Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Oh yeah, the patch is up. Hope this is it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Hazdoc posted:

Oh yeah, the patch is up. Hope this is it.

And as usual gently caress yeurop.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
NA server is still down, probably until stated time.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Patch downtime been extended a couple hours.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Crash74 posted:

Wait what? there getting rid of the des moines?

What Aesis said, just have to do the (much worse) grind again. The Des Moines is a murder machine compared to the ships that come before it in Tiers 7-9.

I'll update the patch, but will be playing Witcher 3 on my new graphics card first. :supaburn:

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Largepotato posted:

Patch downtime been extended a couple hours.

I heard this too but no source was provided. Do you have one?

edit: in the patch notes, nevermind :downs:

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 25, 2015

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Rip, 2x to 3.5x increase in the cost of all modules and ships, poo poo's gonna be grindy as gently caress, considering botes games last a bit longer than tanks. On the other hand they're going to bring back old-style manual torp drops, no more circling way the gently caress out and then running on their target.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
How do the Japanese 8" guns compare to the American 8"? I've played through the American tree and found all the 8" cruisers to be ridiculously accurate and easy to hit things with. With the New Orleans and Baltimore I was reliably hitting destroyers 10-12 km out no matter how they moved.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Is it worth it to play on the US server for an EU player? Or should I just let one of you greedy bastards get my bundle codes.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

In case you don't want to play NA, greedy bastard reporting in. :v:

edit: for the murmansk code at least, I bought into CBT. I wonder if the CBT code lets people into the alleged head start for OBT?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

TehKeen posted:

In case you don't want to play NA, greedy bastard reporting in. :v:

edit: for the murmansk code at least, I bought into CBT. I wonder if the CBT code lets people into the alleged head start for OBT?
gently caress it, take the drat Murmansk:

M539T-XDXVV-A245T-4K2H4

Beta key:

F93KB-5VT4P-T5A5C-M376Z

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Rincewinds posted:

Beta key:

F93KB-5VT4P-T5A5C-M376Z

Sniped the beta access, many thanks <3

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Another beta key for those that can't wait:

F93KC-9CXVC-N5ZK7-U3TES

What was the World of Tanks code good for? If we share stuff after this OBT starts, I've never played world of tanks... anything usable for warships in terms of MONEY.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Rincewinds posted:

gently caress it, take the drat Murmansk:

M539T-XDXVV-A245T-4K2H4

Someone beat me to it. :(

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

TehKeen posted:

Someone beat me to it. :(

In hindsight, I should have asked for email or something if I wanted it to be first come, first serve.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Okay so 0.4.0 is a wipe. Will there be another wipe at OBT launch?
And more importantly, will there be another wipe once the game releases?

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?

Michaellaneous posted:

Okay so 0.4.0 is a wipe. Will there be another wipe at OBT launch?
And more importantly, will there be another wipe once the game releases?

They've said no more wipes after this one.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

ohsosad posted:

They've said no more wipes after this one.

Fuckin' finally.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

What to poop sock first? I kind of went shotgun approach the first time, down all lines at one time.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

jownzy posted:

What to poop sock first? I kind of went shotgun approach the first time, down all lines at one time.

Cruiser will be king, as always. Both lines are strong. IJN CL/CAs get larger sized guns earlier.
Don't do Carriers.
If you wanna do battleships keep in mind american BBs suck until NC.
Destroyers are your choice: American DDs have great guns but poo poo torps, otherway around for IJN.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Another 2 hour downtime extension. New eta is 2 pm et. :psyboom:

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Michaellaneous posted:

Cruiser will be king, as always. Both lines are strong. IJN CL/CAs get larger sized guns earlier.
Don't do Carriers.
If you wanna do battleships keep in mind american BBs suck until NC.
Destroyers are your choice: American DDs have great guns but poo poo torps, otherway around for IJN.

Yep, got to the NC, loved it. I will not be wasting time with carriers, as that only led to inconsistent performance and consistent frustration.

Got stopped on the Mogami and Pensacola. With the increased grind, not sure I'm looking forward to the end game on those lines.

I know I'll be trying hoping on the IJN DD, once Open Beta is open to everyone... because that will be fun.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

jownzy posted:

Yep, got to the NC, loved it. I will not be wasting time with carriers, as that only led to inconsistent performance and consistent frustration.

Got stopped on the Mogami and Pensacola. With the increased grind, not sure I'm looking forward to the end game on those lines.

I know I'll be trying hoping on the IJN DD, once Open Beta is open to everyone... because that will be fun.

Grind won't be as awful because the ships actually get better and better with each new one, so you will be always having fun.
The Omaha is great, Cleveland is a ton of fun, the Pepsicola packs a mean punch. The New Orleans is the only small dip, after that straight to Baltimore and Des Moins. There is basically not a single bad ship in the upper tiers.

