Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rarity posted:

Got my feedback on my interview today. My potential manager thought I presented myself well, that I had clearly prepped myself a lot and that I knew what I was talking about. I also did really well on the Excel test despite only first hearing about the concepts it required the night before. I got 3 out of the 4 questions right (apparently everyone else scored 0) and even though he could tell they were new concepts for me it was clear that I was picking them up quickly without needing help. I now have a second interview on Friday with the same guy and one of our main shareholders/head of HR which I'm told is "more like an informal chat".

I have no idea what to expect from that. Will it just be a rehash of the first interview? Do I need to prep for a whole load more of potential questions? Will it just be a relaxed 'getting to know you while you get to know us' deal? Does anyone have any advice? It's between me and one other girl and I don't want to blow it now :ohdear:

First interview was the practical test, second sounds like it will more be a culture fit interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
So, a recruiter called me up a few weeks ago, gave some vague details about a job and asked whether I would be interested. I was pretty lukewarm (the location is terrible) but said I'd like to hear more.

She calls up yesterday and tells me I've been shortlisted and to finally give me the job details. It is not what I want and I'm scheduled to give a presentation and tour of the facility. I may still do it - I could use the interview practice.

(Edit: just read the full job description. It's like a laundry list of everything I don't want to do.)

nonathlon fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jun 25, 2015

Smif-N-Wessun
Jan 18, 2009

P.U.S.H.
Just had a great interview with a Fortune 500 company about 2 days ago. In anyone's personal experience how long did they take to get back to you? My last two roles I got offers the day after. I want this job badly so I'm kinda anxious about. The pressures at the job I have now makes me want to go jump off a cliff.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Weeks to a month and a half.

Fortune 500s are usually layered in enough bureaucracy that there's no way you're getting a really timely offer.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah. It can take forever to get any feedback even to your internal applications when you're a perfect candidate and could literally just walk over to the decision makers. Just hold on.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

Fortune 500s are usually layered in enough bureaucracy that there's no way you're getting a really timely offer.

Yep. Yesterday my recruiter told me that I've been selected for the position but that I won't get the official letter for another 2-3 weeks due to corporate stuff. :pwn:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Knyteguy posted:

Get rid of objective that's a pretty standard suggestion. Weird bullet point below related IT courses I'd delete that. Weird spacing in the middle of your skills fix that. Put experience section at the top since that's the most important. I'd personally get rid of that red line and the border around the thing. Get it down to 1 page. I don't like all the different font sizes you have going on it's disconcerting.

Maybe recreate your resume on Google Docs or export it to a PDF to share because formatting is important and it's impossible to give good input until we can see what it actually looks like.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=DB356431EE224F9C!198&authkey=!AAxb_Q9i2d-nBzg&ithint=file%2cdocx

this is a clearer version of the resume. I have another one my school's Career Center helped me make. The first one I made at my 2-year school's Career Center. They told me it was "Visually Appealing"

Smif-N-Wessun
Jan 18, 2009

P.U.S.H.

No Butt Stuff posted:

Just got the offer! Awesome bro. It took 4 days. When they need you, they move fast.

4 business days. From phone screen to offer. 4 friggin days. Great!

Smif-N-Wessun fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 25, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Race Realists posted:

this is a clearer version of the resume. I have another one my school's Career Center helped me make.
Tables tables tables. Use tables to make your entries in places like Education. Separating key items like the degree/certificate from the date, location, school, etc. with spaces and tabs just looks sloppy and is super error prone.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Got to turn down a job today after being turned down by them initially :toot: The recruiter sounded so sad too, I told him I was starting a new job on Monday and he just said "Oh...good for you". To be fair though, they were right not to go with me first because no way was I going to stay there longer than the six-month contract they were offering.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Smif-N-Wessun posted:

Just got the offer! Awesome bro. It took 4 days. When they need you, they move fast.

4 business days.

