Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

quote:

And that's the fault of the game's design, rather than the complete lack of advertising?
You're having a laugh if you think that's the case..

If only they had advertised more everything would be ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
WoW's massive jumble of stats in 2004 were both better named and more consistent. :allears:

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Gear also has secondary stats that also modify the same things as the base six stats, and then there's also the thresholds that give additional bonuses if you have a certain amount of a stat, and on top of that there's the rune system which can either modify base stats or the derived secondary stats

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Gearing wasn't too bad considering it basically broke down to Stack one stat and maybe a second lesser priority. I do support simplifying the poo poo out of it though.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

The Chairman posted:

Gear also has secondary stats that also modify the same things as the base six stats, and then there's also the thresholds that give additional bonuses if you have a certain amount of a stat, and on top of that there's the rune system which can either modify base stats or the derived secondary stats

what is the point of having all these powergamey stats when the game is supposed to be about 40 man blobs all wailing on a hitpoint sponge until it drops its lunch money? oh right HARDCOOOOOOOORRRRREEEEEE

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Mormon Star Wars posted:

This is what people are complaining about them changing:

Where's the one for mysticality?

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Which class has a high chutzpah?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The Chairman posted:

and people are raising pitchforks to try and preserve this crap? What the heck did these players do before Wildstar? Vanilla/BC WoW wasn't even this bad. What games did these people play for the past 10 years and how were they satisfied? These are important questions!

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
strength, dexterity, charisma, intelligence, wisdom, stamina

but it's super unique we only lifted the exact same stat spread as loving dnd

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

also WildStar China because that's what Carbine needs right now http://2p.com/34643759_1/Giant-Interactive-to-Publish-Wildstar-in-China-by-Aaron.htm

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

"Hey, I got a piece of gear with Finesse on it, what does that do?"
"Well let me consult this huge chart,"

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

quote:

Various quality-of-life improvements have also been implemented, from an always-on sprint (outside of combat) to moving Prime monsters — those mega group bosses — to their own lairs on the edges of maps so that players don’t unexpectedly roll into them while dodging regular mobs. Another very helpful feature is the sell junk button!

Guys this is great, I can't wait until these cha

quote:

But these changes are not totally set in stone. Even though the game has launched, Donatelli emphasized that this new update will spend time in beta. In fact, the reason the conversion is happening in the fall is precisely to give players time to beta test and offer feedback. And the team plans incorporate that feedback into the final launch of the new F2P version to make sure the changes made were the right ones. And Donatelli says the team expects to make changes: “We expect people to test our transition and be like, ‘We like this more,’ or ‘If you guys do that it will be better,’ and we’re going to make those changes.”

Hahahaha yes, listen to your existing playerbase that are howling to keep people from playing the game, this is a great idea.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Eye of Widesauron posted:

It's like MMO's are just one big honeypot for this poo poo.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

its like mmos are a huge pile of poo poo

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Guys this is great, I can't wait until these cha

Hahahaha yes, listen to your existing playerbase that are howling to keep people from playing the game, this is a great idea.

Hey don't worry about it. Even with the shittiest players in existence, you've got.their track record of listening to beta/public test realm to absolutely guarantee none of that will be heard or acted on at all.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eye of Widesauron posted:

It's like MMO's are just one big honeypot for this poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A21wxZKiao8

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I saw some people mention some of this stuff so here's the whole article about upcoming F2P things

The thing I think is cool is the Neighborhoods feature, which is going to let five people combine their housing plots into a big Neighborhood plot so they're all physically there next to eachother in-game instead of being seperate instances. You get a communal central plot to customize together too and up to 20 people can have editing permissions for the whole neighborhood

Wildstar's housing is still super fun and good and this is a really neat way to expand it

Also the stat simplification sounds really good and I'm glad they're making big changes to the game, it needs them

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

Mormon Star Wars posted:

What the gently caress am I looking at?

What the gently caress does this even mean?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

They should make a Breakout style mini game out of that chart

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Spookyelectric posted:

What the gently caress am I looking at?

What the gently caress does this even mean?

It was their bright idea for designating who gear of a specific weight class belongs to. For example, both stalkers and medics wear medium armor -- if a piece of gear with Brutality as its primary stat drops, it's intended for a DPS stalker, because Brutality (= assault) is more useful to them than to support stalkers (whose abilities key off Tech instead) or either medic spec (where Brutality = crit severity and armor penetration). This is better than just making gear class-specific because

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 25, 2015

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
It's not truly hardcore raiding if you don't need a spreadsheet with primary / secondary stats involved for multiple classes. How else is loot council going to distribute the loot?

