Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Woof! Woof! posted:

Chicken Eden Isle was a standard gig growing up for me in the upper midwest. Dried beef and cream of mushroom are amazing. The above interpretation has me scratching my head, however. Outside of the chicken, nothing on the plate has much to do with Chicken Eden Isle. I mean I guess you've got prosciutto, but you also have no dried beef, no cream of anything, no sauce even. The whole thing is just very sterile looking.

This was more of an experiment than anything, but thank you for the feedback. I grated some beef bouillon and sprinkled it on the chicken breast before sealing it in the bag for sous vide; the flavor of beef was there but pretty subtle. You're right about no cream and no mushroom though. And you're right about it looking sterile. It'll be better next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well, it happened again last night... :/

BBQ chicken, asparagus, beans'n'rice.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
Grill envy :qq:

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
That's some drat fine looking chicken

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.

DiomedesGodshill posted:

This was more of an experiment than anything, but thank you for the feedback. I grated some beef bouillon and sprinkled it on the chicken breast before sealing it in the bag for sous vide; the flavor of beef was there but pretty subtle. You're right about no cream and no mushroom though. And you're right about it looking sterile. It'll be better next time.

I definitely like the proscuitto wrap. I just bought some transglutaminase and i'm totally gonna try to steal that idea and glue some proteins.
Like do a whole chicken with skin made out of proscuitto, just for the gently caress of it.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
The things I've cooked the last few weeks!

Sous vide chicken wings, taken out of the bath and deep fried till crispy and golden at 400F, then tossed in butter+Frank's.

Handmade pizza dough, which was then turned into:

Mortadella pizza on garlic olive oil and mozzarella with some pistachio chunks, drizzled with a pistachio+EVOO blend after bake.

Steak and eggs! Sous vide ribeye covered in roasted asparagus, a sous vide poached egg, and some hollandaise.

From another angle with broken-egg moneyshot:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Nur_Neerg posted:

From another angle with broken-egg moneyshot:

drat that looks great, i wish my wife didn't hate asparagus :(

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Kumbamontu posted:

drat that looks great, i wish my wife didn't hate asparagus :(

they have divorce for a reason, you know?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Fetus Tree posted:

they have divorce for a reason, you know?

to be fair I hate mushrooms and she loves them, so we each have our own unique faults

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Nur_Neerg posted:

The things I've cooked the last few weeks!

Sous vide chicken wings, taken out of the bath and deep fried till crispy and golden at 400F, then tossed in butter+Frank's.

Mortadella pizza on garlic olive oil and mozzarella with some pistachio chunks, drizzled with a pistachio+EVOO blend after bake.

Steak and eggs! Sous vide ribeye covered in roasted asparagus, a sous vide poached egg, and some hollandaise.

Yeah, this is all awesome - and dang, those chicken wings. They're pretty much my official weakness.

Had a bit of a craving for couscous, so decided to make some.

African-spiced pork loin, garlic, paprika and lemon couscous (It's one I've done a couple of times and it's kind of comfort food; rich and warming), baby courgette quickly fried in garlic infused olive oil (just a nice, quick hot infuse and then salted), wilted spinach, mint and coriander sauce for some extra acid, and a dusting of cayenne pepper.
Served with a glass of tempranillo.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

SERIOUSLY, I NEED AN INTERVENTION! Make me boil something, fry something, anything to pull me from this spiral of charcoal!

Zucchini & golden squash medley, spicy turkey sausage, wine and cheese pork sausage, and venison tenderloin.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Brawnfire posted:

SERIOUSLY, I NEED AN INTERVENTION! Make me boil something, fry something, anything to pull me from this spiral of charcoal!

Zucchini & golden squash medley, spicy turkey sausage, wine and cheese pork sausage, and venison tenderloin.

You don't need a goddamn intervention. You need more coals.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Olpainless posted:

You don't need a goddamn intervention. You need more coals.

I did and do actually, I had to stretch the end of a bag and add char from the fire to finish grilling the pineapple

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

LUX eh? You a Rochester native as well?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

atothesquiz posted:

LUX eh? You a Rochester native as well?

That I am! Everyone has a LUX glass in this town.

You may have noticed a Genesee Cream Ale glass in a previous photo, also.

Filosofem
Jul 8, 2012
Hello, been a long long time since I logged on here, finally bothered to get a password reminder. Hope you like my rubbish phone pics and ghetto food. Sorry for the big pictures, if someone could explain to me how you post those thumbails that expand when you click them on here, I'd be very greatful, as would I think!

BBQ'd minted lamb steaks with pan fried potatoes, bacon, peas, onions and mushrooms.

Black pudding potato cakes, deep fried with poached eggs and 'salad'.

Double bacon 'cheeseburger' with deep fried frozen waffle fries, fake cheese slices and fried onions. I was drunk as hell making the burger so I'm sorry it's not presented on a plate!

Filosofem fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 25, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Filosofem posted:

if someone could explain to me how you post those thumbails that expand when you click them on here, I'd be very greatful, as would I think!

You use "timg" instead of "img", eg.
code:
[timg]http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd417/Cenotaff/lamb.jpg[/timg]

Filosofem
Jul 8, 2012

Tiggum posted:

You use "timg" instead of "img", eg.
code:
[timg]http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd417/Cenotaff/lamb.jpg[/timg]

Brilliant, thanks a lot. Edited :)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Filosofem posted:

Double bacon 'cheeseburger' with deep fried frozen waffle fries, fake cheese slices and fried onions. I was drunk as hell making the burger so I'm sorry it's not presented on a plate!