This is true. They can be serious bureaucracies, but I just had a call with a

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Well, gently caress. I was told that I've been selected for the position but won't get the official letter for another 2-3 weeks, okay whatever. I got this position through a 3rd party recruiter, who is now in the process of calling my supervisory references. She just called me and spoke to my first reference, and told me that I was given "mixed reviews." The gently caress?! Was totally out of left field. I had been a stellar employee for a long time, but I'll admit, my enthusiasm and interest dropped at the end when the company started changing a lot of policies that screwed employees over. I was over the place. But I still did my job. I can only hope my second reference doesn't say the same???

How bad does this affect my chances? I'm sitting at work sick to my stomach. I'm honestly surprised.

Smif-N-Wessun
Jan 18, 2009

P.U.S.H.

Susical posted:

Well, gently caress. I was told that I've been selected for the position but won't get the official letter for another 2-3 weeks, okay whatever. I got this position through a 3rd party recruiter, who is now in the process of calling my supervisory references. She just called me and spoke to my first reference, and told me that I was given "mixed reviews." The gently caress?! Was totally out of left field. I had been a stellar employee for a long time, but I'll admit, my enthusiasm and interest dropped at the end when the company started changing a lot of policies that screwed employees over. I was over the place. But I still did my job. I can only hope my second reference doesn't say the same???

How bad does this affect my chances? I'm sitting at work sick to my stomach. I'm honestly surprised.

In my personal experience. Not much effect.

Hearing "he's great" from one manager and "a couple mistakes, he wasn't the best" from another manager isn't going to hurt you that much.

They're looking for stuff like "Yea he was a complete piece of poo poo that stole."

If they like you. They like you. Don't sweat it and relax my friend. I'm in the same boat right now. But I am unfazed. We're only alive for so long, no need to fret about poo poo we can't change.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Susical posted:

Also anecdotal, but I was offered my current job before they even spoke with my references, and I thought my references were arguably the strongest part of my resume. If they've already made you an offer then they want to hire you, and are just making sure the work history on your resume is accurate and that you didn't try to shank anyone at a previous job.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

HiroProtagonist posted:

Not saying this is wrong (because that's impossible for anyone to know really), but in a company any larger than "tiny" or "small" this probably isn't a good event to infer anything from.

Linkedin requires job postings to expire after a certain set period, up to a maximum of 30 days. This expiration may even itself vary based on the package the company purchased with Linkedin that gives them the ability to create job postings. It may very well be that they have someone assigned to automatically renew any open job requisitions when they expire without any input from a hiring manager, whose position also may have little to nothing to do with the hiring process itself.

They really don't lose anything from re-posting an open req even if they're getting down to a very short list of candidates, which is why I said it's not good to infer anything.

Yeah I probably should have made a better separation of my ideas; I was recommending moving on emotionally from the position on since it sounded like the poster was getting anxious about it and I know from recent experience how much it sucks to not hear back about a job when you're expecting to.

Suspicious Package
Jun 18, 2004

What is the general consensus on the file format for a resume these days?

I have been using PDF, which is text searchable, but I haven't been having much luck. Even though a lot of places say they accept PDF, maybe it is safer to go with DOC to get through these screening programs correctly?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Suspicious Package posted:

What is the general consensus on the file format for a resume these days?

I have been using PDF, which is text searchable, but I haven't been having much luck. Even though a lot of places say they accept PDF, maybe it is safer to go with DOC to get through these screening programs correctly?

