Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

lmao that's just a lazy texture mod of the Arkham Knight model isn't it? It still has dumb combat trousers even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...
Better yet what is on the right? Is that Batman letting himself go or what? Looks like he had a few too many Batcakes.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah holy poo poo that is terrible, it looks nothing like Terry's suit.

Hunky Joe posted:

Better yet what is on the right? Is that Batman letting himself go or what? Looks like he had a few too many Batcakes.
Dark Knight Returns Batman, whose an old man that was out of the superheroing biz for a few decades.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Captain Lavender posted:

It's like Skyrim. The most iconic piece of armor is out-moded by the time you hit the first anvil.

Conversely as you get higher skilled you can max out protection with lower level armor. Later on you can run around in junk gear and enjoy the defense cap.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Here's a tiny thing dragging Arkham Knight down for me: I haven't had much time to play yet, so I haven't progressed the plot much at all. When I jump on and have ten minutes to mess around generally I want to find a few groups of thugs to Batman up and maybe stumble my way into a Riddler trophy along the way. In Knight, at least at the beginning, it seems like there are WAY fewer groups of random mooks on the street than there were in City so sometimes five minutes of that ten minute stretch will be spent driving or flying around.

Of course even basic traveling is pretty fun when you're the god drat Batman.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

death .cab for qt posted:

The little thing dragging down Arkham Knight for me is the Batman Beyond DLC suit. BB was one of my favorite shows as a kid/tween, and it looks much less like a sleek batsuit used for acrobatics and more like a Razer-sponsored batsuit powered by Nvidia :smith:

Reposting for new page and because I'm at home and can properly imgify this for people who didn't click it.

Seriously, look at that poo poo.

The Batman on the right is a DLC suit for Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns" Batman, who has always been a thick sunnuvabitch

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm impressed that they made the batman beyond skin worse than in Arkham City

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

I'm impressed that they made the batman beyond skin worse than in Arkham City

You are impressed they hosed up perfection? The AC suit was perfect except that Bruce Wayne isn't a scrawny 17 year old boy wearing it in game.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Batman clipped through a tree during a cutscene and then got stuck in it and I had to restart :(

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
The worst thing about the Batman Beyond skin in Arkham Knight is actually the cape. It has no cape when you're running around, then when you need to glide somewhere a tiny little cape will shoot out of a weird cape-box thing on his back. It looks completely ridiculous.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Ryoshi posted:

Here's a tiny thing dragging Arkham Knight down for me: I haven't had much time to play yet, so I haven't progressed the plot much at all. When I jump on and have ten minutes to mess around generally I want to find a few groups of thugs to Batman up and maybe stumble my way into a Riddler trophy along the way. In Knight, at least at the beginning, it seems like there are WAY fewer groups of random mooks on the street than there were in City so sometimes five minutes of that ten minute stretch will be spent driving or flying around.

Of course even basic traveling is pretty fun when you're the god drat Batman.

Every time I find a decent sized group of thugs to fight a tank shows up and blows me the gently caress up.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Apotheon's a good game, but the wolves in Artemis' forest turn that whole area into a gigantic slog. They've got numerous spawn points, they respawn really fast, they're hard to hit because they move so fast, and they don't de-aggro easily because they catch up to you so quickly. It's impossible to get anything done in that zone because there's always at least 3 wolves at your heels at any given time. There's also a wide variety of prey animals, birds, other hunters, satyrs, dryads, and just assorted other poo poo that will either gently caress up your auto-aim or block your shots.

It's such a shame because it has one of the best boss fights in a game full of really good boss fights, but everything leading up to it is frustrating as all hell.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
28 Days of dailies and all I got was $500,000 to reward my efforts.

gently caress you, Rockstar.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The thing dragging Batman down for me is that buying WB games on launch day is for chumps but on the other hand I really want to play it.

The level restrictions on gear in The Witcher 3 are a pain in the rear end. If you don't want a character wearing an item until level 20 then make it so it's really hard to get that item until you hit level 20. This is especially bad with the Witcher school gear, which seems to be the best stuff in the game seeing how it easily outshines legendary heirlooms passed down through generations of viking kings.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

death .cab for qt posted:

Seriously, look at that poo poo.

Are those laser nips??

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The laser nipples are a low yield close-range tactical option, but the laser crotch can be used for taking down multiple opponents at a distance, with pinpoint accuracy.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

batman is just a fan of No More Heroes

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The Batman Beyond outfit in Arkham City was loving cool, though.

e: Not as cool as the blue-and-gray TV Batman outfit, but hey.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
WB just officially took down Arkham Knight on Steam so congrats to mind the walrus and everyone else complaining about the game for being objectively correct and ultimately vindicated.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sleeveless posted:

WB just officially took down Arkham Knight on Steam so congrats to mind the walrus and everyone else complaining about the game for being objectively correct and ultimately vindicated.

They're actually doing that because the PC port was so cataclysmically bad that these two PYF threads are the only places I've seen anyone say anything else about it, whatsoever.

