Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
NATO retired an AWACS today.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/309th-Aerospace-Maintenance-And-Regeneration-Group/193404834041207

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Does that mean it's for sale?

Can I buy it?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
You don't want it.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Re: the wingtip missile, It might actually be secret 1950s coal miners' kids rocket technology.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

quote:

The incident took place around 1pm at the 1st Wing in Muang district when the F-16A jet suddenly lurched forward almost 100 metres when the engine was started and was idling.

Time to hang up your pilot's license there grandpa.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Look they bound the brakes to the loving K key! That doesn't make any sense!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I'm flying from ICT to BDL via ATL on an MD-88. Is it worth it to pay the extra $39 a flight to upgrade to the select comfort? I have a 36" inseam so I'm really worried with the 31" seat pitch I'm going to be really uncomfortable though they're only 2 hr flights.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I think that really depends on how much $40 is worth to you. You'll survive regular economy but you probably won't like it. Is that worth $80 for both legs? y/n. I'd go for it, personally. Air travel is lovely enough as it is, might as well be a little more comfortable while you're dealing with it all. And I'm shorter than you, probably :v:

There's something else to consider with anything in the MD-series, though, and that's how far back in the plane you are. If you're in the way back you'll hate your life and it won't be seat pitch doing it to you. I'd pay for economy comfort to be in the front of the plane so as not to get stuck in 35A like I always seem to be :mad:

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 24, 2015

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah I paid it, got seat 10B and 10C

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
if nothing else, it's a learning experience. You'll find out whether or not it'll be worth doing for the next flight. :v:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Psion posted:

There's something else to consider with anything in the MD-series, though, and that's how far back in the plane you are. If you're in the way back you'll hate your life and it won't be seat pitch doing it to you. I'd pay for economy comfort to be in the front of the plane so as not to get stuck in 35A like I always seem to be :mad:

Nonsense, I've flown 32A on a MD-82 from LAX to SJC and it was pretty much a wonderful experience - it helped that I was actually in 32B, but the flight was empty so I moved over and spread out. It's not like JT8Ds are *that* loud

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

SybilVimes posted:

It's not like JT8Ds are *that* loud

Ugh, my inner ear just flashed back to my last MD88 ride. I was almost all the way in back, and the engine vibes couldn't have been more perfectly out of phase if someone had tried.
wwwuuuummmWUUUMMMMMMMwwummmWUMMMMMAAAAHHHHHHRGH

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SybilVimes posted:

Nonsense, I've flown 32A on a MD-82 from LAX to SJC and it was pretty much a wonderful experience - it helped that I was actually in 32B, but the flight was empty so I moved over and spread out. It's not like JT8Ds are *that* loud

What?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Duh, he had an encounter with an 82-7 at an R61J while in seat 896ER2F, of course the engine, an MD71-82-14-6-8000, was on its 7M99b scheduled cycle of JFYEH before the typical DUE, so it must've been a bit KE. It's a blessing he could spread out to avoid the EMRA coming from the MD-82 on approach while on the full cycle jetison burn-in during high duty cyclematation. Haven't you ever been in that situation?

e: forgot to mention this was the -b model lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Huh? You'll have to speak up.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

eggyolk posted:

Duh, he had an encounter with an 82-7 at an R61J while in seat 896ER2F, of course the engine, an MD71-82-14-6-8000, was on its 7M99b scheduled cycle of JFYEH before the typical DUE, so it must've been a bit KE. It's a blessing he could spread out to avoid the EMRA coming from the MD-82 on approach while on the full cycle jetison burn-in during high duty cyclematation. Haven't you ever been in that situation?

Well, that joke went clean over your head, didn't it?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Let me tell you about my margarita mixer.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I really need to take a trip to AMARC.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Will they be putting a stake through its heart, filling the cockpit with holy wafers, and burying it in consecrated ground?

block51
Jun 18, 2002

Ghetto? Yes, But I still shop there.

I just had my day made by finding out that they have a facebook page that posts some pretty rad photos. Thanks!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Extra leg room worth it, vodka is pretty low tier though

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

eggyolk posted:

I bet this makes sense to IYAAYAS

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Posting from the inside of one of the few civvie FB-111A Sims in the world. Code boxes and everything intact! Working on getting it into the museum as a working exhibit

Spaced God fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 25, 2015

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

This gets really good after 5 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTPlk70eSLY

:chord:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

You know what we haven't had in a while?
:siren:dronechat:siren:

http://m.liveleak.com/view?i=ac3_1435080329

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 25, 2015

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Linedance posted:

god drat it

http://flightclub.jalopnik.com/that-video-of-a-drone-striking-a-plane-wing-is-totally-1713451709

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Haha thanks for doing the due diligence!
Nothing to see here folks :downs:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Linedance posted:

This is hilarious though:

Patrick George 6/23/15 4:31pm posted:

Doesn’t stop me being outraged about all hundreds of dead Americans falling their deaths in flying coffins because of the skyrocketing cases of drone-aircraft strikes.

