, which is annoying because analysis of what could drive a collapse would be the most interesting part of the article. The lack of detail pushes these articles into fluff territory.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Femtosecond posted:

Agh like what? Examples please? Every article I've ever read hand waves at this part, which is annoying because analysis of what could drive a collapse would be the most interesting part of the article. The lack of detail pushes these articles into fluff territory.

They can't say what would trigger a collapse because CI would immediately go out and do it.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

It's weird that this article seems to try to frame Marc Cohodes as a Wall Street Hedge Fund titan, whereas in reality he only used to do that and he's now a chicken farmer that doesn't seem very involved in Wall Street at all.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I want our housing market to crash too, it's not based on reality and is hurting the middle class.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

jm20 posted:

I want our housing market to crash too, it's not based on reality and is hurting the middle class.

It's hurting people that are trying to and traditionally would enter the middle-class, but sadly the middle class that already exists is increasingly reliant on the housing bubble being maintained. That's not an ideal situation, of course, but you have to recognize that's why every politician is absolutely frightened of doing anything to depress property values.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Femtosecond posted:

It's weird that this article seems to try to frame Marc Cohodes as a Wall Street Hedge Fund titan, whereas in reality he only used to do that and he's now a chicken farmer that doesn't seem very involved in Wall Street at all.

There is as of yet no method known to humanity that can predict a market crash to specific means or time. There are simply too many factors involved can both trigger or prolong the time it takes for it all to fall down. Anyone that tells you anything else either got lucky during the last bubble and/or is an idiot.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
And if we did, we'd be richer than god.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

ð’» 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®ð’ ð’¾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

jm20 posted:

A crash will hurt everyone. It's too late to save Vancouver now.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Well, I've decided that the market in Whistler is where I can buy a fixer-upper with a good deposit that I can afford for cheaper than I could rent.

So, basically what I'm saying is the market has until I've saved a deposit to crash, or I will be that last bear standing that buys in and triggers it all.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

HookShot posted:

Well, I've decided that the market in Whistler is where I can buy a fixer-upper with a good deposit that I can afford for cheaper than I could rent.

So, basically what I'm saying is the market has until I've saved a deposit to crash, or I will be that last bear standing that buys in and triggers it all.

Skiing aside, how is it to live full time in Whistler?

I can't help but be put off by the idea given the legions of Jagerbomb-fuelled bros roaming around whenever I'm up there, but I imagine your perspective and experience is quite different.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I've been sitting on a down payment for a while but my wife is starting to go too house crazy. Fortunately in the end her practicality kicks in so when "I like this house, but...' goes on to a laundry list of things that she doesn't like, she's content to wait.

The last house we saw was so nice and nicely priced to where I actually wanted it, until my wife told me how much it'd cost to do a helical lift job on the corner that's starting to sink. It was the only thing wrong with the house but it added another 25K to the price tag and she put the brakes on that thought.

She agreed to only half rear end the job search this year but by the end of 2016, she wants a house, come hell or high water.

So unless one of us loses our job by then or the market implodes, I'll be the last bear.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

So glad I finally landed a new better paying job. Handing in my notice was very satisfying.

Bravo, one of the smartest you can do career-wise is read the writing on wall and realize that your current company is probably hosed in the long run.

Things like massive layoffs and also not being able to score new contracts are pretty big red flags.

Hope you are happy at your new job.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

HookShot posted:

Wouldn't Squamish be almost as good but cheaper? I don't spend enough time in Squamish to know why it's worse or better than Whistler. I only go there occasionally to hike the Chief.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Lexicon posted:

Skiing aside, how is it to live full time in Whistler?

I can't help but be put off by the idea given the legions of Jagerbomb-fuelled bros roaming around whenever I'm up there, but I imagine your perspective and experience is quite different.

Living outside the village is totally different to being in it. Like, the only time we ever encounter Jagerbomb-fueled bros is on major holidays like New Years or May long or whatever, and even then it's really never been that loud, just a bit of normal apartment noise that we only really notice because this whole building is so empty that there's usually just us and one other couple with their young daughter who live one floor up on the other side of the building.