Dang man go post that sexy in the burger thread, that's hot poo poo.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Filosofem posted:

It's beautiful... And I'll be burgering for lunch now because of it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Burgin' hard right now

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Why is it a 'cheeseburger' instead of a cheeseburger? And why 'salad' instead of salad?

e: it almost reminds me of dwarf fortress.

quote:

The !!baked alaska!! has been brought by the waiter

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 25, 2015

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Another! Sous vide salmon w/ crisped skin, butternut squash risotto, sauteed asparagus, brie stuffed roasted mushrooms, roasted garlic potatoes.

Filosofem
Jul 8, 2012

CrazySalamander posted:

Why is it a 'cheeseburger' instead of a cheeseburger? And why 'salad' instead of salad?

e: it almost reminds me of dwarf fortress.

I said, 'cheeseburger' because it's those crappy (yet awesome) processed cheese slices that probably contain about as much cheese as a grain of rice. I said 'salad' because it's nothing more than some spinach leaves, rocket leaves, a tiny bit of red pepper and cucumber. I'm not sure what the definition of salad is but there's pretty much nothing too mine so I used the term loosely.

Thanks for the positive comments, gives me a little bit more confidence in the kitchen.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
m

Filosofem posted:

I said, 'cheeseburger' because it's those crappy (yet awesome) processed cheese slices that probably contain about as much cheese as a grain of rice. I said 'salad' because it's nothing more than some spinach leaves, rocket leaves, a tiny bit of red pepper and cucumber. I'm not sure what the definition of salad is but there's pretty much nothing too mine so I used the term loosely.

Thanks for the positive comments, gives me a little bit more confidence in the kitchen.

What you made was a cheeseburger and salad by the majority of Americans everyone. If you had made some sort of high tech deconstructed burger then you could call it a "cheeseburger"

goodness fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 26, 2015

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
i'd like to know which countries that doesnt qualify as a cheeseburger and salad in please

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nur_Neerg posted:

Another! Sous vide salmon w/ crisped skin, butternut squash risotto, sauteed asparagus, brie stuffed roasted mushrooms, roasted garlic potatoes.

How long/what temp did you sous vide this? I'm always scared of loving it up from a failed attempt.

Also dat mushroom recipe.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Filosofem posted:

I said, 'cheeseburger' because it's those crappy (yet awesome) processed cheese slices that probably contain about as much cheese as a grain of rice.

Oh see that's a "cheese"burger. As opposed to a veggie cheese"burger" or a vegan "cheese" "burger" or a molecular gastronomy "cheeseburger" (which is beef foam or something I dunno)

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Filosofem posted:

Black pudding potato cakes, deep fried with poached eggs and 'salad'.

Nice salad.

Hasslebacked gratin

Mooooooore pizza

Getting the hang of shaping now.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Made Nutella cookies yesterday.

Sure, the plate I put them in could look better, but goddamn it was like eating hazelnut brownies. Crackly outside and chewy inside. :swoon:

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Pooncha posted:

Made Nutella cookies yesterday.

Sure, the plate I put them in could look better, but goddamn it was like eating hazelnut brownies. Crackly outside and chewy inside. :swoon:

whats that weird looking thing in the middle

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
An almond.

Chewy nutella cookies does sound good, would you mind sharing the recipe?

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Almond, mostly for garnish. Though after tasting a cookie I might chop some almonds in the batter to counteract the sweetness.

Here's the site: http://kirbiecravings.com/2014/05/4-ingredient-chewy-nutella-cookies.html

Very easy to make. Just dump all ingredients in, mix until there's no more white or yellow, make balls, put on sheet. The actual baking's almost an afterthought.

Filosofem
Jul 8, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

Oh see that's a "cheese"burger. As opposed to a veggie cheese"burger" or a vegan "cheese" "burger" or a molecular gastronomy "cheeseburger" (which is beef foam or something I dunno)

It all makes sense now. I shall get it right from now on.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Plinkey posted:

How long/what temp did you sous vide this? I'm always scared of loving it up from a failed attempt.

Also dat mushroom recipe.

I tried 130 for 20 minutes that time out of curiosity, came out a nice med/med-rare. I've done 125 before for the same time and really enjoyed it as well, but I really dig on rare fish. Hot pan with a little oil after it came out of the bath, just long enough to get some crisp to the skin.

The mushrooms I just stemmed and lightly washed, then added a cube of brie, some minced garlic, and a drizzle of EVOO. Stuck the pan in the oven for about 10 minutes while it was at 400F cooking the taters, then swapped it over to broil to finish for a couple minutes. Pretty tasty, would try again sauteeing the garlic with some green onions and deglazing with white wine. Also debated putting some raisins over the top between the bake and broil.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

That looks fantastic. What's the cheese?

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
A friend and I made a cake for a rehearsal dinner. It is vanilla yellow cake with chocolate frosting.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

mich posted:

A friend and I made a cake for a rehearsal dinner. It is vanilla yellow cake with chocolate frosting.

This is beautiful, are you a professional?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thats a very good looking cake but jesus the term 'Rehearsal Dinner' is the most first world privileged gently caress-the-poor thing I've ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

VelociBacon posted:

Thats a very good looking cake but jesus the term 'Rehearsal Dinner' is the most first world privileged gently caress-the-poor thing I've ever heard.

It is possible you don't know what that is, are you non-American? It's a pretty normal thing. Weddings here usually have a wedding rehearsal, and then you throw a small dinner. It's not, like, for dinner-having practice.

• Locked thread