The government is responsible for more than HALF of the strikes, that’s why the PRESS NEVER REPORTS IT! the other half the deadly drone strikes is multi-nationals like Facebook who pay the families of the dead MAJOR HUSH MONEY! Nobody is talking about this tragic and dangerous epidemic. You can only get good info on the forums where the NSA can’t track you.

Don’t be caught up by the ‘flying is safer than driving BS.’ The feds say that over and over as a method of population control!

IT STARTED WITH THE CHEMTRAILS!

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Linedance posted:

I was actually hoping it was real because that scenario is all too plausible and it'll take footage like that before we can muster the public outrage necessary to start prosecuting idiots who can't see anything wrong (or perhaps do, and think its hilarious) with flying their dji phantoms in the vicinity of an aerodrome

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Linedance posted:

I don't think that is how the wingtip would break up anyway. Does anyone know if a 737's wingtip is composite or AL? If it's composite my money is on the wingtip wining against a drone, and if it's AL then it wouldn't shatter like it does in the video. Overall, C- wouldn't think critically about again.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

CBJamo posted:

I don't think that is how the wingtip would break up anyway. Does anyone know if a 737's wingtip is composite or AL? If it's composite my money is on the wingtip wining against a drone, and if it's AL then it wouldn't shatter like it does in the video. Overall, C- wouldn't think critically about again.

The winglets fitted to 737s are composite, with an aluminium leading edge for anti-ice. They're actually pretty sturdy - as much or even moreso than the rest of the wing - but a big impact could still break the winglet.

I would say you're probably right in expressing doubt that they would break like in the video though.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
A Lawn Dart Lawn-Darted a few towns over this morning

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona/2015/06/25/military-plane-crash-douglas-abrk/29257353/

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Again? I could swear someone posted another F-16 like yesterday or something

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

So I found my way into a corporate jet convention at Teterboro today somehow. Spent all day hanging out in private jets and poo poo. I took a lot of photos but here are some

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Spaced God posted:

So I found my way into a corporate jet convention at Teterboro today somehow. Spent all day hanging out in private jets and poo poo. I took a lot of photos but here are some

Man, I really wish I was there. I love bizjets :(

e: wow nice album title.

marumaru fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 25, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That deranged post is from a jalopnik reader and not their editor. I'm kinda disappointed.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

Note how close that Tornado gets to its shadow at times :aaa:

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

MrChips posted:

The winglets fitted to 737s are composite, with an aluminium leading edge for anti-ice. They're actually pretty sturdy - as much or even moreso than the rest of the wing - but a big impact could still break the winglet.

I would say you're probably right in expressing doubt that they would break like in the video though.

Having seen multiple broken winglets whilst working for everybody's favourite Irish airline - when they break, they do go a bit like that. Fiberglass-ish, mostly, and once you damage it you have several-hundred-mph winds catching at something that's not particularly aerodynamic. It would probably last better than the effects in that video though!

And again from the damage I've seen, I don't think they're quite as strong as the rest of the wing - winglet-winglet or winglet-stabiliser impacts almost always leave the winglet coming out worse. This is probably a good thing, as it's straightforward to replace the winglet.

Before I moved on from Ryanair, I had to handle a winglet from a towing incident. During the winter parking, the ground handlers towed the second aircraft into the first one. The outer three or four foot of the winglet sheared off completely and was left embedded in the horizontal stabiliser of the other aircraft. The break was rather ragged and messy. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of it!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

holocaust bloopers posted:

That deranged post is from a jalopnik reader and not their editor. I'm kinda disappointed.

I'd like to think (hope) that that was some sort of joke post cause it looks like something I'd type in a comments section to gently caress with people and yeah it's probably a real crazypants :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

SyHopeful posted:

I bet this makes sense to IYAAYAS

lol

Inacio posted:

Again? I could swear someone posted another F-16 like yesterday or something

The one a day or two ago was a Thai F-16 where gramps got the throttle confused with the brake. The one overnight was an Iraqi F-16 in Tucson (AZ ANG has a foreign F-16 training mission there.)