Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
The way Doc Scratch treated the Handmaid makes so much more sense now that we know LE is made in part from Equius. It's also even creepier. Ewwwwwwwww.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I took it as Tavrosprite being the same ghost Tavros that was previously part of the Tavros + Vriska abomination and went on the treasure hunt, since the dreambubbles are a separate thing and the sprite just pulled the necessary soul associated with the corpse (which was the same since Tavros died pre-retcon).

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Blackheart posted:

I took it as Tavrosprite being the same ghost Tavros that was previously part of the Tavros + Vriska abomination and went on the treasure hunt, since the dreambubbles are a separate thing and the sprite just pulled the necessary soul associated with the corpse (which was the same since Tavros died pre-retcon).

The timeline changed at the earliest point at which John entered it, which I believe was during Terezi's introduction pages. So this would be a separate Tavros, I should think.

This actually brings up something else that's had me curious; in one of Karkat's later conversations with John pre-Cascade, Karkat mentions having dealt with Gamzee (and we see smatterings of purple blood on him) and hints at, but does not explicitly say, Vriska having died. This conversation would presumably have occurred after John showed up and punched Vriska out, averting her death, and Terezi had already tied up Gamzee, so this conversation ought to have been fundamentally altered. I suppose it's of little consequence, as he still would have given John the same instructions, and the John on the other side of that conversation is now quite dead, but I'm still curious.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Totally thought they were gonna smooch.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

The timeline changed at the earliest point at which John entered it, which I believe was during Terezi's introduction pages. So this would be a separate Tavros, I should think.

This actually brings up something else that's had me curious; in one of Karkat's later conversations with John pre-Cascade, Karkat mentions having dealt with Gamzee (and we see smatterings of purple blood on him) and hints at, but does not explicitly say, Vriska having died. This conversation would presumably have occurred after John showed up and punched Vriska out, averting her death, and Terezi had already tied up Gamzee, so this conversation ought to have been fundamentally altered. I suppose it's of little consequence, as he still would have given John the same instructions, and the John on the other side of that conversation is now quite dead, but I'm still curious.

presumably karkat was unable to use vriska's computer, on account of her still being alive. or maybe he did anyway and yelled incoherently at john about who do you think you are popping out of nowhere to punch people without so much as a how-do-you-loving-do. to which john was probably like lolwut.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Leaving Calliope alone, with the ring, in the last place we saw Aranea, is probably a bad idea!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

Totally thought they were gonna smooch.

It's still kind of ambiguous with that cutaway!

Gay singularity

(How would Calliope smooch with no lips)

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I think 'ambiguous cutaway kiss' might be reaching, but knowing Hussie, I'll have to eat those words.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Tenebrais posted:

It's still kind of ambiguous with that cutaway!

Gay singularity

(How would Calliope smooch with no lips)

Thinking about it, though, Calliope probably wouldn't appreciate being subject to such a filthy, deviant, degrading act (she IS a cherub after all).

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
tasteful cutaway to prevent impressionable young cherubs from seeing the exchange of a firm handshake and sincere nod

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Also:

Same, Rose. Same.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Was that... a discretion shot?

Oh my *pops monocle*

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
God drat John and Terezi stop hateflirting right in front of poor Rose when she's trying to tell you how much she hates the cat version of herself. That's just loving rude.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

paranoid randroid posted:

tasteful cutaway to prevent impressionable young cherubs from seeing the exchange of a firm handshake and sincere nod

:golfclap: Well done. My reading of the cherubs' backstories is that reproductive-style cherub affection (A) doesn't exist but (B) would pretty much have to be cherub-cherub. It seems likelier to me that Calliope and Roxy had another best-friends-forever hug, and as far as the troll quadrants apply -- and Dave has pointed out that quadrants are irrelevant in our new post-Green-Sun era -- they're moirails.

The previous sentence is marked off five points for run-ons.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Slime posted:

God drat John and Terezi stop hateflirting right in front of poor Rose when she's trying to tell you how much she hates the cat version of herself. That's just loving rude.