Food is more expensive, but manageably so. Shop the sales and it really comes out to about the same price as in Squamish for most things... things like shampoo, advil and stuff is really expensive here for some reason, so whenever we go to Squamish (every two months or so maybe?) I stock up with like 10 bottles of shampoo and advil. But you quickly learn what falls into the "stock up in Squamish" categories. Also things like spud.ca are awesome for Whistler life.

There's a real sense of community here, too. Even among the people that don't necessarily plan on living here forever. There's tons of organized sports, so many things to do, even in summer, you get to know a lot of the local people, it's all really tight-nit since it's such a small community of permanent residents.

I would say you're way better off with a car if you can afford it though. The buses run fairly regularly, but if you live on the outskirts in say, Emerald or Cheakamus, you're often only going to get a bus like once an hour. The bus drivers are awesome though. I've regularly seen someone not be able to pay the fare, or who forgot some cash, and have the bus driver just be like "yeah whatever I don't care get on". In the summer it doesn't matter as much because you can bike everywhere (the valley trail is amazing for that, I can get basically anywhere in Whistler without driving on the road) but in winter it would suck.

Also we have the best "crime reports" of any local newspaper ever. Last week two English people got arrested for having sex in a hotel pool (that they weren't guests at, they climbed a fence to get in), they were visibly wasted, the guy kept walking around with just a towel around his waist that kept falling down and when people bitched at him for banging his girlfriend in front of kids he replied with "well they're gonna have to learn what it's like sometime." And that's basically par for the course, other than the theft reports, and an oddly high number of people exposing themselves.

I love it though. This weekend when it's hot out I'm going to take my kindle with my dog and go hang out on a nature trail by Fitzsimmons creek where she can swim and I can read, in the shade, and then we're going to go get lunch at the Farmer's Market, then play at the dog beach and go hiking (in the shadey parts of the park) and try to forget that it's going to be disgusting degrees out.

Femtosecond posted:

Wouldn't Squamish be almost as good but cheaper? I don't spend enough time in Squamish to know why it's worse or better than Whistler. I only go there occasionally to hike the Chief.
Definitely not. First of all I have no desire to spend 40 minutes on the sea to sky every day with people from Vancouver driving too slowly to get up to the ski hills. Secondly it's a totally different community. It's way bigger, it's more of a city, I love how small and intimate Whistler is. I love being a four minute drive from ski hills (I ski 100 days a year on Whistler mountain, that driving time adds up), right by a bunch of glacier fed lakes, it's really a unique place and I wouldn't live in Squamish even if it is cheaper because it's just... different, and not where I want to spend the forseeable future.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 25, 2015

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

100 days of skiing a year! Nice. Makes sense. It's the same reason I live downtown and not in Surrey. Everything I do is downtown and so it's not worth the commute to be anywhere else.

I'm a bit curious about Squamish just because its location between Vancouver and Whistler is kind of compelling. I'd love to see it grow to be a pretty neat community. It's on my short list of places to look into if I ever had a family and needed to move out of the City. I knew an architect that was working on a community plan for Squamish to help improve their city and make it more dense and walkable, which sounded great to me, but I don't know if anything ever came of it.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
English people, unironically, should be banned from Canada. gently caress em

Human loving garbage

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cultural Imperial posted:

English people, unironically, should be banned from Canada. gently caress em

Human loving garbage

Banned from leaving England, more like.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

PT6A posted:

Banned from leaving England, more like.

more loik, more like.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

:canada:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

ð’» 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®ð’ ð’¾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Femtosecond posted:

100 days of skiing a year! Nice. Makes sense. It's the same reason I live downtown and not in Surrey. Everything I do is downtown and so it's not worth the commute to be anywhere else.

I'm a bit curious about Squamish just because its location between Vancouver and Whistler is kind of compelling. I'd love to see it grow to be a pretty neat community. It's on my short list of places to look into if I ever had a family and needed to move out of the City. I knew an architect that was working on a community plan for Squamish to help improve their city and make it more dense and walkable, which sounded great to me, but I don't know if anything ever came of it.

They're about to add multi thousands of residential units to Squamish that will totally change its feel, for the better if you're a yuppie, for the worse if you want to live in a cheap Surrey By The Mountain. The Sea to Sky improvements before the Olympics turned into a more viable suburb than Abbotsford. Unfortunately nothing will ever be done about Lions Gate bridge so they will just make all of us on the north shore even more suicidal.

