Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

A Bad King posted:

God, this is sad. I really want an alternative to a monopoly on the personal computers industry.

Really only a monopoly on well performing X86 personal computers which Intel arguably already has enjoyed for the past 5 years.
You can still buy a Vortex86 (i think) or a ARM based personal computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

NihilismNow posted:

Really only a monopoly on well performing X86 personal computers which Intel arguably already has enjoyed for the past 5 years.
You can still buy a Vortex86 (i think) or a ARM based personal computer.

Yes but the well performing end is the profitable end. AMD is suffocating.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Vinigre posted:

The article mentions GlobalFoundries as an earlier spin-off.

Fun fact: an even earlier example was in 2000 when AMD spun-off their communications products division into Legerity.

And spansion was their memory products jv

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
:unsmith: hey, looks like Intel is hitting a brick wall! GO ZEN GO!

(no Cannonlake for foreseeable future. Some breathing room? Tick-tock-tock-tock-tock...)

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/anton-shilov/intels-kaby-lake-to-replace-skylake-next-year/

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

So even Intel can't push forward. Moore's Law has hit the wall on silicon.

Edit: D'oh I said the exact same thing in the Intel thread already. Having lived through more than 30 years of it, it's actually rather sad to be at the end.

Rastor fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 24, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Rastor posted:

Here's to hoping quantum physics works in our favor and we end up summoning eldritch horrors :unsmigghh:

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Given how the Fury X turned out, maybe Zen will be AMD's saving grace this year.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

GrizzlyCow posted:

Given how the Fury X turned out, maybe Zen will be AMD's saving grace this next year.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

GrizzlyCow posted:

Given how the Fury X turned out, maybe Zen will be AMD's saving grace this year.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

GrizzlyCow posted:

However, people hate on AMD's GPUs, but they're still much closer to NVIDIA's offerings than their CPUs are to Intels. They'd need to make a huge increase in single-thread performance and drastically cut power consumption to catch up.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

However, people hate on AMD's GPUs, but they're still much closer to NVIDIA's offerings than their CPUs are to Intels. They'd need to make a huge increase in single-thread performance and drastically cut power consumption to catch up.
I just want the return of low-power low-cost hobby ECC servers that the Athlon2/Phenom2 line made possible :smith:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I just want the return of low-power low-cost hobby ECC servers that the Athlon2/Phenom2 line made possible :smith:

Can't you still get ECC support from Pentium branded Intel CPUs? Just not i5s or i7s.

http://ark.intel.com/products/82723/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G3258-3M-Cache-3_20-GHz

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

Can't you still get ECC support from Pentium branded Intel CPUs? Just not i5s or i7s.

http://ark.intel.com/products/82723/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G3258-3M-Cache-3_20-GHz
ECC LGA1150 motherboards have a $70 price premium while Athlon2/Phenom2 supported ECC natively on the CPU.

Bulldozer-era FX still does, but lmfao minimum 95w power draw

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

ECC LGA1150 motherboards have a $70 price premium while Athlon2/Phenom2 supported ECC natively on the CPU.

Bulldozer-era FX still does, but lmfao minimum 95w power draw

Which is dumb, considering Carizzo/Godavari could easily have similar performance to Piledriver at much lower power draw. But no one buys AMD CPUs so I guess there is a lot of :effort:

Also why not pick up a Phenom II can plug it into the board?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

Also why not pick up a Phenom II can plug it into the board?
They died of natural causes and we can find no replacements that aren't gouging new boxes of 6 year old tech :smithicide:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

They died of natural causes and we can find no replacements that aren't gouging new boxes of 6 year old tech :smithicide:

If you have a task that's critical enough to need ECC memory, it's critical enough to be worth using something not-6-years-old, and it's also critical enough to spend the extra $70. Get your boss/professor/parent/self to pony up, you big baby.

If you really want to cheap out you could try digging up a used workstation. I had an HP Z400 with a Xeon W3565 that came with 16GB of ECC memory, and I see them on Newegg (in somewhat stripped, condition, 4-8GB memory and no drives IIRC) for like $300-350 all the time. Fair warning, they use a proprietary power supply and the PSU ratings are 30-50% higher than what it can deliver. Really thought, just pony up and buy the right thing the first time instead of wasting your money on junk.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 25, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you really want to cheap out you could try digging up a used workstation. I had an HP Z400 with a Xeon W3565 that came with 16GB of ECC memory, and I see them on Newegg (in somewhat stripped, condition, 4-8GB memory and no drives IIRC) for like $300-350 all the time. Fair warning, they use a proprietary power supply and the PSU ratings are 30-50% higher than what it can deliver. Really thought, just pony up and buy the right thing the first time instead of wasting your money on junk.
That's pretty much what I'm doing this year, an i3 (don't laugh) setup worth about $1.1k (most of the cost is from the ridiculous amount of drives). And to create value I'm gonna stuff it with a bunch of drives with ZFS raid z3 to hold all the crap my brother and I amass. I'm not sure I should be going with anything stronger than an i3 for that.