And besides, grinding tanks in WoT is awful because if you face 2 tiers higher you are hosed.
Not so much in WoWs. Even the Atlanta at such high tier can be amazingly fun to play. The game is actually balanced, and shooting at higher tier'd ships nets you a lot more XP and you can actually kill them.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

When the wipe comes, I'm probably just gonna aim straight for the Cleveland/Mogami and just play those ships, and do the slow climb to the De Moines.

The only thing I'm dreading is doing the loving Furutaki again, that poo poo is gonna be extremely tedious.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Tekopo posted:

When the wipe comes, I'm probably just gonna aim straight for the Cleveland/Mogami and just play those ships, and do the slow climb to the De Moines.

The only thing I'm dreading is doing the loving Furutaki again, that poo poo is gonna be extremely tedious.

Pepsicola is good though? :confused:

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I'll be on this afternoon grinding american cruisers if anybody wants to join me in reclimbing the ladder.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I'm gonna prioritize cruisers for sure, both the american and japanese cruiser lines are great fun.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Michaellaneous posted:

Pepsicola is good though? :confused:
Oh yeah, I like it, but I personally prefer the Cleveland. I didn't mean to make it sound like the Peniscola was gonna be a pain to climb through.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Tekopo posted:

Japanese cruisers are my favorite ships in the game. I will probably do them last though because the Furutaka is so painful. My plan is to slowly chip away at it with the daily 1.5x while building free exp with US cruisers and both destroyer lines.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Wargaming r gud @ coding:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Wargaming r gud @ coding:

Correction.
Wargaming is good at coding and patch rollout management.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I nearly didn't meet a deadline for my dissertation thanks to CCP, so that's nothing.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Tekopo posted:

I nearly didn't meet a deadline for my dissertation thanks to CCP, so that's nothing.

:ccp:

edit:i forgot that gif wasn't only on the goofleet website :laugh:

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 25, 2015

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Michaellaneous posted:

And besides, grinding tanks in WoT is awful because if you face 2 tiers higher you are hosed.

Well if you face any T10 ship in any same-class-not-T10 ship you're completely hosed here too.
Especialy if the T10 happen to be a Carrier or Des Moines cruiser.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

quote:

We apologize for the delay. Server downtime has been extended to 11:00 PT (14:00 ET).

I should have slept in.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Krogort posted:

Well if you face any T10 ship in any same-class-not-T10 ship you're completely hosed here too.
Especialy if the T10 happen to be a Carrier or Des Moines cruiser.

Well 1v1 sure, but it's not like you are completely alone. Yes teammates can be worthless but with smart driving it should be okay.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
Are tier 9-10 IJN cruisers stuck with turrets that take 45 seconds to turn around, like their DD line? I'm not sure if I should focus on USA or IJN cruisers, but I'm going to be maining US DDs.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
It has been a while since replays were mentioned so here's a reminder. Replays do not have a UI option yet so you have to enable them manually:

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/19170-enabling-wows-replays/

quote:

1. Close the game client.

2. Backup the "preferences.xml" file located in the game folder. You may wish to save this backup copy in a separate folder.

3. Open the original (not backup) "preferences.xml" file using a text editor like Notepad.

4. Scroll to the bottom until you see the following lines:
code:
 </scriptsPreferences>
    <consoleHistory />
</root>

5. Paste two new lines before the </scriptsPreferences> line:
code:
<isReplayEnabled> true </isReplayEnabled>
<ReplayCameraUpdate> 30 </ReplayCameraUpdate>

6. It should now look like this:
code:
<isReplayEnabled> true </isReplayEnabled>
       <ReplayCameraUpdate> 30 </ReplayCameraUpdate>
 </scriptsPreferences>
    <consoleHistory />
</root>

7. Save the file and launch the game client.

8. Enjoy the game!

9. All of the replays will be stored at the "..\replays" folder, which will be automatically created inside the game folder.

10. To launch a replay, close the game client first.

11. After closing the game, drag and drop the "*.wowsreplay" file to WorldOfWarships.exe, or associate the .wowsreplay file extention with the game executable.

12. Every battle generates a separate replay file. Port cannot be recorded.

13. *.wowsreplay files can only be played with the same client version. Replays may not work properly with newer version of the game client.

Replay controls:
code:
'PageUp' & 'PageDown' for playback speed control
'Home' for normal speed
'End' for pause (which is actually x100 slower speed)
'LMB' for toggling camera direction between 'free' and 'recorded'
'>' & '<' for fast-forward & rewind (can be used together with 'Ctrl')
Post replays of awesome or hilarious games.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

texasmed posted:

Are tier 9-10 IJN cruisers stuck with turrets that take 45 seconds to turn around, like their DD line? I'm not sure if I should focus on USA or IJN cruisers, but I'm going to be maining US DDs.

Both USN and IJN cruisers, as well as most other ships in the entire game have this issue. US DDs are quite unique in this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Both USN and IJN cruisers, as well as most other ships in the entire game have this issue. US DDs are quite unique in this way.

Also, the Atlanta. :black101: