Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I have a portable air conditioner in my sun room that we cut a 5 inch hole for the exhaust. Trouble is we have a second one that I'd rather use and it has a 6 inch hose. I've googled like crazy and can't seem to find a reducer for these types of hoses. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

tomapot posted:

I have a portable air conditioner in my sun room that we cut a 5 inch hole for the exhaust. Trouble is we have a second one that I'd rather use and it has a 6 inch hose. I've googled like crazy and can't seem to find a reducer for these types of hoses. Any ideas?

Cut a larger hole?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

tomapot posted:

Duck tape?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Edit: Nevermind.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Cut a larger hole?

I'd rather keep the hole the same size since almost all the portable A/C units I've seen have 5 inch hoses. If I can get a way to reduce it I'm covered for whichever unit I get in the future. Also the hole was cut by the room installer and I don't want to mess with it and lose warranty or pay for him to come back out.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

You're making a toilet tank, then putting a pump in it, right?
Does nobody except you and I get that concept? The float valve is for makeup water from a pressurized source. The tank sits at or near the bottom of the slide, the pump pumps water to the top. When enough water is lost, the float drops and water from a municipal water supply or canal or wherever at a pressure not more than 100psi (6bar) refills the tank.

I mean, I realize your picture isn't the best, but even the very first cursive-slathered one and the text of the post immediately conveyed what you wanted to do.

I think we're all on the same page now. Except this post.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

tomapot posted:

I'd rather keep the hole the same size since almost all the portable A/C units I've seen have 5 inch hoses. If I can get a way to reduce it I'm covered for whichever unit I get in the future. Also the hole was cut by the room installer and I don't want to mess with it and lose warranty or pay for him to come back out.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Flow-6-in-to-5-in-Round-Reducer-R6X5/100170194

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

This will help...

When I said neighbor's backyard I didn't really mean that. The red line is the actual property line of the neighborhood. All the houses on the street maintain/mow the area between their property and the creek. The actually land is owned by a church and rented out to a farmer. It's actually really nice. Great place to hit golf balls and play soccer, baseball etc. We love it and always worry about someone building directly behind us. I know this is highly unlikely do to the water issue, but we still get nervous when people start sticking flags in the ground.

So those 2 flags to the south-west aren't actually in the neighbor's yard, but in the area he maintains.

Another neighbor of mine wondered if they were surveying to make the area official protected wetlands. ??? Just another guess based on nothing.

I should just make some calls and see what I can learn, but it's not that big of deal, i'm just curious.

Thanks for your help.

That looks like a whole lot of nothing to me. In NC, when you mark flood plains, you have to put in permanent markers. However, unless you see actual survey nails in the ground (They'll probably near the bottom two dots, and you'll see flags on your actual property corners along that line for reference points), or they start adding in more flags to that make some sort of sense, it's probably nothing? I mean, if they were going to re cut the creek, there would be a lot more flags and probably a lot of wooden stakes marking depths and cut levels.

I mean, they could be doing something, but normally if they were you'd notice a lot more markers both up and down the creek as they'd definitely have to get a topograph of the area before any real engineering could be done.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

This seems like as good of a place as any:

Cut my forearm last night real bad on a rusty car fender while changing a strut. Put some gauze on it, then a paper towel, then held it on with electrical tape. Now the gauze is like growing into the wound or some bullshit. Should I remove the gauze? I feel like this is going to make it start bleeding again but also don't want the gauze to become a permanent part of my arm.

PS: No, I don't have health insurance and probably won't go to a doctor

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

welp

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Nevermind I guess. The rest of the internet has me covered, need to change bandage -- who would have thought?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I was going to suggest maybe the plumbing thread?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Your last tetanus shot was when?

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Bad Munki posted:

Normally I just wouldn't worry about it, many is a time that electrical tape and paper towels have healed my wounds. This one was really loving scary deep though and probably needed stitches. The good news is you can no longer see my arm muscle and that seems like A Good Thing

<edit>

tetanus shot was forced on me during an ER visit 5-6 years ago??