I always thought if I was gonna move way out I'd rather live there than the east Fraser Valley. Amazing potential.

Relevant article: https://www.biv.com/article/2015/6/residential-development-boom-looms-squamish/

quote:

Several large residential projects on Squamish’s development horizon promise to increase the town’s appeal for residents who make the 45-minute commute to Vancouver and entrepreneurs who want to start businesses in the waterfront community.

The District of Squamish is nearing the end of a rezoning process that would allow two packages of district-owned land to house about 1,100 residential units.

District council unanimously supports rezoning the 100-acre oceanfront land and selling it to a group made up of local developer Bethel Lands Corp. and Texas-based Matthews Southwest.

Adjoining land that is on the same peninsula as the oceanfront property, about two kilometres south of downtown Squamish, could house an additional 2,000 units, District of Squamish Mayor Patricia Heintzman told Business in Vancouver.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

They're about to add multi thousands of residential units to Squamish that will totally change its feel, for the better if you're a yuppie, for the worse if you want to live in a cheap Surrey By The Mountain. The Sea to Sky improvements before the Olympics turned into a more viable suburb than Abbotsford. Unfortunately nothing will ever be done about Lions Gate bridge so they will just make all of us on the north shore even more suicidal.

I always thought if I was gonna move way out I'd rather live there than the east Fraser Valley. Amazing potential.

Relevant article: https://www.biv.com/article/2015/6/residential-development-boom-looms-squamish/

I will be shocked if that proposal passes environment this fall. Literally their entire snowfall forecast is "well we're near Whistler so it'll be the same as them" even though they're directly next to the water so a lot warmer, and lower than Whistler. They've had ten years to actually measure snowfall, which means their mountain resort doesn't actually get snow. It's going to get nixed. Plus there's about 50 other reasons why it won't work but I'm phone posting and 'no snow' is a big or for a ski resort.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

http://business.financialpost.com/news/property-post/economists-question-foreign-investment-concerns-in-canadian-housing?__lsa=4f8c-d49a

Economists question foreign investment concerns in Canadian housing

CIBC deputy economist Benjamin Tal is lashing out at people who compare the Canadian housing market to its American counterpart and is downplaying fears of foreign investment.

In a report co-authored with senior economist Andrew Grantham, the say they want no part of the cross-border comparison.

“We purposely did not compare the current situation in Canada to the U.S. market in 2006. That would be setting the bar too low. Comparing Canada to the pre-crisis U.S. market is not only wrong but also irresponsible. And looking at Canada in absolute terms reveals a multidimensional market and differing directions at the same time,” they write, adding it is still possible for the domestic housing market to overshoot.

“One reason why it’s unwise to compare the Canadian housing market of today to the U.S. market before it crashed is that, unlike the situation stateside, there isn’t anywhere near the same degree of overbuilding in Canada relative to household formation. In fact, the ratio of housing starts to household formation is not far from its long-run average of 1.03.”

The economist also took dead aim at the issue of foreign investors in the housing market which has so spooked Canadians that even the mayor of Vancouver is now calling for a special tax aimed at speculators.

“The issue of foreign investors is largely misunderstood. The share of those investors in total activity is much smaller than perceived. The more significant portion is coming from a situation in which the money is coming from abroad but the family lives in Canada. Is that foreign or domestic investment?” Tal and Grantham write.

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. has only studied the issue from the condominium perspective but found only 2.4 per cent of buyers in Toronto were foreign.

The report also notes a long-held standard in the development community which usually requires a down payment of least 30 per cent from foreign buyers because of the difficulty in seeking legal recourse should they walk away from an investment.

“This kind of activity requires a much larger down payment and the fact that the family lives in the house suggests a much higher level of commitment than a typical investor. So in terms of risk, this segment of the market is relatively safe,” write Tal and Grantham about foreign ownership.

Nevertheless, the economists can see some cracks forming in the condominium market, namely competition from so-called purpose built apartment buildings directly aimed at renters. Condominiums have turned out to be a bit of hybrid, some bought by end users but a significant portion purchased by investors whose goal is to rent the property out to cover their costs.