Use pdf.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
A while back I spoke with a recruiter who had a couple of positions open at a prominent company in my area. We had a bit of back-and-forth, and last I heard from her (at least a week ago, maybe two) the company was reviewing my resume along with those of other candidates. Today she finally gets back to me and they want to do a 30-minute phone interview with me next week! Except I'm starting my new job on Monday :v: Obviously I'm not going to bail on my new employer for a chance to get hired with this new company, but I'd like them to at least have some record of my existence if in a few years I decide to look for another job and I like to practice my interview skills whenever I can. Would it be weird if I took the phone interview anyway, and then if they follow up with me later say "Oh jeez, I just accepted another offer, but thanks for your time", or am I just going to look like a douche? The other problem is that they want to interview me during the day next week when I'll be at work, think I can talk them into a 5 PM call?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's all little douchey, but they'll never know you're lying. You're wasting their time and it's doubtful you'll make such an impression that they'll remember to hire you in a few years.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Race Realists posted:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=DB356431EE224F9C!198&authkey=!AAxb_Q9i2d-nBzg&ithint=file%2cdocx

this is a clearer version of the resume. I have another one my school's Career Center helped me make. The first one I made at my 2-year school's Career Center. They told me it was "Visually Appealing"

That definitely fixed most of the strange spacing and formatting errors. I'd still personally make your font properties more homogenous. I also wouldn't do the red line and circle. Resume templates are kind of bad in my experience.

The career center one I'd move the technical skills to be next to the bullet points, and put professional experience up top still. Companies are going to care more about your experience than anything in most cases. I have a projects section on my resume, so maybe you could put your school experience and projects you did there if your professional experience isn't relevant to your job, and put that up top instead. Here's how I did my projects: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OgE-vCpvl7LhrLWr4Gtx_zlctBGi4k-ehj2AYbTDvgA/edit?usp=sharing

Google docs is adding that second page for some reason on my anonymous resume. My actual resume is just 1 page.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

C-Euro posted:

A while back I spoke with a recruiter who had a couple of positions open at a prominent company in my area. We had a bit of back-and-forth, and last I heard from her (at least a week ago, maybe two) the company was reviewing my resume along with those of other candidates. Today she finally gets back to me and they want to do a 30-minute phone interview with me next week! Except I'm starting my new job on Monday :v: Obviously I'm not going to bail on my new employer for a chance to get hired with this new company, but I'd like them to at least have some record of my existence if in a few years I decide to look for another job and I like to practice my interview skills whenever I can. Would it be weird if I took the phone interview anyway, and then if they follow up with me later say "Oh jeez, I just accepted another offer, but thanks for your time", or am I just going to look like a douche? The other problem is that they want to interview me during the day next week when I'll be at work, think I can talk them into a 5 PM call?

They'll forget about you ten minutes after they've filed the position if not way before then. Interview practice is way overrated. Don't waste your time and theirs.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
I was hoping I could get some feedback on my CV, here. From my point of view, I am having difficulty committing to a one-page resume format and I would find it particularly useful to get some comments from someone with experience in either a European or Australian context (There is normally a third page to my CV, but it is just my references).

Ideally I would like to aim for a policy or project (support) role in the human rights/development field, but my experience in this area is limited to a year and a half, spread over four different positions. As a result, I feel like I'm using a lot of space to highlight what is a relatively small amount of experience.

One last thing that I'd like to ask is:
Many of the jobs I'm interested in ask the applicant to respond individually to a list of selection criteria, usually seven to 10 elements. I loving hate this process and I feel like, with my limited experience, I'm constantly repeating myself and scraping the bottom of the barrel. I have read a few guides, but if anyone has any easily digestible advice I would be eager to hear it.

Esposito fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 26, 2015

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Esposito posted:

One last thing that I'd like to ask is:
Many of the jobs I'm interested in ask the applicant to respond individually to a list of selection criteria, usually seven to 10 elements. I loving hate this process and I feel like, with my limited experience, I'm constantly repeating myself and scraping the bottom of the barrel. I have read a few guides, but if anyone has any easily digestible advice I would be eager to hear it.

Ugh, those are a pain. Is that what the 'key skills' section is for?

On the rest of your resume:

Way too much white space up top and on the sides, cut the margins in half. That'll free up a ton of space.

Cut down your education section. Is the coursework in computer science relevant for human rights/international development jobs? Same with the software skills.

2002 is too far back for the community engagement section, and the rest of the bullet points are kind of irrelevant.

