Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's a semi-common prank often pulled on streamers with a large viewerbase either because the pranker's a massive rear end in a top hat or the streamer's a dick or both. DSP's a dick, but no one deserves to be swatted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
And in a lot of cases the pranker is a teen who knows they can get away with it.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
This is probably the first thing that puts DSP in a somewhat positive light for me.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Swatting: the only way you can make DSP handling a situation look good. Grats, kid-rear end in a top hat that pulled it off, you did the impossible.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

paradoxGentleman posted:

Wait, this is something that happened more than once?

The DDoS thing is something that's been happening last week as far as I know. But I don't know of it happening to him prior. (There was some question on whether or not it was an actually DDoS but DSP said his ISP confirmed it.)

The swatting seems like it was the first time going by how he talked about it. IDSP had talked to his local police department ahead of time, apparently. To be honest, I'm starting to consider that just in case. I've heard people recommend that if your fanbase starts getting sufficiently large.

Golden Goat posted:

That's hosed up. I mean nobody likes DSP but swatting him is such a scummy thing to do.

And to be totally clear, I absolutely agree.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
Too bad DSP handled the aftermath a bit poorly. He made a video which pretty has him embelishing the incident a bit(keep in mind, he initially laughed off the Swatting), while trying to pin the blame on his critics by saying their vids are what caused it to happen in the first place.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slowbeef posted:

To be honest, I'm starting to consider that just in case. I've heard people recommend that if your fanbase starts getting sufficiently large.

Honestly, it's pretty sad you have to do that because people have no concept of social norms.

I recall someone from Maker saying that more or less they tell their guys to not really mention this sort of stuff in public as it'll just entice people to do it more etc.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Singh Long posted:

Too bad DSP handled the aftermath a bit poorly. He made a video which pretty has him embelishing the incident a bit(keep in mind, he initially laughed off the Swatting), while trying to pin the blame on his critics by saying their vids are what caused it to happen in the first place.

Yeah one of the SoK guys tweeted me that he was blaming Retsupurae for it, but considering I hadn't heard anything else, I assumed it was just blanket "critics" and we weren't mentioned specifically. I don't know, I don't want any part of this - I'd probably give him a pass on however he acted in the aftermath of it since it was really hosed up.

Unfunny Poster posted:

I recall someone from Maker saying that more or less they tell their guys to not really mention this sort of stuff in public as it'll just entice people to do it more etc.

I've heard that too. It's hard to know what to do. You don't mention it, then the people who get away with it get emboldened further. You do mention it, you kinda paint a target on yourself.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slowbeef posted:

I've heard that too. It's hard to know what to do. You don't mention it, then the people who get away with it get emboldened further. You do mention it, you kinda paint a target on yourself.

Personally, I'd probably lean to the former rather than the latter. Take away any sense of accomplishment and make the person who did it seem they failed and either hope they stop or if they try a second time the cops are more aware and can do something about it.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

slowbeef posted:

Yeah one of the SoK guys tweeted me that he was blaming Retsupurae for it, but considering I hadn't heard anything else, I assumed it was just blanket "critics" and we weren't mentioned specifically. I don't know, I don't want any part of this - I'd probably give him a pass on however he acted in the aftermath of it since it was really hosed up.

Retsupurae was never mentioned specifically, but he did directly blame anyone who ever made a negative video about him for his "attempted murder" yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-VJ1wZ7Bmw&t=808s

Great job, Slowbeef.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
To be fair, SWAT seem to have a mean "shoot first ask later" streak. Didn't someone get swatted and have a grenade thrown at their baby?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HGH posted:

To be fair, SWAT seem to have a mean "shoot first ask later" streak. Didn't someone get swatted and have a grenade thrown at their baby?

An explosive grenade or a smoke grenade?

Edit: Found story, was a stun grenade

EDIT EDIT: Photos of :siren: injury :siren: for those who don't like seeing that stuff.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2643344/Horror-SWAT-team-throw-stun-grenade-toddlers-CRIB-drugs-raid-leaving-coma-severe-burns.html

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 25, 2015

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Flash-bang.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/family-toddler-injured-swat-grenade-faces-1m-medical/story?id=27671521

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Goddamnit, now you made me think about DSP not understanding how a stun grenade works.

"I can't see anything! WOW! That's bullshit, how can I defend myself if I can't see anything?"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Dias posted:

Goddamnit, now you made me think about DSP not understanding how a stun grenade works.

"I can't see anything! WOW! That's bullshit, how can I defend myself if I can't see anything?"

