Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Pact seems pretty strong, I don;t know if it's good enough for standard but maybe. It depends on what kind of cards are around to get rid of it. If there are cards that kill it that are good answers in general then you just spend a card to get rid of it and you still 5 for 2 your opponent. If they print a cheap way to donate it, which I'm sure they won't, this could be a cool combo card. I'm not sure if this card, even with all of it advantages, is good enough to beat Siege Rhinos and Ojutais.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

This card doesn't stand up to Siege Rhino at all but that's basically the top of the food chain.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

While I do love this card (and I'm sure I will never play it in any format) I think this card slightly misses on favor, because while I get there are 4 options to symbolize 4 demons and 4 mana - Liliana should have gotten 4 boons and then died. Here's how I would have made it

At the beginning of your upkeep choose one that hasn't been chosen, if you cannot, you lose the game

-drain life for 4
-mind rot
-divination
-tutor/scry 4/return a creature card from graveyard to hand/each opponent sacrifices a creature/make zombie tokens/some other black ability.

The Nastier Nate fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 25, 2015

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Griselbrand was like lol she could've gotten a necro out of me yet she just asked for a divination. But Lilliana got the last lol.

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010
I can't really tell what the draft archetypes are going to be in this format besides picking the best card in a vacuum every time. Maybe mono colored is going to be the way to go just following whatever rare you get in the first pack.

I don't mind the drop in power level as much considering the last set was all about dragons. Maybe the goal is a weaker standard format when the rotation happens.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lets Pickle posted:

Pact seems pretty strong, I don;t know if it's good enough for standard but maybe. It depends on what kind of cards are around to get rid of it. If there are cards that kill it that are good answers in general then you just spend a card to get rid of it and you still 5 for 2 your opponent. If they print a cheap way to donate it, which I'm sure they won't, this could be a cool combo card. I'm not sure if this card, even with all of it advantages, is good enough to beat Siege Rhinos and Ojutais.

:colbert:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Now find a thing to tap it

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Gideon's in this core set. I think we'll have that covered in some way or another.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

TheKingofSprings posted:

And get your opponent to play an enchantment

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Every green deck plays Courser, and Convoke is a thing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The Nastier Nate posted:

While I do love this card (and I'm sure I will never play it in any format) I think this card slightly misses on favor, because while I get there are 4 options to symbolize 4 demons and 4 mana - Liliana should have gotten 4 boons and then died. Here's how I would have made it

At the beginning of your upkeep choose one that hasn't been chosen, if you cannot, you lose the game

-drain life for 4
-mind rot
-divination
-tutor/scry 4/return a creature card from graveyard to hand/each opponent sacrifices a creature/make zombie tokens/some other black ability.

Tutor would just let you search up your Erase or what have you.

Comedy option: Give it Shroud.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

You know the red burn spell that can't be countered by spells or abilities from a couple of pages ago, does that beat hexproof or does the hexproof stop it even being countered?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

AceClown posted:

You know the red burn spell that can't be countered by spells or abilities from a couple of pages ago, does that beat hexproof or does the hexproof stop it even being targeted in the first place?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Or turn it into a creature. Every Standard deck plays creatures.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
you can't target a thing w/ hexproof and if it gains hexproof it's an illegal target so the spell is countered by the rules

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AceClown posted:

You know the red burn spell that can't be countered by spells or abilities from a couple of pages ago, does that beat hexproof or does the hexproof stop it even being countered?

It doesn't beat hexproof any which way, even if the thing gets hexproof after being targeted. That's why it says "can't be countered by spells or abilities", it can still be countered by the rules of the game, e.g. the one that says a spell is countered if it tries to resolve and no longer has a valid target.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
the rules have all the good counterspells these days

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Esper Enchantment Control feat. Starfield of Nyx, Demonic Pact, and Daring Thief/Shifting Loyalties

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's the same way you can counter an Abrupt Decay by giving your thing hexproof or protection from green or black.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The most stylish way to counter an Abrupt Decay is Cytoshape copying something with CMC >= 4

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Entropic posted:

Tutor would just let you search up your Erase or what have you.

Comedy option: Give it Shroud.

Yea, tutor would have been a bad idea, but making 2 2/2 zombie tokens is very flavorful and would push this into constructed (or even limited) playability.

Additional comedy option: give it hexproof and "if demonic pact leaves the battlefield, lose the game"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It should make a 5/5 demon flyer

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It should make a 5/5 demon flyer

None of the demons actually fight for Liliana.