Records management in HP Trim, is that going to help you in the jobs you're looking at? If not, delete it.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

It's always a nice boost when you send out a resume and get a response within a few hours. :unsmith:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I got the job! :neckbeard: The hiring manager even said I was clearly the right person for the position from the start :unsmith:

Now I just have to worry about how to get a whole load of call centre employees to work the hours they're supposed to work :negative:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

C-Euro posted:

Don't waste their time. Especially don't waste their off-work time. If someone did that to me, I wouldn't be happy about it. However, if they e-mailed me and said the job looked good, but they had already accepted another job offer, I'd keep their resume around in case they didn't like the new job.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Rarity posted:

I got the job! :neckbeard: The hiring manager even said I was clearly the right person for the position from the start :unsmith:

Now I just have to worry about how to get a whole load of call centre employees to work the hours they're supposed to work :negative:

Close - your job is almost certainly to properly schedule them and note times when they didn't do what you scheduled them to do. If actually making them do what you scheduled is your job as well then you're not just a scheduler you're also their manager so I'd ask for a raise.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Alright I revised my resume again: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_cmfqGXkblVS3IzcThNQllqNDg/view?usp=sharing

It looks ... less empty than before I guess.

kozism
Mar 28, 2010
Hey Goons,

Back in the job market after quitting my corporate sales role at a huge tech company. I made some decent money there, but the culture was lovely and was eating up my entire life. Did some traveling while I was between jobs and I just relocated back to my hometown of Dallas, TX.

My goal is to transition out of a sales career (it was my first choice right out of college because of $$$, but I do not think I am a good fit for sales) and into an analyst role. Business Analyst interests me and it seems like you need a couple years experience or even a certification for some of those jobs. I'm throwing the net out far and trying to fish anything in an office setting that is not directly sales/call-center type gigs. I have an interest in Marketing and Analytical office work. Ideally I'd love to be able to crunch numbers and talk to other lines of businesses (sales, marketing, etc) to help them out with their needs.

Anyways please critique my resume and let me know what tweaks (or giant overhaul) I should do to make it seem more presentable for companies looking for more analytical work. I am receiving tons of calls from recruiters for sales positions, but most of these are sketchy as gently caress or have pay models that are 100% commission.

Fire away!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By3GL9YVqdqgc1pVTnRBREJZZXc/view?usp=sharing

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Alder posted:

Alright I revised my resume again: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_cmfqGXkblVS3IzcThNQllqNDg/view?usp=sharing

It looks ... less empty than before I guess.

Can you say something other than 'Frequently met monthly sales targets,' which just makes me focus on the fact that there were times you didn't meet them, like 'Frequently exceeded monthly sales targets'?

Xandu posted:

Ugh, those are a pain. Is that what the 'key skills' section is for?

No, the key skills section has just been on every Australian resume I've ever seen, so I've adopted it by default; you still need to respond with 80-120 words to each of the seven selection criteria in a separate document.

quote:

On the rest of your resume:

Good points, I'll enact them. Thanks.

Esposito fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 27, 2015

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I start a New Job on July 10th. I don't think I've ever posted in this thread before, but I've read everything.

I've been interviewing on and off for above 8 months now. I love my company but my coworker doesn't work well with others and it's resulted in me working ~50 hours a week because she's so slow.

I'm also Switching industries too and taking a pretty big bump in pay, so thank you guys.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Dik Hz posted:

Don't waste their time. Especially don't waste their off-work time. If someone did that to me, I wouldn't be happy about it. However, if they e-mailed me and said the job looked good, but they had already accepted another job offer, I'd keep their resume around in case they didn't like the new job.

At this point this is where I'm leaning, especially since it's going to look weird to my actual employer if I sneak off for an extended phonecall on my second day at work.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Esposito posted:

Can you say something other than 'Frequently met monthly sales targets,' which just makes me focus on the fact that there were times you didn't meet them, like 'Frequently exceeded monthly sales targets'?