“Condos have also been acting as an important counterbalance in the rental market in Canada’s major cities. In recent years, the proportion of condos made available to rent has steadily increased. But rather than a disturbing trend suggesting that private investors are being overly optimistic regarding the safety of housing, it helped offset a very subdued trend in purpose-built apartment buildings,” the report says.

The problem is demand for rental units is dropping at a time when rental construction is rising. They say the annual increase in demand for rental units likely peaked in 2012 and is now slowly moderating and expects rents to stay flat in the coming year.

“That moderation in rent inflation and the eventual increase in borrowing cost is probably the most significant challenge that will face the condo market,” the economists write.

Overall, they say the real test for the housing market will come if interest rates start to rise. “Higher interest rates probably will not lead to a wave of defaults as feared by many, but could act as a major drag on overall economic activity via the impact on consumer spending (as more income is devoted to servicing debt) and the potentially significant impact on job creation in real estate-related sectors,” say Tal and Grantham.

It'll be interesting to see if Condo owners are able to pick up on the changing nature of the market, or if they'll continue to assume they'll be able to find a renter to pay for their investment property.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I hope that this will mean the idea of an "investment condo" can go die in a fire. I think this will be good for people who actually want to own and live in condos, since it will increase the number of owner-occupied units and likely decrease overall prices. Before someone misinterprets me, I think owner-occupied condos are better than rented condos not because renters are scum, but because the owners of those rental condos tend to be cheap fucks more concerned about their bottom line than the quality of life in the building, and they, not their renters, get voting power.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Wrong thread

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 25, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The number of renters in my building is a serious problem. These guys have no loving interest in the building and any sort of fee increase gets fought tooth and nail. It just boils down to them making money from renting.

Then of course there's the reverse where our condo board president is burning through the reserve fund at an alarming rate. I'm pretty sure there's going to be a special assessment about two years from now based on my rough math. Gotta get out before the next reserve fund study is done.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

As Ian Young points out, "foreign investors" is a total canard. The only question that matters is the presence of "foreign money" - i.e. money external to the [mostly middling] economy in places like Vancouver.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Found this :psyduck: condo layout from a new build in Calgary. Jesus Christ who makes these things?

And who buys them?!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sitchensis posted:

Found this :psyduck: condo layout from a new build in Calgary. Jesus Christ who makes these things?

And who buys them?!

That's legit not the worst floorplan for a 2BR I've ever seen.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I think torontonians are rapidly making a solid case for taking away the crown of worst waste of skin from vancouverites

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/toronto-million-dollar-home-hyrdo-pole-809202

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
They should attach some unnecessary retaining wires to the pole to spite those yuppies.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

I wanna know more about the beautiful, creosote soaked pole that obscures the boring people. So mysterious and alluring.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Of course his name would be Todd and of course they paid 156k over asking.

quote:

Shirley and Todd Ankenmann loved everything about the home they purchased in Bloor West Village in 2012. So much so, they paid $156,000 over the asking price.

“We didn’t know until they showed up with the pole. We literally had no clue,” Todd said.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Ikantski posted:

lol

also this story: http://www.torontolife.com/informer/toronto-real-estate/2015/06/25/the-chase-leslieville-fixer-upper/

The Chase: a couple blows past their budget to land a Leslieville fixer-upper posted:

After renting a condo in the West Don Lands for six months, Timothy and Megan decided they were ready to commit—to each other (they’re newly engaged) and to a home. They wanted a sizable yard (for Timothy, who loves gardening) and a second floor with at least two bedrooms, for a future child or two. Starting with a budget of $500,000, they focused their search in Corktown and South Riverdale, figuring they’d get more house for their money east of Yonge than west. Several bidding wars later, they realized they’d need to boost their budget to land a home anywhere near their desired location.

The Buy
$720,000, sold for $705,000.

This three-bedroom row house had been sitting on the market for months, and it was clear why: it felt dated and reeked of cigarettes. But the ceilings were high and there was plenty of space, including a basement rental suite. For around $50,000 in renovations, they realized, they could have everything they wanted, plus a tenant. The seller signed back their first two offers before accepting their third, at just under asking. In April, they moved into the basement—the only habitable part of the house until the construction dust settles.

Couple blows their budget by $250,000 (50%) to live in the basement of a dump while it gets renovated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ikantski posted:

Can't wait to see how much under asking he sells it for. :allears: