Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

There is another factor to people socking it away to make money, and that is the fact they imagine they're going to make even more money so they don't sell. Or they forget. Part of speculating is knowing when to accept the money and move the product, and a lot of people who spec don't do that or don't understand.

Also this conversation is kinda nutso since speculating on stuff is a hobby in and of itself. If you don't enjoy that hobby you can't really understand the enjoyment or the fact that yeah making $4 an hour on this ain't great from a cash perspective but making money while having fun changes the equation immensely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gammatron 64 posted:

I've also more or less given up hunting toys in actual brick and mortar stores and buy online 99% of the time, because it just isn't worth my time and gas money to drive to a few different targets with bare shelves.

Preach it brother. I've been trying to rely on sourcing stuff for myself through Diamond (and in a huge shock to me, everything extra I have ordered has sold out) or going through Amazon.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Scalpers and resellers get in my goddamn way. They are an active impediment to me enjoying MY hobby.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Man, this thread isn't usually so aggressive but it's getting there, man.

Taint Reaper unleashed the hate plague on us all

*starts glowing red, shoves a screwdriver into the first person's eyesocket*

I'm a pepper, wouldn't you like to be a pepper too?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Spiderdrake posted:

There is another factor to people socking it away to make money, and that is the fact they imagine they're going to make even more money so they don't sell. Or they forget. Part of speculating is knowing when to accept the money and move the product, and a lot of people who spec don't do that or don't understand.

Also this conversation is kinda nutso since speculating on stuff is a hobby in and of itself. If you don't enjoy that hobby you can't really understand the enjoyment or the fact that yeah making $4 an hour on this ain't great from a cash perspective but making money while having fun changes the equation immensely.
Yeah, I guess I do not understand what is fun about putting toys in boxes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gammatron 64 posted:

Nah, I don't particularly hate them or something. A lot of people do, though. I just think it's not a very smart idea because I've seen plenty of people go down that path only to have it blow up in their faces.

I'm not trying to bust your balls man, if anything I'm trying to help you out by warning you that poo poo can end poorly and often does. Ultimately it's your choice what you do with your time and money, but scalping toys just isn't for me, man.

I've also more or less given up hunting toys in actual brick and mortar stores and buy online 99% of the time, because it just isn't worth my time and gas money to drive to a few different targets with bare shelves.
Wait, are you calling me a scalper? :lol:

I'm not a scalper, dude. Scalpers go to Toys R Us when they open and fill carts with all the brand new "good poo poo" the moment it goes on shelves. Scalpers have routes around town for stores. I just buy stuff that's on clearance to sell later, whether it be in a store aisle and marked down, a website clearance, or a black friday sale. If you're holding it against me that I take advantage of deals where the items are 50% off or more and buy stuff en masse, then I say again that I have no sympathy for you, since you had plenty of time to get them before they were being liquidated. If you want to guarantee that you get something, buy it full price. If you want to wait for a sale, then you're running the risk of it going out of stock. It's simple as that. Stores clearance items to get rid of unwanted stock, which means it's been available for long enough that you had ample chance to buy one.

When I buy stuff like I'm talking about with Metroplex/Devastator/Grimlock/Soundwave, I buy two, one to keep, one to sell to cover the cost of the one I bought for myself. If that counts as scalping, well, your definition of scalper is quite wide, perhaps too much so. Regardless, I've been doing this for a while now, I'm pretty keen on what will and won't work when it comes to reselling. If it's a sure profit, I'll go for it. The 80% off stuff during Amazon's black friday sale, absolutely. There's very little chance of not at least breaking even on that stuff, like Springer, since he was down to 11 or so bucks at one point, and is already going for 25 regularly on Ebay.

Spiderdrake posted:

Exactly. I'm perfectly happy, as many people likely would be, with a 100% profit on what I buy. The B-Wings, for example. I don't really expect them to skyrocket like the UCS Death Star or anything, so I'm totally happy getting 200 bucks after fees when I paid 100 bucks each for them. Yeah, boxed Legos take up A LOT of room, but like I said, spare storage room makes that a non-issue.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 25, 2015

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It's sad that Iron Factory made this as a companion piece for Warbotron's Computron because I'd really like a full set of cute legends Dinobots, and not the war within versions someone teased a while back.

edit: poo poo I keep forgetting how huge these guys actually are:

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 25, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You are very defensive about being a toy scalper.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Blackheart posted:

It's sad that Iron Factory made this as a companion piece for Warbotron's Computron because I'd really like a full set of cute legends Dinobots, and not the war within versions someone teased a while back.

I was told they were voyager-sized.

Jesus christ.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Blackheart posted:

Man, Devastator is...well endowed.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Haha, fat fat Long Haul!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endless Mike posted:

You are very defensive about being a toy scalper.
I should be more like you and only make lovely snipes, right?

therealjon_ posted:

Haha, fat fat Long Haul!
He's a sumo wrestler. Don't judge

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Blackheart posted:

long haul big, yeah yeah yeah

it's not small, no no no

i really wanna click those hip ratchets and hear the springs echo through the halls of the house.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Captain Invictus posted:

Wait, are you calling me a scalper? :lol:

I'm not a scalper, dude. Scalpers go to Toys R Us when they open and fill carts with all the brand new "good poo poo" the moment it goes on shelves. Scalpers have routes around town for stores. I just buy stuff that's on clearance to sell later, whether it be in a store aisle and marked down, a website clearance, or a black friday sale. If you're holding it against me that I take advantage of deals where the items are 50% off or more and buy stuff en masse, then I say again that I have no sympathy for you, since you had plenty of time to get them before they were being liquidated. If you want to guarantee that you get something, buy it full price. If you want to wait for a sale, then you're running the risk of it going out of stock. It's simple as that. Stores clearance items to get rid of unwanted stock, which means it's been available for long enough that you had ample chance to buy one.

When I buy stuff like I'm talking about with Metroplex/Devastator/Grimlock/Soundwave, I buy two, one to keep, one to sell to cover the cost of the one I bought for myself. If that counts as scalping, well, your definition of scalper is quite wide, perhaps too much so. Regardless, I've been doing this for a while now, I'm pretty keen on what will and won't work when it comes to reselling. If it's a sure profit, I'll go for it. The 80% off stuff during Amazon's black friday sale, absolutely. There's very little chance of not at least breaking even on that stuff, like Springer, since he was down to 11 or so bucks at one point, and is already going for 25 regularly on Ebay.

Exactly. I'm perfectly happy, as many people likely would be, with a 100% profit on what I buy. The B-Wings, for example. I don't really expect them to skyrocket like the UCS Death Star or anything, so I'm totally happy getting 200 bucks after fees when I paid 100 bucks each for them. Yeah, boxed Legos take up A LOT of room, but like I said, spare storage room makes that a non-issue.

I don't actually care very much and I'm certainly not dogpiling but you're not claiming you found MP Grimlock/Soundwave at 50% off, are you? Surely you're talking about two different reselling habits-- one when you buy at deep discount, and one where you grab an extra of a hot item. I would call the second type scalping, but I wouldn't call you a scalper. Let he who is without scalp ("I'll just pick up a second one for...a friend? Someone on SA? poo poo, SOMEONE I know will want this...") cast the first Auto Roller.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Captain Invictus posted:

What kind of happy fantasyland do you live in where UCS B-Wings and Death Stars get clearanced for $100? Very few stores outside of the LEGO Stores themselves carry the UCS stuff, and I've never even seen a UCS B-Wing on a retail shelf outside of a LEGO Store. The Death Star is still available at most LEGO Stores and it is of course full retail and has never been clearanced. And you're saying you bought TEN B-Wings on clearance? Even when retail stores get the UCS sets, they only get a handful; who's getting ten of these things and not selling any until clearance time? I've been collecting Star Wars LEGO since 1999 and I do not believe this story.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 25, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I don't actually care very much and I'm certainly not dogpiling but you're not claiming you found MP Grimlock/Soundwave at 50% off, are you? Surely you're talking about two different reselling habits-- one when you buy at deep discount, and one where you grab an extra of a hot item. I would call the second type scalping, but I wouldn't call you a scalper. Let he who is without scalp ("I'll just pick up a second one for...a friend? Someone on SA? poo poo, SOMEONE I know will want this...") cast the first Auto Roller.
Oh, no, what I was saying was I do large-scale stuff when it's deep discounts, 50-80% off, and I'll buy a dozen or more at a time. But if I want a particularly expensive item such as a masterpiece Grimlock or Soundwave or a Metroplex, I buy a second one to sell down the line to recuperate the cost. It's the only way I can justify buying as many as I do, and I keep my various budgets separate from each other; Lego money goes into Lego stuff, TF money goes into TF stuff, Team Fortress 2 hat money goes into that, etc.

I could see the second one being considered scalping, sure. But it's not even close to the scale that someone actually known as a "scalper" would be, it's something I do maybe once or twice a year with a single item. I just think Gamma thought I was one of the hoarding types, stocking up on masterpieces. :v:

...Well, I do have quite a few big boxes full of unopened TFs to sell later, but that's mostly stuff like Scoops that were 4 dollars, or FOC Shockwaves that were 6, or FOC Blasters that were 9, etc

Keldroc posted:

What kind of happy fantasyland do you live in where UCS B-Wings and Death Stars get clearanced for $100? Very few stores outside of the LEGO Stores themselves carry the UCS stuff, and I've never even seen a UCS B-Wing on a retail shelf outside of a LEGO Store. The Death Star is still available at most LEGO Stores and it is of course full retail and has never been clearanced. And you're saying you bought TEN B-Wings on clearance? Even when retail stores get the UCS sets, they only get a handful; who's getting ten of these things and not selling any until clearance time? I've been collecting Star Wars LEGO since 1999 and I do not believe this story.
The Lego website. They had UCS death stars for at least a couple days before selling out after their production run ended, but there was no notification, if you didn't catch them when they were available, you were out of luck. UCS B-Wings were the same and lasted about a day since all the big lego sites spilled the beans on the clearance, and you could get them for a hundred in the stores themselves, too, if you were willing to brave them on that fateful weekend. I spoke with a guy who works in the Burlington Lego store and he said "it was like a pack of wild animals had come into the store, when we opened that day". There's a reason I don't do sale events in stores, only online.

You should keep an eye on the "Sales and Deals" section of the Lego site if you want some good stuff, since that poo poo gets cleared out of anything good within a few hours these days.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 25, 2015

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

long haul big, yeah yeah yeah

it's not small, no no no

i really wanna click those hip ratchets and hear the springs echo through the halls of the house.

Yeah I unironically like fat Long Haul. Gives him lotsa character. I liked Maketoys' Longhaul for the same reason, and ROTF Longhaul/Payload is a cool mold sadly hampered by the articulation that can't be named.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Keldroc posted:

I remember seeing the Death Star Dollhouse on clearance at the Bellevue, WA Lego Store. This is a vivid memory, because I was sad to realize that even if they were $1, I couldn't store the drat thing anywhere. Everything else I have no idea about.

Captain Invictus posted:

I could see the second one being considered scalping, sure. But it's not even close to the scale that someone actually known as a "scalper" would be, it's something I do maybe once or twice a year with a single item. I just think Gamma thought I was one of the hoarding types, stocking up on masterpieces. :v:

And to be fair, he's a bit right, that's all I'm saying. But I don't think you're "a scalper" in much the same way that feeding some cows 4-5 times a year does not make one "a cowboy." You shouldn't be yelled at because most collectors (that can afford to) engage in some form of that behavior, whether the extra is for a friend, to have an extra to customize, or whatever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus, it got a little TFWy in here.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Jesus, it got a little TFWy in here.

[POLL] How should Ha$BLOW *finally* make my precious CHUG roller force-- leader or supreme class??

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Invictus, I'm sorry, but what you're doing isn't cool. Those toys should be bought by people who will enjoy them, not grabbed by middlemen for a mediocre level of profit.

Edit: There's a difference between picking up an extra for a friend, and buying one to keep off the market until you can make someone pay more for it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Blackheart posted:

Yeah I unironically like fat Long Haul. Gives him lotsa character. I liked Maketoys' Longhaul for the same reason, and ROTF Longhaul/Payload is a cool mold sadly hampered by the articulation that can't be named.

Fat Long Haul is the best :3:

though tbh, if the name "Wide Load" wasn't already taken it'd make for a great name for Fat Long Haul.

Or Long Haul & Wide Load as a double-act.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

An Angry Bug posted:

Invictus, I'm sorry, but what you're doing isn't cool. Those toys should be bought by people who will enjoy them, not grabbed by middlemen for a mediocre level of profit.
Sorry, but I'm going to keep doing what allows me to continue buying new robots to fiddle with. It's clear we're not going to come to terms, so I'm going to drop out of this conversation before it gets any more heated.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

But seriously guys I wouldn't mind a Drag Strip recolored into Roller Force sometime

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I wouldn't mind an actual IDW Roller transformer.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I think what you are doing is fine. I just feel like the ROI is little to nothing for the amount of time spent holding the product.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Autobot City Comics is in my town. He's a douche beyond scalping and it sucks.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
It's a couple of pages back but re: Unite Warriors vs Combiner Wars prices. Unite Warriors from amiami/hlj/all the other places for Japanese toys ends up coming out much cheaper compared to the Hasbro versions for the UK. Not including shipping obviously, but even then it still comes out less. I'm getting Takara Ultra Magnus even though it has the wrong little fellow because the price difference even INCLUDING shipping, $60 vs $85. Takara Devs is going to be a whole other kettle of fish in terms of shipping, but it's worth considering.

I did the conversion: Menasor and Superion (limbs+torso only, no scout) cost me ~$170 each buying from the UK. HLJ has Superion for $97 right now. Jesus Christ no wonder nobody buys these things to the point where Hasbro say it's not worth releasing them here at all.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm just sitting back all :smug: at you guys talking about your Transformers investments. Who needs a 401k when I've got a giant box of unopened Star Wars: Power of the Force figures from the 90s sitting in my basement, just waiting to be cashed in on. I've even got FOUR Slave Leias!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I wouldn't mind an actual IDW Roller transformer.

there's always one of the 3P Tarns...

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Also IronFactory are making a tiny Grimlock to go with Warbotron Computron but no brain transfer device accessory what the HECK is this clown show.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I notice that many online sellers in Malaysia are also selling Unite Warriors and leader-class Legends toys for cheaper than their Hasbro counterparts.

The silliest must be with MP robots. Hasbro MP Prowl is almost 2.5x the price of the Takara version.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I adore those Iron Factory Legends scale stuff.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Someone talking about investments?

Yes, those price tags are real, and yes, there I have way more than just those tucked away (like MTG comiccon exclusives)

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

SpikeMcclane posted:

Autobot City Comics is in my town. He's a douche beyond scalping and it sucks.

Didn't it close like forever ago cause the guy was too lazy to actually run the store or stock poo poo?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

EthanSteele posted:

Also IronFactory are making a tiny Grimlock to go with Warbotron Computron but no brain transfer device accessory what the HECK is this clown show.

It's so weird to me that I've gone from an era when you owned a G1 Ratchet because it was the most accurate Ratchet available, to an age when Company A's Grimlock is an add-on to Company B's Computron but it's missing an accessory so just go to Company C where Some Guy has made that accessory available. Don't forget to buy custom stickers from Company D! And none of the entities involved are HasTak. I can't even imagine how much more awesome and fractured this hobby will become before we run out of petrochemicals.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Someone talking about investments?

Yes, those price tags are real, and yes, there I have way more than just those tucked away (like MTG comiccon exclusives)

You're just lucky I can only see about 2 of them. Is that some internal department giveaway?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Thank you thread, I got my Devy pre-lesson and while I was at it I might as well order the Protectobots. I am going to be running out of room for my combiners really soon, that's a great problem to have.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I'm on the cusp of a giant load of Transformers hitting my POL, so I think I'm gonna bail on Unite Superior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

The_Doctor posted:

You're just lucky I can only see about 2 of them. Is that some internal department giveaway?

Comic-con exclusives usually eventually just wind up in the company store at the normal discount (as low as 1/2 price)

When some things sit in the warehouse for a while they eventually ship it to the store - and they slash the prices on those even more
It's generally a crapshoot, a lot of the warehouse stuff has damaged boxes and the like, but sometimes you get gems (like those Blasters, I think they were marked down even lower than the tag to like $5 or $10, I wouldn't have bought 3 otherwise)