Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Mr. Wookums posted:

I'm pretty sure there's no trolling in this thread. Please stop.

:911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DismemberedLemon
Jun 20, 2015
Can someone teach me how to vegetable? I don't think I've eaten any vegetables past potatoes and sometimes peas in 10+ years. I've never enjoyed real food much because my mother didn't know how to cook. I've started cooking for myself recently, and I am eating more real foods, but I have no idea how to make vegetables appetizing.

I'm losing weight currently by counting calories, but I want to attempt to at least eat a little healthier while I'm at it.

Oh, and also, how do I make beans good? I like pintos but I've tried to figure out black beans and great northerns and couldn't make them good.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

DismemberedLemon posted:

Can someone teach me how to vegetable? I don't think I've eaten any vegetables past potatoes and sometimes peas in 10+ years. I've never enjoyed real food much because my mother didn't know how to cook. I've started cooking for myself recently, and I am eating more real foods, but I have no idea how to make vegetables appetizing.

I'm losing weight currently by counting calories, but I want to attempt to at least eat a little healthier while I'm at it.

Oh, and also, how do I make beans good? I like pintos but I've tried to figure out black beans and great northerns and couldn't make them good.

Hmm. This is hard because it's such a big topic! What do you NOT like about vegetables? Taste? Texture? Too bland? Too bitter?

One mistake a lot of people make is overcooking vegetables so they're mush. I personally like most vegetables steamed lightly with good olive oil, salt, pepper, and sometimes some vinegar or hot peppers mixed in.

What have you tried so far? Have you made anything you didn't like or did like? Let me know and we can go from there!

DismemberedLemon
Jun 20, 2015
I don't really know, I just know that when I've tasted them I've hated them :shrug:

I guess it's mostly the texture and the bitter taste. I pretty much only eat meat and grains right now so it's way way different.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

DismemberedLemon posted:

I don't really know, I just know that when I've tasted them I've hated them :shrug:

I guess it's mostly the texture and the bitter taste. I pretty much only eat meat and grains right now so it's way way different.

Let's start with something simple and easy. Salad. First, go to the store and buy one of the following lettuces:
Boston
Butter
Batavian
These are very mild and tender lettuces. You want a head, but a very loose head. If your supermarket has boxes of "baby" versions of any of these, so much the better for a starter salad.

Bring your lettuce home. If you have a head, cut off the bottom, chop or tear the leaves so they're about half the size of the palm of your hand. Wash it thoroughly in cold water, dry it thoroughly, ideally in a salad spinner if you have one or a colander with some shaking if you don't.

Now for the training wheels. I like my salad with just a couple of add-ins and a very small amount of dressing, but if you're new to salads, there's no shame in overtopping/overdressing your salad. Over time, you'll come to appreciate arugula dressed in nothing but a coddled egg yolk, salt and sherry vinegar.

Here are things you can put on salad (chop to around 1 inch or smaller):

Nuts
Fresh Fruit
Dried Fruit
Cheeses
Meat (go for cuts that are tender and palatable when cold -- chicken, beef, shrimp, salmon, tofu)
Eggs (hard boiled, usually)
Cooked and cooled grains (I just had farro in my salad yesterday)
Avocado (a personal favorite)
Croutons
Pita chips
French fried onions
Bacon

Dressings can be purchased or made at home. Again, at first you may want to lean on the more processed dressings, as they're exactly made for people who don't like vegetables, but dressings are incredibly easy to make at home.

DismemberedLemon
Jun 20, 2015

Okay, thanks. I'll go to the store after work and look around to see what I can get. Then off the gym and I'll make a salad afterwards.

Will report back in on whether or not I could eat it haha.

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

Could someone provide me with a good recipe for meatballs please? I've found a couple online but I'm only cooking for myself and my wife and the recipes I've looked at are for a hell of a lot more people than that. I could make make a larger batch if suitable for freezing though?

Any advice would be very appreciated.