Watch it become Rose o8< Terezi/John.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

roxyisanaffectionategirl.png

Okay Dave and Dirk let's work the poo poo out already.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh no, the mayor's gonna eat calliope

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

WAR FOOT posted:

Leaving Calliope alone, with the ring, in the last place we saw Aranea, is probably a bad idea!

No it's a good idea because it means Aranea can gank the ring and pop back to life.

Tollymain posted:

Please leave your weird fetishes back at Tumblr.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
That was nice of Roxy to gently caress off with Calliope so she can make things boring elsewhere.

But the Mayor? Not cool, Roxy.
If it weren't for Vriska, Dirk, Jake, and Tavros, you might slip dangerously close to being a terrible character.

Luckily, those chumps are like the goddamn Olympic gold medalists of poo poo.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Tollymain posted:

The mayor's going to love Calliope.

So, about the Mayor. What's up with his relationship with the kids? I assume that he and all the other chess people understand all languages but only speak their own. He certainly hasn't attempted communication with any humans thus far. Then again, he can also read and write the english alphabet, and the kids know this because he has clearly altered his sash to change one word into another.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Classtoise posted:

That was nice of Roxy to gently caress off with Calliope so she can make things boring elsewhere.

If it weren't for Vriska, Dirk, Jake, and Tavros, you might slip dangerously close to being a terrible character.

actually the opposite reading is correct

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ariong posted:

The mayor's going to love Calliope.

So, about the Mayor. What's up with his relationship with the kids? I assume that he and all the other chess people understand all languages but only speak their own. He certainly hasn't attempted communication with any humans thus far. Then again, he can also read and write the english alphabet, and the kids know this because he has clearly altered his sash to change one word into another.

Dude, miracles duh.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
get this - all the characters are actually good

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Classtoise posted:

Please don't write these patently wrong things

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ariong posted:

So, about the Mayor. What's up with his relationship with the kids? I assume that he and all the other chess people understand all languages but only speak their own. He certainly hasn't attempted communication with any humans thus far.

This is attempted communication with a human.

Also he has clearly talked to the other characters on the meteor, just not on-panel.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I wonder what he talks about? It's so hard to imagine him holding up a dialogue. Does he tell jokes? Did he ever tell them about PM or Noir?

It's weird whenever I'm reminded that the Mayor was once his own character and did things rather than being the cute mascot character for the Meteor crew.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Akett posted:

Union Jack isn't a vessel for LE, first off UJ is just being puppeteer-ed by Caliborn, second off LE doesn't need him to get anywhere ever. LE entered the human and troll universes after them being mashed together in the green sun, then had free run in them. A genesis frog contains all timelines of the universe it embodies, and that includes pre and post scratch iterations of the universe. As for if he needs to get into a session, he can just waltz in to one at any time, there's no real barrier to entry from the furthest ring.

He is a vessel, though. The soul of Caliborn, plus those of half-Gamzee and Arquius, were trapped in Li'l Cal, whose eyes are now jabbed in Jack's sockets. The same Cal used to possess Jack was the also one used to create Doc Scratch. Arguably, then, both Lord English in the Furthest Ring and Union Jack just outside this session are animated by the same principle, which is to say, the combined magical souls of the same bunch of rowdy assholes.

Also, LE's introductory flash made it pretty clear he only entered and affected the progress of the Trolls' universe -- the Condesce was sent to earth to pave the way for him but she went rogue specifically because he couldn't get there personally, for whatever reason. Compare that to the Handmaid, who worked in concert with him throughout Alternia's history.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Dolash posted:

It's weird whenever I'm reminded that the Mayor was once his own character and did things rather than being the cute mascot character for the Meteor crew.

I'm pretty sure this is a play on his relationship with the fans.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Dolash posted:

I wonder what he talks about? It's so hard to imagine him holding up a dialogue. Does he tell jokes? Did he ever tell them about PM or Noir?