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

apatite posted:

forced on me

Picture's becoming clearer.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Bad Munki posted:

Picture's becoming clearer.

by "forced on me" I mean that I couldn't tell them when I last had a shot so they gave me one anyway and then charged a hilarious amount of money even though the cuts were from broken glass, not metal (I am not some rabid antivaxxer or whatever is hip these days)

anyway this has been apatite derailing the quick questions thread, now back to your regularly scheduled programming

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Well if you wake up and can't open your jaw all the way, you probably will want to go to the doctor!

I'm currently looking to do a serious shower (stall) cleaning job - cleaning/resealing the grout, and replacing all of the caulking. If I want to take off the door bracket, assuming it's screwed into anchors in the tile, is there a trick to avoiding trashing everything so I can just screw things back in once I'm done cleaning?

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Gothmog1065 posted:

That looks like a whole lot of nothing to me. In NC, when you mark flood plains, you have to put in permanent markers. However, unless you see actual survey nails in the ground (They'll probably near the bottom two dots, and you'll see flags on your actual property corners along that line for reference points), or they start adding in more flags to that make some sort of sense, it's probably nothing? I mean, if they were going to re cut the creek, there would be a lot more flags and probably a lot of wooden stakes marking depths and cut levels.

I mean, they could be doing something, but normally if they were you'd notice a lot more markers both up and down the creek as they'd definitely have to get a topograph of the area before any real engineering could be done.

Thanks. Last night my girl said, "There were like 10 guys back there today looking at pieces of paper and pointing alot."

I said, "Did you ask them what they were doing?" "No."

"Did you notice any vehicles and what words or logos may have been on them?" "No."

She's obviously not worried.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Thanks, I went looking for something like that and could not find it. I also searched a bunch of the A/C accessories sites for something plastic.

Bad Munki posted:

Or the electrical thread if you need to cauterize it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

apatite posted:

by "forced on me" I mean that I couldn't tell them when I last had a shot so they gave me one anyway and then charged a hilarious amount of money even though the cuts were from broken glass, not metal (I am not some rabid antivaxxer or whatever is hip these days)

anyway this has been apatite derailing the quick questions thread, now back to your regularly scheduled programming

Tetanus does not magically come from metal, idiot, it's naturally occurring in soil and if you get cut you are getting a vaccine if you're not up to date because there's no loving reason to not give it to you

Jesus Christ why am I even bothering, you come to a DIY thread for medical advice

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

NancyPants posted:

Tetanus does not magically come from metal, idiot, it's naturally occurring in soil and if you get cut you are getting a vaccine if you're not up to date because there's no loving reason to not give it to you

Jesus Christ why am I even bothering, you come to a DIY thread for medical advice

Thank you for the information and insults :)

DIY thread for DIY medical advice, what could possibly go wrong? :dance:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

apatite posted:

DIY thread for DIY medical advice, what could possibly go wrong? :dance:

Well, tetanus, for one? :v:

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Bad Munki posted:

Well, tetanus, for one? :v:

also serious infections!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Did obama make it so all americans have to have some basic insurance to cover poo poo like this?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Did obama make it so all americans have to have some basic insurance to cover poo poo like this?

Or pay a penalty, yeah, and there's tax breaks / grants for low-income people. There should be some way for you to get proper medical attention on this injury without having to pay through the nose for it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

apatite posted:

This seems like as good of a place as any:

Cut my forearm last night real bad on a rusty car fender while changing a strut. Put some gauze on it, then a paper towel, then held it on with electrical tape. Now the gauze is like growing into the wound or some bullshit. Should I remove the gauze? I feel like this is going to make it start bleeding again but also don't want the gauze to become a permanent part of my arm.

PS: No, I don't have health insurance and probably won't go to a doctor

At least see if you qualify for Medicaid.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dear Fix It Fast thread,

Maybe you can help me out on this one, not sure where else to ask: US healthcare?????

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There should be some way for you to get proper medical attention on this injury without having to pay through the nose for it.