DismemberedLemon
Jun 20, 2015

Francois_Dillinger posted:

Could someone provide me with a good recipe for meatballs please? I've found a couple online but I'm only cooking for myself and my wife and the recipes I've looked at are for a hell of a lot more people than that. I could make make a larger batch if suitable for freezing though?

Any advice would be very appreciated.

just cut the recipe in 1/4, friend.

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

i dont think salad is great place to start if youre not into veggies and the like. that would really be jumping in the deep end.
i reckon youre best off taking baby steps. try adding a few veggies to your steak dinner for starters. pumpkin, corn, or carrot is more sweet than bitter. green beans are a more savoury, but dont have a bad texture to them. perhaps avoid broccoli or cauliflower initially... maybe just grab a bag of frozen mixed veggies? heat them for a few minutes in boiling water, toss them with some butter, salt & pepper and give em a go.

you like veggies in soup? like pea and ham, or minestrone or whatnot?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Test Pattern posted:

Let's start with something simple and easy. Salad. First, go to the store and buy one of the following lettuces:
Boston
Butter
Batavian
These are very mild and tender lettuces. You want a head, but a very loose head. If your supermarket has boxes of "baby" versions of any of these, so much the better for a starter salad.

Bring your lettuce home. If you have a head, cut off the bottom, chop or tear the leaves so they're about half the size of the palm of your hand. Wash it thoroughly in cold water, dry it thoroughly, ideally in a salad spinner if you have one or a colander with some shaking if you don't.

Now for the training wheels. I like my salad with just a couple of add-ins and a very small amount of dressing, but if you're new to salads, there's no shame in overtopping/overdressing your salad. Over time, you'll come to appreciate arugula dressed in nothing but a coddled egg yolk, salt and sherry vinegar.

Here are things you can put on salad (chop to around 1 inch or smaller):

Nuts
Fresh Fruit
Dried Fruit
Cheeses
Meat (go for cuts that are tender and palatable when cold -- chicken, beef, shrimp, salmon, tofu)
Eggs (hard boiled, usually)
Cooked and cooled grains (I just had farro in my salad yesterday)
Avocado (a personal favorite)
Croutons
Pita chips
French fried onions
Bacon

Dressings can be purchased or made at home. Again, at first you may want to lean on the more processed dressings, as they're exactly made for people who don't like vegetables, but dressings are incredibly easy to make at home.

And our lord Kenji did say "simple salads are pretty good guys"

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/10/how-to-make-simple-salad-worth-eating-vinaigrette.html

This is a really drat good vinaigrette

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

DismemberedLemon posted:

just cut the recipe in 1/4, friend.

Well yeah, it's just that the measurements get hosed up if you're scaling down too much and sometimes recipes don't scale down well at all, I find anyway.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

DismemberedLemon posted:

I guess you could try to think about what flavours in food you do like and go from there. Vegetables can take on a wide range of textures and flavours depending on how you prepare them. It can take your palate a little while to get used to new flavours, so don't overly focus on what you don't like about them at the first bite but try to find something in there that has some potential. Take that knowledge to make it better for you the next time. Sometimes you need to find an "in" to start to appreciate a vegetable: you find an exception where it's pretty okay, eat it a few times more and suddenly you start to appreciate it in dishes you didn't like it in before. I think an important part of it is also letting go of the idea that if you didn't like something in application X, you also won't like it in application Y.

Have them as a side dish so if you truly don't like them they don't ruin the whole dinner (causing resentment and abandonment of good intentions) but also finish your portion of veggies like a good boy. Your palate really does adjust after repeated exposure.