I think they just have incompatible dialogue styles. The Kids all use script-style chatlogs and dialoguelogs, while carapace dudes all use second-person speech like in Problem Sleuth. The Mayor could probably speak if he stole back the narrative focus, but I don't know if the kids could respond.
Also I don't know where the Gift of Gab fits into this. I have overthought this.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

YggiDee posted:

The Mayor could probably speak if he stole back the narrative focus

So what you're saying is WV's gonna wrestle away control of the story from Caliborn...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dave has said (sorry, too zonked to look it up) that the Mayor doesn't speak but makes himself very clear with gestures. We've also seen the Mayor playing cards and writing down messages on a slate.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Cat Mattress posted:

This is attempted communication with a human.

Also he has clearly talked to the other characters on the meteor, just not on-panel.

First thing, I meant face-to-face. I said that he could write in english.

Second, eeally? How do you get that vibe? Because the kids have given no indication that they know anything about him other than that his sash says mayor on it and he's friendly. If he could speak to them, surely he would have talked about himself somewhat. Not about his life as a farmer turned rebellion leader, but maybe about his apocalypse crew.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Aha! Calliope has explicitly said she can't have red feelings.

UU: trUst me, that is not how i feel aboUt yoU. or anyone.
UU: thoUgh i trUly wish i were capable of those feelings.
UU: perhaps the fact that i am not is why the topic fascinates me so.
UU: and why i have been prone do indUlge in sUch...
UU: fancifUl visUalizations.
UU: of yoUr people's lovely bright red relationships.
UU: they mUst be nice. u_u

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006991

Not my catch.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Just like humans can't have black relationships, and yet John is wrestling with feelings he doesn't quite understand. A human raised in a troll society would probably be spadesing all over the place, and Calliope was basically raised by humans, so...

That said, I don't think Calliope is going to get into any relationships over the course of the comic.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Ariong posted:

That said, I don't think Calliope is going to get into any relationships over the course of the comic.

It's kind of funny how hard Tumblr doesn't want this to be true.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
yeah well tumblr wants a lot of stuff

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

paranoid randroid posted:

yeah well tumblr wants a lot of stuff

A bright Flash, comfortable cosplays, and a warm place to ♥ ♠ ♣ ⋄ .

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Tumblr, being a website with multiple users, most likely wants a variety of things. Perhaps every pairing contained within the entire labrynthine shippingcube diametric has an enthusiast within.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

He is a vessel, though. The soul of Caliborn, plus those of half-Gamzee and Arquius, were trapped in Li'l Cal, whose eyes are now jabbed in Jack's sockets. The same Cal used to possess Jack was the also one used to create Doc Scratch. Arguably, then, both Lord English in the Furthest Ring and Union Jack just outside this session are animated by the same principle, which is to say, the combined magical souls of the same bunch of rowdy assholes.

Also, LE's introductory flash made it pretty clear he only entered and affected the progress of the Trolls' universe -- the Condesce was sent to earth to pave the way for him but she went rogue specifically because he couldn't get there personally, for whatever reason. Compare that to the Handmaid, who worked in concert with him throughout Alternia's history.

That's a really good point, I forgot that it's Cal's eyes in Jack's head. I was operating on the assumption that it was entirely Caliborn in control of Jack. Honestly that fixes some of the weirdness around things, like if Caliborn was piloting Jack directly the retJohn would have split Caliborn's timeline at the point where Jack entered the fight because in the Game Over timeline Jack would have shown up to a fight already over and in the current timeline Caliborn would have participated in the fight. Having it just be the LE gestalt soul in control of Jack means that there can be dozens of timeline splits in the upcoming section without flooding the dreambubbles with dead Caliborns. I was honestly expecting that Union Jack could only arrive to the fight in the true timeline that leads to Caliborn becoming LE.

As for him only entering the troll universe, I looked it up and his introductory flash shows Scratch's tower floating around in the green sun before LE emerges. Either that flash is the point where he enters the troll universe, in which case he also has unrestricted access to the human universe and yet never employes it, or he has to get into the troll universe via some other method we haven't yet seen and part of the real victory is preventing him from using that method on the human universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A bright Flash, comfortable cosplays, and a warm place to ♥ ♠ ♣ ⋄ .

Oh sure just dismiss the wide spectrum that Lucky Charms represent. Typical close-minded shitlords.