Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wonder how he picked the name "Bobby" considering his given name of Piyush. "Peter" seems like the natural choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
of all the ways im ready to make fun of republicans anglicized names dont even hit the list. please dont care.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Josh Lyman posted:

I wonder how he picked the name "Bobby" considering his given name of Piyush. "Peter" seems like the natural choice.

If he were watching the Brady bunch in 2015 he might have chosen Jan instead! :freepsay:

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Also, this article from the NYTimes just came out about Scott Walker's struggles to get a budget passed in Wisconsin and how the budget and the general policies of his government relate to his planned run for President.

Scott Walker, Set for a Bigger Stage, Faces G.O.P. Revolt in Wisconsin

quote:

MADISON, Wis. — As Gov. Scott Walker prepares to announce his campaign for president next month, promising to bring what he calls “big bold leadership” to Washington, as he did in Wisconsin, he faces a cloud over that story line: Republicans back home are in revolt.

Leaders of Mr. Walker’s party, which controls the Legislature, are balking at his demands for the state’s budget. Critics say the governor’s spending blueprint is aimed more at appealing to conservatives in early-voting states like Iowa than doing what is best for Wisconsin.

Lawmakers are stymied over how to pay for road and bridge repairs without raising taxes or fees, which Mr. Walker has ruled out.

The governor’s fellow Republicans rejected his proposal to borrow $1.3 billion for the roadwork, arguing that adding to the state’s debt is irresponsible.

“The governor rolled out $1.3 billion in bonding,” Scott Fitzgerald, the Senate majority leader, said in an interview. “It’s not been well received, is the best way to put it.”

The budget stalemate forced Mr. Walker late last week to move the goal posts on the announcement of his all-but-certain presidential candidacy. For months, he said it would come after he signed a new budget — timing meant to contrast his ability to get things done with Washington dysfunction.

But on Thursday, Mr. Walker said he would announce after “the end of the budget year.” That is, any time after June 30, the last day of the fiscal year. With lawmakers saying they might not finish their work before mid-July, he will not wait for a finished budget.

A spokeswoman for Mr. Walker, AshLee Strong, said the governor “is optimistic an agreement will be reached in the coming weeks.”

It is unclear if Mr. Walker’s feud with his Legislature will ripple out to voter perceptions beyond Wisconsin. Polls suggest that he is the early front-runner in Iowa and a top-tier candidate nationally, because of his reputation with conservatives built on defeating public-sector unions and surviving a recall election in his first term.

Mr. Walker is making the case that unlike the senators in the Republican race, who include Marco Rubio of Florida, Ted Cruz of Texas and Rand Paul of Kentucky, he has a record of hard-won policy achievements.

“Some want you to think they fight,” Mr. Walker wrote of his rivals on the conservative website RedState last week. “But speeches aren’t fighting or winning.”

In front of partisan audiences around the country, Mr. Walker often portrays himself as more ideologically conservative than he has been in Wisconsin. He takes credit, for example, for signing an anti-union “right to work” law this year, something that actually bubbled up from his Legislature after the governor insisted in his re-election race in 2014 that it was not a priority.

“I don’t think he’d be in the position he’s in right now if it wasn’t for the Republican Legislature,” said Mr. Fitzgerald, who sponsored the bill. “We’ve been a big part of that list of reforms.”

Mr. Walker has notched other recent successes in the Legislature that are red-meat issues on the campaign trail, such as requiring drug testing for people on public assistance and loosening tenure protection for professors.

One issue he played down in 2014 but has seized on in early nominating states, where social conservatives are highly influential, is banning abortions after 20 weeks.

Mr. Walker repeatedly refused to say if he favored such a ban during his close re-election last year, when polls showed him unpopular among women. In March, as doubts about his anti-abortion credentials were raised by national conservatives, he pledged to sign a 20-week ban that was “likely to come to my desk.”

What he did not explain was that he had asked Wisconsin lawmakers to send him just such a bill, during a meeting in his office with Mr. Fitzgerald and Robin Vos, the speaker of the State Assembly, also a Republican.

“Walker weighed in and said the 20-week abortion ban is something he would like to see hit his desk,” Mr. Fitzgerald said. “It sent a message to us.”

The governor specified that the bill should include no exceptions for rape or incest, according to Mr. Fitzgerald.

The dispute with the Legislature is, at root, a debate over what is best for Wisconsin’s economy. Republican lawmakers favor investments in infrastructure and higher education, and the governor is committed to not raising taxes.

Mr. Vos has accused Mr. Walker of avoiding an “adult conversation” on infrastructure costs.

On the campaign trail, Mr. Walker boasts of lowering taxes by $2 billion and presiding over a drop in unemployment from 7.7 percent in January 2011, when he took office, to 4.6 percent. His fiscal discipline is echoed in his penny-pinching lifestyle. (He recently told of buying a $1 sweater at Kohl’s.)

What he does not mention is that Wisconsin ranked 35th in job growth in the nation during his first term, and that it trails its neighbors in the Upper Midwest.

