Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I sit 2' away from 10'x3" rotating rods all day, ain't no big deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cumslut1895 posted:

thank god he escaped that deathtrap

Reversed, it's just a guy catching a train.

Szechuan
Mar 3, 2008

Wacky waving rotatable arm flailing doomed man?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Odd that they'd go that direction instead of directly hooking into the optic nerve.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ursine Asylum posted:

Odd that they'd go that direction instead of directly hooking into the optic nerve.

I imagine the problem is encoding the electrical signals in the way the brain would understand, although I could be mistaken. Converting to some sort of stimulation-based system on the tongue seems comparatively simple.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

PT6A posted:

I imagine the problem is encoding the electrical signals in the way the brain would understand, although I could be mistaken. Converting to some sort of stimulation-based system on the tongue seems comparatively simple.

It's super hard to get nerve tissue to grow on an artificial substrate, much less the optic nerve. Way easier to get your brain to recognize tactile input on the tongue and relearn to interpret it than it is to make something small enough, robust enough, and not-ugly enough to use as a replacement eye. Plus the whole 'carve out your eyes for an experimental treatment' thing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ursine Asylum posted:

Saliva is nice and conductive, and the tongue is a big accessible area for electrodes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tunicate posted:

Saliva is nice and conductive, and the tongue is a big accessible area for electrodes.

"Paranoia" is real!

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?
Depending on the form of blindness, chips have been developed that implant into the retina to return some sight - two different techniques here and here.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

CampingCarl posted:

Possibly posted before but videos of them beaching the ships are crazy too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aaksv3wjec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8wCecMTbRQ

The part where the guy is banging metal tools around liquid oxygen gives me pause. Hope they're bronze or brass tools that won't spark. :stare:

Ever see steel boil? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gg9_zTlg4M

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 27, 2015

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I want one of these lasers! :yayclod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExTLa6bAdFQ&t=449

That guy's whole house must smell like burned plastic/magic smoke.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 27, 2015

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

It's super hard to get nerve tissue to grow on an artificial substrate, much less the optic nerve. Way easier to get your brain to recognize tactile input on the tongue and relearn to interpret it than it is to make something small enough, robust enough, and not-ugly enough to use as a replacement eye. Plus the whole 'carve out your eyes for an experimental treatment' thing.

Would a blind person really miss them though?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I get that it works and it's less invasive, it just feels like a really weird stopgap. Like setting up someone to manipulate their artificial arm's grasp by attaching a wire to their kegel muscles.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

Although you wouldn't believe it, this guy's apparently like a senior engineering manager at EON or something

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Thump! posted:

Would a blind person really miss them though?

If I went totally blind and ended up having my eyes pulled out in a failed attempt to give me sight, I'd just replace the non-working cybernetics with giant googly eyes.

Honestly, if I had cybernetics I'd probably dress them up to look like giant googly eyes anyway.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Three-Phase posted:

From that description, I knew who it would be without seeing it yet. Lots of time at work as been passed watching him fry poo poo.

naem
May 29, 2011

The horror movie VHS 2 on Netflix has a guy with cybernetic eyes but it might put you off the idea

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

chitoryu12 posted:

If I went totally blind and ended up having my eyes pulled out in a failed attempt to give me sight, I'd just replace the non-working cybernetics with giant googly eyes.

Honestly, if I had cybernetics I'd probably dress them up to look like giant googly eyes anyway.

Nah, camera lenses with remote controlled irises and color LEDs in them. That way you can look at someone and narrow them while they glow red.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Idiotproof

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

:gonk:

All the torque equations I learned are rushing through my head right now.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

:gonk:

All the torque equations I learned are rushing through my head right now.

They'll be rushing through someone else's head if they stand on the wrong side of that.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I've been seeing this gif the wrong way every time it's been posted.

He's pushing that off the end of one of those metal truck platforms, not a loading dock. The edge of the ramp looked like a concrete seam to me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
poo poo, you're right. That's how I'd always viewed it, too.

The eye naturally follows the guy flying through the air and you don't noticed the platform moving.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

jetz0r posted:

I've been seeing this gif the wrong way every time it's been posted.

He's pushing that off the end of one of those metal truck platforms, not a loading dock. The edge of the ramp looked like a concrete seam to me.

oh yeah huh, i thought the same thing

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

tediore rockets irl

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Still waiting for a prosthetic arm manufacturer to show it making the most useful of gestures. Extension of just the middle finger is essential for communication.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Budgie posted:

Still waiting for a prosthetic arm manufacturer to show it making the most useful of gestures. Extension of just the middle finger is essential for communication.

I'd be more interested in knowing if I could jerk off with one of those things without ripping my dick off.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Budgie posted:

In one of the other videos of that guy he mentions that yes, he can give the middle finger as a modification of one of the preset gestures

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

The Nards Pan posted:

I'd be more interested in knowing if I could jerk off with one of those things without ripping my dick off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvJ7KWlgCaU

:ohdear:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

chitoryu12 posted:

in fact, forget the cybernetics I'm just gonna stick a bunch of googly eyes on my face and arms right now

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The worst part is that if you're doing everything right, you'll have a second guy check the outriggers when extending or retracting them to make sure they're in the proper place.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

chitoryu12 posted:

The worst part is that if you're doing everything right, you'll have a second guy check the outriggers when extending or retracting them to make sure they're in the proper place.

I'm guessing that didn't happen.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Darth123123 posted:

I'm guessing that didn't happen.

Either that or the second guy just went "gently caress it" and told him it was cool.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

chitoryu12 posted:

Either that or the second guy just went "gently caress it" and told him it was cool.

"Someone left the box of shims back at the shop"
"gently caress it, good enough"

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03YcT74h5Mg

Pleasure riding (horse with cart thing) class goes extremely wrong. Lots of nasty near-misses, and a few bad collisions. I especially like the guy who jumps in front of the horse trying to stop/catch it. (The horse wins - and my understanding is the man is lucky to be alive.)

I'm no expert, but horse is completely panicked and these guys continue to leap at instead of all getting out of the ring (or moving to the center) and letting the thing calm down. Plus the person in charge doesn't issue any commands to the participants until things are pretty much out of control.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 28, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

chitoryu12 posted:

Driver was sleeping with the second guy's wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Horses are assholes, Volume VII:

http://youtu.be/SeeFvmRi6xM

• Locked thread