Some examples of ways of eating vegetables that can kind of ease you into it:
Do you like pickles or other sweet and sour stuff? Make a quick pickle by mixing some sliced cucumber (and/or carrots, cabbage) with vinegar and a little bit of sugar plus spices and let it sit for a bit.
Boiled cauliflower is often mushy and bitter, but grilled cauliflower florets tossed with oil and curry spices are firm, sweet and have tasty brown crunchy bits. Eat them with bbq sauce if you want, the point is that you find a way to like a vegetable and go from there. Pretend they're chicken wings and toss them in your favourite spices or marinade even.
Zucchini is also often slimy and bitter, but tastes totally mild and slightly sweet when raw. If you're into sushi and the like, it's really tasty with a bit of soy sauce. If this is tolerable, give them a quick stir fry with your favourite sauce. Or grate them, add flour, egg and spices and make savoury pancakes or drop biscuits.
Roast green beans or sugar snaps with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Eat like fries.
Roasted carrots are sweet, roast them with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and a bit of honey and they'll be like candy.
Toss different veggies in tempura and deep fry them.

My boyfriend comes from the same kind of background, his mom boiled everything to death. She even boiled mushrooms. Canned mushrooms. I've been exposing him to lots of different dishes and he's just continually amazed. He wants to start a vegetable garden now :3:

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Here's a good recipe that also includes a sauce you make them in - just add pasta and you're good to go. It says it serves 4, so you've got a good 2nd dinner in there without having a ton of leftovers.

Skillet Spaghetti and Meatballs from Cooks Illustrated posted:

Be sure to simmer the tomatoes gently in step 4 or the sauce will become too thick. The meatballs can be assembled ahead of time and refrigerated for up to 24 hours before cooking; do not cook the meatballs until you are ready to make the sauce.

Ingredients

Meatballs
3 slices high-quality white sandwich bread, torn into quarters
5 tablespoons milk
1/2 pound 85 percent lean ground beef
1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (1 cup)
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
1 large egg
2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

Pasta and Sauce
3 (14.5-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, minced
Salt
6 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 2 tablespoons)
1/4 teaspoon sugar
2 cups water
12 ounces thin spaghetti or spaghettini, broken in half
Ground black pepper
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
Freshly grated parmesan cheese, for serving

Instructions

1. FOR THE MEATBALLS: Adjust oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Mash the bread and milk to a paste in a large bowl. Add the beef, sausage, Parmesan parsley, egg, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper and mix thoroughly to combine. Pinch off 2-tablespoon-sized pieces of meat mixture and roll firmly into balls; you should have 16 meatballs.

2. Heat the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the meatballs and brown well on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the meatballs to a rimmed baking sheet and bake until cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the meatballs from the oven, cover to warm, and set aside.

3. FOR THE SAUCE AND PASTA: Meanwhile, pulse the tomatoes with their juice in a food processor until coarsely ground and no large pieces remain, about 12 pulses.

4. Pour off any fat left in the skillet, add 2 tablespoons of the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet, and heat over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the processed tomatoes and sugar. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes no longer taste raw, about 10 minutes.

5. Stir in the water, then add the pasta. Cover, increase the heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring often and adjusting the heat to maintain a vigorous simmer, until the pasta is tender, 12 to 15 minutes.

6. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add meatballs, coat them with sauce, and let them warm through, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with the basil and serve, passing the Parmesan separately.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Approximately half of all vegetables (all root vegetables, plus things like broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts) taste good if you toss them with olive oil and salt and put them into an oven at ~450 degrees until they are brown and crispy. That is a nice easy way to start eating vegetables.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

EVG posted:

Here's a good recipe that also includes a sauce you make them in - just add pasta and you're good to go. It says it serves 4, so you've got a good 2nd dinner in there without having a ton of leftovers.

That recipe looks good but this jumped out at me:

quote:

2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (1 cup)

2 oz does not equal 1 cup. Which is it?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

DismemberedLemon posted:

Frozen green peas quickly heated and removed from a bit of boiling water and then tossed in a small amount of salted butter can be pretty awesome and palatable for people who dislike vegetables. Also roasted carrots. Even people I know who do not care for veggies much will dive into those.