Thanks, fixed here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_cmfqGXkblVZnlvRXBzMTdTb2c/view?usp=sharing

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

It's a smaller issue, but there shouldn't be a comma after frequently.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Instead of saying "Responsible for managing.....", it should be Managed. Lead with an action verb. Same with "Oversaw the sale of....". It should be "Sold...."

Also, like Esposito was saying, "frequently exceeded....." sounds a lot like "frequently didn't meet sales quotas". If your boss gave you a mention, you could list it as "Recognized for exceptional sales 5 times." Concrete numbers are always better than frequently, often, and such.

Tighten up your punctuation also. Either put periods at the end of every sentence/fragment or none. Don't do only half of them. It doesn't matter which way you go, it just has to be consistent throughout the document. Also, what's up with logo(s). Did you do more than one or not, or do you not know what the plural of logo is?

Your technical skills sections sucks. Of course you're proficient in English. Your resume should show that. Put an action verb in front of your android device. Did you program in that language, or do you just own one? I can't tell from your resume. Instead of "Latest PC hardware and building from scratch", put down what exactly you built. It'll have more impact if you put "Built 3 custom desktops using 64-bit Intel chipsets and incorporated them onto our network" (or whatever) rather than your current generic statement.

Also, with your mention of Photoshop. It'd have more impact if you showed your expertise rather than told. For example, rather than listing "Designed printed flyers and coupons", you could say "Created 5 full-page advertising flyers and 12 coupons using Adobe Photoshop CS5"

Sorry for being a bit harsh, but I mean well. Honest.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dik Hz posted:

Your technical skills sections sucks. Of course you're proficient in English. Your resume should show that. Put an action verb in front of your android device. Did you program in that language, or do you just own one? I can't tell from your resume. Instead of "Latest PC hardware and building from scratch", put down what exactly you built. It'll have more impact if you put "Built 3 custom desktops using 64-bit Intel chipsets and incorporated them onto our network" (or whatever) rather than your current generic statement.

Also, with your mention of Photoshop. It'd have more impact if you showed your expertise rather than told. For example, rather than listing "Designed printed flyers and coupons", you could say "Created 5 full-page advertising flyers and 12 coupons using Adobe Photoshop CS5"

Sorry for being a bit harsh, but I mean well. Honest.

Alright, going to fix the listed items soon. TBH, for technical skills, apart from Photoshop, I'm not sure what to list there :v:

Mostly I did whatever was needed for the business to work anything from writing emails to trying to figure out how to use the required booking software/site for appts.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Is it normal for a place to ask you for your information including SSN for a possible background check before they've made a hiring decision? I just got done with my interview and was sent the request for information and they want it by tomorrow afternoon, but can't they just ask me for the information when they decide? They said they would decide by Thursday. This is for a university if it matters.

Inept fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 29, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Inept posted:

Is it normal for a place to ask you for your information including SSN for a possible background check before they've made a hiring decision? I just got done with my interview and was sent the request for information and they want it by tomorrow afternoon, but can't they just ask me for the information when they decide? They said they would decide by Thursday. This is for a university if it matters.
Yep, this is standard operating procedure for a background check; some places will do it before making an offer, and others will extend a contingent offer first. On the good side, spending the money on a background check usually means they're ready to move ahead with you unless something in the check doesn't really line up right.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So uh, don't fit into my suit (last time I wore it was 3 years ago); will nice khakis & navy blazer (nice shirt & tie obviously) suffice for an in-person interview?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

GobiasIndustries posted:

So uh, don't fit into my suit (last time I wore it was 3 years ago); will nice khakis & navy blazer (nice shirt & tie obviously) suffice for an in-person interview?

I have never worn an actual suit to an interview, the nicest I've looked has been with a similar outfit to what you've described, and I've never been offered a job when I wore that outfit to an interview. Obviously this will depend on your career level and the job in question, but if the best you can do is "formal" in lieu of "very formal" then I wouldn't psych yourself out over it.