And they were using it to sell Nvidia cards, so that's doubly bad.

EDIT: I'm not sure exactly how bad it was, but it had to be like, Saint's Row 2-level exceptional for this sort of backlash.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

they tested for exactly one hardware spec. if your computer was any different from that spec, it ran like complete poo poo regardless of if it was higher or lower

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Cleretic posted:

EDIT: I'm not sure exactly how bad it was, but it had to be like, Saint's Row 2-level exceptional for this sort of backlash.

Various reports claim single-digit framerates when using the Batmobile or even just flying around the city on higher-class (ie: i7/GTX980) builds, extremely low-resolution textures even when texture quality is set to max, and various effects and shaders present in the PS4 version not being present in the PC version at all.

The game is choking on systems that are running Titan GPUs; this is an absolutely horrid port.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah even the game itself aside, it is possibly up there as one of the worst PC ports ever and the fact that its apparently a good game (and one of the most anticipated of the year) really rubs salt in that wound.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Alouicious posted:

they tested for exactly one hardware spec. if your computer was any different from that spec, it ran like complete poo poo regardless of if it was higher or lower

Inco posted:

Various reports claim single-digit framerates when using the Batmobile or even just flying around the city on higher-class (ie: i7/GTX980) builds, extremely low-resolution textures even when texture quality is set to max, and various effects and shaders present in the PS4 version not being present in the PC version at all.

The game is choking on systems that are running Titan GPUs; this is an absolutely horrid port.

Wow, so somehow they made the same mistake as the SR2 port did, and actually came out worse from it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The company that handled the PC port was, surprise surprise, the same company that bungled the PC version of Arkham Origins so badly that I think it was mostly fixed by video card companies making tweaks in their driver updates.

It was still a shitshow with single-FPS gliding around certain locations, especially when fast traveling or loading in a new zone.

The best thing that studio managed to pull out of that entire game was the Mr. Freeze DLC, which consisted of

• The Mr. Freeze origins story ripped directly from a Batman: The Animated Series episode. Down to where Freeze worked, who we worked with, that Ferris Boyle was actually evil, etc.
  • Adding in "Freezing Vapor" (poison gas that kills you) and ice walls that exist only to gate you off of the second half of the DLC until you get the "Thermal Suit"
  • The Thermal Suit, which looked baller as hell but legitimately only exists as a metroidvania item to arbitrarily block off all the collectibles and other locations
  • Shrinking the gameplay area to two tiny areas from the south island of Gotham
  • Four arbitrary collectibles which gave you mild upgrades to your Thermal Suit, but consist of hunting for more Anarky tags and freeing 20 people frozen in ice. Tedious work.
  • The most annoying enemy to ever exist in the game, the CryoGun Goons. Who often show up in pairs, meaning you're juggling between two goons with guns that freeze you in place at a moment's notice while other goons try to attack you. They're annoying as hell.
  • A complete rehash of the Mister Freeze fight, only it sucks now because he doesn't "learn" from you attempting takedowns, so you can use as many wall/vent takedowns and icicle takedowns as you want.
  • This comes after a dumb "destroy three cryogenerators" fight that just consists of knocking out four goons, waiting for Freeze to look away from you, then sloooowly destroying a generator.

The whole thing is just a mishmash of good intentions marred by so many little things that drag it down, and reusing other ideas without doing anything to improve them, just sorta differentiate without polishing the ideas up.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.
That batman rant was entertaining. I don't really care if he's right or wrong or a nerd or making good or bad points, it was fun to fuckin read that meltdown and I wish more people would meltdown like that about games and bitch about them lol.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Sleeveless posted:

Agreed. Congratulations to the smart people who pre-ordered a broken port.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

:shrug: I didn't preorder it and it runs perfectly fine (well, 30fps, but a solid 30fps) on my mid-high end rig. I feel kind of like I won the lottery.

Hopefully it gets sorted out soon though because that blows for everyone else.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

swamp waste posted:

You're constantly in video game threads saying really obvious poo poo in a long-winded, spazzy yet condescending way. I think more than one person has noticed this.

Get a girlfriend, walrus, you loving doofus

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature

Sardonik posted:

It was all downhill after Asylum. Turning the game full-on open world just made it kind of a clusterfuck.

This was from the last page, but I couldn't agree more. Asylum was great, so I highly anticipated City. It was fine for the most part, sometimes even fun, and they actually added variety with the bossfights. Still, by the end of it, the novelty had worn off and I got so sick of the game I never even bothered picking up Origins or Knight. A year or two after release I figured "Hey, maybe I just played too much of it at once, and now that time has passed I can enjoy the game as much as I had hoped." Played it for another five minutes, got sick of it again, never looked back.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Is there anything you can articulate about why? I've definitely felt the same about some games - hell, I got about three hours into City and didn't pick it up again for over a year - but it's always a nebulous, hard to describe kind of thing.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

3,000 words minimum.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

City was really good and if you don't enjoy perching on rooftops and swooping down to beat up random poors for loitering then you and I enjoy video games for very different reasons.