I wish I went with ECC on my AM3 mini ITX desktop-turned-NAS experiment from 3 years ago instead of just turning it into a gaming box to burn it out, though.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Rastor posted:

Edit: D'oh I said the exact same thing in the Intel thread already. Having lived through more than 30 years of it, it's actually rather sad to be at the end.

Or maybe you know, programming can actually catch up to modern silicon. Inefficiencies and lovely code are pretty prevalent. There's orders of magnitude of performance to be had even if hardware has hit a wall. The software stuff is mostly political anyway.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Hey, look at AMD and Samsung, getting all cozy and warm together on the couch. Isn't that nice?

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/amd-embedded-gseries-2015jun17.aspx

I've been extremely curious as to what and whom AMD has been selling (if at all) their "G-series" of embedded APUs, and it seems like Samsung is throwing them a bone with the marrow picked out in the form of cheap thin-client "cloud monitors?"

All this talk about Samsung potentially making a bid on AMD's x86 properties seems more realistic now...

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

A Bad King posted:

Hey, look at AMD and Samsung, getting all cozy and warm together on the couch. Isn't that nice?

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/amd-embedded-gseries-2015jun17.aspx

I've been extremely curious as to what and whom AMD has been selling (if at all) their "G-series" of embedded APUs, and it seems like Samsung is throwing them a bone with the marrow picked out in the form of cheap thin-client "cloud monitors?"

All this talk about Samsung potentially making a bid on AMD's x86 properties seems more realistic now...
Samsung buying AMD would make the 14nm brawl even more hilarious

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Only problem is that pesky clause in the x86 license-contract-thing is that when AMD changes hands it goes the way of the dodo.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Boiled Water posted:

Only problem is that pesky clause in the x86 license-contract-thing is that when AMD changes hands it goes the way of the dodo.

A court battle that might be winnable.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Bad King posted:

A court battle that might be winnable.

I don't know, isn't the current license and agreement that it goes invalid if AMD ever goes bust a result of a previous court battle?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Turns out it's fiendishly more complicated. It's a cross-licensing deal in which AMD and Intel agree to let the other entity use patents and Intellectual Properties outlined in this agreement. Long story licensing agreement short if AMD gets acquired or goes bankrupt their entitlement to Intel IPs and patents are null and void and Intel gets to keep using AMDs patents and IPs. Entering into too close business ventures also voids the agreement in Intels favor. Of course it applies to Intel as well if they should ever be acquired/go bankrupt.

Edit: This contract was born out of the shitshow that followed the whole Intel bribing PC OEMs. AMD dropped the anti-trust lawsuit and cut the remaining ties with GlobalFoundries (which had previously been an AMD subsidiary), Intel paid them $1.25bn and they agreed on the contract.

champagne posting fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 25, 2015

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
They could just purchase a controlling share and prop up it's husk to keep the agreement.

Maybe? Seems like AMD got a raw deal in that agreement.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

They could not. If a person or persons acquire a controlling or even large minority stake in AMD or Intel the agreement the above happens. From our perspective in the far off world of 2015 it seems like a terrible deal. Yes, AMD got $1.25bn and the cross-license, but they got completely cut off from their fabricators.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Boiled Water posted:

Turns out it's fiendishly more complicated. It's a cross-licensing deal in which AMD and Intel agree to let the other entity use patents and Intellectual Properties outlined in this agreement. Long story licensing agreement short if AMD gets acquired or goes bankrupt their entitlement to Intel IPs and patents are null and void and Intel gets to keep using AMDs patents and IPs. Entering into too close business ventures also voids the agreement in Intels favor. Of course it applies to Intel as well if they should ever be acquired/go bankrupt.

Edit: This contract was born out of the shitshow that followed the whole Intel bribing PC OEMs. AMD dropped the anti-trust lawsuit and cut the remaining ties with GlobalFoundries (which had previously been an AMD subsidiary), Intel paid them $1.25bn and they agreed on the contract.

An immensely one sided agreement. How the hell did AMD agree to that?! Why would they agree to that? That just begs to set up a DoJ trust suit, regardless.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

A Bad King posted:

An immensely one sided agreement. How the hell did AMD agree to that?! Why would they agree to that? That just begs to set up a DoJ trust suit, regardless.
The kind of antitrust suit Samsung actually has has the assets to fight in, I'd wager.

Things will be all kinds of interesting if the pin drops.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
An antitrust suit only arises if Intel refuses to sell licenses.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

A Bad King posted:

They were super desperate for cash at the time in order to compete the GF spin off. Soon after they did that is when they started to cut people left and right in order to stem the losses since they couldn't improve sales.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
because Samsung's suits against US tech firms have gone so well

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've got an FX-8350 and for some reason every time I reboot it thinks that I've installed a new CPU, making me boot into BIOS and confirm settings every restart. Also, the fan is very very fast and loud all the time. Under idle load it runs about 3500 RPM (maybe 40c temp reading on the CPU) and playing batman yesterday it got up to 6200rpm (55c, sounded like a jet engine taking off).