For beans a super easy thing is to crush up 1-2 cloves of garlic and lightly toast that in a pan with 1/2 tbls of butter. Add in 1/2 tbls of chopped rosemary (or herbs de provence) and toss in the oil then immediately add 1 can of cannelini beans (remove excess liquid first). Just make sure you don't burn the garlic before you add in the beans. Stir, cover and let simmer for 5 mins on low heat until the beans have all started to heat up well. Stir again and serve. This is like the fastest and easiest bean side I use and it goes great as a cheap side dish with a lot of things. I'll often have this with a salad and just some type of previously prepared meat for a lazy dinner.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

Suspect Bucket posted:

Are you using an acid-fix or rennet? If you're doing acid fixed cheese, add the acid SLOWLY, and do not add more until you are sure your milk has come to and gone beyond curdling temperature without reaction. Over-acidifying will destroy the curdle. Stir constantly, Oh, use a good, accurate thermometer, heat slowly. It will be agonizing.

Use only fresh and new cheesecloth.

Reserve the whey, chill in fridge, and enjoy as a delightfully savory and refreshing summer drink full of vitamins and protein.

I'm using rennet but the kit I bought also comes with citric acid. I've only given the instructions a quick once-over so far so I'm not too sure. My dad's a head chef of Orlando's convention center and he said (not that I'm implying he knows everything) that I could just use vinegar if I wanted, although I don't feel comfortable with that.

Definitely plan on using the leftover whey.

Thanks for the tips!

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Approximately half of all vegetables (all root vegetables, plus things like broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts) taste good if you toss them with olive oil and salt and put them into an oven at ~450 degrees until they are brown and crispy. That is a nice easy way to start eating vegetables.

This, or just steam them and all the olive oil + salt and pepper. That's how I prefer them anyway.

Oh, and for ripe avocado the salt + pepper + olive oil combo is excellent. Try it on top of a salad or by itself for a small snack.

DismemberedLemon
Jun 20, 2015
Hmm okay. I already like the small green peas so I'll start eating those more often. I'll try roasting more poo poo in the oven and start adding it into dishes that I normally wouldn't.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This is definitely true. Other good vegetables for roasting include squashes and squash-likes (pumpkin, butternut, yellow squash, patty-pans, zucchini). I think zucchini is getting into season so try and get some local zucchinis from a farmer's market or nice grocery store.

If you have a good blender you can make a vegetable like soup and then blend it up. There's probably lots of recipes for that out in the world, but I've been using ~2-3 tbs of red, hulled lentils per ~quart. I fry up some onion, garlic, and carrots, add lentils and water, cook for 5 minutes, add some kind of green (kale or similar), and cook until the lentils are falling apart. Then blend and season to taste.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
If you have a grill, put veggies on in the last few minutes before your meat is done. Grilled veggies are amazing with just salt and pepper and a bit of oil

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

BraveUlysses posted:

If you have a grill, put veggies on in the last few minutes before your meat is done. Grilled veggies are amazing with just salt and pepper and a bit of oil

This is all true. I've also started using a small cast iron pan on the grill to make roasted potatoes with grilled meat. Usually I just use some oil and salt/pepper. Sometimes I use like basil, oregeno, and other "italian spices."

This is also delicious with brussels sprouts. My gf wouldn't eat them before she learned you could roast them.

edit: imo, roasted veggies is the easiest and best way to dive into veggies. It also tastes really good. Asparagus if it's on sale is a good one too. So are carrots and cauliflower.

Paper With Lines fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 25, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah, when I had a BBQ I would often grill zucchini, bell peppers, yellow squash and eggplant and just have it with lemon cous cous, maybe with some chickpeas or roasted nuts or sunflower or pumpkin seeds.

But beets, broccoli, butternut squash, carrots, parsnips etc need to be roasted for the best flavour.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 25, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You can make some killer dips from roasted vegetables. Cut up some red bell peppers, remove seeds and membranes, pop 'em in the oven skin side up until the skin puffs up and turns black. Remove skin - it should peel right off - and blend with walnuts, olive oil, garlic and some chili and salt. I don't much like raw bell peppers but that stuff never survives for long when I make it.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Turnips are pretty good roasted

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

You can make some killer dips from roasted vegetables. Cut up some red bell peppers, remove seeds and membranes, pop 'em in the oven skin side up until the skin puffs up and turns black. Remove skin - it should peel right off - and blend with walnuts, olive oil, garlic and some chili and salt. I don't much like raw bell peppers but that stuff never survives for long when I make it.