What it should do is bring a creature back from the dead, I think

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

The flavor doesn't match because it's literally the card from YMTC with tiny modifications. The YMTC submission was "Destroy target creature, draw 2 cards and lose 2 life, _________________, or you lose the game." They just filled in the 3rd ability, replaced kill a creature with drain life (so it works even if your opponent has no creatures in play), and removed the life loss from the card draw.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Roshambo posted:

I can't really tell what the draft archetypes are going to be in this format besides picking the best card in a vacuum every time. Maybe mono colored is going to be the way to go just following whatever rare you get in the first pack.

I don't mind the drop in power level as much considering the last set was all about dragons. Maybe the goal is a weaker standard format when the rotation happens.

You must be new to core sets.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I hate hexproof

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

None of the demons actually fight for Liliana.

What it should do is bring a creature back from the dead, I think

Yeah, the 4th mode should probably be Reanimate proper. She did make a pact with 4 demons, she might as well get 4 spells before they come to collect her soul?

FWIW Voidmage husher is another card that can counter the lose the game ability. There are a good number of ways around it in standard, and in Modern, the 4th ability is trivial to solve. the card's real problem is that it is just not strong enough to merit a 4 drop. Would it be playable as is for 2 mana?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

This card doesn't stand up to Siege Rhino at all but that's basically the top of the food chain.

I think this is the most important thing. On Rhino you're getting one of the modes immediately and a 4/5 body for the same mana cost.

Having to wait until your next turn to even get anything from it makes pact absolutely brutal

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gensuki posted:

Yeah, the 4th mode should probably be Reanimate proper. She did make a pact with 4 demons, she might as well get 4 spells before they come to collect her soul?

FWIW Voidmage husher is another card that can counter the lose the game ability. There are a good number of ways around it in standard, and in Modern, the 4th ability is trivial to solve. the card's real problem is that it is just not strong enough to merit a 4 drop. Would it be playable as is for 2 mana?

It would be insane and very Decayable at 2 mana.

lardnar
Feb 28, 2011

Gensuki posted:

At 2 mana, you could hit it with your own abrupt decays/run dromoka's command to get rid of it after you've drawn 2 and they've discarded 2 for 2 mana. It'd be kind of combo-y still, but it'd definitely be a powerful card.

Voidmage Husher doesn't do it though - it's a triggered ability, not an activated ability. Voidslime or Trickbind counter the trigger, but they're awful. The mythical quicken/day's undoing deck might like it, since it can end the turn before the lose the game trigger happens.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Gensuki posted:

FWIW Voidmage husher is another card that can counter the lose the game ability.

Voidmage Husher says "activated ability".

EFB.

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Obviously worth running along with Stifle :v:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I might be interested if it was Voidmage Hesher but like come on

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
Continually use Brago, King Eternal to blink Demonic Pact, so it resets every turn allowing for a free pick of the three? Or give the card to an opponent with Zedruu?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Oraculum Animi posted:

Continually use Brago, King Eternal to blink Demonic Pact, so it resets every turn allowing for a free pick of the three? Or give the card to an opponent with Zedruu?

Would be cool if Brago or Zedruu were black. (Yeah, yeah. They don't have to be your commander, but what's the point otherwise?)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Maybe I'm wrong here but I'm pretty sure you choose the mode for that garbage card on resolution. So even if you Stifle/Trickbind/whatever the 4th trigger you just die on your next upkeep because you still haven't chosen to lose the game yet.

And man, they just didn't put any effort into this set did they? I haven't even seen a card I'd play in commander except maybe the stupid 6/5 in a Riku deck.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

suicidesteve posted:

Maybe I'm wrong here but I'm pretty sure you choose the mode for that garbage card on resolution. So even if you Stifle/Trickbind/whatever the 4th trigger you just die on your next upkeep because you still haven't chosen to lose the game yet.

And man, they just didn't put any effort into this set did they? I haven't even seen a card I'd play in commander except maybe the stupid 6/5 in a Riku deck.

I thought this too but IIRC with modal templates the choices are made are made as the trigger/spell is put on the stack. Like Cabal Therapy is the classic example of a card where the choices are made during resolution but like with Commands or Charms you pick your modes as you put the spell on the stack rather than during resolution and they are modal spells.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I am enjoying these spoilers and feel no guilt about that fact to boot.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

I am enjoying these spoilers and feel no guilt about that fact to boot.

:agreed:

Honestly, when was the last time a Core Set was exciting? Core sets are almost never exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Count Bleck posted:

:agreed:

Honestly, when was the last time a Core Set was exciting? Core sets are almost never exciting.

They should bring back white borders for core sets.

• Locked thread