"Wooow it took four of you guys to beat me"

Also yeah swatting is a hundred kinds of hosed up, some 16 year old got arrested on SIXTY charges for pulling that poo poo.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
SWATting is what happens when society stops telling "The Boy who cried Wolf" story.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

HGH posted:

If you're white, you're (mostly) alright.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Danaru posted:

"Wooow it took four of you guys to beat me"

Also yeah swatting is a hundred kinds of hosed up, some 16 year old got arrested on SIXTY charges for pulling that poo poo.

Another kid got 25 to life. Honestly, I think that's a little steep, but I'm not gonna lose any sleep over this little snot.

Nevermind, see my second post

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 26, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ninjahedgehog posted:

Another kid got 25 to life. Honestly, I think that's a little steep, but I'm not gonna lose any sleep over this little snot.

I find it really steep. Did it harm someone? Yeah. But you have to remember that he's loving 15. He's a dumb kid who didn't think through all the consequences of his actions. Hell, the shooting of the victim's father could very well have been a stupid decision by a trigger-happy SWAT officer (not like it would be the first time a cop shot someone unarmed).

But he has no chance to learn about how much he hosed up and improve to become a better member of society. By giving him 25 to life, his life is over. Assuming he doesn't die in the American prison system, he's going to come out a middle-aged adult in a completely different world after being surrounded by hardened criminals for longer than he's already been alive. If he even makes it back into the world, he's going to have all the difficulties a convicted felon could have reintegrating and gaining respect in society. The most likely result is that he ends up back in prison or dead.

poo poo, I'd be fine giving him a year or two. He'll have plenty of chances to think about what he's done. Instead we're either condemning him to die in a cell or creating an anti-social felon in 25 years.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Jobbo_Fett posted:

SWATting is what happens when society stops telling "The Boy who cried Wolf" story.

Sadly, it's the cops who need to hear it as much as the people making the calls.

Phil actually feeling the need to call the cops a year in advance to tell them he could be SWATted was actually a smart move, too bad he only felt the need to treat the symptoms and not the cause on that one.

Speaking of, Phil said a while back that the "fresh Seattle air" had somehow fixed his back problems. Yeah.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lazyfire posted:

Sadly, it's the cops who need to hear it as much as the people making the calls.

As an emergency response group, its not really their fault to respond to such cases. What happens if the police gets apathetic and refuses to attend to calls?

You have to make the assumption that what the caller is telling you is true, and respond accordingly.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Whoops, I'm the idiot, National Report isn't actually a real news site. It's the Onion, but not funny.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Lazyfire posted:

The police can't just ignore 911 calls, even if they think it's fake.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

Er, not really. They have to respond to every call they get like it's legitimate, cause they have no idea if it's legitimate or not.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

As an emergency response group, its not really their fault to respond to such cases. What happens if the police gets apathetic and refuses to attend to calls?

You have to make the assumption that what the caller is telling you is true, and respond accordingly.

Not necessarily apathetic and ignoring calls, but they could do with some more caution. There's been multiple raids on the wrong address and lots of people shot who weren't even armed because of a jumpy guy with an itchy trigger finger. With SWATing, at least some of them could be prevented by actually doing recon on the house and seeing if everything matches the stated crime (like looking in the windows for people walking around when supposedly the family has been slaughtered, or a house falsely believed to have a mad bomber having kids' toys in the yard and a minivan; this actually happened and was recorded on helmet cam). Instead, the preferred method for SWAT teams is to simply bash down the door and shoot everything that looks like a potential threat.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

chitoryu12 posted:

Not necessarily apathetic and ignoring calls, but they could do with some more caution. There's been multiple raids on the wrong address and lots of people shot who weren't even armed because of a jumpy guy with an itchy trigger finger. With SWATing, at least some of them could be prevented by actually doing recon on the house and seeing if everything matches the stated crime (like looking in the windows for people walking around when supposedly the family has been slaughtered, or a house falsely believed to have a mad bomber having kids' toys in the yard and a minivan; this actually happened and was recorded on helmet cam). Instead, the preferred method for SWAT teams is to simply bash down the door and shoot everything that looks like a potential threat.

I understand your point of view, but its not always that simple. If a call goes out for a homicide or whatever that requires SWAT to show up, they have to go.

So suppose the house they are called to is inhabited by Streamer and maybe that persons partner. The Streamer is in front of the computer, maybe headphones on, oblivious to the world. Partner is anywhere in the house, be it the bathroom, basement, bedroom, or elsewhere.