I also grill some onions, tomatoes, and different types of peppers and then blend it up into salsa. The ease to delicious ratio is ridic.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DismemberedLemon posted:

Take any hardy vegetable like brussel sprouts, beets, cauliflower, sweet potato, carrot, parsnip, turnips, doesn't matter. Cut them into about 1 inch pieces, toss in olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Put them on a lined baking sheet into a 450 degree oven for 30-40 min or until crisp on the outside, turning once. There is no way they cannot be delicious.

E: I see someone else beat me to it, but it's still all true.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 25, 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I deep fried some chips tonight following this http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/thebestchipsyouhavee_93121 and while they were nice and brown they weren't crispy. Is that because I overfilled the basket with potato? I didn't think I had all that much in really

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

The Midniter posted:

2 oz does not equal 1 cup. Which is it?

I'd assume it's 2oz of mass, or 1/8th of a lb, and then they're saying that once it's grated and has air in it it will be about a cup in volume.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I let my water kefir grains die like a dumbass, so I bought a bottle with live cultures. Can I just strain out the stuff at the bottom and regrow that in sugar water? They aren't as large as in the kefir I homemade, but it's pretty murky.

Just in case anyone else happens to run into this issue and search this thread, I'm reporting back. I did indeed drink the bottle down to the murk, then saved it - poured the liquid through a muslin teabag, then tossed that in a jar of sugar water and loosely covered. ~15 hours later, it's happily bubbling away and has a bit of that funky smell. Tomorrow, it should be done.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

pile of brown posted:

I'd assume it's 2oz of mass, or 1/8th of a lb, and then they're saying that once it's grated and has air in it it will be about a cup in volume.

Yeah, grated parmesan can be very fluffy.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Jose posted:

I deep fried some chips tonight following this http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/thebestchipsyouhavee_93121 and while they were nice and brown they weren't crispy. Is that because I overfilled the basket with potato? I didn't think I had all that much in really

If they were also a bit oily, then the oil temp might not have been high enough? I have also heard arguments on both sides of the fence re: washing/not washing the chopped potato.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Extremely lazy dinner cleaning out some of the frozen stuff my mom gives me, so I'm making chicken fried rice. Onion, bell pepper, peas, chicken. What should I spice the chicken up with? I have plenty of spices, soy sauce, even some stir fry sauce I may use.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

What is in your stir fry sauce? Is that like sesame oil or something?

DismemberedLemon
Jun 20, 2015
I like to use some toasted sesame oil, some sriracha.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What is best to store in the cabinets above the stove? I've heard the heat can mess food and oils up there.

DismemberedLemon
Jun 20, 2015
prepacked foods like cans and whatnot above mine

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DismemberedLemon posted:

If you're honestly starting from never eating any veggies, I'd say go to the freezer section (I know, I know) and pick up some 10/$10 random steamer bags, make them, try plain, not good? add butter, add salt..etc. Eat them with a steak and a sweet potato/yam. Soon enough you'll be eating fresh asparagus with a little salt and olive oil by the bunch, bowls of broccoli (just pretend you're a dinosaur eating little trees), wilted spinach salad with bacon dressing (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/spinach-salad-with-warm-bacon-dressing-recipe.html) and brussel sprouts made like this: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1890-roasted-brussels-sprouts-with-garlic

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

My fried rice is usually just a poo poo ton of garlic powder, some ginger powder, and soysauce

Maybe that's too simple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Adult Sword Owner posted:

My fried rice is usually just a poo poo ton of garlic powder, some ginger powder, and soysauce

Maybe that's too simple?

I like to add rice wine vinegar, a bit of sugar and some corn starch along with the soy sauce/garlic/ginger.