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature

Ryoshi posted:

Is there anything you can articulate about why? I've definitely felt the same about some games - hell, I got about three hours into City and didn't pick it up again for over a year - but it's always a nebulous, hard to describe kind of thing.

I think the main reason was just the size of the game. Asylum is comparatively smaller than City. Even if you didn't get distracted by random poo poo along the way traveling from one objective to the other probably takes roughly half the amount of time in Asylum than City. A quick Google search says City had an extra 200 Riddler trophies from its predecessor on a map 5 times as big. That's not even including New Game Plus, or the extra challenges, or the DLC.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

City was really good and if you don't enjoy perching on rooftops and swooping down to beat up random poors for loitering then you and I enjoy video games for very different reasons.

Maybe for the first twenty hours or so. Once you've bashed in the skull of one vagrant you've bashed them all.

Phlegmish posted:

3,000 words minimum.

Please wait for the sequel to this post which will contain an extra 20,000 words on a forum 3 times bigger than this

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Something dragging the Witcher 3 down is that you can't jump in combat. Fall in a puddle and you are hosed.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Swedish Horror posted:

Something dragging the Witcher 3 down is that you can't jump in combat. Fall in a puddle and you are hosed.

I think you can manually put away your sword to get your non-combat controls back. Could be wrong though

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Mildly Amusing posted:

I think the main reason was just the size of the game. Asylum is comparatively smaller than City. Even if you didn't get distracted by random poo poo along the way traveling from one objective to the other probably takes roughly half the amount of time in Asylum than City. A quick Google search says City had an extra 200 Riddler trophies from its predecessor on a map 5 times as big. That's not even including New Game Plus, or the extra challenges, or the DLC.

Maybe for the first twenty hours or so. Once you've bashed in the skull of one vagrant you've bashed them all.

Please wait for the sequel to this post which will contain an extra 20,000 words on a forum 3 times bigger than this

Not 200 more riddler trophies, no. Just Riddler Challenges.

In Asylum, you had the trophies, the riddles, the Joker Teeth, the riddler maps, the perspective riddles with the question marks, the interview tapes, and the chronicles of Arkham. You don't directly interact with the Riddler, you just find a list of collectibles that ultimately leads to you typing numbers into your bat computer wristband and leading SWAT to bust in his front door.

In City, you had the trophies, the riddles, the perspective riddles, the breakable objects (Joker Teeth, but unique to indoor locations/setpiece areas), TYGER cameras, and the physical challenges. There were more of each because City had a bigger map, with lots of indoor areas to explore. There were an extra 200 challenges, sure, but they weren't just tedious trophy collecting. They just added in a few more breakable objects, more riddles, more trophies with more complex puzzles to solve, and more actual interaction with the Riddler and the people he's trying to hurt, leading up to you directly capturing The Riddler yourself.

If you view it just as the number, it seems like way too many challenges, but when you play the game the actual number of things to do is nowhere near that bad, just collect what you can as you play through the game and come back for the really egregious stuff later. You'll get hella burnt out if you do literally no challenges until the end of the game, but doing the trophies that you can, as you discover them, just leaves you with a tidy amount of post-game content to collect while the post-game quests pop up.

Also, there's 400 challenges for Batman, 40 for Catwoman, and about 250 in Asylum. The limit to finish the Riddler's quest is 400, not including Catwoman's stuff, so the game actually gives you a bunch of easy challenges to do as her to pad out your numbers and make it even easier to beat it.

That all being said, I did have the same problem with City when I first played it. I knew who was in the sidequests of the game and how many there were, and just seeing the big number of 400 challenges left me gobsmacked. Once I actually got into the game, though, it becomes pretty apparent that there are trophies you are meant to get and some you aren't, so you can just pick up the easy ones and leave the complex ones which require extra gadgets for later. I probably spent an hour, total, picking up the trophies I needed to take down the Riddler, which was actually about as much time as it took me to finish up the trophies/riddles/etc. I missed from Asylum.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I think you can manually put away your sword to get your non-combat controls back. Could be wrong though

You can't, annoyingly. I'm had to reload more than once because Geralt suddenly lacks basic mobility when in combat.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I definitely agree with some of the "scope" issues with Arkham Knight, not that it's bad but I find the amount of side things to do does kind of detract from the main story if you don't just speed right through it. Some of the sidequests are quite involved too, like the firefighter rescue one has you saving what looks like 12-15 people all around the city doing the exact same thing every time (at least so far?) so it becomes kind of taxing after awhile. I'm on like 5th step of the serial killer questline and all I've done so far is deep scan dead bodies. There's still like another 7 or 8 steps left to go. It's not too bad if you just mix it in with the regular gameplay but I can totally see where it starts to become too much.

That being said I still think think AK is a great game and very nice to look at on the PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I get that it's as much a personal choice as it is any actual objective design stuff but after three open-world Batman games it would be cool if they did another Metroidvania one. It would probably be a lot more feasible to be the game they offload onto their B-team like they did with Arkham Origins since the smaller scope would probably be easier to work with.