Any advice? I may just need to get a new cooling system I guess?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Check your BIOS battery or that the clear CMOS pins aren't being shorted.

If you HSF was working OK fine before you gotta see what changed!

Check to see what the CPU fan settings are in the BIOS if they're adjustable.

Check to see if your HSF fan or the heatsink itself is smothered in dust too. If it is clean it off and see if it makes a difference. If you use a vac or compressed air don't just let the fan blades spin, hold them steady while you clean them. Some fans can be damaged if the rpms go to high from the vac or compressed air making them spin.

Check the thermal paste. If its dry or drying out clean it off thoroughly and then re-apply.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 26, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

I've got an FX-8350 and for some reason every time I reboot it thinks that I've installed a new CPU, making me boot into BIOS and confirm settings every restart. Also, the fan is very very fast and loud all the time. Under idle load it runs about 3500 RPM (maybe 40c temp reading on the CPU) and playing batman yesterday it got up to 6200rpm (55c, sounded like a jet engine taking off).

Any advice? I may just need to get a new cooling system I guess?

Why do you own an 8350?? :confused:

On a more serious note, I'd reseat your cooler and probably check the CMOS battery. It could be dead/dying leading to effectively the BIOS settings being wiped every time you turn off the computer.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

go3 posted:

because Samsung's suits against US tech firms have gone so well

All Intel have to do is call the department of defence and that will be that.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I should add that this is since I've owned it, I have just been tolerating it since I don't reboot too often.

New mobo also so I don't think the CMOS battery could be doing it. All components are new so I don't think it's dust or dry thermal paste. Thanks for the tip about holding the blades when cleaning though I didn't know that.

I'll try just reseating it, or otherwise yeah I may as well just invest in a water cooler.

What's wrong with the 8350? Seemed like decent value, only real drawback was the power draw as far as I can tell.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

What's wrong with the 8350? Seemed like decent value, only real drawback was the power draw as far as I can tell.

Looks about the same price range as an i5, which would be significantly faster.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

I should add that this is since I've owned it, I have just been tolerating it since I don't reboot too often.

New mobo also so I don't think the CMOS battery could be doing it. All components are new so I don't think it's dust or dry thermal paste. Thanks for the tip about holding the blades when cleaning though I didn't know that.

I'll try just reseating it, or otherwise yeah I may as well just invest in a water cooler.

Don't rule out a bad CMOS battery - I recently had a brand new Dell tower at work start giving date/time errors during boot because of a bad battery. CR2032 batteries aren't too expensive, replace yours and do the reboot test again - otherwise, could be something else in the BIOS or mainboard. Here's an article that might help with a few steps to try, not sure how many might apply to your CPU/mainboard but worth a shot: http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/237201-new-cpu-installed-message-keeps-appearing-bios-start-up.html

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

AMD CPUs horrendously have horrendous single thread performance (less than half as fast as an equivalent i5), which is what matters for 99% of consumer workloads. Even if you load up all eight cores with high parallel work, they underperform intel CPUs. They also have substantially higher power draw (which actually leads to more expensive motherboards) and an outdated platform (PCIE 2.0 heyo). There really is no advantage of the FX CPUs over equivalently priced or even cheaper Intel CPUs.

I don't know if you're gaming or not but 90% of games are bottlenecked in some degree by that CPU.

A $100 i3 + a $50 motherboard would be cheaper than the CPU alone and be shitloads better for gaming. Really if you have the option I'd just return it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

While I'm well aware of how poorly AMD FX processors fare in gaming compared to Intel (my current gaming PC was built around a Core i3 4330 and a GTX 970), how bad of an idea would it be to consider an AMD FX-8320 + mainboard upgrade for a computer whose sole purpose is a Plex Media Server and nothing else? Right now my Plex Media Server is an AMD Phenom II X4 840 on an MSI 880GM-E43 mainboard with 8GB of RAM. It can transcode, at max, around 3 to 4 simultaneous 720p 4Mbps before chugging it hard and the remote clients start stuttering/buffering. I'm getting new internet soon with decent upload speeds and would like to be able to dish out multiple 1080p transcodes at 8-10Mbps bitrate. I'm looking for a cheap solution where I can hopefully just drop in a new mainboard and CPU into my existing PMS.

I based my potential selection of the FX-8320 off of Plex support's server CPU guideline: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201774043-What-kind-of-CPU-do-I-need-for-my-Server-computer-

I asked the above in the build your PC thread and was basically pointed towards looking to getting the 8320E version instead, or an OEM 8300 because they have a lower TDP (the FX-8320 is 125W). Either way, good idea? Again, I'm basing this potential decision off PassMark scores (https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php) based on the Plex support recommendation.

• Locked thread