The tax cuts and weakening of public sector unions have not spurred the economy enough to avoid a projected budget deficit over the coming two years.

The state’s nonpartisan budget office estimated this year that Wisconsin would save $345 million in its budget over two years by accepting Medicaid expansion under the Affordable Care Act. Unlike the Republican governors of four nearby states, Mr. Walker refused expansion, a litmus test for conservatives.

The governor got the greatest resistance on his budget blueprint, which covers two years, over two proposals: to fill a hole in the transportation fund with the debt financing, and to cut $300 million from the University of Wisconsin system.

“The university doesn’t deserve this cut,” said Senator Luther Olsen, a Republican, as lawmakers voted last month to restore $50 million of the governor’s cuts. “We are fools if we go around bashing one of the best things in the state of Wisconsin.”

To pay for road and bridge projects, Mr. Vos, the Assembly speaker, and other Republicans favor raising vehicle registration fees. Mr. Walker labeled a fee increase the same as a tax increase, and promised a veto.

“He wants to make a political point that ‘I didn’t increase fees or taxes,’ ” said Representative Gordon Hintz, a Democrat on the Joint Finance Committee, which drafts the budget. “The false choice created by the governor’s presidential politics leads to outcomes which negatively impact the people of Wisconsin.”

To accommodate the governor, Republicans are wrangling behind closed doors over some combination of borrowing and delaying needed projects.

The governor’s press secretary, Laurel Patrick, said Mr. Walker had been consistent in opposing an increase in the gas tax or vehicle fees without a corresponding cut in taxes. “While obviously not our preferred option, if legislators choose to reduce bonding for transportation in the budget, Governor Walker would sign it,” Ms. Patrick said in a statement.

Mr. Fitzgerald, the Senate majority leader, said he did not have the votes to pass a budget yet. “We’re trying to figure out how to get out of the box,” he said.

Just like Jindal, Walker is facing lawmakers, some from his own party, who are annoyed by the inflexibility caused by their run for President. Are there any other notable examples of this from this year?

Though, how would you tell the difference between:

a Republican who obstinately won't raise taxes because he's running for President, and
a Republican who obstinately won't raise taxes because he's a Republican?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Firebert posted:

How the ever living gently caress is Trump second?

Don't ask questions, you'll jynx it! :ohdear:

Joementum posted:

The question is: what could Donald Trump possibly say that's so dumb he'd sink his campaign? This is from his talk to the Maryland Republicans last night:

The snippets of Trump's interview with Bill O'Reilly were also just...delicious. Any other candidate would start asking themselves some serious questions if they got mocked by O'Reilly. Luckily, The Donald is not 'any other candidate'.

A nice link here with video and some choice quotes. Picking a favourite is like saying which of my nieces and nephews I like best, but I think I have to go with this one. It's short, pithy and 110% Trump.

Cartoonesque blowhard with a hairpiece posted:

“There’s nobody bigger or better at the military than I am,”

richardfun fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 25, 2015

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

William Bear posted:

See for yourself. How far can you make it through his response to Obama's 2009 joint address to Congress?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFK8aTpYAmg

Can he not say "president"? Who is this "presint"?

slogula
Oct 2, 2013

William Bear posted:

See for yourself. How far can you make it through his response to Obama's 2009 joint address to Congress?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFK8aTpYAmg

Don't miss out on the totally normal way he walks to the podium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmNM0oj79t8

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Joementum posted:

The question is: what could Donald Trump possibly say that's so dumb he'd sink his campaign? This is from his talk to the Maryland Republicans last night:

Trump's campaign really takes campaigning for President to its logical conclusion and makes the process into a full on reality television show. Trump himself is the obnoxious guy that everybody wants to get booted off right away, and everyone knows that he is going to eventually, but they keep him around for weeks and weeks.

mooyashi posted:

tell me the amount you'd wager against my hundred that you think Trump carries a god drat thing. I'll throw a toxx on it too.

You might say his campaign isn't all that it's... Trumped up to be! :haw:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

They chose the perfect face for Santorum.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Larch posted:

They chose the perfect face for Santorum.

I'm fond of the floating, haloed Cruz head myself.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

I like that despite Graham being the more "serious" GOP candidate as far as his record is concerned he still doesn't have a chance in hell

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

There are big differences between the numbers here. I hope this means that fox news learned nothing from the last election and keep skewing polls to make sure their fake reality is thought to be accurate until election night.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Obamacare lives.

I wonder what the new Repub talking points will be...

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

neonnoodle posted:

Obamacare lives.

They'll figure it out after they all secretly let out a huge sigh of relief.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

RZA Encryption posted:

There are big differences between the numbers here. I hope this means that fox news learned nothing from the last election and keep skewing polls to make sure their fake reality is thought to be accurate until election night.