Yeah, but it'll probably be mostly healed anyway by the time the passport shows up in the mail.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Baronjutter posted:

Most (all? I haven't checked) of the obamacare exchange plans are high deductible, so for a minor injury you'd still be paying the bill yourself.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

The only way to remove this stuff is mechanically. I had a blob of it fall on my head last month and had to cut out sections of my hair. In the frenzy I took off my t-shirt, which got then ruined from the inside out. So my advice is to please not be an idiot like me. I'm just bringing it up because nobody else did: stuff is nasty sticky. Wear more protective clothing than just the gloves they recommend.
I'm way too late for this discussion but for anyone using spray foam, do yourself a favor and spend a few bucks on a can of acetone when you're at the hardware store so you can get it while it's still wet.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

When you're recaulking, is it OK to put new caulk over paint (that's on wood or aluminum)? Or do you have to remove all the old paint just like the old caulk? I'm preparing to recaulk the outside edges of window frames, and I know you need to get rid of the old caulk first, but I'm talking about old paint still left solidly adhering to wood or the aluminum window frame, which would be a pain to get every last bit of off. (I know you should get rid of any peeling paint there, which is easy since it's peeling, but that's not what I'm talking about).

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Onomarchus posted:

When you're recaulking, is it OK to put new caulk over paint (that's on wood or aluminum)? Or do you have to remove all the old paint just like the old caulk? I'm preparing to recaulk the outside edges of window frames, and I know you need to get rid of the old caulk first, but I'm talking about old paint still left solidly adhering to wood or the aluminum window frame, which would be a pain to get every last bit of off. (I know you should get rid of any peeling paint there, which is easy since it's peeling, but that's not what I'm talking about).

That's really up to you. For the best seal, you'd have to get down to the bare surfaces and caulk. This causes problems, like you said it's a lot of work, plus not all caulk readily accepts paint if you do want to come back and touch up the paint.

Personally, I would remove absolutely all of the loose paint that you could, then caulk.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I'm looking at adding some sun control window film to one side of my house to keep heat out during the summer, in during the winter, and reduce the glare from direct sunlight. I have two main questions:

First, is there somewhere I can buy decent window films as a DIYer? Unfortunately all the home improvement stores around here carry the exact same limited selection of Gila films. In particular, I think I want the kind of reflective film that HOAs don't like, as I understand that provides the most efficient heat rejection (since it gets reflected out rather than absorbed), I don't care about night visibility, and my neighbors can't see the windows on this side. I know a lot of the higher-end films (3M etc) need to be professionally installed, but it seems like there's a lot of options I'm missing out on.

Second, what's the truth about window films and double-pane windows? I see some places saying you can never use them because heat buildup will damage the seals, other places say that's bullshit and all but the darkest blackout film works fine. Half the windows on that side of the house are double-pane and half single-pane for some reason, and it would suck if I couldn't just use one roll to cover all of them. I don't think any of the windows are low-E or anything.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I need to desolder and solder on a new faucet to the outside of my house. However there's about an inch of pipe sticking out from the wall which is covered in vinyl siding. Any suggestions for what I might want to use to keep the torch from melting the vinyl?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

Squibbles posted:

I need to desolder and solder on a new faucet to the outside of my house. However there's about an inch of pipe sticking out from the wall which is covered in vinyl siding. Any suggestions for what I might want to use to keep the torch from melting the vinyl?

Fireproof cloth.

EvilMayo fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 28, 2015

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Squibbles posted:

Non smart-rear end answer: how about a piece of scrap whatever wood with a hole in it? (Although suppose some heat could sneak in if the hole was too big)

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

Tyson Tomko posted:

Non smart-rear end answer: how about a piece of scrap whatever wood with a hole in it? (Although suppose some heat could sneak in if the hole was too big)

So you can set the wood on fire and burn a big hole in the siding?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Interesting, I didn't know they made such products. I'll have to take another look around home depot or similar I guess.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

So you can set the wood on fire and burn a big hole in the siding?

Assuming you aren't wrapping the pipe in kindling, it'll take a fair bit for the wood to actually catch on fire. Wood has a pretty good heat capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insta
Jan 28, 2009
It can also be soaked in water for half an hour ... but fireproof cloth is probably the better way to go.