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding

onesixtwo posted:

It's not truly hardcore raiding if you don't need a spreadsheet with primary / secondary stats involved for multiple classes. How else is loot council going to distribute the loot?

Easy, guild leaders first, then their girlfriends, siblings, and cousins, whatever is left is purchased using DKP.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

cthulhoo posted:

its like mmos are a huge pile of poo poo

But vrmomorpergers are the future of gaming

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Mayostard posted:

Easy, guild leaders first, then their girlfriends, siblings, and cousins, whatever is left is purchased using DKP.

Dont forget the Tank or healer getting a random item and leaving the guild 1 hr later.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The Chairman posted:

It was their bright idea for designating who gear of a specific weight class belongs to. For example, both stalkers and medics wear medium armor -- if a piece of gear with Brutality as its primary stat drops, it's intended for a DPS stalker, because Brutality (= assault) is more useful to them than to support stalkers (whose abilities key off Tech instead) or either medic spec (where Brutality = crit severity and armor penetration). This is better than just making gear class-specific because
Or for that matter just making the stats more obvious and shared between classes so DPS stats are DPS stats and who really gives a gently caress if Medics and Stalkers could share gear? :effort:

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

It's better if it can cut down on one piece of loot being greatly desired by a lot of different classes, but WS only has like 5 classes split among 3 armor weights AND weapons are only usable by their specific class so...

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
...and then they hosed up their stat tables so bad that level 48 blue crafted gear dumping every possible point into one stat was the best you could get until raid-gear which was long, long after people quit the game in droves.

HARDCORE.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

SumYungGui posted:

...and then they hosed up their stat tables so bad that level 48 blue crafted gear dumping every possible point into one stat was the best you could get until raid-gear which was long, long after people quit the game in droves.

HARDCORE.

Taking advantage of developer idiocy and abusing unintended mechanics is like Classic Raiding 101.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Wildstar is adding some new facial styles, a panda themed armor set and mount, and like 20 new pets that are baby versions of existing animals for the Chinese launch of the game. All of that stuff is going to be added to the US version too. New faces will be nice to have.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
how much do you get paid per post

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

wb Thunderbro hope youre not gonna have another meltdown over animes itt :buddy:

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
This thread is getting a little too hardcore for my tastes.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

too many words spent trying to defend naming a stat "moxie"

quote:

But in a game where you can actively dodge attacks, agility doesn't mean poo poo. Everyone is agile. Scientist paths are also wicked intelligent, that's their thing. Intelligence or intellect would be redundant, but insight isn't.
Anyone can shoot magic poo poo at something, but only one with the finesse of a champion can shoot the right parts and do more damage.
And a warrior can do just about as much damage as he wants if he has the brutality to give him that extra oomph, but maybe instead he's got enough technical know how to use his heavy armor to the best of its ability to take a hit.
A medic needs the insight to know exactly where to apply his radiation for maximum benefit to his allies, but also the daring and moxie to be able to try new things and maybe get that critical body part working again. Or maybe he has enough technical savvy and gumption (moxie) to go all mad scientist and overclock his resonance paddles to be able to cause serious mayhem.
They aren't buzzword flavor names.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

The Chairman posted:

it's a radical cupcake stat, please do not change my kingdom of loathing ripoff stat

cthulhoo posted:

wb Thunderbro hope youre not gonna have another meltdown over animes itt :buddy:

you've made more posts about it, please show me where japanese cartoons bad touched you

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Thunderbro posted:

how much do you get paid per post

playing bad games with some promise until they get made good is what i do

it worked for Marvel Heroes

it didn't work for Super Monday Night Combat

so i figure i've got a 50/50 shot at wildstar

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

playing bad games with some promise until they get made good is what i do

it worked for Marvel Heroes

it didn't work for Super Monday Night Combat

so i figure i've got a 50/50 shot at wildstar

I'm sorry friend, may you find peace

(it won't get good)

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

So last night I had a nightmare that I was playing Wildstar. I was tanking some big fish monster or something, and every few seconds one of my abilities disappeared from my action bar until all that I had left was my basic engineer shooty-power. We died and everyone yelled at me.

I hate this loving game so much!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The Chairman posted:

No, let me tell you about Moxie.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I don't understand why they felt the need to change the names of stats to be such a mess, EQ and vanilla WoW and all those old games they revered just used strength intellegence dexterity or whatever, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
space hamsters own

• Locked thread