Do the cops have line of sight? Do they know if the suspect is male or female? What kind of weapon(s) were used? Are they on the main floor, 2nd floor, or basement? Are they responding to the megaphone, or is the SWAT team just going to perform a break-in to not allow the "murderer" any time to prepare?

Have we seen or read about jumpy cops? Sure, but when you can't guarantee what's on the other side of the door I can understand adrenaline kicking in and training taking over.

Does that vindicate cops when they discharge weapons into non-threats? No, certainly not, but you can't look at SWATting and have it be anything but a giant grey/gray area.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chitoryu12 posted:

The problem there though is that they can't view anything with skepticism because it's their job to not do so.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"911."

"Please help, this guy has a machine gun and is taking 10 people hostage!"

"Whoa, hold on. We need to get all the facts and weigh our options first."

Like, I know gently caress the police, but you're being an idiot.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The problem with SWAT isn't so much the police taking immediate action, but answering calls in bumfuck nowhere, Ohio with military-grade equipment without the training OR the circumstances for its use. But that's beside the point, which is "swatting is dumb, it threatens innocent lives and wastes everyone's time".

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

too bad he only felt the need to treat the symptoms and not the cause on that one.

You know getting swatted has precious little to do with Phil being a huge dick, right? Nowadays it seems just having an opinion about a video game on the internet is enough to get angry weirdoes to dox you and call your family and employer.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Waffleman_ posted:

"911."

"Please help, this guy has a machine gun and is taking 10 people hostage!"

"Whoa, hold on. We need to get all the facts and weigh our options first."

Like, I know gently caress the police, but you're being an idiot.

Uh, you are actually supposed to get facts before you kick in a door. I don't agree with the Cato Institute on much, but it's hard to argue with this rundown of police raids gone wrong. And the bigger problem is that SWATting isn't anything new, it's been a thing for years, and yet Phil getting warnings that he didn't hear is fairly rare due to the prevalence of "no knock" raids in supposedly violent situations. In more than a few cases this has led to innocents being in the line of fire and the death of pets over minor, minor things. The bigger problem is that it's dangerous for the cops as it is for the people they're raiding. More than once someone has ended up killing cops they believed to be intruders.

The whole reason I said cops need to learn about the boy who cried wolf is because of stuff like this, not because it's cool to hate the cops.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

a cartoon duck posted:

You know getting swatted has precious little to do with Phil being a huge dick, right? Nowadays it seems just having an opinion about a video game on the internet is enough to get angry weirdoes to dox you and call your family and employer.

All roads lead to gamergate.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lazyfire posted:

too bad he only felt the need to treat the symptoms and not the cause on that one.

What else could he have done to prevent the SWATing?

a cartoon duck posted:

Or in some cases, simply be in an opposing guild for an MMO, which has happened.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 26, 2015

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

HGH posted:

I don't know any of the specifics but I know a couple people's dogs and stuff have gotten shot during it :(

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Never mind got confused

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Monicro posted:

I don't know any of the specifics but I know a couple people's dogs and stuff have gotten shot during it :(

There's a ton of bad SWAT incidents, to the point where an argument could be made that the majority are bad: the ACLU found that only 7% of SWAT scenarios were for active shooters, barricaded suspects, or other scenarios that SWAT was invented for and just under 80% were for no reason other than serving a search warrant. It's actually incredibly common in the United States for SWAT teams to be deployed on spurious reasons. I don't feel like giving a whole list, but there's a very long list of incidents in which SWAT teams killed unarmed people or killed armed people after they executed a surprise no-knock raid (sometimes on the wrong house!) and shot someone who tried to defend themselves against what looked like a burglary.

SWATing is basically taking advantage of American police being infamously violent and jumpy. It wouldn't exist without the problems already inherent in it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Right, but what everyone else is saying is, how many of those calls do you think had claims of a situation where a swat team would be necessary? The whole reason they send swat teams out when swatting happens is because the fake call dictates something that would require a swat team. They don't just send out the swats because they feel like it.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
Speaking of Lets Plays Spoony did a pretty good Lets Play of SWAT 4 back when he was still watchable

http://spoonyexperiment.com/lets-play/lets-play-swat-4-mission-1-dungeons-damsels/

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

"You're in my way, sir" haunted his videos for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Swat 4 is the absolute tits if you can get 4/5 people playing at once, two on red, two on blue, and one as gold. I'll always have a special place in my heart for police games that massively penalize you for not following proper procedure.

Beanbags for life :cop:

• Locked thread