One is the individual Fox News poll, while what decides who is in the debate is an average of multiple polls, some of which at this point came before Trump's announcement and his YOOGE momentum shift.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Womp Womp

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

"The only healthcare America needs is found in my book and prayer kit available now for two easy payments of $17.76"

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Gravel Gravy posted:

"The only healthcare America needs is found in my book and prayer kit available now for two easy payments of $17.76"

Or JEB's apple watch

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Gravel Gravy posted:

Due to the events of the past week it's on sale now for $14.88.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Marbury v. Madison don't real

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

neonnoodle posted:

Obamacare lives.

50/50 chance of them running on repealing it or just quietly letting it be settled.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

how do you poll sub-Pataki????

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

slogula posted:

Don't miss out on the totally normal way he walks to the podium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmNM0oj79t8

Matthews' "Oh God!" is what really makes it

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

He's brown?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

A friend of mine who lives in New Orleans and who I sincerely believe would castrate Jindal given a pair of rusty shears and five minutes alone with him posted this article which should answer any questions: http://m.thenation.com/blog/210793-bobby-jindal-broke-louisiana-so-badly-even-gop-doesnt-want-him

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Bobby also sounds like "Bhabi", the Hindi word for sister-in-law. Don't know what he was going for there.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Scalia, Thomas & Alito posted:

We should start calling this law SCOTUScare.

Perhaps the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act will attain the enduring status of the Social Security Act or the Taft-Hartley Act; perhaps not. But this Court’s two decisions on the Act will surely be remembered through the years. The somersaults of statutory interpretation they have performed (“penalty” means tax, “further [Medicaid] payments to the State” means only incremental Medicaid payments to the State, “established by the State” means not established by the State) will be cited by litigants endlessly, to the confusion of honest jurisprudence. And the cases will publish forever the discouraging truth that the Supreme Court of the United States favors some laws over others, and is prepared to do whatever it takes to uphold and assist its favorites.

I dissent.

Even if the Republican party decides to sweep it all under the rug, the dissenting judges are really loving salty about this.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FAUXTON posted:

Instead of skeletons in his closet, Jindal has fedoras.

Seriously.

The most striking part of that exorcism story isn't that he kidnapped a friend and performed an exorcism because he assumed her depression over a serious health crisis had to be caused be a demonic possession. It SHOULD be the most striking part of the story, but its not.

The most striking part of the story is that he says he has an "intimate" relationship with a woman he's never made any physical contact with and hasn't spoken to in a year, when she breaks down emotionally because of what she's going through he offers no support or comfort but asks others to do it and insists on not talking about it, and when she finally asks him to talk he actually refuses and she gets pissed off. And he can't understand WHY she's pissed off so demonic possession totally makes sense.

Bobby Jindal is autistic.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Aurubin posted:

He's brown?
Counterpoint: Ben Carson at 10%.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

My grandparents are obsessed with Carson. I don't get it. They keep wanting me to watch some movie about him.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Josh Lyman posted:

"$140 million for something called 'volcano monitoring' "

The best part of that quote is that not even a month after he said it a volcano north of Achorage in the middle of a prominent airlane blew an ash cloud all over a big chunk of Alaska. Thanks to the monitoring program we knew the eruption was coming, the FAA was able to redirect flight routes and nobody died.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

RZA Encryption posted:

My grandparents are obsessed with Carson. I don't get it. They keep wanting me to watch some movie about him.

Ben Carson's story is inspirational. You just have to entirely ignore Carson as a person.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, he's got a super compelling story. He just happens to be insane and utterly clueless to just about every thing except that one field of expertise he inspirationally rose in.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The X-man cometh posted:

Bobby also sounds like "Bhabi", the Hindi word for sister-in-law. Don't know what he was going for there.

He picked it when he was a child while watching The Brady Bunch. This is normal. I have a friend who was asked to pick an English name when she started kindergarten. She picked "Vinnie" because she thought it sounded cute. No one told her it was a boy's name.

Focusing on his name is really really stupid and verging on racist, so you should all stop it. His name is Bobby, who the gently caress cares.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The X-man cometh posted:

Did he immigrate directly to Louisiana? Because if so, "Bobby" is probably as close as you could get to a default name beyond going straight Tibideaux

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Welp, with the Obamacare decision over, that just leaves the gay marriage rulling. That is coming up incredibly soon, right?

From what I've been reading, that seems even more of a safe bet than the Obamacare ruling.

I just wonder how all this is going to affect the election cycle.

How hard will these blowhards blow?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh man, the 37 Republican Candidates are going to have a field day running around and yelling about this stuff. I've already heard Paul and Rubio saying the expected stuff. I can't wait for Trump and Carson.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-06-25/bernie-sanders-gains-on-hillary-clinton-in-bloomberg-early-state-polling

bernie sanders has gained about 10 points in iowa and nh against hillary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

Oh man, the 37 Republican Candidates are going to have a field day running around and yelling about this stuff. I've already heard Paul and Rubio saying the expected stuff. I can't wait for Trump and Carson.

I can't wait for the Republican nominee's campaign slogan to be something like "Vote for me, vote for America!" and they get destroyed in the general election

Sometimes you have to put the writing on the wall to explain how wrong people are

• Locked thread